All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Bernhard Peterson, abt 1853, and Olivia, abt 1865
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2008 :  07:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barney Peterson, b Norway, abt 1853, spouse Oliva, b Norway, abt 1865, appear in the Wisconsin State Census, 1895 /1905 on-line dbs on Ancestery.com, residence on 1 Jun 1905 - Grant, Dunn, Wisconsin, USA. As you move forward, or back in time, thru census records, it appears that census takers had difficulty with his name. I did further lookups on his son, Andreas, b abt 1902-3.

In the 1920 Federal US Census, Bernhard's immigration date is given as 1875. He still is in Grant, Dunn, Wisconsin, USA, listed as Bernhard Peterson and his wife's (Olivia) immigration date is listed as1875.

I am requesting assistance to determine where they originated from in Norway on behalf of their grand daughter, Ellen, who is now in her 80s.

These two kindly folks, Barney and Olivia, carried for my grandpas very elderly grandparents (John Jensen Grundseth and Anna Gurine Olsdtr) until their deaths. The children of the Grundseths had all died, by the time they reached their early twenties.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2008 :  15:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the 1910 and 1920 US censuses Olivia/Oline's immigration year is actually written as 1888 and she married Barney/Bernhard within two years of her arrival.

That 1920 census indicates that both Barney/Bernhard and his wife became naturalized US citizens in 1913. Obtaining those papers filed with the court of record should give you great information about their origins in Norway. By 1913 those papers were extremely detailed and informative.

A Guide to Finding US Naturalization Records

Edited by - Hopkins on 15/11/2008 16:50:56
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2008 :  23:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the correction of Oline/Olivia's immigration date. I reviewed the original record again. I usually cut and paste so that I don't key incorrectly. But, it appears I messed up and picked up Barney's date twice: The following is correct for immigration:
1875-Bernhard Peterson
1888-Oliva Peterson

I originally located their census records, when viewing the same for Ole and Jennie Paulson (my maternal g-grandparents), who appear next to them in the 1920s record. They are the set of my g-grandparents, I'm currently concentrating on.

I had previously obtained obits for the Grundseths (paternal g-g-grandparents); it was from the same, that Ellen and I found out that my g-g-grandparents, died while living in the home of Barney and Olivia. The families down the line had always been close, but neither of us was aware of this fact, until reading the obits.

I forwarded to her - hard copies of the docs I'd found, because I thought she'd enjoy them and doesn't do computers. Out of that, came this request.

I will obtain their naturalization docs (intent) along with Ole Paulson's. It was one of the last two docs for him that I have yet to get a copy of. I do have his final papers - filed in Bayfield Cty, Wi & marriage certificate - filed in Ashland, Wi. The final papers indicate that the intent was filed in Chippewa. The area these folks lived in, is on the border of Chippewa and Dunn Counties (best to always check both). His final papers noted that his intent was filed in the Circuit Court, for the County of Chippewa, on the 2nd of April, 1887: Native of Sweden arriving at Port of Chicago July, 79.

Census records indicate his mother was Norwegian, his father Swedish, and his dc states he was born in Grue, Solar, Norway (wife informant). His marriage cert. states that his parents were Paul & Karin Hendrickson (her maiden name Olsen from his dc). I have not been able to find him in the parish books for Grue, with that bd. But, I am 'visually challenged.'

I very much appreciate your heads up, on the amount of detail I can expect to find in intent records, filed during this later period. It makes me hopeful that his intent papers will provide leads for him as well. I have reviewed some 1870-80s filings, but nothing from the early 1900s.

I checked the on-line dbs for Dunn and didn't see Barney and Olivia Peterson, in the Index for Court records/naturalization docs. I'll request the same for them from Chippewa with Ole's and then if not found, I'll come back and try alternate spellings in the index for Dunn, again.

Dunn has an on-line index for their archive materials held at the University of Wis - Menomonie Branch. Does not appear that Chippewa records housed at University of Wis. - Eau Claire Branch have been similarly indexed. But, I might be missing it. I have spent much time doing cemetery lookups and searching for court records in Dunn using the indexes. My only area of expertise in this type of research is the cemeteries locally; I am a newbie - started in May of this year.

