All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Bolstad in the USA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  08:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler
The source for information on this Johannes Larson family is listed as an inquiry from James Henry Larson. Are any of these children's /grandchildren's names familiar to you?

Jackie M

Jackie~
Curious as to what inquiry you speak of regarding James Henry Larson?
Thank you for your help!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  17:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

From memory James Henry Larson apparently was in school in either Norway or Sweden in the early 1970s and wrote to the Hol bygdearkiv / or Lars Reinton asking for information about & giving information about his family. Holsboka include sections about information about emigrants from Hol to other places in Norway and US and the rest of the world. So the information he sent was included in the Holsboka and he was identified.

Looking for your possibly living cousins?

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  00:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie~
I have just come into contact with three of Alfred Rheinard's children and it is amazing thanks to you all! I was also wondering how I could write to Lars Reinton or whoever has taken up his work in Hol, maybe to inform them about the whereabouts of Johannes Larsen Bolstad and to let them know about his descendants.

It would seem that getting a translated copy of the section on my family in Holsboka would be a worthwhile endeavor.

One of Alfred's sons informed me that Anna Tolleivsdatter was in Canada and in the USA with Johannes and also Gunhild for a period of time and that she immigrated to the Seattle area according to the family story. Going to see what I can dig up. And any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  04:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Michelle,

Lars Reinton has passed on. A man named Kåre Olav Solhjell is maintaining a database of Hol emigrants and he would be the one to contact with updated information about the Hol emigrants.

If Anne Tolleivsdatter came to US after her husband died, it might make sense since there is a headstone for Lars but none for her next to him in Norway.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  04:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To all at Norway Heritage,
I wanted to post a thank you to all of you at Norway-Heritage. None of my research would have gotten off the the ground if it wasn't for you all. My grandmother had no idea of this history until I sent her a package, including much of what has been shared here, last August. Her memory of her father was that he was a loving man and dedicated father, beings that he was very ill the whole of his life. She informed me that he had a lung surgically removed in Norway and so, from what I found, then he died from tuberculosis in 1936.
Also, I did acquire John's mistress' (later becoming his 3rd wife, Verna May Turner Hollingsworth) divorce file as well. Crazy thing is that it mentions John Larson by name! Not that I needed another confirmation of my findings but it is overwhelming evidence nonetheless. Both Gunhild and Verna's first husband William had the same divorce attorney, as both divorce files state.
An unfortunate story to share however is that one of Alfred Rheinard Larson's sons died last year. He was my main contact with the Larson family. He did share with me his family story, specifically about what he was told about his grandfather. From his grandmother Gunhild, the story she passed down to her children was that John had died back in Canada around 1924 and they had no knowledge that she divorced him over an affair.
So on both sides the real history of Johannes Larsen Bolstad is now known. The only living child of Johannes now knows what really became of her father, and what brought him eventually to Central California. Though she already knew from her visit to Norway over 30 years ago about his two families prior to her own, she had no knowledge of the details of what brought her mother Verna and father John together.
Thank you for enriching my life with your ample and ever so willing help. I am in the process of writing down my family story, and it is more complete because of you all. And if I ever need more information about my Norwegian heritage, all I know I need to do is but to ask. Much love to you all! God bless.

Vennlig Hilsen,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  06:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having difficulty trying to get in contact with Kåre Olav Solhjell, one who is keeping up Lars Reinton's work. Any help with how to get in contact with him would be appreciated. God bless.

Vennlig Hilsen,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  07:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From yellow pages.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  20:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
email
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  00:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone!
It has been a while since I've posted. My grandmother, Johannes Larson's last surviving daughter has passed away this August, 2017. I am trying to find who has taken on the Holsboka, as I believe Kåre Olav Solhjell has passed away. I tried to contact him back in 2012 on Facebook but he never got back to me. Any help would be appreciated since I would to add my family to the Hol emigrant database and also get a copy of the Holsboka. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  02:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an email from Kåre in 2015 so your surmise on the date of his death is not correct. The Hol-America Emigrants book came out in 2013.

Holsboka are sold at Holsbank.

Sorry about your loss.
Go to Top of Page

michelle_elliott

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  02:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie,
Kåre died 11 Dec 2016, which would make sense you got in contact with him in 2015. Not sure where to go from here. Thank you for your help.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  12:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently so, and sad about that.

Here is an email for the Sparebank in Geilo. Write and ask if they sell Holsboka.

post@sb1.no
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article