All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Petersons in Houston County, Minnesota
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  17:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if I have found John Peterson and family in the 1885 Census. The search page from Ancestry for that data has not been very useful but I stumbled across a Helmer Peterson several times but have always confused him with a Hjalmar Peterson born to John Petersen and wife Lena daughter of Hans Gunderson Lea. Lena is found with a John Peterson and many children. She is listed many times under Lena Hansen, Lena Gundersen and Lena Lea.

But this Helmer is not part of that family. His father is John Peterson age 47 born in Norway, wife is Anna Peterson age 23 born in Norway and children Anna M age 8, Mina age 5 and Helmer age 4 all born in Minnesota.

Here is the record of Helmer. I will try and bring up the others

Helmer Peterson
in the Minnesota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
Name: Helmer Peterson
Census Date: 1 May 1885
County: Fillmore
Locality: Holt
Birth Location: Minnesota
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Race: White
LINE: 5
Roll: MNSC_25

I had to switch over to Famly Search to find the family. Here is a link to the record.

Link

The age given for John and the names of the chidden made the search difficult.

My theory

John is ten years younger than this census record

Anne became Florence
Mine became Minnie
Helmer became Elmer

Edited by - AntonH on 17/08/2018 17:20:58
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  17:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B I N G O!!!

The discrepancies need some study, but likely this will turn out to be the correct family. Whew.

Edited by - JaneC on 17/08/2018 17:22:24
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  17:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holt is a township in Fillmore County with a Lutheran Church. The church is in the ELCA records but unfortunately the parsh records do not begin until 1896.
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  21:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the marriage record of john peterson and margaret nelson should be in there anne peterson was born june 1897
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  23:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the search for Anna Peterson, I came across a Martha Nelson born abt 1863 in Norway, daughter of Christian Nelson and Anna Nelson living in 1880 in Holt, Fillimore County.

One of their sons was baptized in 1875. One of the witnesses for the baptism was a Anne Pederson.

A stretch but maybe there is a connection between the two wives, some caution here as Martha is listed as having married a Ole Noem in the FAG for Agnette.

Carl Julius Nielsen
in the U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Church Records, 1826-1969
Name: Carl Julius Nielsen
Baptism Age: 0
Record Type: Baptism
Birth Date: 26 Apr 1875
Birth Place: Whalan
Baptism Date: 17 May 1875
Baptism Place: Peterson, Harmony, Minnesota, USA
Father: Christian Nielsen
Mother: Agnete Nielsen
Church Name: Highland Prairie Lutheran Church
Church Location: Peterson, Minnesota

Edited by - AntonH on 17/08/2018 23:23:43
Go to Top of Page

Cschmid
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  02:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I am actually the person who originally posted this thread. I couldn't remember my account after 8 years. Elmer Martin/Peterson is my Great-Great Grandfather.

Over the 8 years, I have been able to do some genealogy work on this part of my family and I think I have some leads that will help the situation.

1. The Winona State college in the area has digitized newspapers from Winona. This is FREE and can be found here: http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/APA/Winona/default.aspx#panel=home

In the newspapers, there is coverage of the surrounding area. I have found some obituaries through the site pertaining to the John Peterson family.

2. Here is the obituary for John Peterson: http://digital.olivesoftware.com/olive/apa/winona/?href=TWH%2F1926%2F11%2F17&page=8&entityId=Ar00804#panel=document

When I had started this research I had known about: Florence, Elmer, Minnie, and Milton. I knew about them because my Great grandmother (daughter of Elmer). In fact, Elmer named her after his sister Florence. My Great Grandmother had never met Milton, because she said that her mother (Elmer's wife) would not let Milton around because he was an alcoholic. I have never found any information on him - but given the timeline of her story, he must have lived into the 1930s - possibly in Minneapolis.

Note on the obituary there is another child "Mrs. M. B. Skapple." This child is named Olga and I know this because it is found in Margaret Nelson's Obituary. (see next point)

2. Here is Margaret Nelson's Obituary:

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/APA/Winona/SharedView.Article.aspx?href=TWH%2F1937%2F04%2F15&id=Ar01101&sk=D02BEE16&viewMode=image

There are some clues that should be in there to help track down other people.

3. My understanding of how Peterson became Martin: I talked with my Great Grandmother's brother Donald (who is still alive - 97 years old) and he informed me that Elmer, Florence and Minnie were taken in by a Sheriff Martin. He did not know anything else about the family. He did remember that Elmer was born in Rushford, Minnesota.

