All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Beitstad Fjord: Drowned-Amundsen & Jonsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jen
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  04:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Beistadfjord)- Knudt Jonsen b: June 18, 1819 -- his Father: Johan Amundsen - went to town for supplies and a storm blew up...winter??? they both drowned, others with them???

The family moved from Fron Parish to Inderoy Parish, Nord-Trondelag County, July 22, 1832.
The family lived on several farms, Johnson - Stokke.

Knudt Johnsen married: Nicolina Hustad,
Children: Olava Johanna Knudtsdatter Johnsen Stokke, b: Nov 1845 in Inderoy. Married Gunder Nikolaisen, 1826-1878...Olava remarried to Bernt Kristian Eliason Froseth b: 1841-Sparbu

Knudt Mother was Anne Thoresdatter b: 1787-1789, she immigrated to Dakota Territory, abt: 1859 with son John, and his family.

Johan Johnsen aged 21, born in Gausdal parish in Gudbrandsdalen, moved from Inderoy to the farm Jonnum in Beitstad Sept 13, 1847. Got married in Beitstad Nov 16, 1847, to Ingeborg Eriksdatter aged 29 born in Faberg in Gudbrandsdal the daughter of Erik Jakobsen. This is the same John that is listed above and changed his name to John Johnson, who in America-Dakota, was quite a horseman.

Johan Amundsen & Anne Thoresdatter Children:
1.Ole Jonsen (Stokke) ?- resides in Trondheim: several children.
2. Thore Jonsen b: Aug 21, 1815,
3. Knudt, (see above info)
4. Jon Jonsen b: May 4, 1826, img to Dakota, with his mother 1859, and family. (see above info)
5. Hans Jonsen b: July 7, 1822 or Feb 6, 1822, img to North Dakota.
6. Gunder Jonsen b: Dec 6, 1829.
7. Anna Jonetta Jonsen Stokke b:March 1, 1834-Steinkjer, img to Dakota.
Any info on this family would be appreciated: Thanks Jen in Wisconsin: JenLeeFarm@centurytel.net

Edited by - jen on 10/07/2010 06:03:33

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  08:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the baptismal record for #2 Thore Jonsen the parents names are given as John Amundsen, Haavstuen and Anne Thorsdatter, see 3rd record from bottom of left page.
When Johan was born 1826 the family was living on Espedahlen, see #70.
Hans was born at Haavstuen Febr 6 1822, see #14.
John Amundsen, Haavstuen and Anne Thorsdatter were married April 1 1812, see 5th couple on left page.
Johan Johnsen, Bragstadplads was confirmated 1841, see #42.
Gunder Johnsen was confirmated in 1844, see #13.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/07/2010 22:38:24
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  23:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ingeborg Eriksdatter was baptized Nov 22 1818 in Gausdal, see 3rd record. Her parents were Erik Jacobsen and Imbiør Poulsdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/07/2010 23:33:30
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  08:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olava Johanna was born Nov 6 1844, see #6. The parents Knudt J.sen and Christianna Tøresdatter were on Hustadplas.

In 1865 Christianna was a widow on Aunet.

The son Johannes, born Febr 23 1848, see #12 helps his mother.

Christine Hansdatter is the daughter of Knudt and Christiannas son Hans Peter, born Sept 29 1841, see #18.
Kristine was born out of wedlock Aug 16 1859, see #126, parents Hans Peter Knudtsen and Karen Martha Thomasdatter.

Knudt Johnsen died Jan 5 1856, see #3. He and Johannes Olesen died on the fjord since the boat was too heavily loaded.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 11/07/2010 10:33:13
Go to Top of Page

