All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Marriage Date - Neils Salmund AnneOttosd MoR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

davidcarlsen

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  02:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the date of this marriage please? - -#13
Thanks for your help.

Edited by - davidcarlsen on 18/09/2021 05:30:34

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  06:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It says "Samme dag blew og lyst fĝrste gg for u karl - - " the reference is to #12 where it says "4 Sĝndag efter Paaske" in 1830 this was May 9.

The record is not a marriage record but the info given in church that the couple intended to get married.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

davidcarlsen

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  07:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is an engagement register? And they intended to marry May 9?
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  09:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May 9 was the date when it was "lyst" ( = info given) in church.
(Engagement = forlovelse or engaged = forlovet/trolovet).

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 25/04/2011 09:05:34
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  11:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They married Mai 30. 1830.
Niels Morten Elias Salmundsen Stokke and Anne Sophie OttosDatter Hessen, #19

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 25/04/2011 11:56:28
Go to Top of Page

davidcarlsen

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  07:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the direction to the B in B register - I hadn't thought of that. Ane's father's name looks to be Otto Rasmussen - is that correct? I can't make out what is there for Niel's father's name but it doesn't look like a Salmund - what does it say. Can you tell me what the columns of information are on the right side of the book?

Edited by - davidcarlsen on 26/04/2011 07:59:14
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  10:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nils Martinus Elias Salmonsen (Niels Morten Elias Salmundsen) was baptized in Febr 1797, see #2 in second column. His father was Salmon Nilsen, Stocke.
In his marriage record his stepfather Anders ?stensen is listed.

Nils, his parents and siblings in 1801.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  10:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne bap. June 2. 1808 in Norddal parish, Mĝre & Romsdal, parents; Otto Rasmussen Hessen and Beathe Nicolaisdatter.

It was Niels steph father Anders Jensen Stokkke in the wedding record.
Niels parents;
Salmund Nielsen and Inger Olsdatter, Nils had 4 siblings in 1801, the family on Stokke 1801

Best men: Arne Rasmussen and Anders Jensen Stokke.

Not easy to translate old obsolete spellings to 2010 language.

"Tillysningsdagen" Mai 9, engagement.

"Af hvem tillysningen er forlangt" Who "demanded" reported the engagement ;
The groom and the best men.

Last column tells that both are vaccinated against small pox

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  11:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne Sophie Ottosdatter born on Dahle in Norddal, bap. June 8. 1808;
2. column about midt page, here;
Ditto dato (Same day as above), June 2. Anne Sophie parents Otto Rasmussen and Beate Nicolaisdatter Dahle

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this your family David?
I have (hopefully) some info concerning Anne Sophie Ottosdatter, but Digitalarkivet is temporary down.

Off the record;
I passed Lindset in Sandsvĉr several times in Easter, its two minutes walk from my cabin.
I told my family about the three sibling who died of smallpox there in 1801 and was buried in the same coffin.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

davidcarlsen

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  07:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Kare - this is my family. Niels is the brother of a third GGM on my mother's side. She is a younger sister of Neils named Andrine Severine, born in 1808. Salmund and Inger are 4th GGP's. My information tells me that Salmund died around 1814, hence the Stepfather, Anders in 1830. I want to track down the marriage record of Inger and Anders and find any children of that marriage. I also have information that Neils died in 1836 but I have not been able to find a death record for him. It also appears that Anne Sophie married again to Peter Thomas Knudsen and had 6 children, the first, Nicoline, supposedly baptized in Dec 1840 in Borgund but I have not found a record yet for that or a marriage record for Anne and Peter. The DA appears to be down tonight so I can not look for more.

You read these death records and see all the children that died and it makes you grateful you live in this time when that happens far less.

Edited by - davidcarlsen on 27/04/2011 07:25:42
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  09:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Life was hard in the past, so many children died.
The conditions improved when the vaccination program against smallpox started late 1700´s and in two generations the population in Norway doubled but not the mumber of farms.
The result was starving, and when America "appeared" in the 1820´s in the next 100 years half of the population emigrated.

