All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Dahl (Trondheim/Vardø)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

chriswith
Starting member

Norway
8 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  20:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To all of you looking for information about family Reese from Trondheim, Norway!

My grandmother was Dorothea Mathilde Reese, daughter of Max Ditlef Lauritz Reese. Thank you for all information on the family of Fredrik Wilhelm Reese and wife Anna Sophie Larsen.

I have resently began researching the family, and I am trying to find relatives alive today.

Dorothea had 5 children, 2 who are alive today, and was grandmother of 11 children.

Yours sincerly, Christian.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  21:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Christian! It is very nice to hear from you! We have been looking for descendents of Max and Karen Reese! One of the researchers here has sent me a family photo of Max Reese and his entire family and I can send it to you. I will contact you directly to get your email address.

Erik.
Go to Top of Page

royschoneman
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  21:37:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, new "cousin",

Welcome to our little group of Reese researchers. I am a descendant of Anna Reese. We are all researching parts of the Reese story and exchanging information. I look forward to sharing information with you.

Regards,

Roy
Go to Top of Page

chriswith
Starting member

Norway
8 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  21:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Erik!

I would really love to have that picture! Thank you!

Who is the researcher who is trying to locate the living family members to the Reese family?

Is there anybody who knows the names of the parents of Fredrik Wilhelm Reese and his wife Anna Sophie Larsen?

Christian.
Go to Top of Page

chriswith
Starting member

Norway
8 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  21:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Roy!

I`m looking forward to exchanging information with you too!

I hope to find many living family members connnected in any way to the Reese family.

Christian.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  21:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
her initials are C.J.J.

We will send her an email to get in touch with you. The gentleman who just posted here after me is Roy and he has an abuntant amount of information on the Reese family.

Together we are putting together a comprehensive history of the family.

My interest is trying to find a family photo of Fredrik and Anna Reese, and also wedding picture of Lovise Reese and August Dahl. They were married in Trondheim in 1906.

Old photos of Lovise might include her first husband and two boys who died at a young age. Her first husband died of cancer. To date I have seen no photos of these people.

Thank you.

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 20/03/2011 21:52:45
Go to Top of Page

Claire Johnson
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  01:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

I am finally joining the conversation! Previously my research has been posted by others who have kindly referred to me as CJ. My entry into the Reese research was a result of my search to learn more about my relative, Karen Lovisa Knutsen, who married Max Reese. Their oldest son, Karl, lived for some time with my grandparents in North Dakota. It is so nice that we have established contact with Christian!

Claire

clairejohnson
Go to Top of Page

Henne
Starting member

Denmark
6 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  00:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all. I see it has been almost a year since the last post here. I hope someone sees my message. I just joined today.

I have no idea how this forum works, but I am a decendant from Frederik Vilhelm Reese and Anna Sophie Larsen's daughter Dorothea Vilhelmine Mathilde Reese. I found this forum through Google, as I was trying to find out if an ancestor named Katrine was one of their children.

From what I have read in this topic/thread, that is not the case, but I am very interested in finding out just exactly who their children were. So far, I only knew of the two oldest, born in Denmark. And from this forum I found out about Lovise Marie. But I noticed the death record said 5-7 children.

Frederik Vilhelm worked as a dairy (google translate seems wrong) tenant - in danish: Mejeriforpagter.

In some of the previous pages I read that someone believed that the Reese's had been known as Riis. That is not the case. Riis Højgård is the farm/place where Dorothea Vilhelmine Mathilde and her husband Peter Jens Møller Sørensen, lived from 1897.

I hope that someone sees the above, and can direct me towards information on Frederik Vilhelm and Anne's other children.
Go to Top of Page

royschoneman
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  09:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Henne

Hello to all. I see it has been almost a year since the last post here. I hope someone sees my message. I just joined today.

I have no idea how this forum works, but I am a decendant from Frederik Vilhelm Reese and Anna Sophie Larsen's daughter Dorothea Vilhelmine Mathilde Reese. I found this forum through Google, as I was trying to find out if an ancestor named Katrine was one of their children.

From what I have read in this topic/thread, that is not the case, but I am very interested in finding out just exactly who their children were. So far, I only knew of the two oldest, born in Denmark. And from this forum I found out about Lovise Marie. But I noticed the death record said 5-7 children.

Frederik Vilhelm worked as a dairy (google translate seems wrong) tenant - in danish: Mejeriforpagter.

