All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Betsy Johnson of Bergen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  02:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered if the name Runyan that appears in a few places with Betsy might be a farm name. However I could not find a name close to that for someone with the name like Bri* Joh*. The closest I came was Brita Johansdatter born in 1850 on the farm Rykken.

This is her and family in the 1865 Census. I am having some difficulty finding her in the baptism records on Digitalarkivet.

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01038236002595

So I think that this is her baptism record number 15. However it appears as if the birth date is March 24, 1850 and not February.

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20070222610033

Edited by - AntonH on 11/11/2016 02:54:37
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  05:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of some interest, looks like she as a 19 1/2 year old and her brother Sjur moved out in 1869 #24 & #26 to another parish (Brem...)in Norway:

SAB, Kvam Sokneprestembete, H/Haa: Parish register (official) no. A 9, 1864-1879, p. 372
Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20061229670097

#1 indflytted 1870:
SAB, Bremanger Sokneprestembete, H/Haa: Parish register (official) no. A 1, 1864-1883, p. 222
Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20050811031027

Married there #13 1869:
SAB, Bremanger Sokneprestembete, H/Haa: Parish register (official) no. A 1, 1864-1883, p. 151
Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20050811030976

Still there in 1900:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01037361000186

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/11/2016 06:32:05
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  02:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is too bad. The farms found in the list from Oluf Rygh are of two forms either some version that starts with Rund or those that start with Runn. None that resemble Runyan.

In the 1865 Census there is only one person with the name Joh* Run* that was born early enough to be the father of a Brita. However he was born in Sweden and seems to be unmarried. Named Johan Rundell.

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0903&kenr=0106&bnr=0107&lnr=000

A few in 1865 with a first name starting with Run but none that merit further interest.

According to Ancestry.com the name Runyan is most often connected to either families from Sweden or Ireland. However most of the Runyans in the list of Family Trees have been in the United States a very long time.

In the 1870 US Census there are no Runyans in Worth County Iowa but there are ten in Boone County, all of them born in the U.S.

Edited by - AntonH on 12/11/2016 02:46:01
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  05:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odd about "Runyan."

Here's some follow up on a candidate who was mentioned.
1865 census
link

Jackie's index on page 13 lists her as
Norwegian candidate, Berethe Johnsdatter b 28 Feb 1848 pg 10

Betsy was said to have one brother only, so this large family doesn't look like hers.

Edited by - JaneC on 12/11/2016 06:37:04
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  10:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Runyan might be a sound alike as Ronion would be a sound alike to Runyan. There are lots of places in Norway that have end as nøen which has the ny sound as in Runyan or nio sound in onion and so I have looked at many like that.

And perhaps Betsy isn't a diminutive of some B-starting first name nor Elizabeth rooted name, perhaps it's an off-the-wall nickname for some completely different first name.

One other strange thing that happens when people are asked to provide information for a loved one's death certificate is that they get confused, it is after all a stressful situation when someone dies, and give their own information instead. We don't really know who was the informant for Oscar Anderson's d.c. but it may have been his wife or one of his kids, perhaps we need to know a bit about his wife to eliminate this possibility. Eliminated.

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/11/2016 13:28:20
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  12:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Oscar Anderson's marriage record from Palo Alto county, Iowa:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XJ8Q-JN1

Clara's maiden name is Lanus and her mother's maiden name is Schueler. And his mother Betsy is listed as Betsy Johnson. So no Runyans mixed in here.

Here he is in WWI draft reg cards address given as Ellendale PO, Osceola Township, Brown county, S.D.:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K68W-BKV

Here is Oscar in FAG index:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVL4-DV3D

Not this guy.

Oscar's obituary was published in the Aberdeen S.D. Aberdeen Daily News on Tues 27 Oct 1964 pg 2, col 1:

"Ellendale, N.D.-- Services for Oscar F. Anderson, 82, Ellendale, N.D. will be Wednesday at 2 p.m. in Christ the King Lutheran Church in Ellendale. Mr. Anderson died Monday.

