All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Erick Braaten of Adelene Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  22:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastokk2

Just a curiosity: The child under Else Hellene is Emma Hellena Gulbrandsdtr . Father Gulbrand E Haugen and Berthe Syversdtr (Johns sister)

Gulbrand is treated on page 6 of this topic. Who are the faddernes of John Syverson's and Anne Gulbrandsdatter's children's baptisms?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  22:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Faddenes are Ole A Odden, Anne Helstrom ? Ingeborg S? Odden, Anne Ellingsdtr. Merit Syversdtr. As best as I can read them. Here is the record.

Else Hellene Braaden
in the U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Records, 1875-1940
Name: Else Hellene Braaden
Event Type: Baptism
Birth Date: 14 Sep 1877
Father: John Syversen Braaden
Mother: Anne Gulbransdr
Church Name: Bear Creek Lutheran Church
Church Location: Grand Meadow, Minnesota

Edited by - AntonH on 06/03/2016 22:41:11
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  23:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going back to the ELCA data base, I wonder if this might not be the marriage of John and Anne.

Johan Siverson

Name: Johan Siverson
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 21 Feb 1876
Marriage Place: Ostrander, Grand Meadow, Dodge, Minnesota
Spouse: Anna Zibbertsen
Church Name: Bloomfield Lutheran Church
Church Location: Ostrander, Minnesota

The brides name in the original record is Anna Gilbertson ? Looks like the word Mower is in front of her name.
Go to Top of Page

mastokk2

Norway
70 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  08:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Going back to the ELCA data base, I wonder if this might not be the marriage of John and Anne.

Johan Siverson

Name: Johan Siverson
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 21 Feb 1876
Marriage Place: Ostrander, Grand Meadow, Dodge, Minnesota
Spouse: Anna Zibbertsen
Church Name: Bloomfield Lutheran Church
Church Location: Ostrander, Minnesota

The brides name in the original record is Anna Gilbertson ? Looks like the word Mower is in front of her name.

Yes it is, it is the same I found, and told about in pg.8.
Go to Top of Page

mastokk2

Norway
70 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  09:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Faddenes are Ole A Odden, Anne Helstrom ? Ingeborg S? Odden, Anne Ellingsdtr. Merit Syversdtr. As best as I can read them. Here is the record.

Else Hellene Braaden
Name: Else Hellene Braaden
Event Type: Baptism
Birth Date: 14 Sep 1877
Father: John Syversen Braaden
Mother: Anne Gulbransdr
Church Name: Bear Creek Lutheran Church
Church Location: Grand Meadow, Minnesota

The Godparents names are: Ole T(orgrimsen) Odden, Arne Halstensen, Ingeborg S(yversen, one another sister of John, and Ole`s wife) Odden, Anne Ellingsdtr Marit Syversdtr.
Go to Top of Page

jenseverson
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  10:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Great, that's progress. So, noted here is one marriage record as recorded in the Bear Creek church book..

A modest fee must be paid, and a request must be sent, to obtain the two civil records of marriage.

1. Order Certificate #B-288, Mower County
21 February 1876 John Siverson to Anna Gilbertson

2. Order Certificate #B-409, Marshall County
27 November 1892 Erik C Braaten to Anna Syverson

Orders can be placed at website for Minnesota Official Marriage System (MOMS)

Also noted is a brief record of death? Not clear to me what you have posted. The civil record of death contains more information than what is stated here.

3. Order a copy of the civil record of death. Order can be placed on website of Minnesota Historical Society. A small fee is required.

4. Check the ELCA database for Landstad Lutheran Church in Sanders township (a township is a rural area), Pennington county, Minnesota if the family were members. They were buried in the Landstad Church cemetery. Maybe you are saying you looked at this church book. I can't tell.

These websites also furnish a street address if regular mail order is preferred over internet.

5. Write to Pennington County Historical Society. A newspaper published a story about Anne's death - an obituary. The newspaper was the "Sanders Spectator." (see page 4 of this thread.) Ask for a copy of the "obit," published 19 December 1918. They will mail it to you.

These are the basic US records needed in seeking Anne's Norwegian identity. The forum found and posted the index listing, that these records exist. But the online information is very brief. More information is included in the originals.

The church records are helpful, but the civil records (government) are also needed. Volunteer researchers are wonderful, but obviously they do not pay money for records.. That task falls to descendants.

There are no guarantees about what information will be found. Quite often civil records of marriage and death, and newspaper obituaries, hold clues to a person's identity.

Go to Top of Page

jenseverson
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  11:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have the original records: Marriage of : John Seaverson and Anna C. Gilbrantson. Thiis is how their names appear on tthe Marriage License. John Sieverson and Anna Gilbertson.
Original death certificate of Anna is written : Annie C. Brooten death date, Dec . 18th, 1918. Birth Dec.24,1852. Place of death St..Hilaire V, county of Pennington, Minnesota.
Death of John Seaverson January 29,1891 in Sanders Township, Polk County, Minnesota. Father: Sivert Seaverson. Mother: Annie Seaverson. All listed Born in Norway. States he is married .

WILL SEND FOR. THE OTHER RECORDS, MARRIAGE OF ANNA AND ERICK BRAATON/ Brooten.

JaneC ,
Sorry ment to place this information in quote Thanks ever so for giving me the source needed.

Edited by - jenseverson on 08/03/2016 05:59:02
Go to Top of Page

mastokk2

Norway
70 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  21:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally I received the probaterecords today!

It shows that Gulbrand Pedersen had a daughter Anne in USA, she looks to be the only one he had in America.

And together with the facts that there are going a girl from Slidre in the right age (and Gulbrand Pedersens daughter was the only one just then with the name Anne Gulbrandsdtr), and she used the name Haugen over there, and she is that close it can be with the birthdate (even not exactly right), I am sure (again) that she is the right one!!!
Go to Top of Page

jenseverson
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2019 :  05:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The census of 1895 regarding Braaten is incorrect. The children listed are Seaverson not Braaten.
Children : Caroline, Gilhard,John,Marie, Albert, Joseph, are the children of John, Anna Seaverson ( Syvertson)
Clare and Emma are children of Erick Braaten from a former marriage .
Joseph Seaverson is my father.
Anna, John Seaverson are my great grandparents.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article