All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Betsy Johnson of Bergen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2013 :  00:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Perhaps you've posted this already and I'm not remembering it, but when did daughter Anna Mathilda die? If she died before 1963 in Missouri the actual death certificates from that state are published online for free and the modern format asks questions about the parents' names and birthplaces.

Did the son living in North Dakota in 1934 also eventually die there? The modern d.c. in North Dakota also ask for parents' names and birthplaces. They are cheap too ($5/each) and there is an online searchable index.

Anna Mathilda died in 1970, but I have an official copy of her death certificate. It merely lists Alex Anderson and Betsy Anderson as her parents.

Betsy's son Oscar did indeed die in North Dakota (in 1964). I have located him on the death index and am ordering a copy of his death certificate.

Thank you for these suggestions!

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2013 :  16:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have asked my Boone County, Iowa, contact to also look for the death record of Emma Olivia, Alex and Betsy's daughter who died at age 14 around 1897. I'm thinking Betsy herself would most likely have been the informant. Alex died in 1887. His death record (not a death certificate) does not contain anything about his parents, but perhaps by 1897 they were capturing more information. That's what I'm hoping!

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2013 :  22:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps this is Emma Olivia:

Name: Emma Levia Anderson
Burial Date:
Burial Place: Boone, Ia.
Death Date: 27 Apr 1897
Death Place: Boone, Boone County, Iowa
Birth Date: 1884
Birthplace: Am.
Race: White
Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B86643-4
System Origin: Iowa-EASy
GS Film number: 1034317
Reference ID: P. 7
from FAMILY SEARCH database online

Edited by - JaneC on 18/09/2013 22:33:21
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2013 :  21:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Perhaps this is Emma Olivia:

Name: Emma Levia Anderson
Burial Date:
Burial Place: Boone, Ia.
Death Date: 27 Apr 1897
Death Place: Boone, Boone County, Iowa
Birth Date: 1884
Birthplace: Am.
Race: White
Marital Status: Single
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B86643-4
System Origin: Iowa-EASy
GS Film number: 1034317
Reference ID: P. 7
from FAMILY SEARCH database online

Wow, JaneC! That has to be her. Do you think this means the Father's/Mother's names and birthplaces are not on the original document?

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2013 :  21:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I think it is her! About the transcription - it may very well be a condensation of the available information. The microfilm can presumably be ordered - go to Family Search site to read more. Also Boone County ought to be able to send you a photocopy of the original.

That said, this is a relatively early death record and it's possible there is little additional information in it. I agree with you and jkmarler that taking a look at the original is worth a shot.

Edited by - JaneC on 20/09/2013 14:49:19
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  05:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Since no one has found Betsy in the 1900 US census (with its valuable data cargo...) I wonder if she had moved to Canada with son John and then back to US before 1901 presumably when the next Canadian census was taken-thus missing both.

This idea intrigued me! I also thought it might lead to more information about John who seems to have vanished. I thought surely I would at least be able to find him, but I could not.

I have not forgotten about the land/estate questions either. Just thinking I would get that marriage record information first. That should be coming any day now.

Meanwhile, thank you for these great ideas! I'm feeling optimistic.

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2013 :  03:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NancyB

quote:

I'm not sure I've seen this posted. Here is a link to the transcription of the 1895 Iowa State census. Her name as Bessie A, age 43 and birthplace Sweden:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VTSN-P6X

Name: Bessie A Andersen
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1895
Event Place: Boone, Iowa, United States
Birth Year (Estimated): 1852
Family Number: 69
Line Number: 17
Page: 369
GS Film number: 1020332
Digital Folder Number: 004234902
Image Number: 00342
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Bessie A Andersen F 43
John A Andersen M 19
Andrew G Andersen M 18
Annie M Andersen F 16
Ida C Andersen F 14
Frank O Andersen M 13
Emm O Andersen F 11
Clarence E Andersen M 9
Alexander A Andersen M 7

This is a new find, missed because of spelling the last name with an 'e.' Thank you! It's certainly interesting that it says born in Sweden. Census error? I also notice her neighbor is J.M. Johnson, age 73--certainly old enough to be her father.

Today I have researched the Johnsons who are listed on the same census page (Frank A, J.M. and Isaac). I have ruled them all out as being from Norway based on other census records. ~ Still no word from Boone County. I've sent new information as received, such as the death information of Emma. Trying to be patient!

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  17:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still waiting for information from Boone County. <sigh> But I decided to pursue a new angle that looks very promising.

