All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Edvard Hansen Rødalshaugen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2013 :  13:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have information as to the fate of Edvard Hansen Rødalshaugen, born at Rødalshaugen in Ringebu, Oppland, on February 25, 1860, after he immigrated to the USA in 1882?
He was supposed to be heading for Westby, Wisconsin, when he left on Benneth Angelo May 4, 1882, but I have been unable to find him in censuses or other sources on the Web from after his arrival. Possible last names: Hansen/Hanson, Haugen, Rodalshaugen, Rodal. Hansen/Hanson may be most likely, as Rødalshaugen is not listed in the emigration information, see link below.

Edvard was the son of Hans Hansen (b. 1824) and Abelone Engegretsdotter (b. 1823), and his siblings were:
Engebret, b. March 25, 1847
Hans, b. October 1, 1849
Marit, b. January 18, 1852
Gjertrud, b. July 3, 1855
Niels, b. December 26, 1857
Kristian, b. January 1, 1863
Karen, b. May 6, 1865

Sources for Edvard:
Birth/Christening http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?urnread_imagesize=medium&info=ingen&hode=nei&show=6&uid=362172&js=j
Confirmation http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?urnread_imagesize=medium&info=ingen&hode=nei&show=381&uid=363509&js=j
Emigration http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=65&filnamn=emikra1&gardpostnr=51780&merk=51780#ovre

Thanks for any clues or information!

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2013 :  23:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well here is a possibiity. The name is difficult to read and I only found it by searching for Magnus Rosgtad and Marta Rogstad. Here is an Ed (last name difficult to read but could be Rødalshaugen. He is on the same page as Magnus and Marta Rogstad. Page #409.

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Ed Balshanger
Arrival Date: 29 May 1882
Birth Date: abt 1861
Ethnicity/ Nationality: German
Place of Origin: Germany
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Nevada

Here is the information on Magnus

Name: Magnus Rogstead
Birth Date: abt 1832
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Swedish
Place of Origin: Sweden

And Marta, Note the ages seem to be reversed from the Emigranter list you posted.

Name: Martha Rogstead
Birth Date: abt 1861
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Swedish
Place of Origin: Sweden
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2013 :  23:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is hope. It loos like Magnus did make it to Westby, Vernon, Wisconsin.However the immigration year is wrong and it appears that Magnus is married in 1887 to a new wife? Or was Marte his mother, not important to you, , Now the question is did Edvard also make it to Wisconsin. Westby and Webster are both in Vernon Couonty and are about ten miles apart.

1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Magnus C Rogstad
Birth Date: Aug 1857
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Webster, Vernon, Wisconsin
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1880
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Lulu Rogstad
Marriage Year: 1887
Years Married: 13
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Name: Nancy C Border
Mother's Birthplace: Norway

Edited by - AntonH on 19/05/2013 23:38:44
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  00:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is interesting, as Edvard is listed just following Magnus and Marta Rogstad (son and widowed mother?) in the list "Emigranter over Kristiania 1871-1930. The ages of Magnus and Marta are reversed on the listing you all found, but since Marta is listed as a widow, she is probably the elder of the two. But this is not the only thing that seems garbled on this list (nationalities particularly). Balshanger could certainly be construed as a misspelling or misinterpretation of Rødalshaugen. Is this a passenger list that is available somewhere, so I could see the original? I see that the Nevada sailed from Liverpool on May 17, 1882, and arrived at New York on May 27, 1882, so it could be the connecting ship for passengers sailing from Christiania on the Angelo May 12, 1882.
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  00:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I just discovered I could see the passenger list on Ancestry. This looks fairly promising. "-hanger" could definitely be interpreted at "-haugen", and the first part as other than "Bals-". Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  00:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This must be Edvard Rødalshaugen. I found four other people on the Nevada passenger list that are listed together with Edvard on the list, "Emigranter over Kristiania 1871-1930": Johan Larsen, Marthe Pedersdotter, Nils Nilsen Solem and Elise Olsen. So, now the question is where he went after he entered the USA. I suppose his immigration papers would give some answers. I suppose these might be on microfilm. Any ideas on how to find them?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  02:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a possibility in Crawford County Wisconsin which is the county directly below Vernon County Wisconsin. One intersting point is the mother whose name comes somewhat close to Abelone. Do you have any indication that Edvard's mother ever emmigrated to America. Since you seem to have Ancestry.com you can follow this family in Wisconsin. Emmigration year is way off but maybe incorrect?

1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Ed Haugen
Birth Date: Dec 1860
Home in 1900: Freeman, Crawford, Wisconsin
Immigration Year: 1868
[1861]
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Carrie Haugen
Marriage Year: 1895
Years Married: 5
Mother's Name: Agable Haugen

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  03:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a gravestone reference for Edward Haugen, this lists his birth year as 1860. Seems as if his burial county is Vernon County.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82816283

Edited by - AntonH on 20/05/2013 03:06:47
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  03:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Nancy but it looks like you have already followed this path before.

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.wisconsin.counties.crawford/1869/mb.ashx

Edited by - AntonH on 20/05/2013 03:20:45
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  09:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this information! You can see how long I have been working on this, but everything has been a dead end before... I had not seen the grave marker previously, so this is also new! Maybe I will finally get somewhere. If this is the right Edvard, he does have descendants in Norway. They have created many myths about him through the years, so it would be rewarding to find the truth!
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  13:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I suppose these might be on microfilm. Any ideas on how to find them?

Microfilm of passenger manifests for persons arriving at various US ports are available through the US National Archives OR the LDS Family History Library. The LDS library also has microfilm of arrivals through many Canadian ports for some time periods. Online availability of these records has been increasing in recent years.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  15:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curious. Why did you come to the conclusion that Edward Haugen of Crawford County, Wisconsin was not the correct person.

Edited by - AntonH on 20/05/2013 15:13:44
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  16:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

I am curious. Why did you come to the conclusion that Edward Haugen of Crawford County, Wisconsin was not the correct person.

The 1900 census says that Edward immigrated in 1868, not 1882. Maybe Nancy found him in the 1870 or 1880 US census. I didn't see him, however, when I looked in those census years.
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  16:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a long time since I posted this message about Edward Haugen, and I don't remember why I came to this conclusion! I must have found additional information - perhaps it was the immigration year? But I don't have the information in the papers I saved at that time. Now that I see the grave marker online, I will reopen the case for this Edward. An immigration date could be wrong...
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  16:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, immigration records can be incorrect. Here is another example for Edward Haugen from 1910.

1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Edward Hangen
[Edward Haugen]
Age in 1910: 48
Birth Year: abt 1862
[1862]
Home in 1910: Freeman, Crawford, Wisconsin
Immigration Year: 1859
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Spouse's Name: Carrie Hangen
Neighbors:
Household Members:
Name Age
Edward Hangen 48
Carrie Carrie 45
May Haugen 13
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2013 :  16:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also not found him in the 1870 or 1880 censuses. But here he is in the 1920 census http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1920usfedcen&h=63627067&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=2442
To complicate matters, his birthdate is listed as about 1863, and the immigration year as 1869! Edward Haugen is also in the 1940 census with the same ca. birth year http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1940usfedcen&h=82515204&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=6061
"My" Edward had a number of possibilities for a last name, and this Edward, regardless of whether he is "mine" or not - may also have varied his name, thus making it difficult to find him in the 1870 - 1810 census.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article