Thank you again for your response.
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2008 :  04:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A thought occurred to me as I finished up my posting to you, so I went back and gave it one more try, using a word search instead of a last and first name of Peterson, Bernhard.

By using the following, I obtained what I believe is the correct record:
Petersen, Bernhard / bernard / bernhard / bernhart / bernart / bernhard / bernhardt / bernhart

It is the final, not the intent; but it should reference the filing of the intent & I can obtain it on-line from the Dunn repository:
Peterson, Peter Bernhard, #250, June 5, 1913

I successfully found the Grundseth's naturalization record as well, using the same process. If they could have thought of any more ways to spell his name, I can’t imagine what they would have been. On this occasion, it was Grunset, John.

Thank you for the hyacinth; from the letters of which, you can spell, "I hath a tiny hint". Sometimes it is all in how it is put together.

Ellen's interest is in knowing where they came from, not in doing a tree - so very much doubt that I will be requesting further assistance for her in this topic.

Mange Tusen Takk!
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  21:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would appreciate a clarification, that is appropriate to this thread. I am finding that many of my mother's people came from a 'region' referred to as Romerike, in the Eastlands.

Today that area is primarily the counties of Askershus and Aurskog-Holand. But, it is my understanding that Romerike did not have definitive geographic boundries, even though it was a traditional district. It referenced more narrowly a region in the 'Eastlands' of Norway. Today, coming from Wisconsin, I could say that I am from the tri state area of the upper mid-west in the USA, to tell you what part of the USA I'm from. It is an unofficial description, of which Wisconsin is a part. The upper midwest part would be the equivalent to the Eastlands, and tri-state area equivalent to Romerike.

Østlandet / Austlandet (Eastlands) included the following three traditional districts, plus others:

Gudbrandsdalen/ valley and traditional district in the Norwegian fylke (county) of Oppland.
Romerike/ traditional district located north-east of Oslo, in what is today south-eastern Norway.
Hadeland/ traditional district in the south-eastern part of Norway including the municipalities of Gran, Jevnaker and Lunner.

Am I correct that these 'traditional districts' did not have distinct geographic boundaries (they were not surveyed and platted on a map); instead they were used to reference or define general regions, that took in specific municipalities?

Understanding this correctly, will be a big help to me in my current research and assist in explaining some of the oral history of this family & the in-laws, who married into our line.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  22:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wikipedia could be useful, try looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romerike
the individual municipalities have distinct borders. Clicking on them gives you detailed info.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 20/11/2008 22:11:33
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  22:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The red part in this map is the region called Østlandet (Eastlands)

Romerike is a region that consists of the 13 most eastern municipalities in Akershus.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  05:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The division into regions is, by convention, based on geographical and also dialectical differences, but it also follows the county borders approximately.

The above is out of Wikipedia, which I did find to be very helpful. That the borders of Romerike did not exactly follow the county borders, is where I was getting a little confused. to begin with

By combining the info from both of your emails, Jan Peter & Eibache, I now realize that it would be more correct to say that the borders of individual municipalities that are a part of Romerike, do collectively form distinct borders.

I should think in terms of the municipalities and not the county borders, which are close to - but not exactly the same.

I know it sounds like I'm really splitting hairs on this, but in trying to help this friend sort thru their oral history, it got a little confusing. Were they talking about the same place, one within another bigger region, or two different places? The map was a big help, too.

Mange Tusen Takk!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  09:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it means Bernhard could be from the Grundset area, a wellknown marked place in Elverum, or Grue, both municipalites in Hedmark county?