The obituary of Betsy (Johnson) Anderson lists out of town relatives and friends at her funeral including Mr. and Mrs. G. L. Johnson. I have determined that this is George Leonard Johnson, son of John B. Johnson and Martha/Mary A. Wenos (both born in Norway). On the 1935 Iowa census in Emmet County, Iowa, George and wife Gertrude are neighbors of Gust and Emma Anderson. Gust is a son of Alex and Betsy Anderson. They must be related!

I'm thinking this will surely lead to the right Johnson family in Norway. Here is what I've gathered about George's father:

JOHN B JOHNSON
Find A Grave (#42495002) shows John B Johnson born in 1850, died in 1928
Find A Grave (#42494991) shows wife Martha A born in 1855, died in 1924

1900 Census – Rush Lake, Palo Alto, Iowa
John Johnson (49) with Martha (45), Gideon (14), Jonas (11), Daniel (9), Edward (5), George (3), Paul (1). John, Martha, Gideon and Jonas born in Norway. Other children born in Iowa. Married 18 years (Abt. 1882)
Immigration year: 1889 for John, Martha, Gideon, Jonas; here 11 years; he is naturalized. [Note: Immigration was between births of Jonas and Daniel, so 1889 fits.] She is mother of 8, 7 living. [Note: 6 children listed here.]

1905 Iowa Census – Palo Alto, Iowa
John B Johnson (55), born in Norway. Parents born in Norway.

1910 Census – Rush Lake, Palo Alto, Iowa
John B Johnson (59), Mary (53), Dan (19), Edd M (15), George L (13), Paul S (11). John and Mary both born in Norway. Married 29 years. She is the mother of 8, 7 living. Year of immigration: 1890; he is naturalized.
Place of birth of both shows as Nor. Norwiegen.

1915 Iowa Census – Palo Alto
John B Johnson (64); married; born in Norway. Parents born in Norway. Lutheran

1920 Census – Curley, Palo Alto, IA
John B Johnson (69), Martha (65), Jonas M (33), Paul S (20), Vivian E (9, granddaughter). Immigration year for John, Martha and Jonas: 1886; Naturalization for John B: 1893

1925 Iowa Census – Rush Lake, Palo Alto, IA
John B Johnson (74), widow, b. Norway; Father: Joe Johnson; Mother: blank.
Jonas M (36), widow, b. Norway; Father: John B Johnson; Mother: Martha Wenos (parents born in Norway)
Paul S (23), single, b. Iowa Parents same as above

Note that the 1910 census shows the place of birth as Nor. Norwiegen. Would this mean North Norway? Is that a helpful clue?

John shows the same year of birth as Betsy, but he immigrated 20+ years later. Still, the fact that his son George was neighbors with Betsy's son Gust leads me to think they are related. Could John and Betsy be siblings?

We also learn from the 1925 Iowa census that John's father is Joe Johnson. (Doesn't sound very Norwegian to me, but that's what is listed.)

I have learned to navigate the Swedish archives fairly well, but I'm not so good with the Norwegian archives. What's the best starting point?

Thank you!

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  18:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wenos is likely a farm name. Each farm in Norway is named and farm names can be good clues to a location, provided the name is unusual enough.

There will likely be some spelling issues with the farm name also. W & V are sometimes interchangeable and w is used less frequently than v, so you'd have to check both spellings. Letters os could be rendered in Norwegian several ways--aas, as, es,us, etc. Wenos might turn out to be a part of a farm name.

I use the classic page rather than the new format or the Tromso search page.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar&spraak=e

There is a blue bar across the top with the transcribed census years as well as database selector, search in all databases, digitized parish registers, digiitized probate, digitized real estate.

Farm name search can be done in any of the census transcriptions and the classic page allows options to allow for some of the spelling variations mentioned. You may search for a farm that starts with wen or contains wen or is exactly spelled wenos. After this you will have to choose manually which spellings you want to include in the search by checking the box in front of each spelling you wish to view. After you check the ones you want to view, you click the blue box at the bottom of the column and then a report appears showing the fylke or county and a number of instances of that name farm in that place. If you click the number another list appears showing the parish name which has the farm and another number. Clicking on that number will bring up a clickable list of the farms which can be viewed to see all who live in each.

Gideon is a fairly uncommon first name in Norway. You could use the "search in all databases" finding all who have Gideon as part of their first name to see what shakes out.

