All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Dahl (Trondheim/Vardø)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  19:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Erik Carsten

And look at this! A Paul Olsen traveling to Sauk Centre with the BrÆkken family.

Paul Olsen traveling to Sauk Centre with the BrÆkken family #30622
[/quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan Peter, did the Brækken (Brackan) family also sail on the S.S. Batavia, which arrived in New York May 31, 1882?]
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  20:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, they arrived New York on May 18th, sailing on the S/S State of Indiana, departuring Glasgow, Scotland.

Marie Brakken
Amalie Brakken (Emelie)
Halmas Brakken (Hjalmar)
Hakon Brakken (Haakon)
Osgur Brakken (Oskar)
Perst Brakken (Beret Brækkan, servant, 22)
Myeborg Brakken (Ingeborg Brækkan, servant, 22)

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  17:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

No, they arrived New York on May 18th, sailing on the S/S State of Indiana, departuring Glasgow, Scotland.

Marie Brakken
Amalie Brakken (Emelie)
Halmas Brakken (Hjalmar)
Hakon Brakken (Haakon)
Osgur Brakken (Oskar)
Perst Brakken (Beret Brækkan, servant, 22)
Myeborg Brakken (Ingeborg Brækkan, servant, 22)

Jan Peter

_----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Jan Peter. I see the boat on the list of incoming ships on the website.

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 06/05/2009 17:55:04
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  18:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi,
Anders Dahl left Trondheim on May 4th, not April 5th. (In Norway, we list the date as DD-MM-YYYY)
I strongly believe he arrived America in Philadelphia on May 23rd, 1881, sailing on the S/S Illinois, departuring Liverpool.
But I can't locate him in the indexed register, so his name might be wrongly transcribed.
You should check the original manifest to see if he is listed.

Ingeborg and the children left Trondheim on May 10th, not October 5th!
They arrived New York on May 31st 1882 on the S/S Batavia, sailing from Liverpool.
Indexed names:
Igneborg Dall
Aug Dall
Arnold Dall
Maria Dall
Igneborg Dall (Signe Dahl?)
Thora Dahl

Jan Peter

Dear Moderators:

I checked the ships arrival list and I could not see the S.S. Batavia arrival on May 31 of 1882.

According to Jan Peters findings there were Norwegian immigrants on board.

I didn't know if you wanted to add this ship to your database?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  20:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
record of Sigri Rambrout's death?

I tried translating but I can't quite understand. I think this is Ingeborg Dahl's parents. It looks like her mother Sigri passed away. in 1887?

Fattiglem? meaning?
Pårørande ? meaning?

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 13/05/2009 20:22:12
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  21:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the death record of married woman Sigrid Rambrout, residence poorhouse (in Trondheim), born 1809 in Støren, Sør-Trøndelag, dead 08 Dec 1887.

Next of kin is pauper Anders Rambrout.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  00:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's the death record of married woman Sigrid Rambrout, residence poorhouse (in Trondheim), born 1809 in Støren, Sør-Trøndelag, dead 08 Dec 1887.

Next of kin is pauper Anders Rambrout.

Jan Peter

Jan Peter. this was from Kåarto from page one of this thread.
In your opinion could the lady above also be the Sirri, or it could be Sigri born below?

Actually Siri Sivertsdatter Berdal was christened "Sexagesima" Feb. 25. 1810 in Sokndal, 3 column 5. from top.
birth of Sirri or possible Sigri Sivertsdatter in Soknedal....

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 14/05/2009 00:08:47
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2009 :  03:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ingeborg and the children left Trondheim on May 10th, not October 5th!
They arrived New York on May 31st 1882 on the S/S Batavia, sailing from Liverpool.
Indexed names:
Igneborg Dall
Aug Dall
Arnold Dall
Maria Dall
Igneborg Dall (Signe Dahl?)
Thora Dahl

Hi Jan Peter. Do you have a photo of this ship s.s. Batavia Or any history on this ship?

Thank you. Hope you are well!

Erik.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2009 :  21:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Immigratino Records from Bakklandet, Trondheim #15 on right hand side

Jan Peter, I see that Gusta Hellesen and her children Sigrid Gunnhild and Hermand Rieder immigrated to U.S. in 1906...but there should have been two more children, Carl, b. July 10, 1900 and Harald Eivind born Jan 27, 1893.

