All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 Oline Olsdatter (later Olive Olsen O'Connor)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  03:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking through the birth records for Elverum, the only Oline I found born on Oct 14 was born in 1847.

Go to Top of Page

Shelley OConnor
Starting member

New Zealand
14 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  03:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lyndal40: By Joves you may be right. I had taken my great great mother's birthdate from her tombstone, and double checked it against her age on her death certificate.

However I have now done an audit of other documents, based on the assumption that 14th of Oct was her birthday and that praps the year is wrong:

Noitce of Intention to Marry, dated 30th Oct 1875, states her age as 27 in which makes her approx year of birth 1848.
Birth certificate for her first born (name not stated on certificate) states her age as 27 in Feb of 1876, which makes her approx year of birth 1848.
Birth certificate for her son Brian states her age as 32 in Feb of 1880, which makes her approx year of birth 1847.
Birth certificate for her daughter Martha states her age as 32 in July of 1884, which makes her approx year of birth 1847.

I've done an audit of her name also. Both Oline and her husband James were illiterate, so there is a huge variation in how people heard her name. She signed her name on her will in her late 80s as O. O'Connor . All prior documentation is either marked with an 'x' by her husband or herself. When her husband reported her name, this is much higher accuracy than when she reported it as I imagine people struggled with the Norwegian accent. On the documents, James her husband is either James Connor or James O'Connor.

Oct 1875 Notice of Intention to Marry: Lena Wilson
Oct 1875 Marriage Certificate: Olene Nilsen (marked with an x by James)
Feb 1876 Birth Certificate (first child): Lena Connor, formerly Nilsen ((recorded by registrar H.M.Lee, reported by James)
Feb 1880 Birth certificate (Brian Connor) Selina Connor formerly Cuarrn (recorded by registrar H.M.Lee, reported by Oline)
July 1884 Birth Certificate (Martha) Lena Connor formerly Duorn (recorded to by registrar H.M.Lee, reported by Oline)
Aug 1884 Baptism Record (Martha) Eileen Wilson (celebrant Fr. Chervier)
Feb 1887 Baptism Record (Mary Ann) Lena Olsen (celebramt Fr. Chervier)
July 1895 Death Certificate (Martha) Lena O’Connor formerly Nilsen (reported by James)
July 1916 Will of James O’Connor: Olina O’Connor nee Olsen
Nov1934 Will of Oline O’Connor also known as Olina
Jan 1938 Death Certificate: Olive Olsen O’Connor, parents John and Martha Olsen
Jan 1938 Obituary: Olive Olsen O’Connor
Tombstone: Olive Connor
Notes written by my great Aunt (now deceased) Oline Olsdatter O’Connor, maiden name Olsen

Elverum, Norway is mentioned on Oline’s death certificate, tombstone and notes by my great aunt. The date of Oline's arrival in NZ, 1872, came from the notes of the great aunt also (grandaughter of Oline).

I have ordered 3 more birth certificates, so we'll see what comes of that. I hope this stuff is helpful rather than confusing!

Regards Shelley

Edited by - Shelley OConnor on 15/07/2012 03:12:31
Go to Top of Page

Shelley OConnor
Starting member

New Zealand
14 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2013 :  11:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I found Oline's ship into New Zealand: Ship Name: Friedelburg, travelling from Hamburg to Canterbury New Zealand arriving 30th August 1972. I had actually seen it a few years ago, but had disregarded it as the age (24 in 1872) didn't marry up with the tombstone. This record fits in with her approximate birth year of 1847-48.

Here's the record here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FSBB-VNL

Details are a bit scant.

Is there more detail at the Hamburg end of the shipping trail? Are there registers in Hamburg or a shipping records from Hamburg back to Norway which would give more detail about the passengers?
Go to Top of Page

Shelley OConnor
Starting member

New Zealand
14 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2013 :  11:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks by the way.
Go to Top of Page

Shelley OConnor
Starting member

New Zealand
14 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2013 :  11:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ship name should be Friedeburg, not Friedelburg!
Go to Top of Page

rohau
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  00:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shelley

The Oline Olsdatter born in Elverum, Norway on oct. 19, 1847, is probably the right one. Daughter of Ola Halvorsen and Marte Amundsdatter.

If you send me an e-mail, I have some more information for you about this, and a couple of pictures as well, taken in Christchurch.

Kind regards
Ronny
Go to Top of Page

solgle
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2015 :  23:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!
I have found the ancestors and family of Oline Olsdatter from Elverum - and a living descendent is trying to get in touch With you. Oline was born 19. October 1847 at Likvern in Elverum. She emigrated in 1872. I also have photoes of Oline in New Zeland With her husband and two children.
Looking forward to get in contact with you! You may use my e-mail-adress but also the e-mail: post@sor-osterdalslekt.no Best regards from S.Glesaaen

solgle
Go to Top of Page

Roboconnor
New on board

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2016 :  07:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shelley
I am Rob O'Connor, son of William John O'Connor who is a son of Brian O'Connor who is a son of Olene and James Connor. I too have been searching for records of Olene but I have been looking for Olene Nilsen as that is the name on the marriage certificate. I have been trying to find when the 'O' was added to Connor or was it always there and the records have been misread.
I have a few details but not very much though I do have some of the information on Brian O'Connor's death.
I guess that if these are the same people you are looking for then we must be related some how. I know Brian had a brother named James. Are you a descendent of James or Brian or of another sibling I don't know of.
Looking forward to hearing from You,
Rob
rob@customcables.net.au
Go to Top of Page

Shelley OConnor
Starting member

New Zealand
14 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2016 :  09:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob

Delighted to find you've gotten in touch. I have some info for you. I'll contact you via email. I'm descended from Brian O'Connor, son of Oline, and my grandad was Brian's son Cyril.

I'll be in touch soon. My email is shelloid@yahoo.com.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article