All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Looking for grandfathers birth place
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  21:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arne, Live and their 7 children came to America on the ship Sleipner in 1862...., directly from Norway to Chicago.
Bark Sleipner:
1862 May 21: Leaving Bergen for Montreal or Chicago with 109 emigrants, a load of herring, fish and anchovy.
1862 Aug 02: Arriving Chicago from Bergen. 5000 Miles in 71 days.

Proof of their wedding:

Read the full story here: Anbytarforum. It will reveal what happened to Live's husband Arne Pedersen...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 15/09/2010 23:05:37
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2010 :  22:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Records for Arne Pedersen and Live Arnesdatter moving out of Lom in 1851, see #26 & 27, the children were
Peder, see attestation above,
Anne, (b. Sept 19 1844), see #117,
Embjør, (b. July 19 1846), see #110,
and Mari, (b. May 3 1850), see #75.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 15/09/2010 23:10:54
Go to Top of Page

Ernie Anderson
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  01:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thnaks for all the help i am in contact with gordie larson from gratsburg wi is the local historion and has a lot of notes he is going to send me am planning a trip to grantsburg and to norway next summer any ideas what i should focus on when i travel in northern norway thanks Ernie
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  12:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your family are originally from Lom in Gudbrandsdalen valley, Oppland county. In 1851, the family decided to move to the North of Norway, to the area of Målselv in Troms county.

Why did they move so far North?
The Gudbrandsdalen valley was hit by a huge flood in 1789 (snow melt, heavy rain and heat), and a lot of people perished. Many farms vanished by the flood.
The bailiff in Tromsø used all of his private capital to help the affected people to relocate to Bardu og Målselv.
So many people moved, that the dialect in Målselv are still influenced by the southern Norwegian dialect...! :)

This was in 1789, and 60 years before your family moved. But maybe they struggled by poor harvest, or maybe they just had family up there that made them want to relocate.
The Målselv area was quite uninhabited in those days (and still is), so maybe they saw that they could buy some good land and start a new life...

I'm doubtful about what you could make out of a journey to the Målselv area today, from a family perspective.
The family roots are in Lom, Gudbrandsdalen, and they only stayed in Bardu/Målselv for about 10 years.
I would assume there are no traces of family after these people left up there.
From a tourist perspective, the benefits would be good though. The Nature is overwhelming.
By car, it will take you 2-3 days to drive up to Målselv from Lom. The train does not go so far up as Målselv, so you would have to join a bus after Bodø.
The flight Oslo-Tromsø takes about 2 hrs, and you could rent a car at the airport to drive to Målselv.
A boattrip with Hurtigruten is very popular, but to see Målselv you would have to leave the cruise.

I believe you should focus on the Lom area, and then take a trip up North if you have the time, just to see the difference in Nature...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 16/09/2010 12:59:18
Go to Top of Page

Ernie Anderson
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  19:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it sounds like you have a trail on my family where and who was great graet grand parents everone has done a good job of finding my great grand parents but sounds like jan peter has more info on famly tree any info is appricated Ernie Anderson
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  19:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the marriage record for Arne Pedersen and Live Arnesdatter gives the name of their fathers. Arne, was 25 years old, his father was Peder Larsen. Live, was 26 years old, and her father was Arne Olsen. See #4. (By the way, the certificate above says they were married "29th day of March" - the correct date is March 24.)

Arne Pedersen was born May 31 1818, see #48. Parents Peder Larsen and Ingeborg Christensdatter, Brudem.
Arne had a sister Marie born Jan 19 1815.

Live Arnesdatter was born June 14 1816, see #52. Her parents were Arne Olsen and Anne Olsdatter, Dagsgaard.
Live had a sister Marie born Oct 14 1814, and a sister Anne born April 9 1811.

Arne Olsen, his parents and siblings in

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 17/09/2010 06:35:43
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  06:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arne Olsen, Dagsgaard and Anne Olsdatter, Skeien were married March 29 1810, see 2nd record on right page.

Peder Larsen, Brudem and Ingeborg Christensdatter, Kittilstad were married Febr 20 1812, see 7th record in 1812.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/09/2010 06:06:58
Go to Top of Page

Ernie Anderson
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  17:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to everone that has help me i appericate it i have worked on this for years and got 10 times farther with help from the members here . i havent been able to get a passenger list 1862 Sleiper may 21 1862 arriving chicago aug 02 1862 thanks Ernie
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  18:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bark Sleipner was commanded by Captain Waage.
To get the passenger list, I think you need to look at the National Archives in Washington.
They have valuable information - both names and other details about the passengers which arrived in the US. (Canadian arrivals at the National Archives in Ottawa).

Two books which could have pictures of the ship etc:
Myklebust, Johan: Pionèrer i Lake-farten. [Briggen “Sleipner” og dens reise til Chicago i 1862.] (I: Nordmanns-Forbundet, 55 ( 1962), s. 170-73.)

Norske pionérferder til Lakene. (Skonnertbriggen “Sleipner” og jakten “Skjoldmøen” som gikk fra Bergen i 1862 og 1863.) Utg. i anledning minnesmerket over “Sleipner” og “Skjoldmøen” i Bergen 1963. Bergen 1963. 48 s. Illustr.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Ernie Anderson
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  17:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are the 2 books that tell about the ship my grandparents came over on printed in english thanks again for all the help to everone Ernie Anderson
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  18:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie Anderson

are the 2 books that tell about the ship my grandparents came over on printed in english thanks again for all the help to everone Ernie Anderson

No. But the language shouldn't matter if you want to view the passenger list or see some photos of the ship.

You could also check out this one:
DOSEY, HERBERT WALTER. The Brig Sleipner. Inland Seas, 20:215— 226 (Fall, 1964).

The Great Lakes Historical Society could also have valuable information.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 18/09/2010 18:42:11
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  02:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found an interesting article that could shed some light about the reason for emigration:

Mindekirken movement
According to the book Tromsø City History (Norwegian: Tromsø by Historie) written by Nils Andreas Ytreberg (1896–1987) (published in Norwegian), during the mid-19th century, Balsfjord became the religious home of a group of "mindekirken" or "freechurch dissenters" who split from the state church parish in Tromsø. The mindekirken movement in the Troms region was led by the seminary student, Johannes Andreas Johannessen Bomstad (born at Balsfjord on 23 August 1821).
(...)
In 1862, Bomstad led a group of "mindekirken colonists" to America, traveling first to Bergen, where they sailed in mid-May 1862 aboard the Sleipner, arriving at the inland port of Chicago, Illinois on 2 August 1862. Their voyage was also noteworthy as the first transatlantic voyage sailing directly from Europe to the port of Chicago (other previous transoceanic ships disembarked first at Quebec, Canada.) After arriving in Chicago, the mindekirken colonists traveled overland to the area of St. Peter, Minnesota, where they remained during the "Dakota War of 1862".

As you see from the map, Balsfjord is just north of Bardu/Målselv.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  05:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arne Olsen, Dagsgaard, his parents and siblings in 1801.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Ernie Anderson
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  00:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can any one help me with any pics of family from Grantsburg and trying to find relitives ive found 2 so far and have data back to 1500 s from help thanks Ernie Anderson Also any help on a planned trip next summer to Norway Thanks Ernie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article