All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Betsy Johnson of Bergen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  17:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Names often changed in the US.
Worth a try.

Another Elisabeth born Feb. 28. 1850.
Kirstine Elisabeth born on farm Bjørbækmo in Nord-Rana (Northern Norway).
Parents; Farmers Elias Johannesen and Rebekka Christensdatter, last baptism #33

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 03/09/2013 17:54:49
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  17:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Below, a RootsWeb World Connect family tree with parents of Kirstine Elisabeth born 28 Feb 1850 on farm Bjørbækmo in Nord-Rana: "Elias Johannesen born in 1820 in Jordbrua Rana, Nordland, Norway" and wife "Rebekka Kristensdatter born b: 1827 in Råna, Nordland, Norway." Most often a RootsWeb tree is created by an American, suggesting one or more people in the extended family emigrated.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=kristinrichey&id=I03465

Edited by - JaneC on 20/11/2016 12:51:29
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  18:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How very interesting since this Anne marries Ole Andosen Vohlen....
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  18:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

How very interesting since this Anne marries Ole Andosen Vohlen....

That is a possibilty.
One has to keep all options open.
Not unusual that some of the earliest em. dep. via Sweden.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  18:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Anne Lisabeth Jensdatter, født Aspaas born 1850
married Ole Andosen, Vohlen
father Jens Rasmussen, Aspaas
mother Anne Elisabeth Mikkelsdtr., Bakken
LINK:
http://www.myheritage.no/person-1500431_204655921_204655921/ane-lisabeth-jensdtr-vohlen-fodt-aspaas

Ole Andosen Vohlen - Ole Andersen Vohlen, Volen in Aremark
Aremark is fare from Røros ?

Ivar Andersen age 30 (a brother?) owned Volen 1865.

Where did they marry? Sweden?USA?

Edited by - Kåarto on 03/09/2013 19:12:33
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  20:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne E Jensdatter, Aspaas and Ole Andorsen had a boy Anton Ludvig April 6 1878, #65.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  22:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quite. But where is Mama?

Here is the transcription of a possible family in 1880 from the Norwegians in Iowa database at Digitalrkivet. The only Betsy in Boone county in 1880:
Ole Anderson m 40 f Swe Swe Swe 44 Pilot Mound Boone Iowa
4048 Betsey Anderson f 28 N N N 44 Pilot Mound Boone Iowa
4049 John Anderson m 5 Ia SWe N 44 Pilot Mound Boone Iowa
4050 Andrew Anderson m 3 Ia SWe N 44 Pilot Mound Boone Iowa
4051 Emma Anderson f 2 Ia SWe N 44 Pilot Mound Boone Iowa
4052 Christine Anderson f 2/12 Mar Ia SWe N 44 Pilot Mound Boone Iowa

As transcribed on Ancestry.com:

Pilot Mound, Boone, Iowa
Alex Anderson 40 Sweden
Betsey Anderson 28 Norway
John Anderson 5
Andrew Anderson 3
Emma Anderson 2
Christine Anderson 2m [= Ida Christine Anderson, her name per birth record of daughter Beda Pauline]

1885 Iowa State Census
Pilot Mound, Boone, Iowa
Alex Anderson 45 b at 1840 Sweden
Betsy Anderson 33 b abt 1852 Sweden
John A Anderson 9
Gust Anderson 8
Anna Anderson 7
Ida Anderson 4
Oscar Anderson 2
Emma Anderson 1

Edited by - JaneC on 04/09/2013 00:55:40
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  22:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd try to ferret out more clues in the USA.

ALEXANDER ANDERSEN died 1887
buried Linn Cemetery, Pilot Mound, Boone County, Iowa, USA

BETSY JOHNSON ANDERSON died 1934 (as was previously mentioned) and is buried in Laurens Cemetery, Laurens, Pocahontas, Iowa. So her death record could be ordered...the original might tell her parents' names.

Betsey was found with Oscar in 1930...haven't found her 1900, which should tell her month of birth, or in 1920.

1910 and 1920 Oscar F Anderson is in Osceola, Brown, South Dakota with wife Clara F. and children Howard L, Lucile, Myrtle, Vern, and Arnold

Edited by - JaneC on 04/09/2013 02:42:29
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  01:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a candidate for Betsy Anderson in the 1920 US Census. A longshot but the only one who fits the information presented that in 1920 she lived in Great Falls, Montana. She could not have been born in 1875 and immigrated in 1867?

