All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Dahl (Trondheim/Vardø)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  18:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally 566 Hagen buried in Sør-Trøndelag county, 318 in Trondheim, enter choose cemetery here

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 30/01/2011 19:00:33
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  19:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kare. this was helpful.

Here is Laurine Mathilde Hagen death record along with some of her family. Laurine was spelled Lourine and so it did not come up in the search.....

1023077 Lourine Mathilde Hagen 1949 2104 1949 14 G 25 Lademoen Trondheim Lademoen
1023078 Magnhild Konstance Hagen 1610 1908 0207 2004 1207 2004 14 G 25 Lademoen Trondheim Lademoen
1023080 Albert Fredrik Hagen 1962 1906 1962 14 G 26 Lademoen Trondheim Lademoen
1023082 Fredrik Albert Trond Hagen 2502 1908 1976 1207 1976 14 G 26 Lademoen Trondheim Lademoen

I am thinking that Fredrik Albert Trond married Magnhild Konstance.

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 31/01/2011 19:39:35
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  19:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....and Kare.....this leads to finding Fredrik's birth record. The 1910 Census incorrectly says he is born Feb. 25, 1907....his death record in the link you provided says his birth was Feb 25, 1908

Fredrik Albert Trond Hagen #70 boys section
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2011 :  23:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was good news Erik.
One day all headstones will be depicted, when depends on voluteers from the local history societies.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

garetlivermore
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  02:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To All:
I am a great-grandson of Chiel "Charles" Mortensen. My mother, who recently passed away, had very fond memories of her grandfather who was universally called "Pops" by everyone in the Mortensen family. I am a little overwhelmed at this moment by the volume of information contained in this thread about an aspect of my family that I did not know about until this morning. But I will comment on a couple of questions brought up here. In regards to his name, I was unaware of his birth name Pomeranz until reading about it here. The family only referred to themselves as being Mortensens. As to his given name he seemed to go back and forth between Charles and Chiel throughout his life, but later in life returned to using Chiel more often than not. In the US he seemed to have a very happy life with Frederikke, they had 10 children, 9 of whom made it to adulthood. For those who are interested, here is a photograph of Chiel and Frederikke about 1922 with their sons: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23392211@N02/4123253736/in/set-72157623790737509/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/23392211@N02/4123253736/in/set-72157623790737509/

I look forward to sharing more information with everyone.

Regards,

Garet Livermore
Cooperstown, NY

Garet Livermore
Cooperstown, NY
Go to Top of Page

royschoneman
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  11:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garet,

It is a pleasure to hear from you. I am a great grandson of Anna Reese who was your great grandmother's sister. I live in Pennsylvania.

I have a great deal of information on the Reese line to share with you if you would contact me directly.

Regards,

"cousin" Roy
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  16:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Garet. It is great to hear from you. Thank you for sharing the photo of Fredrikke and Chiel....she ressembles my great Aunt, (her sister) Louise Dahl.

What line of Chiel and Fredrikke's family do you come from?

Thank you,

Erik.
Go to Top of Page

garetlivermore
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  03:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik & Roy:

It is great to meet you and become acquainted with some of my cousins. My grandmother, Anna Isabel Mortensen Delanoy Waldron, (1884-1959) was the couple's oldest child. In addition to her there were the following children from this marriage:
- Frederick, 1887 -1975
- Arthur, 1894 - 1964
- Jeanette "Jennie" 1889 - 1958
- Gustave August, 1891 - ? (he died young, perhaps in his 40s, which would put it about 1930 or so)
- Carl, 1899 - 1993
- Marion, 1897 - 1984
- Theodore, 1902 - 1961
- Harold, 1907 -1998

The couple were married in Christiana (Oslo) and also lived in Hammerfest, where my grandmother was born and Trondheim where Harold was born. Settling in the US they lived at first in Yonkers where Chiel worked for the Waring Hat Company in NYC and then moved to Pennsylvania around 1905 to work for the Stetson Hat Company.
There are a number of questions that I have that perhaps you can help me with. One of which is the issue of the name change. I now know that he was born with the name Pomeranz, but would like to figure out when he changed the name. I also know that he was working in Hammerfest as an engraver at the time of Anna's birth (so family lore tells me). Are there any census records from that time would place him under one name or another there? Also, is it possible to obtain a birth certificate for Anna from Hammerfest that might list her parents name? How would I go about getting that information? Also, I would be interested in knowing if Chiel was able to find employment as an engraver in the northern city of Hammerfest.
There are other interesting questions about the man, but I will leave them for another time.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

Garet

Garet Livermore
Cooperstown, NY
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  06:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Erik Carsten

[.......Pommeranz/Reese civil marriage record #1 1883

Garet. Yes we have much information to learn from each other. So as to not misrepresent myself, I am only related to you and Roy through marriage. Louise Reese, Fredrikke's sister, married into our family We had found earlier that Chiel Pommeranz and Fredrikke Reese were married in Trondheim, which is at odds with your family history.