Edited by - jkmarler on 22/10/2013 19:38:17
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  18:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This seems like a line of inquiry worth pursuing. I suppose you'll want the day-month-year of birth of the Norwegian born family members, so that if you found them in Norway you could make a solid id.

1900 Census -
John B Johnson born what month and year?
Martha Wenos born what month and year?
Other family members - born what month and year?

Martha listed as mother of 8, 7 living. 6 children are listed. The likeliest child to be missing is the oldest child, who would have been born in Norway. A possible candidate for the possible oldest is John William Johnson, below.

Below are some candidates to be sons in the family, registering for the World War I Draft in Palo Alto County, Iowa:
1) John William Johnson; born 9 Jan 1882; resides in Curlew, Palo Alto, Iowa; nearest relative John Johnson Sr of Curlew
1) Johan Oluf Johnsen b 02 April 1882 in Levanger, Nord-Trøndelag, Norway
2) Gideon - Gedon Renstrøm Johnsen; born 30 Aug 1884 in Levanger, Nord-Trøndelag, Norway [a candidate from Jackie rather than from the WWI list]
3) Josias Johnson; born 14 Sep 1888; residing in Curlew; occupation is Farmer, Mrs. L M Grise, Booth Twp
4) Ole Daniel Johnson; born 25 Feb 1891 in Palo Alto County, Iowa; resides in Fenton, Iowa; occupation farming, self
5) Eddie Mereanus Johnson; born 21 Nov 1894 in Curlew IA; residing in Curlew; occupation Farm Laborer, August Johnson, Curlew
6) George Leonard Johnson; born 23 Jan 1897 in Rush Lake Twp; resides in Curlew; nearest relative John B Johnson
7) Paul S Johnson; born 22 Feb 1899; resides in Curlew; occupation farming, self, in Curlew; nearest relative John B Johnson in Curlew
info from this link:
http://iagenweb.org/greatwar/draft/PaloAlto/surnameJ.htm

No place of birth is noted in the transcription on the above link for John William and for Josias. Also I don't see Gideon on this particular link. From Wikipedia: "Curlew is a city in Palo Alto County, Iowa, United States. The population was 58 at the 2010 census." I mention this because even though John Johnson is a common name, at the same time, Curlew is and was a very small place.

Note: back in an edit and added Eddie Mereanus Johnson from the WWI list and the candidate for Gideon found by Jackie and also Johan Olaf Johnsen b 1882

Edited by - JaneC on 23/10/2013 01:41:54
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  19:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an interesting possible for Gideon found at www.familysearch.org:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NWHK-JRS

Birth year not exactly right but month is and parents are John Bendik Johnson and Martha Olsdatter
Go to Top of Page

NancyB
Medium member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  19:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! I did miss those birth months and years on the 1900 census. Thanks for pointing that out, Jane. They are:

John Nov 1850
Martha Mar 1865 (but I think s/b 1855)
Gideon Aug 1886
Jonas Sep 1888
Daniel Feb 1891
Edward Nov 1894
George Jan 1897
Paul Feb 1898 (Draft record lists 22 Feb 1899)

It would be quite possible for Betsy to be born 28 Feb 1850 (as we've always been told), and a brother (John B) to be born in Nov. 1850. Or, they could be cousins. I feel like I'm so close I can taste it! :-)

We could add Eddie Mereanus Johnson to the list of sons on the draft registration. I believe I found a marriage record for him that includes that middle name. Not sure what happened to Gideon, but I think a good candidate is Gideon Johnson b. 1885 Norway in Staton Hill, Coulee, MT on the 1930 census. He was in Russell, Rolette, ND on the 1910 census.

What link would I start with to search for John B. Johnson in the Norwegian archives? Or would a less common name like Gideon be a better start? Is this the right starting place:

http://arkivverket.no/eng/content/view/full/629

If so, what link would I try from there?

I am so appreciative of the help I'm getting here!

NancyB
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  20:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Bendik Johnson and Martha Olsdatter = Johan Bendik Johnsen and Martha Olsdatter who baptized their son Gedon Renstrøm in 1884, #22.
Their son Jonas Miller was baptized in 1888, #19.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/10/2013 20:19:30
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  20:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johan Bendik Johnsen and Martha Olsdatter were married Dec 29 1881, #13.

Moved out of Levanger with 3 children 1889, #17 - 21.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/10/2013 20:47:54
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2013 :  20:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johan Bendik born Nov 17 1850, #1. Parents John Olsen and Randi Jacobsdatter.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article