All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Johannes Johannesson Raa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  14:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am inputting these names into my family tree like for instance, lets take Johannes above....Johannes Johannesen Glithaug. Or sometimes Johannes Johannesen Raa. I also see where they have multiple farms after the name. Isn't it appropriate to put the farm (gard) that they were born on after their name if you were inputting it into a family tree? I know the names changed as they moved from one farm to another but in a genealogy sense, is it more appropriate that if you were entering a name into a family tree, you use the farm that they were born at the end of their name?

There are many different people researching their Norwegian ancestors and many different ways are chosen to handle that. I have good friends who record their Norwegian ancestor's information differently than I and they are excellent researchers who I respect greatly. I can only tell you about how I have chosen to record that information.

When you say 'inputting these names into my family tree' I imagine someone using a pedigree chart and writing the names down. If so, then do whatever you choose.

I use genealogy software for my family research and therefore I take advantage of the entries in that particular package that I can use for these 'multiple names' and 'farm names'. The specific software I use allows name entries for TITLE; PREFIX; GIVEN NAME; MIDDLE NAME; LAST NAME; and SUFFIX. I can also enter multiple names for each person which I refer to as name variants -- some software also allow 'AKA' (Also Known As) entries.

I use the SUFFIX entry to record a farm name if I find iit used anywhere in my ancestor's documentation and that allows the software to generate reports and charts for me with the farm name placed at the end of the name. If I find more than one such farm name for the same person then I enter ANOTHER variant name for the same person and record that also. I always keep careful notes of WHERE I found the information as a source citation for every such entry.

I keep all the farms also in the software as Place Names where the software can record such detail. Since my software was designed for American/Engllish use I adapt the available place information entries for my own use like -
Address - Hildal (Norwegian farm)
City - Odda (parish/Sokn)
County - Ullensvang (clerical district/Prestegjeld)
State - Hordaland (county/province/Fylke)
Country - Norway
My software also allows me to keep memos about each place so that is where I record brief summary of other spellings of the farm name found, historical changes in parish affiliation, boundaries, etc. along with more detailed source citations about WHERE the information was found.

You can choose whatever genealogy software suits YOU best, there are MANY different ones available. Just make sure that you can make it do what you need it to. If you were given family information already in a software program that doesn't suit your purposes then you can export the information to a new program of your choice.

Whatever software you choose make sure you keep good source notes and backup the data frequently. When you decide on a method to record multiple farm names (addresses) be consistent in how you record them - otherwise you will just be confusing yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  15:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rikum was one of the largest farms in Lĉrdal, former Noble farm, first mentioned in 1330.
Rikum, todays Rikheim has been owned by the same family since 1666.
Rikheim means a rich and powerful farm.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 03/09/2011 15:38:04
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  22:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mette Olsdatter Rikum b. 1808, she had a sister Gjertrud b. Jan. 1. 1806.
Gjertrud Olsdr. Rikum married Ole Nilsen Hilleren, a son Ole Olsen b. Sept. 16. 1840, see #156

Ole Olsen Hilleren em. to USA April 1862, see almost bottom right page #75

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  23:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucas
Your familytree is right about the father Agrim.

Not sure when until 1856 Agrim´s wife Anne Olsdr. died.

Agrim Pedersen Lysne b. 1782 em. to USA April 1856 with "Datteren" daughter Ingeborg Agrimsdatter ibid (means the same; Lysne) b. 1830 and "Barnet" her son Anders Andersen ibid (Lysne) b. 1855, see right page #73-74-75

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  23:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agrim Pedersen did not em. at random.

2 years earlier, April 1854, his son Peder Agrimsen Lysne b. 1808 with wife Martha Andersdatter b. 1822 and a son Anders Pedersen b. 1850 em. to USA, top right page #16-17-18

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Lukeduk1980
Medium member

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  18:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, thanks Kċre. I'll add that to the family tree
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  22:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
It looks like most from this family, except for Lars who settled down in Eidsvold, emigrated to the US.
Agrims son Nils born Oct. 18. 1818 married Kisti Olsdr. April 13. 1852, a daughter Anna born July 1. 1855.
This family emigrated with Agrim April 1856, see right page, Nils Agimsen Lysne and his family #22-23-24

There were 5 em. ships leaving Bergen 1856, dest. Quebec.
April 30. Juno
Mai 5. Columbus
Mai 6. Jĝrgen Brunchorst
Mai 12. Hege
Mai 15. Hakon Adelsten

Do you want more Eidsvold information to add in your familytree?

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  08:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lĉrdal 1851.

Lars Agrimsem Lysne and Ingeborg Monsdr. Ekri got a son Mons Larsen born out of wedloc Sept. 17. 1851.
Info. tells Mons was her 3. child and Lars 2. child born out of wedloc, see #149

Mons Larsen 15 and his mother Ingeborg Monsdr. (servant) on farm Kvamme Nedre, Borgund subparish, Lĉrdal in 1865

Kċre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article