All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Is Albert Hendrickson = Halvor Ingebretsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  04:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to help someone make their connection back to Norway. Can anyone help me prove/disprove that Albert Henrickson was born Halvor Ingebretsen?

What I was given as a starting point was simply the name Albert Hendrickson from Lafayette county Wisconsin.

thru Ancestry,com I initially found 1880-1910 census records and a tree stating his birth date as Jun 19, 1841 Norway.

Today I tried sorting out some of the Hendrickson in Lafayette county when I spotted a Christian Hendrickson with a father Ingrebret Henriksen. Christian had a brother Halvor born Jun 19, 1841.

Then found an 1870 census record for Albert Ingrebretson in Argyle Wisconsin. Albert's 1880 census record also has a middle initial E. (ingebret/Engebret).

Then did FamilySearch and a Halvor Ingebretsen married a Maria Johanson. Albert's wife was a Maria Johnson.

Halvor Ingrebret Birth #108
Marriage #3
1865 Census

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  12:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Then did FamilySearch and a Halvor Ingebretsen married a Maria Johanson. Albert's wife was a Maria Johnson.

The marriage record says Maja Johannesdr. and she was born in Sweden.
How and why a Halvor would have become an Albert in US can easier be proven with emigration info and dates. Change to Hendricksen from Ingebretsen may be quite reasonable.
More dates/age on siblings and parents would be great help.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 25/02/2010 13:00:04
Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  18:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eibache!

I was contacted to help find more about Albert Hendrickson who was this person's great grandfather. She knew Albert Hendrickson was born around 1841 in Norway. He married a Maria Johnson who was born around 1838 in Sweden.

Ancestry.com has 3-4 trees with Albert and Maria as their end node. They list the birth date of Albert as Jun 19, 1841 Norway and Maria's a Jan 3, 1838 Sweden. No siblings are listed.

I'm trying to find emigration/immigration records for either name or the combination, but haven't been lucky. It appears Albert showed up in Wisconsin between 1865 and 1870. A child was born here in 1870 and was the first child we know about based on the US census records.

The US census information has their immigration:
1860 (in the 1910 for Albert)
1865 (in 1900 for Albert)
1870 (in 1900 Maria - listed as widow)
1871 (in 1910 Maria listed as divorced)
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  19:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1880 US census Christian and Albert E. Hendrickson households are listed next to each other in Darlington township of LaFayette township.

Christian is shown with very young children that were born in Norway, the youngest of those is listed as 4 years old - so the family didn't immigrate until at least some point in 1876 or after. Christian is listed as 32 years old in 1880 - therefore born ABOUT 1848 in Norway. His wife's name is "Lisa" and their oldest child is 10 years old in 1880.

It might be easier to find Christian (Ingrebretsen/Engebretsen) Hendrickson and family in Norwegian census/emigration records and learn WHERE in Norway he came from. IF he is related to Albert then you can search for older brothers and get some real digging done in the local church records etc.

Where did the information come from that Christian's father was a man named Ingrebret Henriksen?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  19:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christian Engebretsen (later Hendrickson) was from Jevnaker, Oppland, Norway. He and his family left from Oslo on or about 6 Oct 1876.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=16&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=38791&sokefelt=skjul

Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  20:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was trying not to put too much stuff here out of fear of boring people.

My first approach was to gather info from the US census. I found ones for 1880-1910. Then used the tree feature. The trees on Albert and Maria all start them (no siblings or specific locations just country).

I could not initially find an 1870 census.

I did a GenForum search on Henrickson forum with Argyle and came across a good tree for another line but that pointed me to Oppland as a good possibilty.

Once I as stuck, I asked a genealogist/friend another set of eyes to help me look at it differently. She saw a Henry and and elmer in the 1900 census. the Henry was from the same line as the Genforum tree.

In following up on Elmer, I was lead to Christian. ancestry.com had a very nice tree on him. In looking at that, I notice he had a brother Halvor Engebretsen with the same birthdate as Albert.

