All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Iver Iverson b: 1823 -Gr. gr. father- help needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  21:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also found this informative query from Judy, with some interesting facts.

1) She suspect Berthe Marie Andersdtr to have been married twice in Norway.
2) They arrived in America on September 15, 1865, resumably via Canada.
3) An old postcard sent from Henefoss to Berthe Marie wishes her Happy Birthday from daughter Inga. Henefoss, could that be Hønefoss, Buskerud?
4) With the three children who lived in America, 3 who died enroute, & daughter Inga, there are still two children unaccounted for--possibly grown and married when Berthe emigrated. Possibly born 1842-1846?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2012 :  02:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looked at the link jwiborg posted. Judy Smerud speculates:

“Berte Marie, daughter of Anders Haagensen Mellum & Berte Bergetsdtr under Glorvigen, born 20 June 1825 and baptised July 3, 1825. Parents unmarried…. Under Glorvigen, I have found an Iver Johannessen and Johanne Kristiansdtr who would be the right ages to be the parents of Iver Iverson. Also, the daughter Johanne born in 1859 could be named after the paternal grandmother Johanne Kristiansdtr.”

This forum found this same Berte (I also posted this on the previous page):
"Berte Marie Andersdatter born June 20 1825 was bapt in Hof Hedmark July 3 1825, see #110 She was born out of wedlock, her mother was Berte Bergersdatter from a cottar place under Glorvigen and the father was Anders Haagensen from Mellem. Berte Marie was confirmed in Hof in 1841, see #20"

Judy writes: "They arrived in America on 15 Srp 1865, presumably via Canada." I wonder what is the source of that immigration date? If Judy did not know whether the family arrived via Canada, then how could she know that date? I haven't found the immigration record...

Edited by - JaneC on 16/08/2012 02:38:15
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2012 :  02:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About this: "They had 6 other children born in Norway per the 1900 and 1910 census of Beltrami County, Mn."

I think what's meant is that the US census says Berte is the mother of 9 children -- X number living, X number who died. The US census does NOT indicate the birthplace of children missing from that census record.

There's Johanne born in Norway, Inga who wrote from Norway, three children who died enroute, and the two sons Benhard and Iver born in Minnesota = 7 children. Berte was about 40 when she immigated to USA.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2012 :  02:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The births of Johanne and Inga in Norway would prove the connection to the family in Minnesota.

Arlysheddan:

1. Do you have the original Minnesota death record for either Berte or Iver?

2. Do you have naturalization papers for Iver?

3. From the links to USA information that people have posted, looks like this family had a strong tie to a certain church. The church might have a record of the birthplace of Berte and Iver (although not necessarily). You might try that.

4. Do you know the source of Judy's statement about the family immigrating in September 1865? Did you find an immigration record on Ancestry or in a Norwegian Emigration Database? If the emigration record is found, we would have the names and ages of three more children to check for their births in Norway.

Edited by - JaneC on 16/08/2012 02:59:34
Go to Top of Page

arlysheddan
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2012 :  04:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Naturalization Record obtained from the Iron Range Research Center in Chisholm, Mn. It states that Bertha M. Iverson was born in Norway about 1824 and emigrated to the U.S. and landed at the Port of New York in September of 1865. She intends to become a citizen of the U.S. It is dated 11/22/1899. They had then just moved to Beltrami County, Mn. Her son, Benhard Iverson was a witness. I do not have naturalization records on Iver and his family prior to this document.
I have Bertha's death record from Beltrami County - She died 9/26/1914 - It states her birthdate as 5/20/1825. Birthplace - Norway. Name of mother and father unknown.
I have requested a death certificate on Iver iverson who died in 1896?? from the Polk County Recorders office in Crookston, Mn. I have not recd this info yet - if they have it. I know he died between 1895-1900 because he was on the 1895 Mn. census and died before 1900 census.
I looked for naturalization papers for Iver Iverson at the Mn. Historical Society in St. Paul once and found nothing.
They were married 47 or 49 years per the 1900 Beltrami Co. Mn. census. So, I believe they got married approx 1847-1852. So, they probably had some children prior to Johanna's birth in 1856 and possibly a child or two after Johanna because their next living child was born in 1866 in Minnesota and then my gr father Iver Jr. in 1869 in Sacred Heart, Renville Co. Mn.
I just recently got the birth and baptism record of their son, Benhard's birth of 10/2/1866 from the church in Lakeville, Dakota Co., Mn. There was no reference as to where they were from - which is what I was looking for.
I did not know of a daughter, Inga, and the old postcard. Something new to consider. I also do not know where she obtained the info of the three children who died on the way to the U.S. As she stated, this was family lore - but a possibility.
I thank you all again for helping me to try and find the connection for my family. Thank you, thank you.

