All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 What happened to Øysten Nilsen Mhyre
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2013 :  17:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for any suggestions on locating additional information on Øystein Nielsen Myhre known in America with given names of Osten & Austin and surnames of Myre, Nelson, Nelsontro & Troe.

Here is what I have so far:

1) born 16 Mar 1848, Vang, father Niels Jørgenson mother Berthe Øysteinsdtr and baptized 14 May 1848 http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?urnread_imagesize=gigant&info=ingen&hode=nei&show=14&uid=127964&js=j #34
2) in the 1865 Norway census he is listed as “is often away”
3) emigrated to America 1867 on the ship Nordcap, Quebec 9 Jun 1867 as Østen Nielsen Myhre. I have not been able to determine where he went though his brother was living in Silver lake Twp, Worth County, IA.
4) nothing until 19 Apr 1877 notice in the Albert Lea County Standard that he has uncollected mail at the post office (Myre, Osten Nelson)
5) birth of his 1st child Nels on 19 May 1877 Pickerel Lake Twp, Freeborn County, MN (parents are recorded as Osten & Mary Nelsontro – his brother, and my gggrandfather Nils Nilsen Myhre adopted the Troe surname around 1875). I have no idea who Mary is though one Family Tree at Ancestry.com shows her as Mary Segrie and the 1880 census says she was born in Norway about 1851.
6) “Certificate of Entry” recorded 17 Dec 1879 Brookings Twp, Brookings County SD.
7) 1880 Federal Census Entry Austin M Troe, wife Mary Troe, sons Nels & Knut, Brookings SD
8) Homestead Patent 30 Mar 1881 Brookings Twp, Brookings County SD
9) Sale of land 21 Nov 1882 Brookings Twp, Brookings County SD
10) 1895 his brother Nils in Worth County IA has organized a relief fund for South Dakota
11) 1895 the children are living with various uncles in Worth County, IA. 2 are listed as receiving “Orphan Support” from the county.

That’s all I have been able to find despite inquiries to various people and organizations in Iowa, Minnesota & South Dakota. If anyone has any information or suggestions on where I might look for additional information I would be very grateful.

davidnt

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2013 :  21:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there - from your account it seems there are more children born after Nels and Knut, who are listed in 1880 in Brookings. Who is the youngest child - and where was he/she born?

Below is another son of Osten. Since Ben was born in Iowa about 1882, perhaps we could consider Iowa the last location possibility for Austin. A World War I draft card that seems to be this Ben actually gives birth year of 1887.

1925 Iowa Census
Barton, Worth, Iowa
Ben Troe 43 born about 1882 in Iowa, father Austin Troe, mother Mary Segrie, both born Norway
Lena Troe 37
Laurence B Troe 14
Arnold B Troe 12
Gladys Troe 9
Blanche Troe 6

Edited by - JaneC on 15/09/2013 13:55:58
Go to Top of Page

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  00:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have these two as youngest
Thomas O born 18 Apr 1883 SD
Martin Edward born 18 Mar 1883 SD

Since I doubt they were born 1 month apart either they are twins or one of the birth years is wrong.

Ben's birthplace is stated in various records as both Iowa or South Dakota. His brother Nels is sometimes listed as born in Iowa but there's a very solid record showing him born in Pickerel Twp, Freeborn County, MN.

The WWI registration is definitely Ben Troe but I don't know why his birth year is 1887 other than someone misreading or writing a 2 as a 7.

Nels went on to homestead in ND in 1904 but had some sort of event and went missing for several years. On my website I have a series of newspaper clippings about it, ending with "Man Thought Dead is Found Alive". After that he was a farm laborer in MN. I don't believe he ever married.

I don't know what happened to Knut, he is living with his uncle in Worth County in 1895 but I don't know what happened to him after that.

Ben married Caroline Knutson, had 4 children, and was a farmer in Iowa.

Thomas married Corrine Cooke in 1914, had 8 children, moved to Utah and then to Washington. His headstone has him as Thomas E Troe.

Martin married Ragnhild O Turtness in 1911, had 4 children, and was a farmer in Iowa.

