All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Still looking for Eleonore Larsen/Hans/Bergersen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2008 :  19:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've hit a brick wall where my great-aunt, Eleonore Eugenie Therese Larsen is concerned. She came to America in 1905 as a 22 year old woman (born 1883), to be married to a man in North Dakota. I found her on the Montebello, April 1905. Her name was listed as Hans. which could mean Hansen (her grandfather's last name). The ship went to Hull, England and she took the SS Arabic out of Liverpool on April 14th. She traveled with Otilie Sorensen and her husband, Ludwig. They landed in Boston and probably took a train to Sauris, ND. She was travelling by the name of Eleanore Bergersen on the Arabic. Perhaps that was her husband-to-be's name? The Sorensen's settled in Divide County but Eleanore is nowhere to be found.

Anyone got any ideas??? Thanks for your help.

Mary L. Keys

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  02:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron Bestrom sent me a ship's manifest from the Arabic and sure enough, her name is listed there as Bergersen, Eleanore, with Eugenie and Therese written above it. So we do have some clue, but now what?

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2008 :  22:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try Ellen or Elen, instead of Eleanore?
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2008 :  01:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I'll do that. I don't have a last name of the man she married but it could have been Bergersen. Otherwise why would she change her name from Larsen to Hansen to Bergersen. Ah, my mystery woman.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2008 :  03:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mkeys,

Not to nitpick, but there is not a town in North Dakota called "Sauris." On the off chance that that spelling is just a typo--there is a town called Souris which is in Bottineau County.

Here is a tidbit from the North Dakota naturalization records online at the Institute of Regional Studies site:

Bergerson, Eleonore Norway October 31, 1905 1st Ward D-11 078
Bergerson, Gudrun Norway October 03, 1906 1st Ward D-12 008

A check at the BLM site finds a Gudrun Bergerson taking a homestead in Williams County, North Dakota. No Elenor / Eleonore however.

What was Eleonore's birthdate? There is a Lena Bergerson in the ND death index online for L.B. b. 25 July 1884 d. 26 Sept 1966. May or may not be a connection.... But there is also this more interesting entry for Ellen Bergerson d. 20 Jan 1928 died in Ward County age 44 years...

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 29/12/2008 03:59:30
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2008 :  07:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birth info at this topic

Einar
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  21:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eleanore was born in Akershus, Kristiania, in March 1883.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  21:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Souris would be correct, in Divide County. Grandma always said she settled in Hope, ND, in Steele County. The last name was spelled Bergersen in the records, not Bergerson, but that may not be so important.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eleonore came with three other people, the Sorensen's and an older man by the name of Isak Hansen. His son, whose name is listed as Jackson, paid their ways. Now Jackson is probably wrong. It may be Isaksen, which makes more sense. She may have come to ND to marry him and not Bergersen (or NOT). They went to Souris but no trace of her after that.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What exactly are you looking for?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like a marriage record, a census record, or citizenship papers. She came in April of 1905. Others have said they could have gone to Canada but my grandmother always said Hope, ND. Her full name was Eleonore Eugenie Therese. She could have used an Americanized version of any of those names. I still think she was going to marry someone named Bergersen. Otherwise, why would she change her name again?

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  22:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you contacted genealogical and/or historical societies in those North Dakota counties? Studied the histories and where they have their vital records stored? Checked with their public libraries to see if copies of newspapers of that time period are available for searching?

Have you studied the censuses for those counties to see if you might be able to spot likely candidates for matching your "Eleonore"? Explored the many North Dakota websites devoted to genealogical pursuits and learned what might be the next best steps?

Have you explored in the LDS Family History Library catalog to learn what resources for those areas are available for you to order and use on microfilm and/or microfiche?

North Dakota GenWeb
Cyndi's List -- North Dakota
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  22:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is one "Lenora A Brastad" in Hennepin, MN, census-1910. She is born ab. 1882. Could she be Eleonore Eugenie Brustad?

She does however not appear to be indexed as born in Norway, nor does she have any immigration year so she looks to be born in the US...
She resides at a family by the name of John & Christie Mor.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 08/02/2009 22:19:13
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  00:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She wouldn't be a Brustad since that was my grandmother's married name. I never thought of her possibly changing her first name to Lenora, though. She would be a Larsen (birth name) or Hansen (name she took to come to America) or Bergersen, name she took when she boarded the S.S. Arabia for Boston.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  00:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A number of 'volunteers' have tried to find her on many of the items you mentioned. They've had no luck either. I'll check again on the two you mention. Thank you.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

Sheena Boese

New Zealand
32 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  11:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, just an idea as you are looking for a marriage record, did they either marry before boarding the Arabic in England, or on board either of the ships? Is there any online information about the journeys of these ships which states if there were any marriages on board ship? Reading the post's the death record of Ellen Bergerson in 1928 aged 44 seems a strong possibility to also research further. What about her childrens birth certificates with parent details? My other suggestion given my own family research is that her husband "Bergerson" may have been killed or died soon after and she remarried again in the US? Good Luck, Sheena.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article