1920 United States Federal Census
Name: Bessie Anderson
[Burie Anderson]
[45]
Birth Year: abt 1855
[abt 1875]
Birthplace: Sweden
Home in 1920: Great Falls Ward 3, Cascade, Montana
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1867
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Marital Status: Widowed
[Widow]
Father's Birthplace: Sweden
Mother's Birthplace: Sweden
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors:
Household Members:
Name Age
Augustus H Schink 35
Violet B Schink 25
Evalin Schink 6
Duglus F Schink 2
[2 9/12]
Bessie Anderson 65
[45]

Edited by - AntonH on 04/09/2013 02:02:34
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  02:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Betsey was found with Oscar in 1930...haven't found her 1900, which should tell her month of birth, or in 1920.

1910 and 1920 Oscar F Anderson is in Osceola, Brown, South Dakota with wife Clara F, Howard L, Howard L, Lucile, Myrtle, Vern, and Arnold

South Dakota did mid cycle state censuses from 1905 to 1945. Perhaps she arrived in SD in time for the 1925?
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  02:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
South Dakota did mid cycle state censuses from 1905 to 1945. Perhaps she arrived in SD in time for the 1925?

Good point.

That Bessie in Great Falls who is a lodger would be more appealing if one of her children (or another family member) was living nearby. Betsy lived with one of her children in 1910 and in 1930 so one supposes the same would be true in 1920. Also, didn't Nancy sound uncertain whether Betsey actually lived in Great Falls or whether she was visiting there? but yes, that record could be her.

Edited by - JaneC on 04/09/2013 02:39:48
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  05:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am overwhelmed at all of the information people have found. I took Jane's suggestion and spent some time today trying to piece together as much as I know about Betsy. For the record, I am not aware of any of her relatives. I am going to post a transcription of the full obituary and information from her death certificate, and a few other details. About Great Falls. . .Betsy's daughter Anna's first marriage was to Charles Miller. He worked for US Gypsum and was transferred a lot. His family moved to Great Falls in 1909 according to a Letter of Dismission from the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Bethlehem Church. From there they went to Alabaster, Iosco, Michigan, in 1912. It appears that Betsy had joined them in Great Falls and stayed behind for a number of years. I have a copy of a postcard sent to Betsy in Great Falls on 2 Dec 1912 by her granddaughter Hazel Miller. (Hazel died just one week later.) Hazel is asking Betsy if she is going to stay at ??nes' all winter. I also have a copy of a letter Betsy sent to her daughter Anna 23 July 1920. Both the postcard and the letter use an address of 809 5th Ave S, Great Falls. In the letter, Betsy writes, "The family I am with now, there are only 3 in it. The man, wife and a two year old child." I seem to recall in the past locating that address on the census, and there was no mention of Betsy. (Unfortunately, I do not recall what I did find, and tonight I'm not finding anything.)

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  05:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Transcription of 1934 Obituary [I have a copy of the obituary. My notations are in brackets]

Mrs. C.F. Anderson's Mother Dies Friday

Mrs. Betsy Anderson died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C.F. [Ida Christina] Anderson in Laurens last Friday. She had not been seriously ill but a few days. She was nearly 85 years old. The funeral was held Tuesday at the Swedish Lutheran Church, the services were in charge of the pastor, Rev. Emil R. Carlson. Burial was in the Laurens cemetery.

Mrs. Betsy Ann Anderson (nee Johnson), was born on February 28th, 1850, in Bergin [sic], Norway and was baptized and confirmed in Norway. She came to this country at the age of 18, making her home in Northwood, Iowa. She was united in marriage to Alexander Anderson on May 30th, 1874. Eight children were born to this union: John, Gustave, Anna, Ida, Oscar, Emma, Claus [Elmer] and Alfred [Alex]. The family made their home in Pilot Mound, Iowa. They affiliated with the Lutheran Church at Boone and later the church at Boxholm, Iowa. In January, 1887, Mr. Anderson died, leaving the entire responsibility and care of the family with Mrs. Anderson. One daughter, Emma Olivia, passed from this life at the age of 14. The last years of Mrs. Anderson’s life were spent with the children; the last year with her daughter here in Laurens. Her death came last Friday evening, December 14th. She was 84 years, 9 months and 14 days. God had heard her prayer which she offered that she might go home.

She is mourned by her children: John A. Anderson of Canada; Gustave A. Anderson of Ringsted, Iowa; Mrs. N.P. Day [should be M.P. Day*] of Doniphan, Missouri; Mrs. Carl Anderson of Laurens; Oscar Anderson of Ellendale, North Dakota; Elmer Anderson of Tekoa, Washington; and A. Alfred Anderson of Virginia, Minnesota; 29 grandchildren; 15 great-grandchildren; other relatives and many, many friends.

Sympathy is extended to the bereaved children and relatives in the great loss they have sustained. Peace be over her memory.