From that I looked at the 1870 census and found Albert Ingerbrickson.

So my theory is based on:
1) albert and Halvor having the same birth date
2) There are a number of Henricksons in the Argyle are from Oppland.
3) Albert's wife was a Maria Johnson born 1838 sweden and Halvor's wife was a Maria Johanson from Sweden 1838.
4) The 1880 census having Albert E. Henrickson,

I'm thinking Ole came over first. Then Albert then Christian.
Would love to find an migration/emigration or immigration on either Halvor or Albert to help prove/disaprove this.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  20:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Engebret Henriksen in the 1865 Norwegian census for Jevnaker - his married son Halvor is still in the household with his Swedish wife and a daughter. (The son Christian/Kristian is unmarried and working on another Jevnaker farm.)
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=26&filnamn=f60532&gardpostnr=449&sokefelt=skjul

Halvor's birth/baptismal record can be found in the church books for Gran, Oppland -- a neighboring area in Hadeland.

Edited by - Hopkins on 25/02/2010 23:53:23
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  20:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of information is helpful - just list it concisely. I don't use Ancestry and therefore do not understand your references to their format.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  20:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wow, the parents left for America also. In 1867 as shown in the Digitalarkivet database "Utflytta frå Gran 1825-1900 og Jevnaker 1837-1901".
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=18&filnamn=granutfl&gardpostnr=8063&sokefelt=skjul

Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  00:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the census, birth record, and marriagerecord for Halvor Ingebretsen in the first post.

Would love to see a similar ientry for Halvor & Maria as Hospkin found fr Engebret.
or worse case an entry for Halvor iun Norway after 1870 (which would mean my theory is wrong).

Didn't thinkj to look for Ingebret Henriks coming over. Maga Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  00:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can find many entries in Jevnaker/Gran databases and scanned original records for the family at the Digitalarkivet website.
Also don't neglect checking the emigrant records for the port of Oslo/Kristiania.
Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  01:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm taking it that the record Hopkins provide above indicates that Ingebret and his wife left the parish June 7, 1867.

There is a New York Port arrival Dec 23, 1867 which indicated the Kristi Halversdatter dead on the trip. so did Halvor and Maria's daughter. Ingebret wasn't in the list, but the tree on Ancestry.com indicated je died 1867. So maybe before they left for America. The boat sailed (the Humboldt) had a port of departure Hamburg.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  04:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Here is a web address for the Hadelandslag. They have an archive of 8000 emigrants from Hadeland which you might examine parts of it you register at their site.

http://www.hadelandlag.org/resources/reslimacc.htm

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  05:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jackie, it looks like a very interesting site. I'll pass it on to the person I'm helping.

Mary <><
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  05:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Albert Hendrikson's descendants were to check for church records (probably a Norwegian-Lutheran congregation) in LaFayette Co. there would probably be some notation of WHERE in Norway he came from and maybe even notation of his original name -- that would be best proof that these two names were actually the same man. Baptisms of his American born children might be interesting for the persons listed as sponsors. With the large number of emigrants from Jevnaker/Gran/Lunner and other areas in Norway that settled in that area they must have organized several Norwegian-Lutheran churches.

Update: The book 'Nordmændene i Amerika' by Martin Ulvestad, published 1907 indicated -- "There are 10 Norwegian congregations and 8 churches in Lafayette Co., 7 belonging to The United Church, 2 to The Lutheran Free church and 1 to The Norwegian Synod." as translated by Olaf Kringhaug.

The Hadelandslag is eager to get information about the fates of emigrants from descendants of those families.

Edited by - Hopkins on 26/02/2010 05:41:50
Go to Top of Page

KnudsonFamily
Medium member

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  06:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also trying to get the death record for Albert. For that timeframe they typically had the parents names.
Might end up driving down to Darlington.

Didn't think of the church. I haven't had much luck with response from them here in the state, but worth a try. Thanks for helping me think outside the box I was in!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article