In some of the previous pages I read that someone believed that the Reese's had been known as Riis. That is not the case. Riis Højgård is the farm/place where Dorothea Vilhelmine Mathilde and her husband Peter Jens Møller Sørensen, lived from 1897.

I hope that someone sees the above, and can direct me towards information on Frederik Vilhelm and Anne's other children.

Go to Top of Page

royschoneman
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  09:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Henne

Hello and welcome to our group. I am a descendant of Anna Kristine Frederrike Reese, daughter of Frederik and Anna Sofie Larsen. I live in Pennsylvania, USA. I am sure you will hear from others in our group of Reese descendants. Frederik Reese and Anna Sofie Larsen had a granddaughter named Dorothea Mathilde Reese and I assume that is your ancestor.

I look forward to sharing information with you.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

Henne
Starting member

Denmark
6 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  17:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Roy,

I am very happy to find that this is an active place.
As I said, my ancestor is Dorothea Vilhelmine Mathilde Sophie Reese.

As far as I have found, she is the second oldest child of Frederik Vilhelm Reese and Anne Sophie Larsen.

Dorothea was born in Denmark on the 30th August 1860. I have her birth and christening record from the churchbook of Rønbjerg Sogn (Parish), Ringkøbing, Denmark. I also have the entry in a churchbook for her death. In both records her parents are listed as Reese.

At first, I only had her parents initials, but in an old cigarbox that used to belong to my grandmother, I found a photo of a headstone. On this headstone is written
"Her hviler vores Foreldre Anne Sofie og Fredrik Reese Dypt savnet av os eders børn i Norge og Amerika
Translated: Here lies our Parents Anne Sofie and Fredrik Reese Deeply missed by us your children in Norway and America"

And so I was able to find the record of the birth of their oldest daugther (Ane) and their marriage.
I have a census record from 1860 from Rønbjerg Sogn, Ginding Herred, Ringkøbing Amt (which sadly was done before Dorotheas birth so it only lists them and Ane) and they are listed as witnesses/faddere to Dorothea Vilhelmine Mathilde Sophie Reese's second oldest child.

I also have their name in a "booklet" which is the results of someone researching her husbands family, and here Frederik Vilhelm and Anne Sofie are mentioned very briefly.

I will send you my email address as a reply to the email you send me - I am writing the above in this forum in case any others are also thinking that "my" Dorothea is their granddaugther.

My connection to Frederik Vilhelm and Anne Sophie is that they are my great great great grandparents.

Dorothea Vilhelmine Mathilde Sophie married Peter Jens Møller Sørensen. Among their children was my great-grandfather Karl Vilhelm Møller Sørensen. His daugther, Doris Sofie Møller Sørensen was my grandmother (on my fathers side).

I am registered on ancestry.com and will gladly share my gedcom files with any relatives.
Go to Top of Page

Henne
Starting member

Denmark
6 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  18:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read in one of these pages, that Frederik Vilhelm Reese was born in Kiel. And that he was noted as a german (in norwegian records). Well, Kiel was (as far as I have remembered from history lessons) danish at the time of his birth.
In 1864 Denmark lost a substantial part of the mainland, the area known as Sleswig-Holstein, and so, in modern day records, someone would probably mistake Kiel for being german. But I think it is most correct to go by birthyear as well. I would believe that any danish person after 1864 would have recognised Frederik as danish. However, I have a census record in which it looks like he has stated the island Bornholm as being his birthplace. I have not found his birth record and is eager to get proof of his birthplace (and parents).

If he wrongfully and deliberately stated Bornholm as birthplace, and if he did speak danish with an accent, I would imagine he chose Bornholm as people there do have a very different accent/dialect.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  18:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
The Duchy (ruled by a duke) Schleswig Holstein was in a personal union with Denmark (same king) until the 2. Schleswig War in 1864.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

royschoneman
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2012 :  12:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody researching the Reese family.

Just to confirm on this forum, I am now confident that Henne is "one of us". What had confused some of us is that her ancestor Dorothea (Doris), age 4, stayed behind in Denmmark when her parents Frederik and Anna Sophie Reese and the rest of their children went to Norway about 1864. A mystery to be solved -- but as all you experiennced researchers know, there are ALWAYS mysteries.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

anneguro
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  13:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!
I'm also new here and I would like to get information about Fredrik Vilhelm og Anna Sophie Reeses parents. They are not my relatives but my husbands. Anna Fredrikke Laurine Reese is his great grandmother and Max and Karen Reese his great great grandparents. I'm also interested in Karen Lovises parents. Can you please help me?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article