All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Peterson/Petersen - John Martin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9214 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  04:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the family in the 1861 Wales Census. She is listed as a widow. So Henry Peterson was dead by then.

1861 Wales Census
1861 Wales Census
Name: Margaret Peterson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1820
Relation: Head
Where born: Carmarthenshire, Wales
Civil Parish or Township: Swansea
Town: Swansea
County/Island: Glamorgan
Name Age
Margaret Peterson 41
Henry C Peterson 9
Margaret Ann Peterson 6
Maria Jones 23

Edited by - AntonH on 09/02/2014 04:28:51
Go to Top of Page

marilynjones
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  11:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah well, never mind, it was an idea well worth exploring and name changes certainly do happen don't they? I think it may have fallen through anyway when I locate Henry's marriage certificate (in one of many files in a cupboard!) if it shows someone other than Gudmund as the father. I never expected this to be easy, but your help is certainly very encouraging for me. The search continues!

Thanks and best wishes

MarJones
Go to Top of Page

marilynjones
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  12:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! From memory, I think I had some difficulty looking for Henry as well as JMP. I think I looked to see if there was a census entry for him to get a place of birth but struggled at the time. I imagine he too may have died at sea. I think I didn't look any further in to him as he appeared to me at the time not to be related to JMP.

There was a huge amount of sea traffic around John and Henry's time as Swansea was a major world centre for the smelting of copper - it was labelled "Copperopolis" - with lengthy journeys across to South America, via Cape Horn, and back, and that's apart from the shipments of coal to many other places. I do fairly frequently see in local newspapers of that period where they simply say that a crewman (unnamed) was lost overboard on such a journey. Our local Record Office, the West Glamorgan Archives Services, holds a large number of crew lists relating to Swansea-registered ships, mainly from a slightly later date than we're interested in, but they're organised by ship's registration number and name, so not really practicable to use. A local chap has done a great job with these by transcribing many and creating his own website but it doesn't help with JMP or Henry. It does have a couple of journeys by a David Petersen/Peterson who I believe is JMP's son, but obviously the journeys are later than we want for this enquiry. The website's here, in case you may find it useful for other enquiries:- www.swanseamariners.org.uk I've just noticed that there's a Henry Peterson on there, around about the right age for our Henry, but he's Swedish! The plot thickens.

I'll dig out what I've got on Henry.

Thanks again.

MarJones
Go to Top of Page

marilynjones
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2014 :  20:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've checked out Henry Petterson who married in Swansea in August 1848 and can confirm that his father is named as Thomas Petterson on the certificate, so he can't be the brother of John Martin Petterson. His father was named as Goldman, probably Gudmand, Gulmand, Guldbrand etc. The search goes on!

Thanks again to all.

MarJones
Go to Top of Page

marilynjones
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  20:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there

Sorry, but I seem to have lost the last post before I could make a response. I think the full details of Henry Petterson's marriage were asked for, so here are the details:-

It was no. 437 in the Parish Register book, the marriage taking place at the Parish Church, Swansea, after Banns, on 17 August 1848. Henry Petterson, bachelor, and Margaret Phillips, spinster, both described as full age, both showing as living in Swan Street. Henry was described as a Mariner and his father's name was Thomas Petterson, also a Mariner. Margaret has no entry in the Rank or Profession box, while her father is shown as John Phillips, described as a "Skinner". Henry appears to have signed his name himself, whereas Margaret indicated by mark only. The witnesses were D. Evans and John Walters, who both signed, as did E.B.Squire, the Vicar.

Any help will be very welcome indeed. Many, many thanks!

MarJones
Go to Top of Page

Annpat
New on board

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2014 :  18:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just like to thank so many people for trying to trace JMP, I have been reading the messages going back and forth and am very excited and hopefully that we may finally find him. I agree with my cousin Marilyn that the first finding of Johan Mathin Pedersen is unlikely as he would have been only sixteen getting married. Marilyn is my first cousin and works tirelessly helping people trace their ancestors, and is so frustrated in not finding her own, she will eventually I'm sure. If I may add some input, if only small, while I agree that Henry and John are not brothers we have always been told by the family down the years that there were two Petersen men who came to Swansea, why would that be said? Anyway keep up the good work, I am hopeful of a good outcome.
Ann pat
Go to Top of Page

marilynjones
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2014 :  19:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ann

Thanks for this.

