All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Erick Braaten of Adelene Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2015 :  10:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Likely birth of Ole Torgrimsen Odden in 1835 in Sør-Aurdal:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/kb/dp/person/pd00000003401110

In other records the residence of Torgrim Andersen and Siri Halvorsdatter is given as " Odden af Haugsrud." Since John/Johan Syverson (Anne's first husband) is 99% likely to be brother-in-law to Ole Torgrimsen Odden, maybe this place name "Odden" was remembered by descendants as being connected to Anne (mixing up Anne and Johan families???) Trying to explain why tree creators/descendants list Anne's birthplace as "Odan."

1870 emigration of Torgrim Andersen and family here:
destination Milwaukee, Wisconsin:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/gen/vis/8/pe00000000403115

Edited by - JaneC on 14/06/2015 15:09:34
Go to Top of Page

mastokk2

Norway
70 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2015 :  11:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that can be a reason, maybe actually the thruth, or it can be what I disgussed with jkmarler, maybe because she came from Oppland=Ordan?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2015 :  15:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In other databases Anne's name is given as Erickson so perhaps there were many attempts to explain the unknown origins of Anne, this taking the tack that she was a sister of Gilbert Erickson Haugen. I did look in Aadahl and Norderhov records for an Anne as the sister of Gulbrand / Gilbert but found none.
Go to Top of Page

mastokk2

Norway
70 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2015 :  16:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I have located Annas fathers death date, and have sent request to Statsarkivet in Hamar, for a lookup in the dødsfallsprotokoll/skifte (probate in English, I think).

I am sorry for witing Norwegian, but I dont know the english word.

Edited by - mastokk2 on 14/06/2015 16:47:12
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2015 :  18:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is John Syverson with his parents and sister in Frankford, Mower county, Minnesota in 1870. John's name is carried as Hulverson:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MDH4-F9P
Go to Top of Page

jenseverson
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  09:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am the Granddaughter of Anne (Gulbrandson) and John Sievertson. They married in Mower county Minnesota February 21, 1876.
John born 04-10-1847in Naseie, Adal, Buskerud. Norway,
Anne Gulbrandson ( Gulbrandsondaughter )Born 29-12-1852 Haugan in Oyster, Slidre, Oppland, Norway. John Died 1891 in Sanders Township, Polk County, Minnesota.
Their children;
Caroline Seaverson
Gilhard Seaverson
Elsie Marie Seaverson
Albert Seaverson
John Seaverson
Joseph Theodore Seaverson ( My Father )

Anna married Erik Braaten about 1892 o 3. He had a daughter Clare Braaten he brought into the marriage from another marriage.
Erik and Anna had two daughters Emma and Gina Braaten.

Minnesota, Territorial State Census 1949-1905-is not correct. It has all the Seaverson children listed last names Braaten. This is an error from the Census taker, guess it cannot be corrected. I have sent in the correction to Ancestry and Family Search.

I know this throws those off Researching the family tree. I have all the Death, Births, Marriage Certificates. I think Erik had about two married before he married Anna.
You will find the spelling in many ways Anna, Anne as well as John-Jon Seaverson, Severson,. Marriage License of Jon , Anne They signed names-- Anne Gilbrandson--John Syvertson.
Hope this is helpful in your research
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  15:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can write to the original poster rdgruber or mastokk by clicking the appropriate icon on one of their posts within the topic. This topic was started in 2013 and Erik Braaten was extensively explored, including his other two marriages. The question regarding Anne wasn't totally resolved, how did you arrive at the idea that Anne came from Øystre Slidre or have you?
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  04:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too am wondering what evidence you found to confirm Anne Gulbrandsdatter born 29 Dec 1852 as your Anne. I don't read the residence as Haugen in the record of
birth in Øystre Slidre,Oppland

1865 census on Haugen

Erik C Braaten and Anna Syverson married
27 Nov 1892 in Marshall county, MN
(MOMS website)
https://www.moms.mn.gov/Search?S=1

Goodness sakes, a new thread was just started to find Anna's birth -
link

Edited by - JaneC on 01/03/2016 12:46:28
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  15:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the other topic, it's almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  00:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it is a toss up as to where to post on Anna, but I will post it here. It also probably repeats earlier data but I do not think I can go back and look through all those pages. Looking at the ELCA records on Ancestry, there are two records for Ann Gulbrandsdatter of Mower County. This is the earliest one and is for her daughter Inger Marie born in 1879.

Anne Gulbrandsdr
in the U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Records, 1875-1940
Name: Anne Gulbrandsdr
Spouse: John Syversen
Church Name: Bear Creek Lutheran Church
Church Location: Grand Meadow, Minnesota

One of the witnesses is Torgrim A Odden.

Edited by - AntonH on 02/03/2016 04:01:51
Go to Top of Page

jenseverson
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  05:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Well it is a toss up as to where to post on Anna, but I will post it here. It also probably repeats earlier data but I do not think I can go back and look through all those pages. Looking at the ELCA records on Ancestry, there are two records for Ann Gulbrandsdatter of Mower County. This is the earliest one and is for her daughter Inger Marie born in 1879.

Anne Gulbrandsdr
in the U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Records, 1875-1940
Name: Anne Gulbrandsdr
Spouse: John Syversen
Church Name: Bear Creek Lutheran Church
Church Location: Grand Meadow, Minnesota

One of the witnesses is Torgrim A Odden.

