All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Dahl (Trondheim/Vardø)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  20:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Eibache.

I went to the Library last night and found that in the 1910 and 1920 U.S. Census, Charlotte Dahl was found in Fingal, ND.

She was living with her daughter Vilhemine and her husband, Iver Baardsen. According to the 1910 U.S. Federal Census they had immigrated in 1904. Charlotte Dahl came 2 years later, alone at the age of 61. She came on a ship named the Virginian and her occupation was listed as seamstress.

In the 1910 Census she was listed as a widow so am assuming that Ellef passed away in Norway.

Charlotte was also knows as Carlota, as found in the 1920 U.S. Census and her death certificate. She dies on December 2, 1925 in Barnes County, North Dakota.

Have been unable to find the Church records of their immigration in 1904 and 1906, however.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  06:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you are interested but the cemetery listing for Barnes County, North Dakota are online. They can be found at www.usgwarchives.org You then can just click on North Dakota table of contents and search for what you want. Many Dahl's in the Valley City cemetery listing which include a Carleta M. Dahl. There also is a Barnes County message board on Rootsweb which has helped me before.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  18:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kathy.

That is a good site! I did find through the North Dakota Health Department Public Death Index that Carlota (Charlotte) Dahl died on 12-2-1925. I see she is buried in Valley City.

Are you from this area?
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  19:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am from North Dakota, born and raised. One advantage of a small state is they have several online records available. The death certificates when ordering or very reasonable. There is a book I checked out once in the local library called Fingal Community History but seen no mention online in the Dahl you were looking for.
I am not from the Barnes County area but had family living in the area many years ago that I researched.

Edited by - kathyzeien on 20/02/2009 19:49:23
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  20:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik,
Here is a site you can also search for North Dakota. It has searches for naturalization records, biographies, etc.
http://library.ndsu.edu/archives
Just click on the left column for databases and indexes and search for what you might be looking for. If you find something the cost here to is reasonable.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  22:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#25 on Right Hand Side (Sirri Andersdatter)

Eibache. It looks as if Anders had a child with a women named Berit in 1819.....also from Nordtømme? Did they marry? Are there any details you can make out from the marriage record?

thank you.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  08:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It looks as if Anders had a child with a women named Berit in 1819.....also from Nordtømme?
Take care, which Anders Rasmussen is this?

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  17:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sirri Andersdatter #25 on right hand side.

Sorry Eibache. I didn't paste in my link correctly on my previous posting. I believe this must be Anders Rasmussen Nordtømme, the same person who ended up marrying Gunnild Andersdatter Bordahl.........???

Over the weekend I have been in touch with a distant relative with whom I have never met, but she was sent a book from Norway called Sletsbok Nortømme-Bordahl which give us more information on the family but it is in Norwegian and she can't read it.

She is going to copy the pages that she believes is pertinent.

We believe these to be the children of Anders Rasmussen Nordtømme and Gunnild Andersdatter Bordahl:

Siri 1824
Rasmus b. 6-27-1827
Sivert b. 10-10-1829
Ingeborg b. 1832
ANDERS b. 2-6-1835 (my ancestor)
Ellef b. 2-4-1838 (this is the child who eventually married Marcelie Charlotte Michaelsdatter and they had a child named Carl Edvard Dahl, who was a survivor of the Titanic disaster. He was actually on his way to Fingal, North Dakota to see his mother and several siblings.
Berit b. 3-10-1841 died young in 1845
Halvor b. 3-18-1844

|
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  04:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#32 Birth Record

Eibache, I found another child born to Anders Nilsen and Ingeborg Andersdatter. Can you make out the name of the child and the date the child was born? Also, can you make out the farm name of Anders Nilsen?

#35 Berntine

Also, can you make out the date of Birth for Berntine, #35.

thank you.

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 24/02/2009 04:54:04
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  03:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by eibache

Anders mother Gunnild Sivertsdatter Berdahl was bapt Nov 21 1802, see 23 S.e.T. on right hand page here
Gunnild Sivertsdatters parents Sivert Berntsen, Bordal and Ingeborg Andersdatter Bræk was engaged 2nd day of X-mas 1792 and married April 8 1793, see right hand page here

eibache. I don't know how you can read this handwriting...I can't locate any of the two above....???
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  08:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
We believe these to be the children of Anders Rasmussen Nordtømme and Gunnild Andersdatter Bordahl:
- the mother was Gunnild Sivertsdatter!

Rasmus b. 6-27-1827 see #18
Sivert b. 10-10-1829 see #28
ANDERS b. 2-6-1835 (my ancestor) see #6
Ellef b. 2-4-1838 see #7
Berit b. 3-10-1841 see #12
Halvor b. 3-18-1844 see

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/03/2009 08:53:25
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  09:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Eibache, I found another child born to Anders Nilsen and Ingeborg Andersdatter. Can you make out the name of the child and the date the child was born? Also, can you make out the farm name of Anders Nilsen?

this is a tough one!
dob Sept 25 1853, name is Karen, farm name ?Uldstrømmen?
A note says that Anders Nilsen and Ingeborg Andersdatter were married the same day as the baptism - July 9 1854.
dob for Berntine is also difficult, looks like Dec 21 1854.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/03/2009 09:09:52
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  10:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't know how you can read this handwriting...I can't locate any of the two above....???

the baptism of Gunnild is the 4th from the top on the right hand page, it starts with 23, the letters are SeT (Sunday after Trinity) døpt (baptized) Siver Bordals Datter (daughter) Gunnild - then the names of witnesses.
The marriage record starts on the 19th line from the top on the right hand page, it reads 2 Juledag (2nd day of x-mas) trol (engaged) Unge Karl (bachelor) Sivert Berntsen Bordal med (with) Ingeborg Andersdatter Bræk - then the witnesses and married April 8.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/03/2009 10:43:25
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  23:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jan Peter.

Anders Dahl left Trondheim on April 5, 1881 on board the steamship, Tasso. He traveled alone to Osakis, Minnesota to prepare a place for his wife and children. Somebody already here in the United States purchased his ticket for him. Who was this?

Ingeborg came to America the following year with the children. Thora (15), August (11), Arnold (5) Marie (4) and Signe (11 mo.) They left Norway on October 5, 1882 on board the steamship, Hero.

Are you able to identify the ships they sailed to North America?

Thank you.

Erik.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2009 :  18:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Friends.

I came across something interesting in my research. One of the children of Anders A. Dahl and Ingeborg Andersdatter was named August Dahl, and he returned to Norway in 1906 for the coronation of His Majesty King Haakon the 7th in Trondheim. While there August married a girl named Louise Reese and they came back to America and settled in Banks, North Dakota.

From what I have read, King Haakon was the most revered Norwegian King, and he was a key figure in the resistance movement during World War II.

I wonder if you have ever come across other NOrwegians who traveled back to the old country for King Haakon's coornation?

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 22/04/2009 19:19:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article