All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Dead end...John Olsen Aasen.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

heidithoe
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  21:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all.
I'm decedent of John Olsen on the Aasen Farm (Gn 36, Bn 8).
The Hitterdal Bygdenbok has little information about where he came from and who his parents are.

I do have naturalization papers. They tell me that John Olsen's wife is Thone Olsdtr (which I have confirmed looking at land records).

His papers also say he is from Sauer. But when I looked up Sauer in the Bygdebok I have hit a dead end. The are plenty of Ole and Johns on that farm, but no John Olsen with the birth around 1815.

Are there other places I can look?

Thanks in advance!
Heidi

~ H Thoe ~

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  23:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1865 census you find John Olsen as a widower and his daughters Gonne and Thone and his sons Ole and Johannes at the Aasen farm.

His youngest son Johannes was born April 10 1855, see #29 confirming that Johns wife was Tone Olsdatter.

John Olsen and Tone Olsdatter were married June 13 1842, see #8.
John Olsen was 26 years old, his father was Ole Reiersen, Hougen.
Tone Olsdatter was 23 3/4 years old, her father was Ole Aadnesen, Soubøe. (Note that Tones brother Aadne was married the same day)

John Olsen was born Oct 7 1815, see #21. His parents were Ole Reiersen and Gunild Jonsdatter, Moen under Semb.

Ole Reiersen and Gunne (Gunhild) Jonsdatter were married June 25 1813, see 2nd couple on left page.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 12/07/2010 00:24:13
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  00:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Reiersen (16) in 1801 census

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge

Edited by - hasto on 12/07/2010 00:25:05
Go to Top of Page

heidithoe
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  14:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect! This gives me a plenty to look through and more clues to continue.

As always, I appreciate all your help!

- Heidi

~ H Thoe ~
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  22:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sauer is not a dead end Heidi, but another family.

Sauer:
Thone Olsdatter was born on Nordsauer ( Northern Sauer) June 6. 1840 and Johannes Olsen on Midtsauer / Sauer Midtgaard (Central Sauer) Nov. 26. 1840.

They married June 10. 1862, see #6

9 children from 1862-1882

John Olsen Aasen sold Aasen about 1866 to Anders Olsen Dalen.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

heidithoe
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  23:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kåre!
Yes, I did see that, so many folks with the same names, but the dates did match up. So I knew the papers must added Sauer incorrectly.

My only stumbling block now is the last names of the relation above. I assume Hougen could be Haugen as it is a farm not far form the Aasen land. But what is Soubøe? I can't find any farms by that name.

This family is sure got me searching...according to the census they were servants, so I assume the bydgenbok is not going to be much help, as they did own any land until the Aasen purchase.

~ H Thoe ~
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  23:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soubøe (Saubø) is a farm in Tuddal sub parish in Hjartdal.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  11:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Heidi,
not sure, but Soubøe (Saubø) was most likely a subfarm under Solem in Tuddal.

Thone was born on Soubøe August 11, bap in Tuddal church Oct. 1. 1815
parants: Ole Aadnesen and Thone Olsdatter.
All the godparents, exept Gunnild and Gjermund Bøen, were from Solem, see right page #7

Confirmation Tuddal Oct. 23. 1831.
Thone Olsdatter Soubøe, parents; Ole Aadnesen Solem and Thone Olsdatter, see right page #6

Solem / Solim (todays Solheim) 1801.
Ole Aanesen "Huusmand" Leasholder/Cottager and Thone Olsdtr. with a daughter Anne on Solem.
Occupation; "Lever av sitt yrke" Living from their profession.

In 1865 Soubøe was abandoned, but in the 1900 census occupied again and still are.

Picure taken 1964 in the Solheim neighborhood.
On last page Saubø is in the background, in front is Nord (Northern) Solheim.

As you can see from the rocky landscape, only strong people could make a living here in the old days .

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 13/07/2010 14:41:54
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  17:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tuddal is "Band 1" volume one in Hjartdalsoga

Ole Aanesen (Aadnesen-Aanonsen) was from Steensrud (Steinsrud) in Tuddal and Thone Olsdatter from Ørvellen (todays Ørvella) in Gransherad on the border between the two municipalities Hjartdal and Heddal, Sauland subparish in Hjartdal, they married in Gransherad (a former municipality, in 1964 it becamen a part of Notodden and Heddal) March 23. 1794.

Ørvella comes probably from Nord-Sauer or perhaps there is a Ørvella farm in Heddal too.
Little information on Ørvella, liklely more in Hjartdalsoga Volume 2.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 13/07/2010 20:20:47
Go to Top of Page

heidithoe
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  23:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the photo, Kåre! Yes it appears that the farm is very rocky. I can image that was quite the struggle to plow.