Edited by - arlysheddan on 16/08/2012 04:31:28
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2012 :  05:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Sometimes birthplace info is included in confirmation records.

2. For the children who died on the trip from Norway, funeral services were sometimes held for family members years later after the family got established elsewhere.

3. Check for a funeral record at the church each parent belonged to at time of death. Very possible there could be not about their origins.

4. Many years of the Bemidji Pioneer are mounted at the Chronicling America website. Just Google chronicling America.

5. The town name for Inga's postcard might be Herefoss.

6. Bertha declared her intention to become a citizen because she also took a homestead. Perhaps she still owned her land at the time of her death, in which case there may be an estate settlement of some kind for her, disposing of her property and distributing the wealth to her descendants.

7. Solørlag has a genealogist--perhaps she has a tool or two to help? http://www.solorlag.com/www.solorlag.com/Home.html

These searches 1. & 2. are hard to request from the churches themselves since you don't have names to search for etc. But you may be able to search a church's records on microfilm if the church belonged to the ALC which later became the ELCA, the current holder of the ALC microfilm.

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/08/2012 06:27:18
Go to Top of Page

Smerelda
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  12:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arlysheddan

I have requested a death certificate on Iver iverson who died in 1896?? from the Polk County Recorders office in Crookston, Mn. I have not recd this info yet - if they have it. I know he died between 1895-1900 because he was on the 1895 Mn. census and died before 1900 census.
I looked for naturalization papers for Iver Iverson at the Mn. Historical Society in St. Paul once and found nothing.

Hello, I am wondering if you made any progress on your research into Iver and Bertha? Judy Smerud was my sister-in-law who did extensive work on our family trees. She passed away in 2005, all of her work was passworded on her computer and irretrievable, so I fear much of her work has been lost.

My niece has started genealogy searches on her families, and I am helping her with our side, using documents Judy had printed, as well as some books others have written. And now we're finding these sources online.

Studying this thread and other sources, I've developed this picture:
1825 - Berte Marie Andersdatter born June 20, 1825. Daughter of Anders Haagensen Mellum & Berte Bergetsdtr under Glorvigen
1825 - Berte Marie Andersdatter baptized July 3, 1825 under Glorvigen
1841 - (Berte Age 16) Berte Marie Andersdatter Confirmed in Hof
1847/1852 - (Berte Age 22-28) Married to Iver Iverson, son of Iver Johannessen and Johanne Kristiansdtr under Glorvigen
1847 - (Berte Age 22) Inga born?
1856 - (Berte Age 31) Johanna born December 29, 1856
1865 - (Berte Age 40) emigrated to the US, Port of New York.

NOTE: Using 1847 Marriage year, they would have been married 18 years. So children from this marriage would have been Age 17 (Inga who stayed behind??) and younger. Johanna was age 9. Berte could have had 5 more children before and after Johanna, but they wouldn't have been old enough to stay behind. It is also possible that Berte and/or Iver had children before they married.

1866 - (Berte Age 41) Benhart Iverson born November 2, 1866
1869 - (Berte Age 44) Iver Iverson born February 4, 1869
1885 - Census shows Iver Iverson (Sr) is present
1900 - Census reveals Iver Iverson (Sr) not present
1910 - Census shows Berte had 9 children, and only 3 were living
1915 - (Berte Age 90) Died

Here is some text I've transcribed from a big green book my late mother had. It has a section dedicated to the Benhart Iverson family. The book is called:

Buzzle Township
Pinewood Minnesota
1898-1976

Bertha Marie Iverson was born at Solar, Osterdalen, Norway on May 20, 1826. She was the mother of Benhart and Iver Iverson. She died at the home of her son Sept 26, 1915. She is buried at Osterdalen Cemetery and was the first body to be interred there. Her husband, Iver, preceded her in death at Nielsville and is buried there at St. Petri Cemetery.

NOTE: Her tombstone shows 1826 - 1915. There are many different birth dates floating around for gg-ma Berte!

