All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Veranda
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2013 :  00:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for information on the ship Veranda. Especially it's voyage 1858 Bergen to Quebec. My gggrandfather Nils Nilsen Myhre (later changed to Trøo which became Troe) arrived on this voyage and is quoted in Nordmændene I Amerika vol 1 as having drifted for 2 days in the middle of the Atlantic after having been damaged in a storm, and then being towed to Quebec by a steamship.

davidnt

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2013 :  22:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was all info I could get;
Veranda was build 1857 in Lillesand owned by Samuel N. Hansen from Lillesand.

Captain on the 1858 journey from Bergen was N.C. Flørnæss, also from Lillesand.

Searching on Nils Trøo and Veranda I came across this bap. record from Jan. 26. 1868 in Silver Lake, Worth Co. Iowa where Nils Nilsen and Liv Baardsdatter bap. their daughter Ingri link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 15/06/2013 23:35:08
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2013 :  22:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A question to you.
Was Nils Nilsen from Trøo in Gol parish in Hallingdal?
If he was, it was quite a long journey to Bergen.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2013 :  23:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

A question to you.
Was Nils Nilsen from Trøo in Gol parish in Hallingdal?
If he was, it was quite a long journey to Bergen.

Kåre

Not quite so far if from Tunhovd, Nore og Uvdal....
Go to Top of Page

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  14:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nils Nilsen b 1834 was from Vang I Valdres. His father was a Hussmann who rented a small plot of land on the Myhre farm which was then called Trøo (old Norwegian for a fenced in area for animals). He took the Trøo name (which as Anglicized to Troe) in the period between the 1870 and 1880 censuses after establishing his own farm in Silver Lake Twp, Worth County, IA.

I find it curious that I cannot find any information on the ship Veranda or it's voyage from Bergen to Quebec except on this website. Is it possible that the ship was so badly damaged that this was the only voyage it made under the name Veranda?

davidnt
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  17:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could try some of the newspaper sites, like Chronicling America or genealogybank.com ($$)

The comings and goings of the ships as they left harbors, passed other features and ports were often reported in the papers due to the telegraph

Looking for the word veranda at genealogybank found 480 listings limiting it to just 1858, mostly about carpentry or the porch feature on houses. Adding other pertinent words like "cleared" or "sailing" cut the number down but didn't produce a visual about the ship.

So the problem is the "embarrassment of riches" the name veranda produces when searching OCR sites. It was probably reported in a paper some place because knowledge about a ship's arrival was good for business.

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/06/2013 17:05:07
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  18:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diff. to search for a ship named Varanda (Porch) I got more than 4 million hits.

Now I understand how Nils Nilsen traveled from Valdres to Bergen.

He followed "Kongeveien" The kings road" from Valdres to Lærdal est. in 1647 for the post crossing the mountain Filefjell and expanded for horse and wagon in 1797.
Earlier it was called "Saltmannveien" Salt man road, used to get salt from the west coast to Valdres which gave good returns to the farmers.
The name "Kongevei" ment it was the king who ordered the road to be build so his officers could travel faster from east to west or vice versa or so soldiers from western Norway could get faster to east Norway that for centuries was in war with the Swedes.

Farmers along the road was responsible for keeping the road in order.
On the video which unfortantely only is in Norwegian you will see many photos from the road Nils traveled more than 150 years ago.
One will also se a rider with a "log" in his hand showing the width of the road (min 6 yds) and if touched the trees or branches the farmer had to pay a small fine, watch the video here

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 16/06/2013 23:19:31
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  19:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a very interesting find, Kåre.

On what page in Nordmændene i Amerika, vol 1, by Martin Ulvestad did you find the story of the Veranda? Some in the forum might like to read the story, and it's possible some further clue is there (such as the name of the steamship that towed the Veranda).

http://da2.uib.no/cgi-win/WebBok.exe?slag=lesbok&bokid=ulvestad

This Norway Heritage website does not list further voyages for the Veranda.

Searching Proquest newspaper archive and Chronicling America with limiters such as Veranda+ship, Veranda+sailing, Veranda+Quebec, etc. I did not find an article about this incident.

