All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Is there a list of all Farms in Norway?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Patti Tolo
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  00:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a user-friendly list of all the farms in Norway? Preferably one that includes background history of the farm - such as the families who lived there, size of land, type of farming done or purchase records?

Patti T
Minneapolis, MN

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  05:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Patti,

The simple answer is no.

There are different lists at different times which might be more or less comprehensive and more or less user friendly. Farms are created and also are consolidated in time so chronological considerations are important.

The information you are asking about re the people on the farm & information about the history of the farm and what sort of farming is done on the farm, etc. is information usually found in greater or lesser degree of detail in the bygdebøker of the community the farm is found in.

A man named Oluf Rygh put together a set of 21 books-or so- giving a thumbnail history of every farm in existence during the late 1800s to early in the 1900s. The books are arranged geographically. There is an online searchable database based on these books. I have used this search engine but I find it rather unforgiving.

You might also find a set of books at a library called something like "Norsk Gaard Bruk". The farms are divided into volumes based on geographic location. There have been a couple of different editions of these books through the years and the farm owner and historical information is of the more recent chronology. Ususally there are pictures of the farm but the books only include farms currently operating--not farms which have ceased existing.

There is also a search database of the tax register from 1950 in which farms are searchable, again geographically, but information is limited to the name of owner or tax-payer.

One of the easiest to use search engines is the farm name search at the Norwegian digital archives for the various census years, 1801, 1865, 1875, 1900. What I do is look in the farm search for the census years closest to the date the person migrated to U.S. The search is easily conducted on all sorts of criteria (starting with, contains, exactly like, etc.)

Dialectical language and spellings will also affect finding the farm you seek. In the 1865 census there are "homey" details recorded such as the number & type of animals on the farm, how many potatoes are harvested, etc. So the actual census can fill in some of the details you mentioned as of interest.

Many folks don't know the name of the farm their ancestor came from, but you, apparently, are lucky and have that information.

Good Luck,

Jackie M.

Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  06:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This list has some of the farms listed, but as Jackie said, there are so many farm names and many duplicates, that it is hard to find the right one, without doing more research. If you have the names, then you can try searching the censuses and see if you can find the family. Don't be afraid to ask for help. :-)
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wgnorway/par-a-b.htm

Good luck, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  15:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patti,
You can probably find information about the farms in Askim in the published history/genealogy volumes for that district. "Bygdebok for Askim", 3? volumes, by Martha Østensvig, Ulf Grøndahl and Johan Gomvik.

I have no notes of any bygdebok for Skiptvet but study of the 1801, 1865 and later censuses of that area would allow you to create a list of the farm names there.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/bygdebok.html
Go to Top of Page

peder
Advanced member

USA
835 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  17:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
search links
http://da2.uib.no/cgi-win/WebBok.exe?slag=lesinnhald&bokid=nsf&innhaldid= farm book

http://www.dokpro.uio.no/rygh_ng/rygh_form.html
Go to Top of Page

SusanArnold

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  22:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still confused about the farm name and family names, as on previous topic I had been researching my grandparents names of Rody or Rodde and Gjerald or Jerald, and wondered why the last names are not used in searches, i.e. for the women. When they emigrated, my grandmother had Erickson as last name so was her father's last name Gjerald or Erickson? And if a man remarried for whatever reason, are the children using his last name or the farm name?

Sue Hardin
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  22:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Online study material to learn about Norwegian naming practices and patterns.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na12.html
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/names.htm
http://www.norwayheritage.com/norwegian-names.htm
http://www.nndata.no/home/jborgos/farms.htm

Those rules are generally all out the window when people emigrated. You have to know WHERE and WHEN to be able to determine what patterns might be in effect.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  22:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Susan.

Norwegian naming practices is a challenge before you learn how to use it.

Your grandmother Inger Endresdatter could well have emigrated as;
Inger Endresdatter
Inger Endresdatter Gjerald
Inger Gjerald
Inger Ericksen.
She emigrated as Inger Endresdatter Rody but married in Milwaukee as Inger Erickson.