Well I will get back to the library to see if I can get the Tuddal volume and It looks like I need the Grandsherad book too. Thanks for helping with the mystery.

- Heidi

~ H Thoe ~
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2010 :  11:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.

You don´t need Gransheradsoga, sorry if I misled you.

The reason why they married in Gransherad old stave church demolished about 1860 I don´know.

Volume one in Hjartdalsoga, Solem area, has info about Saubø. Same volume, Reisjå area has info about Steinsrud.

Volume two, Sauland subparish, Fosse area, has info about Ørvella.
I do not think the farms are orginized in alphabetic order.

I think its written on Hjartdal-dialect, some words can be difficult to translate if you use a translater, asistance can be done here.

Good luck.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2010 :  13:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct, the farms are not organized in the Hjartdal books in alphabetical order. I haven't found any increased difficulty in translating the Hjartdal narratives - but then I always find translating to be a challenge.
When I've used the fairly recently published Hjartdal books I've found that the information should be checked against the primary records because they are not completely error free, but they seem to be more complete and reliable than the Hitterdal-bok.

Keeping a copy of the Table of Contents and/or farm index of any book you use can come in very handy at a later date.

Hjartdalsoga Gard og Ætt Hartdal Tuddal, Band I (Norway: Hjartdal Kommune, 1987)
Information about the Solheim (Solem) area farms should start about page 296; detail for Saubø about page 324.
Reisjå area beginning about page 80, with Steinsrud beginning about page 109. (Note that there are at least four different places in Hjartdal with the Steinsrud name.)

Hjartdalsoga Gard og Ætt - Sauland, Band II (Norway: Hjartdal Kommune, 1992)
Fosse (in Sauland) area should start about page 532; detail about Ørvella on page 600.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2010 :  20:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was to a great help Hopkins, it will now be very easy to find the information from these farms.

It was a huge emigration from Hjartdal, 1500-2000 people, today 1700 hundred people lives there.
The first organized emigration started already 1839, they settled down in the Musego settlement outside Milwaukee, Wisc.
Probably you have many cousins from the Hjartdal branch in your family Heidi.

I translated directly from the Hjartdal-dialect from this example in Hjartdalsoga Volume 2 to English, it worked well on my Google translater.
less than one inch down, farm Skoge 82, nr V) I found my ancestor Ambrosius Jonsen Sauer from Heddal, he married 2. time 1695 to 7) Helge Jonsdatter Skoje.

I looked into the rare Ørvella name, it comes the old norse name Erffuill, a small creek/river that flows into the larger river Heddøla that flows into lake Heddalsvannet in Heddal.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 14/07/2010 22:24:34
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  01:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre,
I've kept "indexes" for the Hjartdal, Gransherad and Heddal/Hitterdal books. I might not have complete listings for some of the smaller 'plass' - but I'm always willing to help you by checking for page references.

I'll lend a hand when I can.
Go to Top of Page

heidithoe
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  02:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to the both of you!
Each time I have had the privilege of borrowing the Bydgeboks though the Inter-library loan, I have had good luck finding the farms. Hopkins is right, they usually have a list of farms with page numbers in the front matter of the book. It is smart of Hopkins to keep a copy of that.
My only challenge is knowing the farm names and being a little creative with the spelling. So with your notes above I will get busy and look up my ancestors.

On the topic of immigration to Muskego, Wisconsin...I was excited to find my home town mentioned in the Hitterdalsboken. Page 173. Gregar Gregarsen from Spærud emigrated to my small town! Very neat! With all the Hitterdal emigrants to the area no wonder my local church is named Hitterdahl Lutheran.

I plan to see if I can obtain a copy of the Hjartdal books to keep for reference. My only quest is to find out how to get my hands on (buy) a copy of Hitterdalboken. This seems like a impossible task since it was written/published so many years ago.

Thanks again you two! Could not have done all this work without you!!!
- Heidi

~ H Thoe ~

Edited by - heidithoe on 06/12/2010 01:24:01
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  15:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hitterdalsboken, gaarde og slegter" is available copied to microfiche through any nearby LDS Family History Center. Microfiche usually cost 15 cents per fiche sheet to order and that particular book is copied to a set of 8 fiche. I used it that way and made copies of the pages that I wanted to have at home the most (including the table of contents). Most Family History Centers have copy machines that can make paper copies of images from either microfiche or microfilm.

Information on buying the Hjartdalsoga volumes -
http://www.hjartdalhistorielag.no/hsoga/#english

Check for old books sometimes available from used book stores in Norway -
http://www.antikvariat.net/get/search.cgi?post

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article