I don't believe we have found the birth record of their 3 Norwegian born children yet?

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 03/03/2011 06:40:01
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  06:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Garet. We had found the birth record of the three Norwegian born children, and they all were born in Trondheim. Below is the birth record of your Anna.. again, Trondheim.

I think it is unlikely Chiel and Fredrikke were ever in Hammerfest. Do you have information otherwise?

Birth Record #59 in Girl's section

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 03/03/2011 06:44:40
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  06:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garet. We had thought that there was another daughter born before youry grandmother, Anna Isabel Mortensen Delanoy Waldron, (1884-1959). There is a birth record for a girl named Esther....who Roy later learned married a Fred Fitch? who may have been from South AFrica?

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=3028&idx_id=3028&uid=ny&idx_side=-147" target="_blank">Birth of Esther in Trondheim #79 (Girls Section Below)

Erik.

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 03/03/2011 06:55:48
Go to Top of Page

garetlivermore
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  12:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, yes there is an Esther in there, but I know nothing about her. Most of this information came from a couple of conversations that I had with my Uncle and Mother about 10 or 15 years ago when I brought my mother to Florida and I sat them down and made them tell me things. It was hard to get them to be systematic about their recollections as they kept lapsing into individual memories of their aunts and uncles and evenings at my grandmother's cabin in the country. When I looked at my scrawled notes from that day in Florida I can see at the corner of the page, "Esther?" I probably missed her when I transcribed the data on to the computer.
The Hammerfest thing is very interesting to me. My mother was always told me that her mother was born in Hammerfest. I don't think that she would knowingly make it up, but myths and legends are rampant in family history.

Garet

Garet

Garet Livermore
Cooperstown, NY
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  19:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Garet. Yes I agree it is stange for such a discrepency and I am at a total loss to explain it. Perhaps there is some grain of truth BUT Hammerfest is so far north and it is clear that Anna and Chiel were married in Trondheim, and that Anna along with her older sister Esther and younger brother Fredrik were all born in Trondheim as well.

Do you or anyone in your family happen to have any photographs of Fredrikke and her family (brothers and sisters) from Norway.

Were you familiar with the names Fredrik and Anna Sofie Reese (Fredrikke's parents thus Anna's grandparents?)

I am thinking that Anna may have been named after her maternal grandmother.

Erik.

Go to Top of Page

garetlivermore
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  03:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik:
I appreciate the chance to communicate with you and others to learn more about the life of my family in Norway and Denmark. As I said, most of the information that I have on this side of the family is from oral history collected over a long period of time and therefore subject to several generations of misinterpretation. Over the years I was able to gain very little information on this side of the family from my mother or her brother. They did remember the Reese family, however they spelled it Riis which was consistent with some of the documentation that I found on them. I'm not sure where that came from since all of the source documents from Norway and Denmark spell it in its original form.
I have been communicating with Roy and he shared a photograph of Frederick and Anna from Trondheim. I know that I have some stored away and will look for them this weekend and see if I can scan them and post them for people to see.
A couple of other questions that I have. First, is there a representation of the Reese family in family tree form somewhere that I could see. I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the information that is flowing on the subject and it would help to see it visually. The second question would be if anyone knows the Reese family descendants still in Trondheim? My aunt visited them years ago (the 1970s?) and I was wondering if they were still alive.

Regards,

Garet

Garet Livermore
Cooperstown, NY
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  04:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Garet,

Yes, in fact I am working on a comprehensive family tree to show how the Reese family fits into my family and it is massive. When I get it completed I will send you a copy.

Pictures would be wonderful. I am thinking there must be a family portrait of Fredrik and Anna Reese along with their children. It would be wonderful to see.

With regards to living descendents in Trondheim. There are no doubt many from Fredrikke's brother Max Reese, and her sister Laurine Mathilde.....there is another researcher who at this very moment is attempting to make contact with them.

The more people we have posting on here the information they have the more we can get a comprehensive picture of the family, and plus it is posted on here for others to enjoy when the genealogy bug bites them too!

Erik.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article