Hello Linda l40, I'm the granddaughter of Anne Gulbrandson and John Siverson (Syvertson). They married in State of Minnesoto, Mower Coumty USA 21. Feburary 1886. I am emailing all the Certificates , Death, Marriage, for Anna and John to Marian Stokken in Norway. She and her team have helped me immensely researching Anne, John. When I made my last post asking for Birth, Christening records, I really should have directed it to Marian Stokken. Sorry for any confusion.
OH- John and Anne daughter born 22- March- 1888 is Elsie Marie She had a twin brother, Albert.
Thanks for all your hard work doing research. :-)
Go to Top of Page

jenseverson
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  05:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

You can write to the original poster rdgruber or mastokk by clicking the appropriate icon on one of their posts within the topic. This topic was started in 2013 and Erik Braaten was extensively explored, including his other two marriages. The question regarding Anne wasn't totally resolved, how did you arrive at the idea that Anne came from Øystre Slidre or have you?

Hello JK Marler,
My information came from Mariann Stokken in Norway. She and her research team spent many hours, months helping me here in USA. We corresponded as they gathered information, and I gave what information I had..They found info where Anne (Anna ) resided in Norway. Haugen (a farm) Oystre Slider, municipality, Oppland Co.. Thank you ever so much.

Edited by - jenseverson on 02/03/2016 06:04:03
Go to Top of Page

jenseverson
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  06:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

I too am wondering what evidence you found to confirm Anne Gulbrandsdatter born 29 Dec 1852 as your Anne. I don't read the residence as Haugen in the record of
birth in Øystre Slidre,Oppland

1865 census on Haugen

Erik C Braaten and Anna Syverson married
27 Nov 1892 in Marshall county, MN
(MOMS website)
https://www.moms.mn.gov/Search?S=1

Goodness sakes, a new thread was just started to find Anna's birth -
link

Hello Jane C, You may read the quote I sent to Lyndal 40 and J K Marler.. The research has been done on Anne (Anna) and John Siverson (Seaverson) Severson ) In the USA the family has been spelled many ways, I have their marriage Cert. John Siverson, Anna Gulbrantson. They Married 21-Feb-1886 in Minnesota, Mower County.
Thanks ever so much . Jennice Severson
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  11:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jenseverson

quote:

Hello JK Marler,
My information came from Mariann Stokken in Norway. She and her research team spent many hours, months helping me here in USA. We corresponded as they gathered information, and I gave what information I had..They found info where Anne (Anna ) resided in Norway. Haugen (a farm) Oystre Slider, municipality, Oppland Co.. Thank you ever so much.

Who is your penpal Mariann? She is Norway Forum user mastokk2. Jackie suggested you write to her! See this link:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=1127

Now read this thread. Notice that mastokk2 asked this forum to search for the Norwegian identity of your Anne.

What was the outcome of that inquiry? Uncertainty.

The forum passed along information to mastokk2, who passed it along to you. I don't know if mastokk2 had additional help, but certainly a big part of "her research team" was us - this forum!

The forum found an Anne born 29 Dec 1852 in Øystre Slidre who is quite similar to your Anne. She is a candidate to be your Anne. In fact she's a good candidate.

But the mere fact that living people such as mastokk2 and forum members found a good candidate to be your Anne does not magically turn the candidate Anne into your Anne.

Your Anne has a birth date of 24 December 1852 inscribed on her tombstone. She was born on Christmas Eve. That's a memorable birth date!

No one has found an Anne in Norway born 24 December 1852.

You are telling us your Anne was born 29 December. You are saying her tombstone is wrong.

You need a source for that. For example, you have your Anne's death record. We don't. Does it say she was born 29 December?

Maybe the person who carved the tombstone made a mistake.

The candidate Anne in Norway can only be your Anne, if the tombstone is a mistake. That is possible. BUT it is not possible for mastokk2 to decide, what the heck, let's declare it is a mistake.

Mastokk2 does not have that power. Any one of us needs evidence by which we can SHOW it is a mistake. We need a family story, or a public record, which helps demonstrate that.

Maybe you have the needed evidence, but don't realize the importance of it.By saying mastokk2 is your source suggests a misunderstanding of what a source is. A source is not a family researcher. A family researcher SEEKS sources; she cannot manufacture them.

The findings of the forum can be confusing. It is not fair to let someone misunderstand. In all fairness, any misunderstanding has to be pointed out.

The needed records are not online. Only a short reference to the record is online. Only a dscendant would write to obtain copies of records and obits, which you have done. The full information in the originals is nor available online.

You may choose not to share your records with the forum, as you propose to do. But understand that your post is STRONG evidence that you do not know the Norwegian identity of your Anne. I thought you would say, "My dad told me where his mother was born." Instead you did the opposite. You revealed that the family lost the knowledge of Anne's origin, and you turned to mastokk2 for help.

Edited by - JaneC on 02/03/2016 12:45:53
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  12:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is from the cemetery database at pchs.org (Pennington county Historical Society):

Broten Anne 12/24/1852 12/18/1918 66 Landstad
Broten Erick 11/10/1847 5/7/1928 81 Landstad

From the obituary index database at the same place:
Broten Anne 19-Dec-1918 66 Landstad Sanders Spectator

Anne was born on Christmas Eve, according to this.

FYI there are 7 pages in this thread. Not sure that was noticed.

Not trying to bug you; trying to explain.

Edited by - JaneC on 02/03/2016 13:40:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article