All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Vandellberg, Drammen and Budsberg, Gudbrandsdalen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aili_Dupuis
Starting member

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2012 :  18:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I came across a book which gives some more information on the family of Martin Matson's wife, Minnie Peterson: http://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=3514445&qryID=a4a16e57-4fe0-48a4-936c-502ed8112d8d

I am having trouble locating either of her parents' records. I know her father is Martin E. Peterson (spelled Peterson on his headstone and Pedersen in the 1900 US census) and that he was born July 17, 1851. From the book, I gleaned the information that his father's name is Peter Vandellberg (I am guessing this is a farm name?) and they are from Drammen. I cannot find any references to Vandellberg on the digital archives, so I am not sure the book has spelled the name correctly. Any alternative suggestions?

In the book Minnie's mom is listed as Kristina Budsberg from Gudbrandsdalen. I did some research and found that Budsberg is a farm, yet I cannot find her on the census record in 1875. I guess it's possible her family was gone by then. I don't have a date of birth for Kristina, but I know that she passed away in 1895 in Creary, North Dakota. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to find a record for Kristina? I don't know her parents names.

Not sure what year the immigrated, but their only child, my great grandma Minnie was born in Minneapolis in 1882, so it would have been before that.

I know that after Kristina died, Martin remarried Gunhild Thompson and they had three sons, Carl Theodor who died in infancy, Joseph Edwin (born in Minot, ND) and Theodore (born in Canada). Martin died in Claresholm, AB on December 13, 1907 and Gunhild moved with her sons to Paulsbo, Washington. I do have the records for Joseph's wife and family from that point on and know they ended up back in Claresholm, where they are buried.

I am mainly trying to find the families for Martin and Kristina in Norway. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Aili

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2012 :  20:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Kristina was from Budsberg in Vestre Gausdal.
Gausdal is located to the southern part of Gudbrandsdalen.

Two old brothers, Hans 1823,married, and Trond b. 1821, unmarried, lived on the farm in 1900, spelled Busberg in 1865

Just a thought, could Vandellberg be Vendelborg in the village of Hokksund in Ĝvre Eiker municipality, almost next to Drammen, link.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 25/08/2012 23:34:21
Go to Top of Page

Aili_Dupuis
Starting member

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2012 :  20:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Kċre!

I've been puzzling over the Vandellberg name, so I will go look for Vendelborg and see if anything comes up.

Also will see if I can find out anything more on Hans Simensen's wife and family.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2012 :  21:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ailish,
The 1875 Norwegian census databases are NOT complete. There are entire areas not included. Not finding someone online in the 1875 does not mean that they were not there.
Go to Top of Page

Aili_Dupuis
Starting member

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2012 :  22:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Hopkins!

It does seem many of the records haven't been transcribed; there are other Budsberg families online linking back to the farm (none with my Kristina yet) that don't show up in the census records, either. It's still exciting to think they may be related! :D
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2012 :  23:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Minnies father Martin E Peterson is Marthin Pedersen, born July 17 1854, see bapt record Aug 27 #152.
His parents are Peder Johnsen and Ingeborg Maria Pedersdatter living at Ullereneie.

Marthin, his parents and siblings were living at Vendelborg in 1865. (The father is here called Olsen which must be wrong - see bapt record for their first son Johan #16.)

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 25/08/2012 23:38:31
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  00:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vendelborg is to the right from Hellefossen waterfall with three sawmills, photo taken ca 1870

Todays Hellefossen is a power-plant and an exellent place for Salomon fishing.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 26/08/2012 00:12:58
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  14:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Info from Kristina Budsbergs marriage (fathers name?) or death (age when she died) would be helpful references.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Aili_Dupuis
Starting member

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  15:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, Einar & Kċre! I really appreciate you both taking the time to help and to post.

Einar, unfortunately I don't know anything else about Kristina. I've been looking through death records and cemeteries for Crary, North Dakota and surrounding area trying to find something more on Kristina, but so far I haven't found anything.

According to the book, Martin immigrated from Norway to Wisconsin (no place or date listed), where he worked as a steam-engineer in a sawmill, and he married Kristina (no date listed). Then they moved to Minneapolis where their daughter Minnie was born in July 1882.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  16:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could this be Minnie?
name: Peterson
birth date: 07 Jul 1882
birthplace: Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota
race: White
father's name: M.J. Peterson
father's birthplace: Nor
mother's name: Christine Peterson
mother's birthplace: Nor
indexing project (batch) number: C05479-4
system origin: Minnesota-EASy
source film number:

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Aili_Dupuis
Starting member

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  16:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could very well be her. I don't know what Martin's middle name is - just that it's an "E" in the book and on the headstone, but I know there are many variances in the records.
Go to Top of Page

Aili_Dupuis
Starting member

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  17:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a record on ancestry.com for a Kristine Pedersdatter Budsberg b. 1863 to Peder Kristiansen Budsberg b. 1826 and Ane Olsdatter Kjorstadeie. They also had a son listed as Ole Pedersen Budsberg b. 1865.

Peder Kristiansen Budsberg is listed as the son of Kristian Pedersen Budsberg and Marit Hansdatter Viger.

Kristian Pedersen Budsberg was born in Vestre Gausdal on 1800 to Peder Christensen Budsberg and Anna Syversdatter Nese.

Peder Christensen Budsberg was born in Vestre Gausdal on 1767 to Christian Pedersen Budsberg and Goro Eriksdatter Nordgċrden.

Maybe this is my missing Kristina...
Go to Top of Page

Aili_Dupuis
Starting member

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  19:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this online, too, regarding immigration:

Under the Vestre Gausdal section: Pederson, Christian (Budsberg) - Amherst Junction, Wisconsin

http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Gudbrandsdalslaget_Early_Member_Project

Can't say if it's the same one though. If he was born in 1800, he would have been pretty old when the family moved.
Go to Top of Page

Aili_Dupuis
Starting member

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2012 :  01:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who helped me - Vendelborg is the correct farm and because of your help I was able to connect with my 8th cousin in Norway and get confirmation, more information on the family and several more generations from this line. You're all wonderful!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2012 :  20:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kari Karnitz
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  16:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!! I am so excited to find info on our family and maybe help with yours!!!
I am the Great Great Grandaughter to Ole Olsson Budsberg, born1856 in Guasdal Norway, died tragically 1907 in Indiana at the hands of serial killer, Belle Gunness. His Mother, marit Budsberg, born Oct 1815 in Nese Norway, died 1894 in Creary North Dakota. Marit's Father, Peder Kristenson Budsberg, born 1767 in Oppland Norway, died April 1833 Oppland Norway. He was married to Anna Syversdatter Nese, born 1776 in Nesset Norway, died June 1851 Oppland Norway. Peder's father was Kristian Pedersen Budsberg and Mother, Goro Eriksdatter Nordgorden, born 1747 in Systuen Nordgarden Norway, died April 1828. My records for Goro go back another 5 generations. I can share if you have interest. I would love to compare notes and possibly find family that is still back in Norway. I do not have any sibling info for anyone prior to my great grandfather Albert Budsberg. I also have a couple interesting stories passed down from my father's uncle in addition to info on Ole's death.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article