A cousin created a book of stories and pictures called The Bruun Family History, which is a compilation of colorful family "lore" passed down from Iver and Berte's children and grandchildren. Their son Benhard Iverson was our g-grandfather, his daughter Regina (Iverson) Bruun was our grandmother. Two of Regina's daughters are our mothers, and they contributed the most. Their account of the emigration is likely where Judy got this information:

On November 2, 1866 Benhard Iverson was born in the USA, Dakota County MN. Benhard had three brothers who came over on the ship from Norway, but all died en-route and were buried at sea. His parents were Iver and Bertha Marie Iverson. They came from the Solar region in Osterdalen Norway to Dakota County MN via Ellis Island NY on May 26, 1826.

I know this thread is old, but I look forward to updates--if any.

Edited by - Smerelda on 09/05/2016 14:40:29
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  22:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smerelda

My niece has started genealogy searches on her families, and I am helping her with our side, using documents Judy had printed, as well as some books others have written. And now we're finding these sources online.

Studying this thread and other sources, I've developed this picture:
1825 - Berte Marie Andersdatter born June 20, 1825. Daughter of Anders Haagensen Mellum & Berte Bergetsdtr under Glorvigen

You have a lot of information. What kind of information are you or your niece looking for?

Have you seen this bapt. record ?
Berte Marie Andersdatter, she was born in Hof in Solør on a sub farm under Glorvigen out of wedloc to bachelor Anders Haagensen Mellum and "pigen" maid Berte Maria Bergersdatter ???under Glorvigen #110

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 10/05/2016 09:39:55
Go to Top of Page

Smerelda
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  00:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We want to fill in the blanks on our family tree that were left by Judy Smerud after she died. One of those blank items could be filled-in properly if we could find records on the following:

1. Official records on the Iver Iverson (b.1823'ish) who married, had children, and emigrated to the US with Berte Marie Andersdatter. (Birth Date/Parents/Siblings/Marriage/Death Date etc...)
2. The names of all 9 of Iver & Berte's children, and what happened to them.

In general, all of the basic genealogy information like she has found on most of our other ancestors :-).

Thanks for the links, I love looking at the old pages and documents.

Edited by - Smerelda on 10/05/2016 04:08:32
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  02:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This marriage is from MOMS:
POLK A/41 03/06/1878
TRONNES, THEODORE A
PETERSON, JENNIE

Kind of interesting is the Peterson name and Jennie as a version of Johanne.

There are only two marked burials in the St. Petri cemetery with Iverson last name:

Iver Iverson (one date) 1876
Almer Iverson 1895-1897

The Theodore and Johanne Tronnes family, Johanne given birth date of Dec 1860 and migration date of 1865:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M937-4RB

A death record for Johanna identifying her father as Iver Iverson, birthyyear apprx. 1857:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FD8N-YMQ

Johanne Tronnes in 1930 census b aprx 1858 migrated 1863:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X38V-Q6J

Son Taylor Tronnes' death record in which mother is identified as Johanne Iverson:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FD77-BWS

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/05/2016 18:38:53
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  01:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Below is just musing....no information.

Not finding Johanne in Hof churchbook from 1855 - 1859 born 29 December to any parents. Her birth date on Find-a-Grave, no primary source:
link

I wondered about the boys Bernhardt and Iver born in the USA. If three sons died enroute to USA, it is possible that Berte Marie and Iver would name the children born in USA after the children lost.

1870 US Census (previously posted; as transcribed on Ancestry.com; original handwriting has correct names)
Sacred Heart, Renville, Minnesota:
Ives Jaerson, 1823
Marn Jaerson, 1823
Johanne Jaerson, 1859
Behmer Jaerson, 1867
Iver Jaerson, 1869

1885 Minnesota state census
- 13 June
(P.O. Nelsville) Hubbard, Polk, Minnesota
Iver Iverson 62 b Norway
Maria Iverson 62 b Norway
Bernhardt 18 b Minnesota
Iver 15 b Minnesota

The candidate Berte Marie Andersdatter in Hof, born 20 June could be correct but the USA obit says "20 May 1896." Obviously wrong year, as Jan Peter says, but seemingly day-month could be right.

1900 US census says Berte Marie was born in MAY.
Berte Marie death record lists her birth date 20 MAY.

The place where she is "from" includes quite a few parishes. From Wikipedia:
"Glommadal (Glåmdalen) is a designation for the valley formed by the river Glåma (also called the Glomma), which is the longest and largest river in Norway. From Lake Aursund in the north on south to Elverum, the valley is called the Østerdalen. From that point south until Kongsvinger, it is referred to as Solør." Jan Peter posted: "Solør in Hedmark covers Brandval, Grue, Hof, Åsnes and Våler."