Can you explain this?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2009 :  00:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I can't explain that. All 6 are listed as passengers on the "Lake Champlain" which arrived Quebec on June 22nd, 1906:

Gyda Landur (20)
Sigrid Herji Landra (73)
Harvid E Landra (10)
Herman R Landra (8)
Sigrid Landur (8)
Carl Landra (3)

Some names and ages are due to transcription errors. E.g. Gyda Landur (20) would be your Gusta, age 40.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 30/05/2009 00:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2009 :  00:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you so much, Jan Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  21:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#73 birth of Johan Peter Thomas Dahl

Hi Jan Peter, can you make out the name of the first sponsor...do you read Marie Dahl? but what is the prefix before the name?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  21:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
below are children of Anders Torbersen Rambraut and Siri Sivertsdatter Bordahl. Both of Støren (Horrig)

Torberg b. 6-11-1837 (Støren)
Gunnild b. 6-19- 1840 (Støren) d. 12-11- 1922
INGEBORG b. 1-27-1843 (Støren) d. 2/20/1925 (Bank, ND)
Sivert Andreas born after 1842 most likely in Baklandet area of Trondheim.

I have not been able to find any information on torberg and Sivert. Torberg would have been born in støren and Siver most likely was born in Bakklandet. Help anyone?

Edited by - Erik Carsten on 04/06/2009 22:16:09
Go to Top of Page

Wilben Dahl
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  03:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erik Carlsen or any interested person

Anders Rasmussen Nordtømme Dahl 1790 - 1855 was my great-grandfather, He was married to Gunhild Sivertsdatter Bordal 1802 - 1869. They had a large family one of their sons was Anders Andersen Nordtømme 1835 - 1940.

You seem to know this man as Anders Andersen Dahl. He was married to Ingeborg Andersdatter Torbergsen Rembraut 1843 - n1925. The family originated with Rasmus Ellevsen Vold 758 - 1801, who gave his family the farm name of Nordtømme. As the family moved away from the farm, they began using Nordtømme Dahl, with many of the family eventually dropping Nordtømme altogether. Exactly what transition the name took with, Anders Andersen is not clear to me, however this is the same person you have been discussing.

I have seen several discussions regarding a person you call “Simon Braekkan or Brekkan. This is a family that originates in Sors Tu, Bræk, near Soknedal, Midtre Gauldal, Norway. The family name revolves about “Bræk” with many variations of spelling. It is my understanding that the suffix of “en” or “an”, has a similar meaning as “of” or “in” the English use, as a prefix. In other words - it does not change the name.

I am not familiar with a “Bræken/Bræk” named Simen, however when you wonder about the relationship to Anders Andersen Dahl, I do know this - Rasmus Ellevsen Vold was married to Siri Andersdatter Bræken/Bræk 1802 - 1869. This should illustrate that they are closely related if Simon is of this same Bræk family. Further - Their cousin, Anders Olsen Brækan (Bræk) had served in the military at Vadsø Festning a fort in the most northern part of Norway in the City of Vardø. He had been to Grense Jakobselv several times to get firewood for the fort in Vardø. On a clear day Grense Jakobselv can be seen to the East from the Vardø area, 55-km (35 miles) across the Varangerfjord.

Anders Olsen Bræckan(Bræken )1736 - 1801, Anders Rasmussen Nordtømme Dahl 1790 - 1855, Hans Estensen Kveberg 1812 - 1891, and Anders Nilsen Urstrømmen 1814 - 1858, were the original settlers of Grense Jakobselv in 1851. They raised families there until the early 1900s. Few, if any people reside there year-round at this time.

Wilben Dahl
Go to Top of Page

Erik Carsten
Advanced member

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  19:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Dahl:
This is a very nice surprise to receive a message from you. Thank you for your information! Are you located in Norway? Who was your Grandfather from the Dahl lineage?

Regarding Simon Braekken. I am not sure about his relationship to Siri Andersdatter Braek. According to the 1875 census it shows that Simon was born in Vaage Præstegjeld Gulbransdalen. This is some distance from Horrig?

Also, in my research I believe that Anders married a Berit Arentsdatter before he married Gunnhild. I believe they may have had a child Siri born in 1819? but she may have died young as the next child born in 1824 was also named Sirri, but parents were Anders and Gunnhild. Do you know anything about this?

Thank you.
Erik.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article