I have Bernhard Pedersen born August 30. 1854 to Peder Pedersen Stenset and Maria Olsdatter in Elverum parish #13, confirmation was Oct. 15. 1871

Bernhard Pedersen born April 16. 1856 to Peder Pedersen and Pernille Tostensdatter Toverud in Grue.
Bernhard worked as a servant on farm Sorknæs in the 1875 census for Grue, #283

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 21/11/2008 09:20:00
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  11:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most likely your first find in Elverum. The wife of the elderly folks they cared for, came from Elverum/ husband was born in Vang. See census for 1865 with this information:
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1116&kenr=002&bnr=0068&lnr=000

The census is wrong for his birthdate (Johan Jenssen). She was five years older than him. Not the other way around/census taker boo boo? Her death certificate which is in agreement with church records gives date of birth as May 14, 1825 & dod June 6, 1915. She was 90 when she passed, so dates most likely correct in docs. Obit gives marriage of Sept 10, 1855. Immigrated 1873. The entire family arrived on the St Olaf, New York ,18th of Apr 1873.

I did not dig into records for Anne Olsdtr & family noted in this cenus past viewing her baptism record and one for a brother Ole, but I know that she did have a younger brother Andrew (in Washington, USA. last name *erley, best guess * = S, due to damaged document) per her obit.

Still am working on two other lines (cooperative efforts) & will be doing these folks last (my line only). Unable initially to locate naturalization filing due to spelling. Ironed that out and it has been requested along with Bernhard's, who was called 'Barney', and filed for naturalization as Peterson, Peter Bernhard, #250, June 5, 1913.

Is it possible that Barney's mother, Maria Olsdatter, & and Anne Gurine Olsdatter were sisters? The generations would work out, making her his aunt & explain why they cared for these elderly folks.

His granddaughter, Ellen, would be so tickled if you could establish this. I can't dig into this line, until the other projects are done. The 'group efforts' have to come first.

If they end up being sisters, then she can also have the tree when it is finished.

Thank you for finding these records.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  11:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernhardt, son of Peder Bergersen and Pernille Torstensdatter at the Torverud farm in 1865

Bernhard Pedersen, son of Peder Pedersen and Maria Olsdatter at Stensæt in 1865

Anne Gurines baptismal record is #35 parents Ole Olsen and Anne Arnesdatter.
Marias baptismal record #2 from the top, left hand page, parents Ole Andersen and Pernille Olsdatter.
They were not sisters.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/11/2008 12:09:15
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  18:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eibache!

Where you applied Ockham's razor (prove or disprove based on new facts - the simpliest possibility), to a connection; this topic can now rest until I get the naturalization papers.

I received so many pennies from heaven last week, I no right to expect a 'tree' to fall on me, too.

Don't invest more time, where I now know the name 'Barney' did use for naturalization/ and have the docs coming. I'll post when I have new data.
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2008 :  06:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received both the intent and final naturalization docs.

Peter Bernhard Peterson, born 16th day of February, 1853, Tromso, Norway. Immigrated on the 10th day of May, from Tromso, 1875, arriving New York port on the 30th day of June, 1875. Stating that he did not remember the name of the ship, he filed his intent on the 24th day of September, 1886, at Eau Claire, in the Circuit Court of Eau Claire County, Wis.

He was married to Oliva Peterson, had 10 children, the oldest being Peter, b Aug 11, 1889, and the youngest being Rachel, b. Sept 21st, 1907. All born and reside at Colfax, Wis., and that he had resided in Wis since the 3rd of July 1875.

The witnesses on the affidavit of petitioner & witness were signed on 5th of June, 1913:
Carl Sorkness - Farmer
Hartvill Gunderson - Farmer

I believe that I am finding him in the 1865 census, birthdates are approx. correct. The family has moved out by 1875. Another family is in the same address.

Were it not for the fact I use my middle name, & have never myself gone by the first; I would not have been 'creative enough' to find the intent papers. Signing my own name gave me the thought. Whatever works.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2008 :  08:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Peter Bernhard Peterson, born 16th day of February, 1853, Tromso, Norway. Immigrated on the 10th day of May, from Tromso, 1875