Until recently, I had not been able to find anything that related to a "Sheriff Martin" I did a little digging on the Winona site (mentioned above). I did find these two mentions of a Sheriff Martin who would have overseen the Winona Co., Houston Co. and maybe even Fillmore Co.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/APA/Winona/SharedView.Article.aspx?href=TWR%2F1870%2F01%2F15&id=Ar00307&sk=525109B4&viewMode=image

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/APA/Winona/Print.Article.aspx?mode=image&href=TWR%2F1870%2F10%2F11&id=Ar00301

Note that on the first link, there is a John F. Martin listed as the Sheriff. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is the same John F. Martin that took in Elmer, Florence, and Minnie.

3. As if this isn't already obvious, there are some tricky things related to this line. However, I know there are answers to be found. Sometime in the 1990s, Edward Martin, the oldest son of Elmer (Peterson) Martin wrote down a short family tree of his parents. On the sheet he notes: Florence (married Burke), and Minnie (married Lutz) as full siblings. Then he notes Milton and "Rebeca" as half siblings. Alongside Rebeca, he notes her married name that looks very similar to Rolbiecki. I made the conclusion that he meant Anna Peterson who married ROLBIECKI. I also believe this is the case because Donald Martin (aforementioned) was aware that they ran bootleg alcohol down in the Winona area. I believe there are newspaper records to back this up as well.

I would love to keep figuring out some of the kinks in this line, and I hope that the information above helps all that are involved.

My email is: schr1035@morris.umn.edu if you would like to contact me directly.

Cory Schmid
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  05:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1930 census marvin and olga skappel children betty donald robert june find a grave donald skappel minnesota obituary in the winona newspaper parents marvin and olga skappel nee peterson

Edited by - lynn peterson432 on 21/08/2018 05:04:30
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  06:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aug 4 1975 francis hofer obituary winona newspaper married to olga peterson skappel
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  06:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jan11 1961 mrs frank hofer obituary winona newspaper
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  08:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cory, you've added a lot, thank you. It's interesting that no further headway could be made on the Norwegian birth place and parents of John Petersen, nor any information found about his first wife, even with your good efforts. Maybe it's not possible.

We never got an answer to our question re the source of the name "Wilhelmine Nelsen" for John Peterson's first wife. Was that just a mistake? Or was there more to it?

Edited by - JaneC on 21/08/2018 09:55:59
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  15:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if we can find a john peterson and wife anna olsen who immigrated to minnesita beween1879 and 1880
Go to Top of Page

BCady
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  17:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A relative is sending me his research on the Burke family, including a written history by our grandmother, Florence (Flossie) Burke. I will post the info as soon as I receive it.

Barbara Cady
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2018 :  05:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cory have you check out land records whether he owned any land or property and check with the court houses what information they would;have on john peterson
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2018 :  06:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Hi Cory, you've added a lot, thank you. It's interesting that no further headway could be made on the Norwegian birth place and parents of John Petersen, nor any information found about his first wife, even with your good efforts. Maybe it's not possible.

We never got an answer to our question re the source of the name "Wilhelmine Nelsen" for John Peterson's first wife. Was that just a mistake? Or was there more to it?
o

he mention it had some thing to do with elmer peterson social security he could be refering to the social security claim index which gives the fathers name and mothers maiden name

Edited by - lynn peterson432 on 22/08/2018 06:13:45
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2018 :  12:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This possible John Peterson would be contrary to the reported immigration year of 1880 (in 1910 census) but he is living in a household with an Annah and a Martha Nelson In Olmsted county in 1875 a neighboring county to Fillmore:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKNP-7CP

John Pederson
Minnesota State Census, 1875
Name: John Pederson
Event Place: Rock Dell, Olmsted, Minnesota
Birth Year (Estimated): 1849
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Birthplace: Norway
Race: White
GS Film number: 0565725

Helge Nelson Male Norway
Anna Nelson Female Norway
Annah Nelson Female Minnesota
Amalie Nelson Female Minnesota
Neils Nelson Male Minnesota
John Nelson Male Minnesota
Selse Nelson Female Minnesota
Martha Nelson Female Minnesota
Ole Nelson Male Minnesota
John Pederson Male Norway
Neils Anderson Male Norway

Off the table now, even though she married a John / Johan Pederson who was born 1846, as her death date and place and children names do not match:
http://oiseth.org/getperson.php?personID=I3582&tree=dodgo

Edited by - jkmarler on 22/08/2018 12:33:03
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article