I think that the references in records to any of them being born in Iowa is not because that is where they were born but that is where they ended up living with relatives after apparently being orphaned.

Thanks for the reference to the 1925 IA census; while I had looked at Ben's record I never thought of going to the next 2 pages to see additional information. Mothers name is very clearly Mary Segrie born in Norway. If that's true it should be easy to find her except I can find almost no records for a Norwegian Segrie or rational variants of it and those I do find don't come close to matching her time period. Since at least one of the children has Edward as a middle name I'm wondering if she was of English ancestry and not Norwegian.

davidnt
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  03:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davidnt

I I think that the references in records to any of them being born in Iowa is not because that is where they were born but that is where they ended up living with relatives after apparently being orphaned.

Might be true in later records but the 1880 census has Nels born Iowa and Knut born Dakota Territory....
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  08:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troe, Nelson G. 1906 Mpls directory:
http://box2.nmtvault.com/Hennepin2/jsp/RcWebImageViewer.jsp?doc_id=Minneapolis+City+Directories%2fmnmhcl00%2f20130429%2f00000014&collection_filter=false&query1=troe&query1_field=0&query2_modifier=0&query2=&query2_field=0&query3_modifier=0&query3=&query3_field=0

Troe, Thomas 1909 Mpls directory:
http://box2.nmtvault.com/Hennepin2/jsp/RcWebImageViewer.jsp?doc_id=Minneapolis+City+Directories%2fmnmhcl00%2f20130429%2f00000017&collection_filter=false&query1=troe&query1_field=0&query2_modifier=0&query2=&query2_field=0&query3_modifier=0&query3=&query3_field=0

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  10:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be of interest that Østen Nielsens parents, Niels Jørgensen, Thune (29) and Berthe Østensdatter, Graw (19) were married Nov 4 1834, #20
and that their children were:
Niels, b. Aug 27 1834,
Jørgen, b. Oct 24 1837,
Gjertrud, b. Nov 3 1839,
Østen, b. Dec 3 1842,
Jørgen, b. July 14 1845,
Østen, b. March 16 1848,
Tosten, b. July 13 1851,
Knud, b. April 9 1855,
Anne, b. July 19 1860

Einar
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  12:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have these two as youngest
Thomas O born 18 Apr 1883 SD
Martin Edward born 18 Mar 1883 SD

Since I doubt they were born 1 month apart either they are twins or one of the birth years is wrong.

Ben's birthplace is stated in various records as both Iowa or South Dakota. His brother Nels is sometimes listed as born in Iowa but there's a very solid record showing him born in Pickerel Twp, Freeborn County, MN.

The WWI registration is definitely Ben Troe but I don't know why his birth year is 1887 other than someone misreading or writing a 2 as a 7.

Nels went on to homestead in ND in 1904 but had some sort of event and went missing for several years. On my website I have a series of newspaper clippings about it, ending with "Man Thought Dead is Found Alive". After that he was a farm laborer in MN. I don't believe he ever married.

I don't know what happened to Knut, he is living with his uncle in Worth County in 1895 but I don't know what happened to him after that.

Ben married Caroline Knutson, had 4 children, and was a farmer in Iowa.

Thomas married Corrine Cooke in 1914, had 8 children, moved to Utah and then to Washington. His headstone has him as Thomas E Troe.

Martin married Ragnhild O Turtness in 1911, had 4 children, and was a farmer in Iowa.

I think that the references in records to any of them being born in Iowa is not because that is where they were born but that is where they ended up living with relatives after apparently being orphaned.

Thanks for the reference to the 1925 IA census; while I had looked at Ben's record I never thought of going to the next 2 pages to see additional information. Mothers name is very clearly Mary Segrie born in Norway. If that's true it should be easy to find her except I can find almost no records for a Norwegian Segrie or rational variants of it and those I do find don't come close to matching her time period. Since at least one of the children has Edward as a middle name I'm wondering if she was of English ancestry and not Norwegian.