jen
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  02:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you to eibache for the info you posted on this family,
I have a few questions, in #3 you mentioned that Knudt Johnsen died on the fjord and so did a Johannes Olesen, so, would this have been Knudt father or are others listed, as the last names are differant, but I thought that Johannes used the name Amundsen v.s Olesen,,,,same person or differant person.
Because you mentioned that John Amundsen, Haavstuen and Anne Thorsdatter were married on April 1, 1812, So what does Haavstuen mean the family farm name his last name. Any records on who there parents were.
Do you know were Espedahlen is is it in Gausdal parish in Gudbrandsdalen, or a farm name.
Since Hans was born at Haavstuen I assumed this is a farm name. so Hans last name would be.?
And you said that Johan Johnsen, Bragstaplads was confirmed in 1841, the name Bragstaplads is a name of place. church. or last name, and location or church name is.?
Also in #6 Olava was born her last name would of been what and her parents name was J.sen meaning Jonsen and from Hustadplas, a farm name and place would be or county.
And you mention that Christianna was a widow on Aunet which means what I assume a farm name and if so how would I go about finding more info on this family as Olava had a child name Karolina Johanna Bernsdater B: Nov, 1886, would it make sense for her to be confirmed on 29 Sept 1901.
As we beleive that she immigrated 28 th April 1904 for America, with her parents and brother.
This would be my husbands grandmother.
Also would there be any more info on Olava, or her husbands when they died or when she remarried the date or place.
So how are you related to this family as Ole Jonsen Stokke resided in Trondheim. And any connection I can find to relatives would be great, as I'm presently trying to make connections and find info on this family in the United States.
As Olava had been married to Gunder and Bernt and I have a list of their children if I remember right there is 21 and I'm trying to sort on who's who...I have the rest of the family info sorted hopefully except Norway. So if you would like any info or if you know of others please share or ask me questions.
I also meant to ask you is #18 and # 126 the same person, just first name is spelled a little differant.
And I'm trying to sort Olava marriages out and correct spelling of spouses names and childrens names and birth dates I just know that Caroline mentioned above was born at Sparbu.
Any help would be great, but I can't Thank You enough for the info that your posted, it made my day. And I could use a little cheering up as I live in northern Wisconsin we are considered in drought for the second year, and have a small farm, so with little rain our crops are starting to look ???Hopefully we will get rain and our economy will also turn around and we wil be o.k..
I plan to print out the infomation tomorrow and have it enlarged and hopefully my friend also can try to read Norwegian. So I won't have so many questions, and may I ask on how did you find the records so quickly. Anyways Thanks again. As I have tried to search record on Ancestory.com and have has no luck. And a friend suggested to me that I look at this site.
Thanks again Jen in Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  06:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you will find some answers in the following links:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/norwegian-names.htm
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na12.html
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/names.htm

quote:
in #3 you mentioned that Knudt Johnsen died on the fjord and so did a Johannes Olesen
- this info is written in the column where cause of death or accident leading to death is written. In this case it reads "Drukned paa Fjorden. Baaden war for meget Last". Johannes Olesen was 24 years old and was living at the farm Hustad, whether he was related to Knudt 36 years old living on Østre Hustad is not easy to say.

quote:
So what does Haavstuen mean the family farm name his last name. Any records on who there parents were.
- Haavstuen is the name of the farm, whether it was the family farm for many years is difficult to say. To find parents takes a bit more work if at all possible.

quote:
Do you know were Espedahlen is is it in Gausdal parish in Gudbrandsdalen, or a farm name.
- Espedalen is a valley in Sør-Fron and Gausdal municipalities in Oppland.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 12/07/2010 06:51:46
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  06:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haavstuen, Bragstaplads, Hustadpls and Aunet are all farm names.

quote:
how would I go about finding more info on this family as Olava had a child name Karolina Johanna Bernsdater B: Nov, 1886, would it make sense for her to be confirmed on 29 Sept 1901.
- search in parish records may be needed.

quote:
I also meant to ask you is #18 and # 126 the same person, just first name is spelled a little differant.
- same person, different spelling in the census and the baptismal record.

quote:
So how are you related to this family as Ole Jonsen Stokke resided in Trondheim.
- I am not related to this family, just helping people to search in digital records.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 12/07/2010 07:12:40
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  07:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1900 census Olava was married to Bernt Kristian Ellingsen, living at Frøsethaugen.

Records for the family moving out of Mære in Sparbu are #7-13. #7 Bernt Eliasen is Bernt Kristian Ellingsen. Olava and Bernt were married Aug 28 1884, see #4 in this record Bernt is named Eliasen.

In 1865 Bernt was married to Anne Bergitta Simensdatter, had two children and was living at Stamnæs.

Bernt Christian Eliassens first marriage Aug 25 1863, see #5 right page.

Bernt Christian Eliasen was born April 14 1841, see #34. His parents were Elias Johannesen, Kjesbo and Milkorine Christophersdatter.
Bernts parents and siblings in 1865.

Bernt Christian and his family moved to Sparbu in 1874, see #1-6.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 12/07/2010 08:49:05
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  08:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bapt record for Karoline Johanna is #3 - born Nov 23 1886.

The bapt record for Gusta Ovidia is #2 - born Dec 7 1876.

Gunder Nikolaisen, 52 years old, died Nov 30 1878, see #10.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 12/07/2010 08:54:24
Go to Top of Page

jen
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  18:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering did you ever come across on who Anne Thoresdatter parents were or Johan Amundsen parents, and did Johan also die at the fjord, with Knudt, birthdate of Johan would be.
I would like to make a connection with relatives of Ole Jonsen Stokke, but all I know is he resided in Trondheim, and had several children, parents were Anne Thoresdatter and Johan Amundsen, any info on him and how would I go about finding info on him just send a new post.
Any info on Gunder Nikolaisen born or children names or other spouses names.
What about Bernt first wife and name of children, as story in family is there is about 21 chidren between all and I'm trying to sort names.
I was wondering do you know if a nickname for Caroline is Leana.
And do you know of a good resource for farm names and geographical conditions of this region. As I would like to write a little story and tell of living conditons along with the genealogy information that I find about this family. Thanks again Jen in Wisconsin.
p.s do you know of others researching this family, if so please pass on my name as Anne Thoresdatter lived to be about 100 years old and settled in the Dakota Territory of the U.S. and a few of her grandchildren also lived to be about 100. They mainly settled the in the Sioux Falls, Minnehaha cty of South Dakota were farmers, a few relatives moved on to Washington State and one settled in Wisconsin, which would be my husbands grandmother.
So any info is so much appreciated as I just have a rough sketch on relatives and the info that you supplied is wonderful. If you find anything else please send, and if you need some info on Wisc records maybe I can find some for you. Thanks again Jen
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  22:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gunder Nikolaisen was born out of wedlock Aug 20 1829, see #87. His mother was Ane Gundersdatter, Bosnæs and the father was Nicolay Larsen (could be a correction to Nielsen) from Christiansund.