The Rev. Harold Vold will officiate. Burial will be in the Ellendale Cemetery.

Mr. Anderson was born Jan. 10, 1882, in Pilot Mound, Iowa. He was married to Clara Lanus at Emmettsburg, Iowa, Oct. 27, 1903. The couple lived in Brown County from 1905 until about one year ago, when they moved to Ellendale. He was a retired farmer.

Survivors include his widow; three sons, Howard and Vern both of Ellendale; and Arnold. Minneapolis; two daughters Mrs. Clarence (Lucille) Smith and Mrs. L.W. (Myrtle) Woodward, both of Ellendale; two brothers, Gust, Ringsted, Iowa; and Alex, Lewiston, Idaho; one sister Mrs. Anna Bay, Donithon sic, Mo.; and seven grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

The Holte Funeral Home in Ellendale is in charge of arrangements."

Holte Funeral home may still have records for this funeral and perhaps an iteration of Betsy Johnson information:

HOLTE FUNERAL HOME
    221 2nd Ave Sw
    ELLENDALE ND 58436
    Phone: (701) 349-3266

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/11/2016 13:27:08
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  12:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The brother Elmer died in Spokane, Washington. Here is the transcription of his death record from the Washington State Secretary of State's office:
http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/Record/View/71BA8C04FC4F0528276E2A337DC60BD3

His mother's name is rendered as Betsy Johnson.

Elmer's at FAG:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=anderson&GSfn=elmer&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=50&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=19069956&df=all&

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/11/2016 15:27:02
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  14:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice try at finding alternate versions of Betsy's name. About "odd about Runyan," that comment related to the extent of the search and the creative thinking that had been applied that still didn't find the place. I thought the girl at Ertzgaard was interesting, since the day-month of birth is correct. The year of birth seems to be misremembered or misinterpreted more often than the birthday. And in later years the same place seems to have "Bjørnøen" attached to it; like you I thought that seemed a plausible last syllable.

Edited by - JaneC on 12/11/2016 14:56:40
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  15:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be Beret in the 1875 Norway census:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01052359009151

Running on empty here, unless something else comes in which gives a fresher perspective.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  17:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a family carrying the name "Ringheim" in Boone county, with a 16 year old Betsy who was born in Iowa in the 1870 census. Ringheim is a farm name found in Voss, Hordaland. Norway.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MDKQ-JZV

B. Ringheim
F 38Norway

Betsey Ringheim
F16 Iowa

Hannah Ringheim
F12 Iowa

Margeret Ringheim
F 9 Iowa

Andrew Ringheim
M 6 Iowa

I don't find any Ringheim marriages in the Boone county base at usgenweb.com but there are Hannah Johnson and Margaret Johnson marriages there.

Betsy's obit or story included the information that she worked in Worth county. Interestingly there is also a Worth Township in Boone county:
http://iagenweb.org/boone/townships/maps.html

Betsy Ringheim is off the table, she is living in Story County in 1880, single, with her uncle and his family and at least two of her siblings.

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/11/2016 17:38:00
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  23:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the marriage record, likely her, she has the middle initial of B.

Betsey B. Johnson
in the Iowa, Select Marriages Index, 1758-1996
Name: Betsey B. Johnson
Marriage Date: 30 May 1874
Marriage Place: Boone, Iowa
Spouse: Alexander Anderson
FHL Film Number: 1034318
Reference ID: 2:1V11GCQ

Granted in another data base the middle initial is R

Name: Alexander Anderson
Spouse: Betsy R Johnson
County: Boone
State: Iowa

Edited by - AntonH on 12/11/2016 23:10:28
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  23:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

In the marriage record, likely her, she has the middle initial of B.

