All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Searching for Cornelius Hill's roots.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Dave Eide
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  05:05:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cornelius Hill was born Feb. 8, 1870 and died in Minot N.D. June 15, 1966. According to Mr. Hill he came to America in 1887 in one record and 1889 in another? He lived in South Dakota, Minnesota and North Dakota. Thanks.

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  11:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Short supply of info here, Hill is not a common name for a farm in Norway, but Bakke is and that is the norwegian word for Hill.
I assume he was born in Norway?

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  12:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Hill's various papers that were filed to become a US citizen through the naturalization process will probably give information about WHERE in Norway he came from. Search those US records out and you'll be able to have a real start for researching his ancestry in Norway.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  14:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could the neighbours give any indication about his origin?
Listed just above Cornelius Hill in the 1900-census for Farmington & Homer Townships in Day county, South Dakota are:
Engvald Liknes, born Dec 1872 in Norway
Immigration year: 1888
Married 1899 to Rosa (born in Minnesota)

In the same household:
Brother & widower Hans Liknes, born Jun 1867 in Norway
Immigration year: 1885

Liknes could be Leiknes which I've found are farms in Hemne, Sør-Trøndelag and Lenvik, Troms.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 23/08/2009 17:40:21
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  15:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were also Øvre-Liknes and Nedre-Liknes farms in Åkra, Skudenes (island of Karmøy), Rogaland. Ingvald was a given name frequently found in the records for Øvre-Liknes farm.
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  16:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that Cornelius Hill was of English origin. May be he married to a Norwegian?

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  17:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cornelius Hill is born in Norway by Norwegian born parents, according to the US censuses.
The name Hill is probably americanised, but the name is most likely related to his farm from where he is born.

It could be Bakke, but it could also be abbrevated from Hille, Hillestad, etc.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Dave Eide
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  21:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came across this bit of information on Cornelius Hill:

History
Township Information and map are from the book "People of the Prairie"
By the people of the South Prairie area.

Hilton township was organized June 8, 1910. The names on the petition are as follows: F.M. Galusha, Thos. Sylvester, A. Galusha, P.B. Ostrom, Chas. Kirchen, D.G. Hill, Einar Gundrson, F.A. Manning, Whitney Grinnell, Erik Bjelland, J.T. Whitfield, Lewis L.Law, Bert ?? and W.E. Simm??.The last name impossible to read. These names are in the order in which they were signed, abbreviations and all.
Hilton township was named in honor of one of the homesteaders, Cornelius G. Hill, who came from Norway by way of South Dakota.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  21:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting coincidence.
I have a record for a Cornelius B. Hill, born 1892 in Iowa as the fifth child of parents who were emigrants from Norway. This man's father was born Torsten Torbjørnsen in Norway but he became "Tom Hill" when he came to the US about 1880. His large family of children used Hill as their surname from that point on.
My notes are sketchy about the family because Tom Hill married a cousin to my great-grandmother and I've never really done much further investigation of these non-direct relatives. I will do a little bit of further investigation and post more information about them if it appears there might be ANY connection.

I've taken a few minutes to check and this "Tom Hill" was for over 10 years a resident on a farm called Hauge Øvre in Norway. He came to the US in 1880 and the best information of family members is that he resided first in Iowa, where he married and later moved his large family to Jackson Co., Minnesota.

Edited by - Hopkins on 23/08/2009 23:29:59
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  23:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully you dont get to confused , but all options must be kept open.

Perhaps Cornelius changed to Hill because he approved it, or he just made a simple translation.
Cornelius can be spelled Kornelius in Norwegian.

Hill in Norwegian is Lien (crest of a hill)
Lien is a very common name in Norway. Kornelius Lien.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  00:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His middle initial "G" was interesting.
One Kornelius Gabrielson (19) arrived New York on May 18th, 1889, sailing on the S/S Bothnia from Cunard Line, departuring Liverpool. He is listed as Norwegian.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  05:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,
I cannot get the web address to work, but the easiest way to find a Cornelius Hill in Ward County for naturalization records is to google - North Dakota Naturalization. it will take you to the NDSU site (North Dakota State University) In there it states a Cornelius Hill 1st papers were filed on July 3, 1905 and his 2nd papers were filed on Oct. 2,, 1908. Both were filed in Ward County.
In the listing for biographies is listed a Cornelius Hill - B. 1870 and died 1966. It is listed in People, Places and Events, Minot, Ward County, Bridging the Century, 1985. I don't know if there is much information in it but he is listed in it. Kathy
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  05:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Cornelius Hill's obituary was probably in the Minot Daily News. I haven't ran across the phone number, but it is still the paper his obituary would probably have been in.
Depending on how much information you want on Cornelius, another option would be to contact the North Dakota Heritage Center, phone number is (701) 328-2666. I do not know what they charge, but they have newspapers on microfilm, naturalization records on microfilm. I am sure they would find the information for you but not sure what the cost would be. Kathy
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  06:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,
1910 Census in Township 152 - Range 84 - Ward County is the Cornelius and Louise Hill family with many children. Louise is listed as being born in Iowa and many children being born in South Dakota.
1925 Census - Cornelius and Louiss Hill listed with children again in Hilton Township - Ward County.
1930 Census - Cornelius G. Hill, age 60 and was married at the age of 23, immigrated 1887 and a farmer. Also included is his wife Loouise who is 57, married at age 20. Three children here, Otto G. who is age 19 and born in North Dakota, Lester C. who is 17 and Loyed (Lloyd) 17, who were born in North Dakota.
Go to Top of Page

kathyzeien
Medium member

116 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  06:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,
Two last notes for Cornelius G. Hill.
You can order his death certificate online from the North Dakota Department of Health - Death Indexes. I checked and he is listed there. The cost is reasonable. Sometimes they state where in Norway he would have been from. Sometimes they just say Norway.
Also found Cornelius in the Bureau of Land Management Records for North Dakota. Issue date is July 24, 1911 for 160 acres. Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Dave Eide
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  16:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Kathy... Thanks for the bit about the 160 acres, I didn't know about that.... one Gpa in my family did exactly the same thing in the same area and wrote a book about it, not so lucky with this family, hard to get even an obit? NDSU is a great site...http://library.ndsu.edu/db/obituary/ this site shows if there is an obit in the Fargo Forum... nothing for C. G. Hill. Ward County Library is 1-701-852-5388, usually ten dollars per obit, same at Minot Lib. last time I called. To check on death certificates or just names and dates, this site for North Dakota is useful, https://secure.apps.state.nd.us/doh/certificates/deathCertSearch.htm We have Cornelius and his family in the USA pretty much worked out. This site of course is the best place to search for people when they have come from Norway... very helpful.. Jan Peter is good to have on the search. Thanks to everyone who has helped now and in the past... Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article