In 1865 Gunder was a servant on Hustad østre.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 12/07/2010 22:56:49
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  23:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernt Kristian Eliasen, Stamnes and Ane Bergite Simonsdatter had the followig children from Inderøy Sefanias (1864), Elen Margrete (1865), Mikal Anton (1868), and Bernt Alfred (1870).
Born in Sparbu:
Maren Anna (1873), Gusta Ovidia (1876), Edvard (1878), Anton (1881) and no name (1883).

Ane Bergite Simonsdatter died in childbirth 42 years old July 29 1883, see #8.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 13/07/2010 00:03:58
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  09:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karolina Johanna Berntsdatter was confirmated Sept 29 1901, see #28. She was born at Frøsetplads and they were living the same place in 1901.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  10:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
And do you know of a good resource for farm names and geographical conditions of this region.
Google and Wikipedia can give you some info, may limited in english language. For Mære church were Karolina Johanna was baptized and confirmated you find the following: "In Sparbu are many rich ancient monuments from the Bronze Age until the Middle Ages. The most famous is Mære church that was built in the 1100s on the ruins of a mighty gudehov."
This is Mære kirke
and this is a translator which could be useful.
You can also benefit from using this map for Frøset choose "Frøset, Steinkjer (Bruk (gardsbruk))"

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 13/07/2010 10:49:36
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  14:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found the records telling that Johan Johnsen with wife Ingeborg Ericsdatter and the children Thomas, Indianna Margrethe, Gusta Ovidia and Anne Therese moved out from Inderøy together with Johans mother widow Anne Thoresdatter, see #7-13.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

jen
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  04:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi you mentioned that Hans Jonsen was born: Feb 6 1822: but in my notes I have July 7 1822, as this date was from the migrant records from parish registers of Inderoy in the county of Nord-Trondelag, we find listed that this family came moving from Fron parish to Inderoy July 2 1832. is this a typo of a christening date.
And Hans wife name was Homme and his daughters names were: Anna Homme Stokke and John-Jonsen Stokke (moved to Canada).
Hans came to America when? died in 1904 Grafton, Walsh County North Dakota.
I'm not sure on when he imig or if his wife was born in Norway or were? Or his children were born. So if you come across any info I would appreciate it.

And I was looking for birthdate of Anne Thoresdatter mentioned above as I have two years 1787 or 1789. And she died in Dakota territory about 1884.
Or the birthdate and death of her husband John Amundsen. From were; and do you think it would be possible to find there parents: sibblings or is that impossible?

I did find in the IGI Individual record of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints: the following:
Knud Johansen birth 18 June 1819- which matches the date that I have and Christening 25 June 1819 Sodorp, Oppland, Norway: father- Joen Amundsen & Anne Thorsdr.
Thor Johansen birth Aug 21 1815- which matches the date that I have and Christening 03 Sep 1815 Sor Fron, Oppland, Norway; father-John Amundsen & Anne Thorsdr.
Hans Johansen birth 06 Feb 1822-which matches the dates that you provided so church record is a mistake? and Christening date is 06 Feb 1822 Sodorp, Oppland, Norway:
But isn't this unusually and his birth date is ? what do you think. father John Amundsen & mother Anne Thorsdr.
As Johan Johansen birth & christening date is the same: 04 May 1826 Sodorp, Oppland, Norway: father John Amundsen & Anne Thorsdr.
But my notes say born? October 18 1822 in Gausdal Parish in Gudbrandsdalen, Norway and he died in 1905 Grafton, Walsh County, North Dakota. imigrated 16 April 1859, his family and mother. So was there a transcription error in the LDS records.
Did you come across any more info on Knudt family his wife died in Norway or ever remarried: What happened to there children:

John Amundsen & Anne Thorsdr Marriage date: 22 April 1812 Sor Fron, Oppland, Norway
As stated above a transcription error, and the places that I mentioned are they close to the places that you mentioned.

I think I'm going to post and see if I can find any relatives on Ole Jonsen, but have not found his record or any other records on this family in the LDS or Ancestory I suppose he used a differant last name.

And I forgot to ask is the following info that I have the same as above except spelling:
Ingbor (Ingebor) Ericsdatter Velde birth 22 Sept 1818 Faberg, Gudbrandsdal, Norway mother Embior Paulsdatter .

Got go thunderstrom in our area. Thanks again Jen in Wisc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article