Betsey B. Johnson
in the Iowa, Select Marriages Index, 1758-1996
Name: Betsey B. Johnson
Marriage Place: Boone, Iowa
Spouse: Alexander Anderson
Reference ID: 2:1V11GCQ

Granted in another data base the middle initial is R

Name: Alexander Anderson
Spouse: Betsy R Johnson
County: Boone
State: Iowa

Nancy if you are near a Family History Center you can order the marriage record on microfilm yourself:

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2016 :  00:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what do we know about Alexander Anderson. Betsy Johnson lived in Worth County in 1870 but was married in Boone County in 1874. The two counties are half a state away from one another. Do we have a census record for Alexander in 1870?

In the 1870 Census for Boone County There is a Alexander Segrain that fits him. Someone has provided an alternate name of Alexander Anderson for him. He is living with the family of John Nostrum. Alternate name of John Nordstrom.

I notice in the 1880 Census for Alex and Betsy now living in Boone county that there neighbors are Norstrom alternate name Nordstrom and Sjogren. Sjogren seems to be an alternate version of Segrain.

It is probably well know to Nancy from the various trees on Ancestry. but the parents of Alexander Anderson are Anders Anderson died in Sweden and Maria Charlotte Ericsdatter Sjogren died in Boone County. Thus the connecton with many of the people in the 1870 and 1880 censuses of Boone County.

Before I post all those long census record I would like to know if we have already chased down all the neighbors of Alex and Betsy in Boone county in 1880 to find perhaps her parents or siblings or at least a relative. I know that Jackie did surface the family of Generis Johnson in 1870 US Census. Which is the only Johnson born in Norway found in 1870 in Boone County.

Edited by - AntonH on 13/11/2016 03:21:51
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2016 :  02:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg
Having only one sibling reduces the best possibilities down to 2, both in Hordaland:
Britha Johnsdatter (17) Voss. Brother: John Johnssøn (21) Born: 27 Sep 1849
Guro "Britha" Johnsdatter (15) Os. Brother: Ole Johnsen (10) Born: 11 Feb 1851

jwiborg, is there a simple explanation for how to do a search such as this where you find those who have two children? I'd love to get better at doing these searches so I don't have to trouble others. Thanks!

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2016 :  06:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

So what do we know about Alexander Anderson. Betsy Johnson lived in Worth County in 1870 but was married in Boone County in 1874. The two counties are half a state away from one another. Do we have a census record for Alexander in 1870?

In the 1870 Census for Boone County There is a Alexander Segrain that fits him. Someone has provided an alternate name of Alexander Anderson for him. He is living with the family of John Nostrum. Alternate name of John Nordstrom.

I notice in the 1880 Census for Alex and Betsy now living in Boone county that there neighbors are Norstrom alternate name Nordstrom and Sjogren. Sjogren seems to be an alternate version of Segrain.

It is probably well know to Nancy from the various trees on Ancestry. but the parents of Alexander Anderson are Anders Anderson died in Sweden and Maria Charlotte Ericsdatter Sjogren died in Boone County. Thus the connecton with many of the people in the 1870 and 1880 censuses of Boone County.

Before I post all those long census record I would like to know if we have already chased down all the neighbors of Alex and Betsy in Boone county in 1880 to find perhaps her parents or siblings or at least a relative. I know that Jackie did surface the family of Generis Johnson in 1870 US Census. Which is the only Johnson born in Norway found in 1870 in Boone County.

That is Betsy's Alexander on the 1870 census in Boone County. His father died in Sweden, and widow Maria Sjögren emigrated along with the children. After the 1870 census, most of the sons are listed with the Anderson surname. One of the daughters married a man named Månsson (in Sweden) who took the surname of Nordstrom in America. The Johnsons who were neighbors in Boone County are from Sweden according to the census record. I will have to refresh my memory about Generis Johnson. But that is a valid point about Betsy living so far away prior to her marriage. Something or someone drew her from Worth County to Boone County.

I have studied these census records extensively in the past, but I think it's worth taking another look at them.Out of the blue I discovered yesterday that someone--I have no idea who--added a sibling named Lewis for Betsy to a tree at FamilySearch.org. There is no documentation, but it fits the family story of her having one brother, so it definitely got my attention. As I look at census records, I'll definitely be alert to any Johnson with a first name similar to Lewis.

NancyB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article