The UK records post-1837 have no birth record for a Mary Segrie, exact spelling.
Go to Top of Page

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  14:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nels O Troe Birth Record http://troefamily.com/showmedia.php?mediaID=146&medialinkID=139 has him born in Minnesota, not Iowa. I've found lots of census records inaccuracies but this birth record seems pretty solid. Especially since Osten has uncollected mail at the Albert Lea Post Office at the same time.

Nels G Troe in 1906 directory born 2 Nov 1882 son of George Troe. He and Nels O are cousins. Interesting that they are both in Minneapolis at the same time though Nels O is thought to be dead http://troefamily.com/histories/MAN%20MOURNED%20AS%20DEAD%20IS%20ALIVE.pdf

Any ideas on where to look for a Norwegain Segrie?

davidnt
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  16:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just so you know David, the link for the troefamily tree doesn't work, unless a person registers on the site ....

Edited by - JaneC on 15/09/2013 16:36:54
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  17:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any ideas on where to look for a Norwegain Segrie?

The spelling of the last name might figure in. Segrie might be a rendition of Sigurd[son or datter] or part of the name of a farm in Norway. Stateside look in the 1880 census at the digitalarkivet looking at Minnesota, Iowa, & Dakota Territory for last names that start with Segr or Sigr to see if there's anyone else over here with the name. Collect the info on where and first names. Then go to the 1865 "classic" version of the Norwegian census at the digitalarkivet and look for surnames beginning Segr /Sigri and then for farm names starting Segr / Sigr and see if any of the American 1880 first names pop up on those farms.

Re the unclaimed mail, just saying, it might be unclaimed because he has already moved on....
Go to Top of Page

davidnt
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  17:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that, I think PDFs open without registering so let's try this http://troefamily.com/documents/NelsOBirthRecord.pdf. It's the first record at top.

davidnt
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  17:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Yes clearly says father is Osten Nelsontro. Birth in May; registered in December.

It's perhaps possible that additional 1925 census records for the children could reveal another name for Mary. A long shot.

Edited by - JaneC on 16/09/2013 18:01:56
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2013 :  19:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some transcriptions "for the record"...nothing new.

1880 US Census
Brookings, Dakota Territory
Austin M. Troe 30 born about 1850 Norway
Mary Troe 29 born about 1851 Norway
Nels Troe 3 born Iowa
Knut Troe 1 born Dakota Territory

Nels O. Troe 1918 World War I draft registration in Austin, MN
Nels born 20 May 1877; nearest relative Tom O Troe
Nels O Troe in Austin in 1931 city directory

1918 World War I draft registration in Austin, MN
Thomas Oliver Troe born 18 April 1883 (very clearly written)
nearest relative: Corinne Cook Troe
Works for Hormel Co

Austin, Mower, Minnesota
Thomas O Troe 35 born about 1885 in South Dakota parents b Norway
Corrine Troe 26 b Minnesota
Charlotte Troe 4 years 4 months b Iowa
Eileen Troe 3 years 2 months b Iowa
Ernest Troe 1 year 1 month b Minnesota
Nels O Troe 42 brother, born in South Dakota about 1878 parents b Norway

Edited by - JaneC on 16/09/2013 20:28:38
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2013 :  22:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for Mary Segrie turns up this family in the 1865 Norwegian Census on the Segaard øvre farm in Oppland. In the Tollef Engebretsen family there is a Mathe Marie Tollefsdatter born in 1852. Could be that Marthe Marie became Mary in America and Segarrd became Segrie.

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0525&kenr=007&bnr=0051&lnr=000

Edited by - AntonH on 18/09/2013 22:31:39
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2013 :  22:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I did find the birth record for Marthe Maria, She was born Feb 4, 1852. However if I read the record correctly she is also listed as having died July 26, 1908 at Branner. However her mother is listed as Ingeborg Olsdatter Segaari. See #9

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8998&idx_id=8998&uid=ny&idx_side=-101

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2013 :  22:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That "Segaari" is very tempting.

from an Ancestry.com family tree (no source given):

Marthe Maria Tollefsdatter
Birth 04 Feb 1852 in Segård Øvre, Biri, Oppland, Norway
Death 26 Jul 1908 in Brenner, Birid, Oppland

Edited by - JaneC on 19/09/2013 05:06:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article