All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Septembrio? Septentrio? Error in dates?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kendall Mellem
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  03:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norway Heritage's list of ships names the one my ancestor took to Quebec _Septentrio_. I find the same ship listed as _Septembrio_ on a Norwegian passenger list in the online records of the Canadian Library and Archives for the port of Quebec (arriving August 27, 1869). Does anyone know which name is correct?

The Norway Heritage lists this information for the ship above the article: "1869 Captain Thor Torjesen from Christiania May 25 to Quebec Aug. 27." However, the body of the article states that "at 9 PM Tuesday, June 15 1869 the Septentrio was towed out from Risør to commence her first voyage," and later that the ship left Christiania on June 28. These three dates seem contradictory.

Both the Norway Heritage page and the Canadian Library and Archives page agree that the ship anchored in Quebec on Aug. 27, 1869.

Kendall Mellem

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  03:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This information is found in a RootsWeb posting. http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NORWAY/1999-09/0936860183

I am including the information we have about the Septembrio on our web page about
Norwegian emigrant ships, The Solem, Swiggum and Austheim ship index:

The Septembrio of Risør was built in 1869 at Moen, Sønderled in Risør by G.
Pedersen
shipyard. Masters were Thor Torjesen, and N. B. Jensen 1891 - 1894. Her
tonnage was 364 gross tons,
343 net. Dimensions: 112 feet of length, 27 ft breath and 15 feet depth.
She was broken up in 1894.

In 1869 bark SEPTEMBRIO arrived at Quebec from Christiania in ballast. She
was carrying 205
steerage passengers. One was sick with bronchitis when the ship arrived at
the quarantine station on Grosse Ile. One child was born and had died during
the crossing. Two passengers had died from diarrhoea and miasmus. SEPTEMBRIO
was mastered by Capt. Thor Torjesen, with a crew of 12.

Beste hilsner fra Børge
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  04:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The orginal manifest viewable through Ancestry.com is a four page document. The first page in the passenger manifest shows the ships name as Septembrio. The other three pages show the passengers on this ship. The only date is August 1869.

The first page reads as best I can read it.

Pasagener med Emigranti???? , Septembrio fra Christiania ti Quebec
Go to Top of Page

Kendall Mellem
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  14:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both. I am quite amazed at such fast responses! It would appear that the ship's name on the Norway Heritage page and index (http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=septe) is incorrect and should be Septembrio. The May 25 departure date given there under "Remarks" remains unexplained. I'd chalk it up to simple error, but that the date is also given in an old newspaper clipping I have from Norway--it's actually this date that enabled me eventually to find the ship and the passenger list containing my ancestor's name. So the May 25, 1869 date must reference something from Norwegian records, but it cannot be the departure date of the Septembrio for the voyage that arrived the end of August.

Kendall Mellem
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  16:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The correct name is SEPTENTRIO. We also originally believed that the name was Septembrio as that is what it reads on the passenger list. When we were contacted by Nils Moen, who's great grandfather was the builder and partial owner of the ship we realized that it should have been Septentrio. The name Septentrio is also a logical name for a ship when you know the meaning of it - here from the web:

"Septentrio is the Latin word for North as used on historic maps. Originally it was the name for the wind blowing from the North, the direction of the seven stars in the Big Dipper, the constellation which points to Polaris or the Northern Star, and thus by extension a navigation term to indicate the direction North."

I believe, if I recall correctly, that the 25 May date was found in an old announcement for the intended departure. From the detailed account Nils Moen submitted it is appears that the actual departure was June 15, and I have no reason to doubt that information. I have removed the May 25 reference to avoid confusion.

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Kendall Mellem
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  18:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mange takk for the very logical explanation of the ship's real name. I will correct my records. I'm still confused about the date of departure. The body of the text says the voyage took 60 days, from June 28-August 27. Perhaps June 15 was the date that the bark was towed to Oslo to prepare for its (maiden?) voyage, but that voyage did not actually commence until June 28.
Again, I'm grateful for your help.
Kendall Mellem

Kendall Mellem
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  18:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I did mean departure June 28th, as it reads in the account: "The emigrants boarded the ship on June 28th" - "They departed from Christiania on June 28th at 8 o'clock p.m"

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article