She can't be born both in Solør and Østerdalen, but she could be born in one and lived in the other.
link

Either way, suggests departure from Bergen. Often times a husband traveled ahead of wife and children; they might be traveling separately.

Re Iver, St Petri's Lutheran church, where he is said to be buried, might have information about him. Might be a local obit.

The private family history is amazing and wonderful, but so far the Norwegian records aren't jumping up to match it.

Edited by - JaneC on 11/05/2016 02:47:54
Go to Top of Page

Smerelda
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  04:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent an email to Arlys to ask if she ever received an informative death record for Iver Iverson. I have not heard back from her, but even if she did receive this, there are too many Berte Maria's born around the year 1825 in Norway, to know which one is our gg-grandmother.

I feel this is the correct one, because her birthplace is the only one listed in the region of Solor, which matches the birthplace provided by the family at her death, but the birthdate given at her death (May 20, 1826) differs from this familysearch.org record--except for the day:

Name: Berte Maria Andersdatter
Birth Date: 20 Jun 1825
Christening Date: 03 Jul 1825
Christening Place: HOF, HEDMARK, NORWAY
Father's Name: Anders Haugensen
Mother's Name: Berte Bergersdr

From Wiki - Hof is a parish located in the municipality of Åsnes in Hedmark County, Norway, which is part of the traditional region of Solør.

And it would be interesting to know the origin of the name of Osterdalen Cemetery in Beltrami Cty MN. I suspect since her family donated the land to the cemetery and she is the first buried there, that it was named for the place she claimed to have lived, and probably spoke of often. But still, we have no solid, documented proof that the Norwegian individual above is truly our gg-grandmother.

Likewise, we find even less information to prove the origins of her husband Iver Iverson. Judy Smerud mentioned records destroyed in a fire had hindered her search for him: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NORWAY/2002-07/1027039199

Our documented proof of the existence of Iver and Bertha Marie Iverson is limited to American records, with no proving documents to tie them back to their families in Norway. I will note the information (and speculation) provided on this thread, but cannot include their Norway Parents' names on our family tree docs.

I am learning much on this Norway Heritage forum, and am heartened at the knowledge and helpfulness of all participants.

Many thanks to you all for sharing in our searches.

Edited by - Smerelda on 11/05/2016 06:55:33
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  13:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the "master" index to the Norman County, Minnesota obits project:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mnnorman/Obituary/Obits-Master%20Index%202012.pdf

But here are the directions, important to follow!

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maggiebakke/normanobitbooks.html

In the RRVGS published (1980s era) book of cemetery transcriptions re St. Petri there is this note:

"Rev. Tom Kolden, St. Petri pastor phoned after previous writing. He told us St. Petri was originally named Tresjold Nenighed* of Marsh River. Their earliest members were Hans Gordon families, Tronnes, Johnson, and Jorgenson families. Earliest records begin about 1883. The church originally stood at the cemetery site and was later moved to Nielsville."

*should be Menighed

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/05/2016 13:49:35
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  14:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the pre1900 marriages of Traill county index found at usgenweb Traill county site:

Iverson, Iver
Erickson, Sophia
18 Jun 1891
Bk1 pg 76
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  14:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are the Bertha Iverson homestead entries in Minnesota at glorecords.blm.gov site:

Image Accession NamesSorted Ascending Date Doc # State Meridian Twp - Rng Aliquots Sec. # County

View Patent Image MN1450__.167 PatenteeIVERSON, BERTHA M 3/30/1900 952 MN 5th PM 148N - 035W NE¼NW¼ 14 Beltrami

View Patent Image MN3320__.256 PatenteeIVERSON, BERTHA M 5/10/1907 253 MN 5th PM 148N - 035W NW¼NW¼ 14 Beltrami

View Patent Image MN0380__.268 PatenteeRUNDHAUG, BERTHA,
PatenteeIVERSON, BERTHA 2/12/1892 5516 MN 5th PM 149N - 042W NE¼SW¼ 6 Polk
149N - 042W Lot/Trct 6 6 Polk

The top 2 are most likely your ancestor's claims. They were cash sales so unlikely to generate a lot of biographical evidence within the files (maybe not worth the purchase price from the National Archives...)

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/05/2016 15:01:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article