All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help me find my Great Grandfather Issac M Anderson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  00:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The census 1910 shows
Name: Isac M Anderson
Birthplace: Norway
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Residence: Jersey City Ward 2, Hudson, New Jersey
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1892
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Family Number: 105
Page Number: 6
Collection: United States Census, 1910

I have looked for my great grandfather, his military registration card shows
he was born March 20, 1887 he was married with 4 children. I know that my great grandmother had another baby, the 1920 census shows my great grandmother to be a widow. I beleive he was in the war but only info I can find is registration cards. Nothing else.Military Records > World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 > New Jersey > Jersey City City > 2 > Draft Card A
I know that my great grandmother could not care for all of the children so my great grandfather Issac mother took care of the baby Emma. The information my mother has is she believes Issac mothers name was Louise. If Issac came over to the United States from Norway, did he come with his parents, I was looking up Issac and found another person with the same date of birth but I believe his year of birth was 1878 I believe can't recall. I am trying to find out where he lived in Norway and about my ancestors from Norway.Not sure if anyone can help direct me. I did read how the names were broken down, which makes it worse for anyone to really know what they are looking for.

Karen Shevlin

Edited by - karenanderson on 15/10/2010 06:38:05

vivi

Norway
371 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  11:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I have a possible Isac for you.
Names changed when norweginers came to US. Here is a good example.
On Mars 20, 1887 a boy was born. He was baptized Isak Mathias when he was baptized April 7, 1887 in Fjære, Aust Agder county.
No 20: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=799&idx_id=799&uid=ny&idx_side=-91

His parents were: Isak Mathias Aanonsen and Marie Salvesdatter.
In Norway his name would have been Isak Mathias Isaksen, but many used their fathers surname in US = Isak Mathias Aanonsen. Easy to think this might have changed to Isak M. Anderson.

This boy left Norway March 10, 1892 from Kristiansand. Probably together with the man before him on the list: Aasmund Jensen from Grimstad which is very close to Fjære.
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=KRISTUT&personpostnr=21324&merk=21324

The manifest at EllisIsland is not so helpful. He is no 629 bottom:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Ftif2gif%2Eexe%3FT%3D%5C%5C%5C%5C192%2E168%2E100%2E11%5C%5CIMAGES%5C%5CM237%2D0584%5C%5CM237%2D05840524%2ETIF%26S%3D%2E5&pID=104918120628&name=Aasmund%26nbsp%3BJensen&doa=Apr+01%2C+1892&port=Copenhagen%2C+Christiania%2C+Christiansand&line=0628

Do you think this might be your greatgrandfather? Do you know what the M. in his name is short for?
Have you found him in the 1900 US census? Maybe you could try Isaksen/Isachsen/Isacsen or Aanonsen.
If this is him, it also means your mother remembers wrong about his mother beeing Louise. (Might Louise have been a relative taking care of Isak in US?)
Because he left Norway alone at the age of 5, I would think his parents had died and he was sent to relatives.
Another theory might be that his father who was a sailor, settled in US and Isaks mother died and he was sent to US to live with his father and maybe his new wife Louise... (Just a thought)

Vivi

Edited by - vivi on 15/10/2010 11:23:16
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  16:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "M" could be for a farm name. Example: My great great grandfather was Anders Knudsen Auestad in Norway, but became Andrew A. Knutson in the U.S. A way of keeping his farm name, because he didn't really have a middle name. Another relative, did the opposite and used the "J" for Jensen, as his middle name. Have to look at all the possibilities.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  16:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This person is listed in a Family Tree on Ancestry.com as:

Issac Mathies Anderson
Birth
March 20, 1887 in Norway

Unfortunately no information is provided on his parents. He is listed as being married to a Katherine and uses the 1910 US Census and World War I draft registration card as documentation.
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  19:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isak M AanonsenAanesen and his wife Marie Salvesdatter are in the 1875 Census

Isak's birth year is given as 1851, and Marie's is 1858!!.

Les

Edited by - Lester Hanson on 16/10/2010 03:23:01
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  03:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Isak M. Anderson had two brothers that immigrated: 9 May 1895
Number 27626, Anton Martinius Isaksen, and number 27627 Søren Robert Isaksen.
Destination was New York.

Les
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  03:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a widow named Marie Aanonsen emigrating 7 September 1905,
Her age is given as 1854, born in Fjære.

Les
Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  06:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vivi

Hi

I have a possible Isac for you.
Names changed when norweginers came to US. Here is a good example.
On Mars 20, 1887 a boy was born. He was baptized Isak Mathias when he was baptized April 7, 1887 in Fjære, Aust Agder county.
No 20: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=799&idx_id=799&uid=ny&idx_side=-91

His parents were: Isak Mathias Aanonsen and Marie Salvesdatter.
In Norway his name would have been Isak Mathias Isaksen, but many used their fathers surname in US = Isak Mathias Aanonsen. Easy to think this might have changed to Isak M. Anderson.

