All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Farm name Knain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sue Harpold
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2008 :  20:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crymisty

In the documents you receive from the Historical Society, there maybe obits that will help you sift thru the date confusion (on the other hand, they could also be in error). Rubbish in, rubbish out, as the computer people say. The data is only as good as the input (informants know of what they speak). If you don’t receive obits, look for them in the local papers of the area.

One other source of information, are undertaker records (if they are kept by the County of residence). They could be available thru the Register of Deeds, with the Court records of the same period and/or in the archived repository. Another source is burial records kept by the Church, where he is buried. They are kept by the church ‘Sexton’; you’d have to find out whom that party is for a particular church. If an old church ceases to exist & no longer maintains their cemetery, the records are transferred to the Township in the County - where the church is located, along with ownership of the same. In that case, the contact becomes the Township government office.

One newbie to another - now would be a good time to read or re-read, the article in the link you were given, on: Norwegian farms - some background information. It will help you much to understand your people’s ties to a particular place when you begin to review parish records from Norway. They could have descended thru both owners and tenants of the same, as mine have. It helped me much, in sorting that all out.

I won’t be rejoining your post again, unless it is found, that you do have blood ties to some of the same people I do. Then - I’ll link you to some other sources I have found. Right now, it would be too much info and may not even apply. Yours was the first post that I ever contributed to. I am still struggling when I try to read records in Norway. So glad that the census record for 1910, was one of those you were looking for and may help. The wonderful people on this site have given me so much. It was nice to pitch in, even in such a small way.

S Harpold
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2008 :  04:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sue, I see that you posted a quote of what I added earlier. But, I'm not sure what you are looking for?
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  19:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eibache you posted on 21/11/2008
'Bygdeboken for Hurdal confirms that Gulbrand Larsen Knai (Bertelstua), who was the son of Lars Gulbrandsen and Marte Børgersdatter Knai (Søgardn), and his wife Ingeborg-Marie Bertelsdatter had a son Lars Gulbrandsen who married Anne Larsdatter, Nordstua Lundeby - they had a son Gulbrand "married to Opperud" - he is then the father of Lauritz whos mother was Berte Carine Haagensdatter, Opperud.'

Can you obtain the parents for Marte Børgersdatter Knai (Søgardn), from the Bygdeboken for Hurdal too?
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  21:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not have the Hurdal bygdebok, it's at the library. I will try a different road.
Bygdeboken for Hurdal confirms that Gulbrand Larsen Knai (Bertelstua), who was the son of Lars Gulbrandsen and Marte Børgersdatter Knai (Søgardn) - see ** below, and his wife Ingeborg-Marie Bertelsdatter (married Nov 3 1794 see bottom rhp) had a son Lars Gulbrandsen (bapt Sept 11 1796 see 16th Trini ) who married Anne Larsdatter, Nordstua Lundeby (Jan 3 1821 see #5) - they had a son Gulbrand (born Jan 22 1821, bapt. Febr 4 #7) "married to Opperud" - he is then the father of Lauritz whos mother was Berte Carine Haagensdatter, Opperud.
** Parish records not available in Hurdal or Eidsvoll for further confirmations. LDS record says Marthe Børgersdatters parents were Børger Evensen and Inger Christensdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/01/2009 21:04:15
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  23:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I found this Norwegian family tree, it looks like you might have distant relatives in Norway from Marie Bertelsdatter´s parents
This information is likley coming from Hurdal Bygdebok, click on "Innholdsfortegnelse" and ask the owner for further information.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/01/2009 23:20:33
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  07:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sue, so far we do not have a connect in our lines, other than to the farm itself. It was only a suppostion on my part, that Suzanna Børgersdtr in our line might be related to Marthe Børgersdatter in the one you are researching. Suzanna Børgersdtr's father was Børger Svensen, so that is not correct.

Eibache determined that Marthe Børgersdatter's parents were Børger Evensen and Inger Christensdatter. That being the case, the other histories I am aware of, wouldn't be about the people in the line you are researching.

Thank you Eibache.
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  05:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After looking at the other family tree the researchers directed you to, thought you might also find of interest the 1801 Census record for Knajen.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=45&filnamn=f10239&gardpostnr=3&personpostnr=171&merk=171#ovre

I think that Lars Gulbrandsen and Marte Børgersdatter Knai, are the in-laws from the first marriage of Nils Knajen to Anne Catrine wife/mother of his children and recorded as the mother for the last of 'his' children, Carl, born 1797, in parish records. Nils Knajen has remarried to Else Ulrichsdtr, age 39, at the time of the Census, but the in-laws are still residing with them.

Guldbrand Larson & his wife Ingeborg Bertelsdatter are also listed on the same farm, in this1801 census, with their children Lars (5) and Ingeborg (3) Guldbrandsen. He is 'Bonde og gaardbruger' (owns his land).
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  19:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sue
You might want to read the thread "Need information on Karoline Khristiansen b. 1838", that I started. Hopefully, you won't find it too confusing. It would appear that we are distantly related (per information found in other trees), very far back. The direct line I'm researching, you might also find of interest. At the end of the thread, is the info on our possible tie to one another. It would require a lot of proving. Well wishes as you continue to research your direct line.
Go to Top of Page

JosephKnain
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  00:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Great Great Great Grandfather, Joseph Knain, moved from Norway ( Hurdal, Norway, Knain Farmstead) to America. My Great Grandfather put together a family tree, ( more of a book of family facts really) that explains many of the family tree once in America. It would be great to learn more about before my family moved to America, and I can help if there are any questions regarding around the Norway to America move as I have alot of documentation as far as addresses and names of the Knain family.

Thanks, Joseph
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2010 :  06:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about indicating a time span?

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Sue Harpold
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  17:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joseph,
My ancestor was worked in the Knain farm- I'd love to know more about where your GG father emigrated to and any information that you have on the farm itself.

Sue Harpold

S Harpold
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  23:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
its more than a year since we worked with Knain, I kept this photo of Knain taken 1959 owned by Akerhus museum.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JosephKnain
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  01:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I shall try to answer as many questions as possible but I only know as much as my grandfather recorded in this book, which I might add is a bit old in itself. As we have it written my Three-Times-Great Grandfather Joseph E. Knain moved from Norway (Hurdal presumably) to the United States( Fargo, North Dakota), the time that this emigration occurred cannot come to mind at the moment but I shall try to provide that information later. If there is anything else I can help you with that was only the tip of the iceberg so I can provide more detail or facts of other sorts if needed, and sorry for the late response!

Thanks, Joseph
Go to Top of Page

Sue Harpold
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  05:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JosephKnain

Hi,
I shall try to answer as many questions as possible but I only know as much as my grandfather recorded in this book, which I might add is a bit old in itself. As we have it written my Three-Times-Great Grandfather Joseph E. Knain moved from Norway (Hurdal presumably) to the United States( Fargo, North Dakota), the time that this emigration occurred cannot come to mind at the moment but I shall try to provide that information later. If there is anything else I can help you with that was only the tip of the iceberg so I can provide more detail or facts of other sorts if needed, and sorry for the late response!

Thanks, Joseph

S Harpold
Go to Top of Page

Sue Harpold
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  05:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Joseph,
I'm sorry that I posted your reply in a reply. It has been a while since I have been here and since this thread has been active and I forgot how to reply.

So, I hope I am doing it correctly now

I wanted to make sure that you saw the post from Kaarto dated 5-12-08 in which a link to your family farm is posted with photographs. There is also an email address there for Olaf Knai - He must be your relative in Norway?

S Harpold
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article