Delighted that you've spotted these posts - I was hoping to find him and be sure of the facts before passing the info on. Looking for Johan Martin Gudmundsen now (and variant spellings) and I think we may well be on the right track. There are several Gudmund Petersons around as possibilities for JMP's father, but with lots of variant spellings of Christian names and surnames, so will take a bit longer yet! Trying to tie up the right Johan with the right Gudmund, which is a far more credible Norwegian Christian name than Goldman. Just to confirm, I did find a Johan Martin Pedersen who was born in 1834, but his father's name was Peder Nielsen (i.e Peder, son of Niel/Nils or the like, and his mother was Gunnild Hansdatter ( i.e. Gunnild, daughter of Hans), so this Johan Martin became Pedersen because he was the son of Peder. We know that JMP gave his father's name as Goldman or similar when he married, so his father couldn't be this one, even apart from the age discrepancy of him being described as of full age when he married, i.e. over 21. Working away at this as we speak - exciting! We'll get there!

MarJones
Go to Top of Page

marilynjones
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2018 :  16:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

I was very grateful to receive a lot of help and advice in this forum some years ago in my search for information about my great-great grandfather, known in the family as John Martin Petterson. While I have yet to establish a place of birth and a Norwegian family for him, I have discovered that he died at sea, following an illness, in July 1859, near the island of Marmara in Turkey. He was buried at sea. The log of the ship "Quickstep", on what was to be his last voyage, confirms that he was Norwegian by birth, that he was around 30 years of age, that the vessel set sail from our home town of Swansea, south Wales, in April 1859 and that he left behind a widow and four children in Swansea. In fact, his last voyage began in April 1859, just 3 weeks after the birth of his fourth child Hannah.

I would be very grateful if someone could kindly help me in confirming the content of two digitised entries I have come across in the Norwegian Archives please? The first relates to the marriage of a Gudmund Pedersen on 1 November 1825, to Oliana Johnsdatter. The third column seems to contain the word " Bergen" and another word that begins "Rep......". Could someone provide me with a full transcript of this entry please? It can be found on the left-hand page, item number 19, via this link:-

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/9186/190

The second entry relates to the birth and baptism of John Gudmundsen, seemingly the son of the above-mentioned couple, in May/June 1829. It appears in the digitised Kirkebok for Rendalen, item number 17 on the left-hand page, via the following link:-

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/9192/44652/3

I would be more than grateful if someone could provide me with a full transcript of this entry please, including details of the sponsors. Does the word "Bergen" appear amongst the sponsors, or does that relate to the entry immediately above i.e. number 16? What does "L.N.63" mean in the entry please?

Any help that anyone can give will be very welcome indeed! These entries may not be relevant to my family, but I certainly feel that I should investigate them further.

Thanks again for help in the past and hopefully for now.

marilynjones

MarJones
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2018 :  19:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marilynjones

Hello

The first relates to the marriage of a Gudmund Pedersen on 1 November 1825, to Oliana Johnsdatter. The third column seems to contain the word " Bergen" and another word that begins "Rep......". Could someone provide me with a full transcript of this entry please? It can be found on the left-hand page, item number 19, via this link:-

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/9186/190

This column is for the names of the bondsmen or witnesses or groomsmen:

John Gudmundsen R?
Berger Jonsen Westgaard
Go to Top of Page

marilynjones
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2018 :  20:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for explaining - I see that it's the name Berger not the place Bergen then!

Many thanks.

MarJones
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9214 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2018 :  21:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a Tree for the family. Unfortunately it does not state what became of John.

Link
Go to Top of Page

marilynjones
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2018 :  22:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for responding to me.

It's so intriguing. I wonder whether the family researchers didn't know what happened to John because he left Norway to pursue a life at sea, then died still a young man, with a family far away in Wales, so a Norwegian death was never found?? I guess we may never know, but I would certainly love to find out and it gives me something to think about.

Thanks very much again - all information is useful and I value seeing this tree.

Regards

MarJones
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9214 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2018 :  22:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And another Tree on Geni.com. You can email the manager of the tree through Geni. Perhaps he will have some useful information on John.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 19/06/2018 23:02:09
Go to Top of Page

marilynjones
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2018 :  22:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for this further one. Very interesting, and that's a great suggestion. I will follow this up.

Regards

MarJones
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2018 :  04:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the Gudmund Pedersen databases says the family moved to Nordland in 1834. Here is the utflyttede record of the move, left page #8-12 :
SAH, Åmot prestekontor, Parish register (official) no. 5, 1815-1841, p. 586-587
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070603350063

John is not listed with the parents and siblings leaving.

Edited by - jkmarler on 20/06/2018 04:55:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article