All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hans Olsen Strand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Judy Foley
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  18:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I previously requested information on my grandfather Hans Olsen Strand and received tremendous help. Now, I am trying to locate information on his family after the death of his mother, Lina Jonsdatter.

According to Statsarkivet i Hamar, a Lina Jonsdatter Opi under Stormoen died Dec. 15, 1872. Nord-Odal parish register listed her as 44 years. Our Lina would have been only 28 at that time. Since Lina's husband, Olof Olsson Opi, remarried in 1874, I assume Lina did die at 28. Is there a different record or could the age be in error?

The 1875 census from Statsarkivet shows Ole Olsen and his wife Dortea Knudsdatter and children, which include Julius, Ole and Hans (born to Ole and Lina) and Lina Olsdatter, born 1875. Is there a link where I could get a copy of this census?

I have located Julius and Hans in the USA. Is there a record of their brother Ole (born in 1865) emigrating?

Statsarkivet said the 1900 census shows Ole and Dortea at Bjornstadholen under farm no. 49/26 in Nord-Odal with their children who were born after 1875. I have not been able to find this farm nor this census and would like to know the names of their children.

I hope this is not too confusing. I will appreciate any help you can give me. My sister and I plan to travel to Norway next summer. Any information you can supply will enrich our experience. Thank you.

Judy Foley

DALB
Medium member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  19:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norwegian Digital Archives -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar&spraak=e
1900 census
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=12&filnamn=f00418&gardpostnr=486&merk=486#ovre

Person list Circuit Circuit Farm no. Farm unit no. Farm Outhouse No. of pers. No. of persons No. of pers. domiciled Grain, potatoes Cattle Poultry Bee-hive Vegetable garden Orchard
486 65 Nordre Odalen 9 Under 49 26 Bjørnstadholen n 6 5 6 j j n n n n
Household no. Given name Last name Sex Resident Temp. residence Family pos. Marital status Occupation Year of birth Birth place Nationality Religion
3127 1 Ole Bjørnstadholen m b Hf g Skogsarbeider, lidt Jordbrug. Husmand med lidt Jord (egne Huse) 1837 Gunnarskog Prstg. Vermeland Sverige N S
3128 Dortea Knudsdtr. k b Hm g Arbeiderhustru 1845 T N S
3129 Kristoffer Olsen m f Vaaler, Solør S ug Skogsarbeider 1876 T N S
3130 Karen Olsdtr. k b D ug Kvindeligt Haandarb. 1878 T N S
3131 Oskar Olsen m b S ug Skogs- og Jordburgsarb. 1885 T N S
3132 Ragnvald Olsen m b S ug Barn 1889 T N S
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  20:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Judy Foley

According to Statsarkivet i Hamar, a Lina Jonsdatter Opi under Stormoen died Dec. 15, 1872. Nord-Odal parish register listed her as 44 years. Our Lina would have been only 28 at that time. Since Lina's husband, Olof Olsson Opi, remarried in 1874, I assume Lina did die at 28. Is there a different record or could the age be in error?
Judy Foley
Dead 05 Nov 1872, buried 15 Dec 1872, lodgerwife Lina Jonsdatter born 1844, residence: Opi under Stormoen.
Source: Hedmark county, Nord-Odal, Parish register (official) nr. 4 (1866-1873), Death and burial records 1873, page 208.

The record says "f. 44", meaning born 1844. So she should be 28 years old then...

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  21:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would not the parish records be just as good as the census?
Julius born Sept 1, bapt. Oct 11 1863, the parents were then at Holen under Søndre Stormoen, see
Ole born Jan 21 1866 and bapt. Febr 18, the parents were then living at Sandholen under Berg nedre, see #21
Hans born Febr 3 1872 and bapt. March 3, the parents were then at Oppi, see #22
Lina was born Oct 25 1874 and bapt. Lina Matilde Nov 22, see #105
You probably know that Olof and Lina married May 17 1863, see #13

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 14/10/2008 22:24:34
Go to Top of Page

Judy Foley
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  03:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all--everything has been helpful! No wonder I couldn't find Ole when his last name was listed as Bjornstadholen. And now I have the names of all the children, and know I had the right Lina. It looks like Ole Olsson Oppi moved around a lot.

How can I find out where these farms were/are located: Oppi, Stranden Magnaes (the first place Ole lived when he came to Norway from Sweden in 1858 ; Opi under Stormoen; Holen under Sondre Stormoen; Sandholen under Berg; Knapperholen under Stormoen; Bjornstadholen? Judy Foley
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  08:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use this map
write the name of the farm in the line for "SØK" (search) and click SØK, select "sted/adresse" (place/address) on the left side and choose among the possible places popping up - example "Oppi (Gårdsbruk)
Nord-Odal, Hedmark" - click on Hybrid and zoom in pushing +

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 15/10/2008 14:03:56
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  23:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Judy,
I've tried to locate these farms for you.

1) "Knapperholen under Stormoen" >> Knapperholen under Stormoen søndre 43/12
2) "Holen under Sondre Stormoen" >> Holen nedre under Stormoen søndre  43/49
3) "Stranden"                    >> Stranda under Stormoen nordre      48/19
4) "Opi under Stormoen"          >> Oppi under Stormoen nordre         48/48
5) "Magnaes"                     >> Mangnes under Berg nordre          49/79
6) "Bjornstadholen"              >> Bjørnstadholen under Berg nordre   49/100
7) "Sandholen under Berg"        >> Sandholen under Berg nordre        49/109

The digits above is the farms Land number and Title number (Norw: Gnr/Bnr). They would be useful to refer to when you talk to the local farmers in the area...
This area is 90 minutes (100 km) north of Oslo, approximatly 30-40 minutes north of Oslo airport Gardermoen.

I'm not 100% sure of the location of Knapperholen and Holen under Sondre Stormoen, but I believe it should be in the area south of Ringkilen.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hans Olav Aker
New on board

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  15:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
You don´t know me, but I am a member of Norway Heritage and discovered your try to find relatives in Norway a couple of years ago. At that time I was not a member and haven´t seen your request until now.
I am not a relative, but my wife is: Her name is Liv Benthe Aker, her father was Ole Kristoffersen Austad and her greatgrandfather was Kristoffer Olsen, and was a brother of Hans (your grandfather).
Probably you know trhat Hans had two brothers and one sister who emigrated to North America as well. (Julius, Ole and Josephine).
A lady in Minnesota, Margit Bakke, has helped me to find out some names, but still I don´t know much except that Julius lived in Duluth.
Please contact us if you are interested in this. We will be looking forward to know more about your family. As far as I know your mother´s name was Hulda. That is a very Norwegian name.
Give us some words.
Liv Benthe and Hans Olav Aker, Larvik, Norway.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  22:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried an e-mail to the topic owner?

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hans Olav Aker
New on board

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  08:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried just now. I am new in this forum (and in Norway-Heritage, member since yesterday) and didn´t think of the fact that I could use the e-mail to the owner. I hope she will respond. Judy has a lot of relatives in Norway, also some in Nord-Odal. My wife spended a lot of summer holidays at her father´s home, Austad.
Hans Olav and Liv Benthe
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Have you tried an e-mail to the topic owner?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article