All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 U.S. Year of Arrival
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DSelvey
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2013 :  01:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I can determine, the year of arrival was first asked on the 1900 census. For some of the early immigrants, their answer to this question may have been a best guess 50 or so years later.

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  06:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about when the census takers started asking 'year of arrival.' What I do know is that, even with the most easily tracked of my relatives, the ones from Gjerpen, there are varying dates for immigration (census and a caption in a book with photos taken by Andrew Dahl - many of which are archived by the Wisconsin State Historical Society), dates of birth (census and gravestones), and so on. I have actually come to trust the old church records from Gjerpen more than some of the census data. But who knew way back then that we would all want to learn so much....
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  16:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1890 US federal census, which was mostly lost to a fire, asked: "How many years has the person been in the United States?" 1900 US federal census would be the first US federal census that we can reliably access, that asked this question. The 1900 also asked, "What year did the person immigrate to the United States?"

On this link, click on the year to see the questions asked on the US federal census in that year:
http://www.census.gov/history/www/through_the_decades/index_of_questions/

Another reason (among others) that census data varies so much is that the informant in each case varied. Helps to have an understanding that the further away (in time and in location) from the actual person and the actual event, the more the likelihood of error or misleading info.

Edited by - JaneC on 01/04/2014 16:23:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article