All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Oley Hanson and Juleanna Hansdatter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lynn Peterson
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  05:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Married Feb. 7, 1846 in LaSalle county Illinois, USA. Looking for information about both of their families in Norway.
Oley was born in Norway about 1815 and Juleanna was born about 1822 in Norway. Thank you.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  15:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There must be more information about Ole and Julia to be found in Illinois before you can take your research over to Norway. Hints as to WHERE in Norway were they each from is your very very important clue to search for.

They appear in at least 3 different US censuses in Mission township of LaSalle Co. Illinois so that would make a logical place to search for information.

You should search for church records of a Norwegian-Lutheran congregation where they may have been members, had their children baptised, etc.; obituaries; published histories of small towns or the township; also any mentions of other family members from Norway. A few possible resources were quickly obvious in the LDS Family History Library online catalog.
"Cemetery records, Norway Cemetery Mission Township, LaSalle County, Illinois" compiled & edited by Elmer Dickson
"A history of the Norwegians of Illinois..." compiled and edited by A.E. Strand
"Norwegian immigrants to the United States a biographical directory 1825-1850" by by Gerhard Naeseth (probably volumes 1 or 2)
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  20:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I checked the first 3 volumes of Naeseth's books mentioned by Hopkins but found no obviously matching indiviiduals--most were outside + / = 5 years of the birth dates given and there were no women of the name Julianna [s[s]]at all. Most likely there are vairations of birth year information and names which would have to be studied more closely to determine connections.

Okay so here is one, from Volume I

Came on the ship Haabet from Stavanger to New York landing on 19 July 1843, #703 Juliane Hansdatter Kongsli b. 1829? from Målselv bygdebok I 313 Lenvik, Norway daughter of Hans Iverson Kongsli bap 15 Oc 1799 Nord-Fron & Gunhild Pedersdatter b. 1799? and sons Ole Hansen b. 1825?, Hans Hansen b. 1834?. All are in the orginal passenger list as Iverson. Hans Iverson's parents are listed as Iver Engebretson and Thora Thorsdatter. No word on where in America the family settled nor about descendants.

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/06/2011 20:45:56
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  07:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Records of the "Iverson" family moving out from Målselv (Lenvik) March 22 1843 are #1-5. They were heading for Gudbrandsdalen.
Juliane was then 11 years old, i.e. born approx. 1832.
The father Hans Iversen in

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 11/06/2011 07:59:42
Go to Top of Page

Bjarne Johnsen
New on board

Norway
2 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  21:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hans Iversen (Iverson) who in 1843 emigrated to the States was my great-great grandfather. Unfortunately Naeseth has got his parents wrong in his book "Norwegian Immigrants to the United States".Hans was born on Feb 5 1790 as the son of Iver Hansen and Anne Enochsdatter on the farm Amundlien in the parish of Sør-Fron in Gudbrandsdalen (valley). There has been some dispute as to the name of the daughter. The passenger list of July 1843 gives her the name Birthe, whereas she has been named Julianne in the church book on leaving Målselv.
In a Norwegian newspaper article in the 1920s Hans Iversen is said to have stayed in Canoe Township in Iowa. There is no record of what might have happened to the rest of the family. Some years later Hans probably moved to California. I hope this can be a contribution to solving the mystery of the fate of this family.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  21:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Canoe Township in Iowa is in Winneshiek county.

So the family left in Norway isn't sure what happened to any of the members of this family?

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Bjarne Johnsen
New on board

Norway
2 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  21:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
that is correct. For several years I have been searching for information on the family but so far the previously mentioned newspaper article,which was referred to by a local historian in an article in the parish newsletter, is the only trace of my ancestors in the States that I have come across.
Bjarne
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article