I have not found his baptismal record, confirmation record, 1865 census or any evidence that he moved out from Tromsø in 1875.
Strange.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/11/2008 10:25:26
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2008 :  16:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you know that Johan Jensen and Anne Gurine Olsdatter and their children moved from Elverum to Namsos March 31 1863?
See #4-9
quote:
Her death certificate which is in agreement with church records gives date of birth as May 14, 1825
the parish record says she was born May 13, bapt May 29, see #35
Her parents were Ole Olsen, Leiret and Anne Arnesdatter.
quote:
Obit gives marriage of Sept 10, 1855
parish record says Nov 10 1854, see #38
It was Johan Jensen who then was living at Østre Grundseth and his father Jens Jensen was living at Leerbergbakken.
They were married when Johan Peter was born June 8 1855, see #105

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/11/2008 20:49:42
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2008 :  20:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eibache
Thank you for doing that part of the 'digging'. Where you can't locate those records, further investigation isn't warranted. Too much effort, without much possibility of finding anything, unless I can come up with better ‘dots’ to connect.

I do have a theory, based on 1) another family history of the ‘Rostamos’ and 2) 'oral history' I just received on the Grundseth line, which is now down to two family groups.

I learned much in the family history. Synopsis follows:
In January of 1879, a diphtheria epidemic passed through Northern Wisconsin. It is recorded in the history I read; that family, who lost many members, buried children in common graves in the Holden Lutheran Church Cemetery north of Colfax, Wisconsin. Where several members (children & young adults) of the Grundseths died young during this period and to date I can't locate their burial places. This may provide an explanation. The Grundseths, themselves are buried in this cemetery, as is my gg-grandmother. There is a record of her brother's probate, where he died without wife or issue and his property passed to my ggg grandparents, the Grundseths, but again no burial location.

The next avenue I intend to search for them (the 5 deceased young ones without recorded graves) are thru undertaker records. These records are also maintained with court records in the Dunn County local archives. I do want to nail this down, but am prioritizing contact with the living. Lost one of so few already.

A Sexton for the cemetery where this group is buried (and whose family is also buried there), is the author of the history I referenced. It is of the migration of his people from the Rostadmo farm in Rostadalen, Målselv, state of Troms, Norway to an area in Northern Wisconsin - in general terms referred to as the 'Red Cedar Valley', Wisconsin, USA. The mother of these folks, ‘now all deceased – Rustamos’, remarried following her husbands death at 33. The family moved to the farm, of the step-father (Martin Knudson) & were raised there. As is obvious, the children of the first marriage, adopted the farm name as a surname when they immigrated. Their history is significant to me because he is aware that there was a close connection to the Grimsruds (the folks that lost so many - they buried children in a common grave) and the Grundseths. He remembers there being 'visiting between the two families', but past that no defined connection & that both families were 'old-timers' in the history of the Holden Church, Dunn County, Wisconsin.

The oral history, I just received, is that ' two brothers, who were miners of 'copper', hit a vein that provided the money for their immigration to the USA'. One of these would be Johan Jenssen (wife Anne G. Olsdatter) found in the 1865 Census of Norway, in the Municipality of Eigersund, listing his occupation as that of mining. The oral history, at least occupation, is confirmed by the census record, which lists his occupation as 'arbeider i Malgruber'. The baptism record for his wife (Anne G. Olsdatter) establishes a tie to the farm Grunset/Grundseth in Elverums Parish.

The contributor of the oral history had been told that the surname “Grunseth” was derived from the occupation of ‘seal hunter’. I think for this part, they are ‘getting tangled in their own feet’. Easy to do for us folks where we have so little passed on to us. Their grandmother and my grandfather next generation were abandoned by their father, so have another name to add to the soup, but not much else.

The death of all of the Grundseths so young, added to the abandonment by ‘father named Selvig’, and subsequent abandonment by their grandfather Carlson, I am thinking has them confused as to which surname may have been derived from ‘seal hunter’. I think that Grundseth/Grunseth surname was adopted from either the Grunset area or the farm name Anne Olsdatter’s people were associated with; It may possibly be one of the other surnames coming down of ‘Selvig’ or ‘Carlson’ that might be derived from the ‘seal hunter’.

I have attempted to stub these last two names out, using an online dictionary, but was not successful, all I came up with was selv=self . It may have just been a reference as to how they made their living at one time too. If you think that either Selvig or Carlson could somehow be associated with seals, that would be helpful? Long explanation, hopefully simple ?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article