Both Otto Rasmussen and Beathe (Anna Beathe) Nicolaidatter worked as servants in Norddal 1801.
Otho (Otto) Rasmussen age 27 on one of the Dahle farms owned by Ole Haldkieldsen.

Ane (Anna Beathe) Nicholaidatter age 17 on one of the farms who rented land from Norddal rectory, Engeseth countryside, owned by farmer Iver Arnesen.
Cicilia age 22 was probably her sister.
Cicilia was bap. Sept. 12. 1779, parents Nicolai Arnesen and Anne Nielsdatter.

Just a thought; perhaps farmer Iver Arnesen was Nicolais brother?

Otto and Anne married in Norddal church Jan. 19. 1806, right page 8-9 line below heading 1806, see here;
Dominica 2den p: Epiphanian.......
2. Sunday after Epiphany (Jan 19.) "Ungkarl og matros" Bachelor and seaman Otto Rasmussen Dahle and maid Anna Beathe Nicolaysdatter

It was probably on one of these farm surrounding Norddal rectory she worked 1801.
The buildings are protected, hopefully into a farm museum one day.
The information is in Norwegian with a link to "kyrkja" the church.
Hopfully it can be translated on your computer for a better understaning of the people who lived in Norddal.

You are a good finder, I am sure you will find the bap. records for Otto and Anna Beathe.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 27/04/2011 15:12:12
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  15:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otto Rasmussen Dahle.

Dahle/Dale fjord farm in Norddal has been owned by the same family since the 1700s and produces many local agricultural products is open for tourists, Norwegian link here
Click on Dale gnr. 49. bnr 11 on top left corner and see the houses.

Dahle includes Herdalssetra summer farm, English link here includes a link to the owners bottom of the page, perhaps they have further information.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 27/04/2011 19:16:54
Go to Top of Page

davidcarlsen

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  19:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for all the great information. I am working now but will have time to look at it all tonight. I have pretty good luck scouring all the DA books and can spot the names. Am learning more about the customs and some of the other words but still have a lot of trouble when names aren't underlined or when the writing is small, crowded or in gothic. The parish books only go so far and then you have to hope there is local information or bygdebok and I don't know much about what is available or how to get in touch with people who do know.
Go to Top of Page

davidcarlsen

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  03:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the record for Cicilia's birth - it was right where it should have been at 1779 given the age listed in the 1801 census. I have looked at every page from 1782 through 1786 for (Anna) Beathe but have not been able to find her. She should be there in 1784 if she is 17 in 1801. I have found 2 other children of Nicolai and Anne Neilsd - Anne Serine bottom left first 1789 record
and Giertude 1/3 down on right side so it seems likely they were in the parish around 1784. Any ideas on this one. I can't find Nicolai in the 1801 census and he should be easy to find so I am thinking he must have died before 1801 maybe explaining why Cicilia and Anne are listed in 1801 the way they are. Giertrude died in 1793 I believe but I will look for Anne Serine - about age 12 in 1801.
Also - look at that marriage record for Otto and Anne Beathe in 1806. Up near the top of that page - the 5th entry - there is a marriage involving Hellena Nicoliasd I beleive - another sister?

Edited by - davidcarlsen on 28/04/2011 04:34:47
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  23:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hellene Nicolaidatter could be a sister, she was from farm Indre Eyde and bachelor and seman Ole Haagensen was from Berdahl.

I have Nicolai Arnesen born ab. 1746 to Arne Engeseth, the rectory area in Norddal.

The priest had to keep paper and writing material of his salary.
You can often read from the records with small, dence letters if he had A bad economi or was a miser.

Unlike Anne Beathe Nicolaidatters burial record from June 16., she died June 10. 1853 on Hessen, occ. Kaarkone, age 68.
Plenty of space with large letters, see #24

Gothic is a challenge, this Gothic alphabet tells how different and in so manmy variations the letters are spelled

Need some rest after a minor surgery today.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 29/04/2011 14:14:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article