The following out of town relatives and friends were here for the funeral: Elmer Anderson, Tekoa, Washington, Oscar Anderson and son Vern of Ellendale, North Dakota, Gust Anderson and son Lawrence of Ringsted, Iowa; Mrs. M.P. Day [Anna], Doniphan, Missouri; Vernon Anderson, Estherville, Iowa; Mr. and Mrs. Fred Seagren, and August Seagren of Curlew, Iowa; Mrs. and Mrs. G.L. Johnson, Ringsted, Iowa; Joe Lanus, Havelock and Mrs. Art Lanus and son LeRoy, Rolfe.

*This was a second marriage for Anna. Her first husband was Charles Miller.

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  05:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Transcription of Death Certificate from State of Iowa
This may be the only "official" place I've seen the middle name of Bell.

Place of Death
County: Pocahontas County; State: Iowa
Township: Swan Lake; City: Laurens
Length of residence in city where death occurred: blank

Full Name
Betsy Bell Anderson

Date of Death: 12-14, 1934

Personal and Statistical Information
Sex: female
Color or Race: white
Marital status: widow
Husband of Alexander Anderson
Date of Birth: February 28 (typed) 1850 (handwritten)
Housewife
Birthplace: Bergen Norway
Father: (?) Johnson; Birthplace: Norway
Mother’s maiden name: Don’t know; Birthplace: Norway
Informant: Mrs. Chas. Anderson, Laurens, Ia.
Burial: Laurens, Ia. 12-18, 1934

A contributory cause of death was old age. Handwritten to the right of that (actually in the column called Date of Onset) is 94a encircled.

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  05:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Census and Misc. Records for Betsy Anderson

1870 US Census - Northwood, Worth, Iowa
Betsy Johnson, age 19, F, W, Housekeeper, born in Norway
Living with Simon P. Boyd family

**30 May 1874, Marriage of Alexander Anderson and Betsy R. Johnson, Boone County, Iowa--information is from a transcription on Ancestry.com**

1880 US Census – Pilot Mound, Boone, Iowa
Alex Anderson, age 40; he and his parents born in Sweden
Betsey, 28; she and her parents born in Norway
John, 5
Andrew [Gustave Andrew], 3
Emma [s/b Anna Mathilda], 2
Christine [Ida Christina] 2/12
Notes: Child listed as Emma should be Anna. They later had a child named Emma (coincidentally), but she was not born until 1883.Neighbors 2 houses away: J.M. and Sophia Johnson—born in Sweden.

1885 – Iowa Census – Pilot Mound, Boone, Iowa
Alex Anderson, age 45
Betsy, age 33
John A, age 9
Gust, age 8
Anna, age 7
Ida, age 4
Oscar, age 2
Emma, age 1
Note: Neighbors are Isaac and Augusta Johnson--born in Sweden.

**Alexander died 23 Jan 1887**

1900 US Census – Have not located Betsy
Son Gust is in Vista, IA
Daughter Anna Miller in Webster, IA
Daughter Ida is a servant in Hakes family in Swan Lake, Pocahontas, IA
Have not located John (possibly already in Canada), Oscar, Elmer and Alex Alfred.

1910 – US Census – Marshall, Pocahontas, Iowa
Betsy (60) is living with her daughter Ida (39) and her husband Charley Anderson (38) and their children Clarence W (5) and Beda P (3). Betsy is the mother of 8 children with 7 living. [Emma had died.] She has her “own income.”
Note: There are two Johnson families on the same page, but both list their birthplace (and their parents) as Sweden.

Between 1910 and 1912 Betsy moved to Great Falls, Montana, probably to be near her daughter Anna and her family (husband Charles O. Miller). The Millers moved to Alabaster, Michigan, in May 1912 (date of Letter of Dismission from church). In July of 1912 granddaughter Hazel sends postcard to Betsy in Great Falls (809 5th Ave S). In July 1920 Betsy sends a letter to her daughter Anna (now living in Lutesville, MO) from the same address in Great Falls. In the letter Betsy mentions "the family I am with now, there are only 3 in it. the man, wife and a two year old child." She also mentions that son Alex is at Bergen, ND, and son Elmer is in Washington. The letter is signed, Your Mother, Betsy Anderson with the Great Falls address.

1920 US Census
Have not located Betsy. She should be in Great Falls, Montana.

1930 – US Census Ordway, Brown, South Dakota
Betsy (80) is living with her son Oscar and his wife Clara and their children.

**14 Dec 1934 - Betsy Anderson died in Laurens, Iowa**

I also have the original "Dop-Attest" for daughter Anna Mathilda. The father is listed as Alek. Andersons and the mother as Bettys. Date of baptism (?): 22 May 1878

At this time I think that is all I know.

Thanks so much to all of those who have taken an interest in helping me. I still have much to digest, but wanted to get this information online ASAP. No, I just remembered one more thing. I have a stack of telegrams that were sent when Hazel died in 1912. I will post any that may be of importance in a separate post.

NancyB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article