This boy left Norway March 10, 1892 from Kristiansand. Probably together with the man before him on the list: Aasmund Jensen from Grimstad which is very close to Fjære.
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=KRISTUT&personpostnr=21324&merk=21324

The manifest at EllisIsland is not so helpful. He is no 629 bottom:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Ftif2gif%2Eexe%3FT%3D%5C%5C%5C%5C192%2E168%2E100%2E11%5C%5CIMAGES%5C%5CM237%2D0584%5C%5CM237%2D05840524%2ETIF%26S%3D%2E5&pID=104918120628&name=Aasmund%26nbsp%3BJensen&doa=Apr+01%2C+1892&port=Copenhagen%2C+Christiania%2C+Christiansand&line=0628

Do you think this might be your greatgrandfather? Do you know what the M. in his name is short for?
Have you found him in the 1900 US census? Maybe you could try Isaksen/Isachsen/Isacsen or Aanonsen.
If this is him, it also means your mother remembers wrong about his mother beeing Louise. (Might Louise have been a relative taking care of Isak in US?)
Because he left Norway alone at the age of 5, I would think his parents had died and he was sent to relatives.
Another theory might be that his father who was a sailor, settled in US and Isaks mother died and he was sent to US to live with his father and maybe his new wife Louise... (Just a thought)

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  16:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This information is fascinating I see where it is mentioned that Isaac's father might have been a sailor, my mother remembers a picture of a man with a uniform and medals. It is amazing to me where the cycle repeated itself with Isaac being an orphan at 5 years of age, and also his children being without a father most of their lives. I'm running out of memory on my computer to input all this information this has been helpful. I know that my mother and one of my cousins will be fascinated with this information. I can't thank you enough for your help.

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  16:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is likely the arrival of the above mentioned Marie Aanonsen. Last residence listed as Tvedestrand (small town near Arendal, Aust-Agder). List herself as not having ever been to the US before and is travelling to 248 56th Street, Brooklyn.
From Ancestry.com

Name: Marie Aanonsen
Arrival Date: 18 Sep 1905
Birth Year: abt 1854
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Scandinavian
Port of Departure: Christiania
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: United States

Edited by - AntonH on 16/10/2010 17:06:21
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  17:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is likely the Marie Aanonsen from 1910 US Census. Gunnor is listed as her son and he immigrated in 1903. From Ancestry.com.

Name: Maria Aanonsen
Age in 1910: 56
Estimated birth year: abt 1854
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Norway
Mother's Birth Place: Norway
Home in 1910: Brooklyn Ward 8, Kings, New York
Marital Status: Widowed
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1905
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Maria Aanonsen 56
Gunnor Aanonsen 31
Amandus Paulsen 24
Claus Engelschjon 31
Einar Bentzrod 23

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  17:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same lady from 1920 US Census. Ingeborg Paulson is listed as her daughter. From Ancestry.com

Name: Marie Aamonsen
[Marie Aummsen]
[Marie Aanonsen]
Home in 1920: Queens Assembly District 4, Queens, New York
Estimated birth year: abt 1854
Relation to Head of House: Mother-in-Law
Father's Birth Place: Norway
Mother's Birth Place: Norway
Marital Status: Widowed
Household Members: Name Age
Amandus Paulsen 34
Ingeborg Paulsen 36
Martin E Paulsen 8
Agnes E Paulsen 6
Marie Aamonsen 66

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  17:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancestry.com has a record for the arrival of an Isak Isaksen. The person directly above him on the passenger list is Aasmund Jensen.

Name: Isak Isaksen
Arrival Date: 1 Apr 1892
Birth Year: abt 1887
Port of Departure: Copenhagen
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Norge
Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  18:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Hanson

There is a widow named Marie Aanonsen emigrating 7 September 1905,
Her age is given as 1854, born in Fjære.

Les

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

karenanderson
Starting member

Norway
23 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  18:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It makes sense to me that Isak mother was alive and when I seen the 1910 cenus I thought that person above him was his mother, it did list mother in law, I had actually entered her on the family tree, but then I thought no because the last name is not the same, but it all makes sense now that I understand how the name is broken down, what I don't understand is why she would send a 5 year old boy to the United States with this man Aasmund Jensen, was he a family member or trusted friend? I must say this is quite interesting.

Karen Shevlin
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  21:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that the lady above Isac M Anderson in the 1910 US Census bleongs to the family just above the Anderson family. That is the Hannigan, Thomas family with wife Jennie born in Ireland. The lady is named Anna Andrews, Mother-in-Law, also born in Ireland. This family starts on the bottom of page 10 and extends over onto page 11, just above the Isak M Anderson family..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article