Various spellings for Rødde over the years as the language changed.
Roe, Roudt, Rødt, Røed, Rødde.
The name Rødde means to clear the land.

The same for Gjerald:
Jerald, Jerdall, Joerdall, Jarald, Gjerald .
The name comes from the river Jadra (old norse naming for boundary or edge)

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

SusanArnold

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  23:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has always been puzzling about the names as never knew either of my maternal or paternal grandparents, and my grandmother Inge had Gerald listed as father's name on her death record in Ludington, Mich. so guess that was only name her children knew. And my mother's family was Rohde in Wisc. I had looked up background of names and Rohde didn't sound like a Norwegian name, and data showed it was German or English. My paternal grandmother was German, even though parents were born in Leningrad! My father's father died before he was born, and my mother never knew her grandparents either. Took me 65 years to get interested in all this, but then our ancesters didn't have the internet access back then! haha!

Sue Hardin

Edited by - SusanArnold on 10/05/2011 23:12:18
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  23:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen entire families of Norwegian emigrants to the US choose various various names -- one brother chose to be identified by the old Norwegian farm name, another chose his patronymic to use as an American surname, another also chose the old farm name but Americanized the spelling almost beyond recognition, one sister chose to be known by her father's patronymic, etc. etc.

One of the brothers in the same above family is found in 8 different US records with 8 different versions of his name! The Americans could not handle the Norwegian spelling and they butchered the pronounciation -- so he just kept trying to make it easier for them. But in the end his US gravestone goes back to the spelling as it was originally in Norway AND he included his original patronymic name too.

The farm name was actually their ADDRESS in Norway but was often used as an identifier in ways similar to a "last name".

My own great grandfather went by his patronymic (Olsen) or his family's rather unique Norwegian farm name alternatively in US records until he completed his naturalization. From then on he settled on just one name (the farm name) and the family still goes by that today.

Spelling variations and problems are in no way limited to Norway or to Norwegian emigrants.
http://dgmweb.net/Ancillary/OnE/Spelling.html

You put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and you just figure it out.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  00:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Internet is a very important tool in genealogy.

The biggest problem was the letters Æ-Ø-Å and to avoid all questions about how the name was spelled often firstname and lastname/Farmname was Americanized as for Rødde to Rohde.

The English and Norwegian alphabet is pronunciated quite differently, Rødde is pronounced similar to Roedde.

Male names; Lars changed to Lewis, Anders to Andrew, Johannes to John, Colbjørn to Colby, Gulbrand to Gilbert, Christopher to Chris, Østen to Austin etc.

Female names; Ingeborg to Isabel, Berthe to Betty, Karen to Carrie, Marit to Mary, Kjerstine to Christine etc.

The same case with the farm names, espesially those containing Æ-Ø-Å, Sæter to Sater, Bjørnerud to Bearrood, Øimoen to Eimoen, Gårder to Gorder, Løvmoen to Lommen etc.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/05/2011 00:03:15
Go to Top of Page

SusanArnold

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  07:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what was Endre? thought that one was english version of Andrew!

Sue Hardin
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  09:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were no rules.
Endre probably to Andrew, the same as for Andreas, Anders.
I used only examples of name changes.

Some retaining only kept the initials, others, but few, changed the name to unrecognizable.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

janrm
Medium member

Norway
80 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  04:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Patti Tolo

Is there a user-friendly list of all the farms in Norway?

As mentioned already in this topic, there is no simple answer to this. There are however a couple of sources you may find useful here:

Land Register 1886: ("Matrikkelen 1886")

http://www.rhd.uit.no/matrikkel/matrikkel.aspx

Land Register 1950: (draft) ("Matrikkelutkastet 1950")

http://www.dokpro.uio.no/cgi-bin/stad/matr50

The Censuses also provide useful info on livestock, harvest etc.

Jan, (Mr.) Norway
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article