The Quebec newspaper, Bergen, Lillesand, and hometown newspapers of the passengers would likely carry a story. One could examine the emigration record for Nils to find the origin of other passengers on that voyage. Parsing the internet or specific databases with their names might yield an online diary or journal account. In the American lags, including Valdres Bygdelag, are newsletters dating to early 1900s only, but they carried many memoir stories and one might conceivably find an account in one of those. More and more old newspapers are being digitized. I am usually not surprised when an old piece of news does not appear on the modern-day internet. What amazes me is how much historical news CAN be found.
http://www.valdressamband.org/

At least you have already found a written record already of the incident, in Martin Ulvestad's book.

Edited by - JaneC on 16/06/2013 19:27:38
Go to Top of Page

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  21:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåarto:In fact Trøo u Myhre (currently referred to as Trøadn and still owned by the Myhre family) directly abuts the Kongeveien. I was there in late May and imagined Nils Nilsen watching the procession of fellow countrymen heading off seeking better fortune in Amerika.

JaneC: The reference to the ship's incident is on page 77 (Worth County) of the link you supplied. I have just received some documents from the NAHA archives which might have additional detail but it's a struggle to read them. I'll let you know if I find anything new.

davidnt
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  23:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really.
I can imagine him watching and talking to the em. passing the farm on spring for ca 10 years or more.

Sorry that no info on ship Varanda was found.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  00:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just looked again at genealogybank.com and found a snippet which was originally published in the Commercial Advertiser at New York on Wed 23 June 1858:

"ebec 18th a 19th inst. Veranda, Florence, Bergen..."

It's just a list of ship arrivals at various ports, name of vessel, name of captain and port of origin. If you want to whole article you'd have to subscribe or have other sort of access to the paper via microfilm, ILL or in person.
Go to Top of Page

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  01:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the input - what an interesting day. I finally located the parish record for my gggrandmother Liv Bårdsdr Ovre Kvamme showing her family emigrated from Lærdal to Gol in 1849 (Source information: Buskerud county, Gol, Parish register (official) nr. I 2 (1837-1863), Emigration records 1850-1851, Imigration records 1850-1856, page 670-671.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20061115040513.jpg) and from Gol to Amerika in 1857 (Source information: Buskerud county, Gol, Parish register (official) nr. I 2 (1837-1863), Emigration records 1857, page 682-683.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20061115040519.jpg). It's not clear to me from the parish records where they lived when in Gol or why they went there. I cannot find a Trøo farm in Gol on the Oluf Rygh: Norwegian Farm Names database.
Thanks to everyone for their input, I very much appreciate it.

davidnt
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  02:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a Trøo farm in Hol with several generations of Nils as owner/ operators, some of whom moved to Nore & Uvdal.

I will check under the farms either Huse or Køso and see if there is anything on Liv Baardsdtr there.

Edited by - jkmarler on 17/06/2013 04:57:09
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  13:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trøo is a farm in Hol, see Trøo 1910

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  14:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The school on Øvre Kvamme in Lærdal build 1872, photo from 1958

Øvre Kvamme is located to Borgund congregation and Borgund Stave Church where Liv was bapt. March 14. 1830 to Baar Hansen Øvre Kvamme and Ingeri HalvorsDatter.
She was born Feb. 13. om ØvreQvamme and bapt. at home by Hans ØvreQvamme Feb. 14, #35

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 17/06/2013 15:05:53
Go to Top of Page

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  15:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't find a Trøo farm in Hol on kart.finn.no, where is it? It's not where my ancestors came from but I'm curious.

Thanks for the links. I visited Øvre Kvamme farm and the Borgund chuch in May. At the time I didn't realize the my gggmother's family also relocated to Hovland farm between 1843 and 1846 before moving to Gol parish in 1849. I'd love to know why they moved and espeically since their notice of emigration from Borgund parish is 14 Dec 1849 and immigration into Gol is 7 Jan 1850; the middle of winter with the shortest days of the year. If they followed the current highway 52 it's 90 km (56 miles).

davidnt
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article