All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Farm name Lille Rustad - North
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2014 :  05:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone help identify this farm location: I have information that it is now Viken but I don't know if that is accurate. The family is Jorgen Larson (1730 birth) married to Sigri Gilliksdatter Rustad

Son Gullik Jorgenson 1768 (birth) married Anne Olsdatter Ruad Rustad

Son Jorgen Guilliksen Rustad 1794 married Anne Olsdatter Bjerke Rustad 1800 (birth)

daughter Anna Margarette Jorgensdatter Rustad 1825 (birth) married Ludvig Nels Braaten 1833 (birth) Anna was the oldest of 5 .Ingelgorg, Berha, Gullik and Andreas Rustad (Johnson??)

Ludvig and Anna sailed to Quebec 1867 on the NOR WITH 4 children

Hope this helps.

Lorne Johnson

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2014 :  12:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Braaten in Eidsvoll

Ludvig Johnsen daylaborer and A. Margrethe with 5 children 1865 on Braaten nordre (northern).

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 15/01/2014 13:08:51
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2014 :  13:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rustad in Hurdal on this map.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2014 :  15:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The families living on 'Rustad, Nordre' in Hurdal, Akershus in the 1801 census -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=11&filnamn=f18010239&gardpostnr=7&sokefelt=skjul

The families on 'Rustad Lille' -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=13&filnamn=f18010239&gardpostnr=37&sokefelt=skjul
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2014 :  07:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very helpful - seems there are two farms depending on the generation Braaten Norde near Eidsvold and Rustad in Hurdal.
Can you tell me if Aggershuus is another name for Akershus? .....and what is the meaning of Tienestefolk ? ...Thanks!

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2014 :  08:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Aggershuus is an old spelling for Akershus.

Aker- (Akr in old Norse) Fields and Hus in this case; Borg/fortress. Akershus Fortress

"Tienestefolk" Servants.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 16/01/2014 09:02:58
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2014 :  13:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually the 1801 census shows four (4) farms in Hurdal, Akershus named Rustad. I linked above to two (2) of those which appeared to match what you asked for. The others in 1801 were called 'Rustad Søndre' and ' Rustads Privilig. Saugbrug.' By the time of the 1865 census the listing makes it appear that their had been additional division of those farms into more 'Rustad's.

A good website with a list of Norwegian words translated for you -
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
Note - toward the top of that website is an interesting discussion of spelling and letter substitutions commonly encountered.

A website where the writer has given instructions and advice to use the databases of the Digitalarkivet -
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html

Let me add another helpful 'translation' website for abbreviations commonly found in Norwegian censuses -
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/census_abbreviations.html

Edited by - Hopkins on 16/01/2014 16:54:49
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2014 :  02:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for all your help. I've found more information as I learn to navigate the Norwegian databases. I've found on my paternal lineage the farm name "Edingsaas Ovre. Parish Seude" . Can you tell me where this is in Norway please. I have family planning a trip to Norway this summer so I'm wanting to send them to our roots. Thanks again .....you've all been a lot of help. I'm sure there's more questions coming !

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2014 :  15:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are changing the topic of investigation to a different family and a different area on the same forum thread? That is not a good idea.

"Edingsaas Ovre. Parish Seude" is probably taking your new inquiry back to Telemark. It probably would be Saude (see Sauherad), Telemark.

------------
Here's a website that gives you excellent advice about what info to include in a query.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm
Go to Top of Page

lcarnold
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  07:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To lornejohnson
Concerning this posting of 2014: Our tree is identical with a few exceptions:

The birth year of Anna Margarette Jorgendatter Rustad of 1825 is problematic given the years we have for the couple's children, the first born in 1831.

We have her married to John Nielson Braaten, born 1810.

Their children: Katherine Braaten Johnson 1831, Nils Ludvig Johnson 1834, John Christian Johnson, Olianna Johnson 1842, Lauris Arnold Johnson 1848, Lovise Johnson 1851

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  14:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi lcarnold, The Anne Margrethe Jørgensd born ca 1825 who is mentioned in the opening query is not the woman you're asking about.

This Anne Margrethe Jørgensd is listed in the 1865 census as being age 39. She is shown as "kone" (wife) of Ludvig Johnsen. They are shown with an oldest son Jens Jørgen Ludvigsen born ca 1857. The residence is Braaten.

Click on the link to see the census: 1865

Seemingly the family you name is listed along with Ludvig and Anne Margrethe. And - without doing the homework - seems that Ludvig is or may be the son of John Nielsen Braaten. Ludvig seems to be your Nels Ludvig Johnsen. If so, then the Anne Margrete Jørgensd b ca 1825 who is discussed in this thread is the daughter-in-law to John Nielsen Braaten.

Did John have a wife Anne Margrethe? If so, it's a coincidence of similar name. The 1865 census lists John as "e" = enkemand = widower.

As far as I can see, no wife for John Nielsen Braaten is mentioned in this thread.

Edited by - JaneC on 04/05/2016 14:21:07
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  14:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eidsvoll 1862.
Confusing, a name sake?
John Nilsen Braaten was godfather when Anne Margrethe Jørgensdatter Braaten and Ludvig Jonsen's daughter Emma was baptized Nov. 11. 1862. link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 04/05/2016 15:22:19
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  23:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Icarnold: I haven't researched my maternal lineage past Ludvig Johnsen Braaten b 1833, married to Anne Margrethe Jorgensdatter b 1825. They had 6 children. The second child was my great grandmother Mary (Anna Marie) Ludvigsdatter b. 1859 in Norway. The family immigrated to America (Quebec) in 1867.

I would assume that John Nilsen Braaten b 1810 that you have is the father of Ludvig Johnsen. Family folklore has it that some one on this lineage was a music teacher at the University of Oslo ...do you know any of this history? Is your information on Ancestry? ....I'd like to share some information with you.

Lorne Johnson

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  00:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Icarnold: There's some interesting family history on this side of the family. My great grandmother's sister Emma married Wallace Wells ...there is Sioux Nations blood in the Wallace family. The Wallace boys were guides for Custer's army in the Dakotas and participated in some very nasty battles ....what is your connection to the Ludvig Johnsen family?

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  00:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a biography of F Melius Christiansen in which Jon Braaten is mentioned as head of a musical household in Eidsvoll in 1865. link

I haven't looked up the research, but seemingly it is or could be your Oleana Johnsen who married Anders Christiansen and became the mother of F Melius Christiansen of St Olaf College Choir renown:
http://wp.stolaf.edu/archives/dr-f-melius-christiansen-a-brief-biography/

Edited by - JaneC on 05/05/2016 01:35:57
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  06:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this JaneC. Seems there is music in the family ! Oleana is a family name that was repeated a generation later....Ludvig Johnsen Braaten named one of his daughters Oleana.

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article