All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Johanes Halvorsen Parents
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2015 :  12:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, give it a shot.

You're welcome but every question is a communal affair, you've had help from a lot of forumites here.

One other thing you could do is survey the faddernes of other people just to see who Johannes Halvorson was faddernes to since he wasn't found among expected people.
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2015 :  20:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

The information provided by Kåre above opens up a lot of information on the internet. There are several family trees for Anne Halvorsdatter Kophøl. Unfortunately I have not found any that detail her ancestry, but many do provide her descendants and some even have an e-mal address.

http://www.holla-og-lundeslekt.org/slekt/showDecendants.do?IId=48933

Famly of Knut Ivarsson Kophøl and his second wife. Does have an e-mail address.

http://home.online.no/~rkkaasa/slekt/aner/f1453.htm

Just an update. I've made contact by email with a couple of people including lyndal's find shown here ....but they don't have anything more to share about my Johannes Halvorsen.

I've also requested the probate record on Halvor Jorgensen from arkivet ....no reply to date.

I've also sifted through the Bo parish records starting at 1818 when Johannes and Gunild were married looking for their names to show up as witnesses for anyone's birth. I'm up to year 1830 and have found nothing. They must not have been very active in their church??

Lorne Johnson

Edited by - lornejohnson on 19/07/2015 20:18:23
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2015 :  22:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I get this interpreted please: Very bottom of page it mentions Halvor Jorgensen 1792 on Rukliev

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-tl20070312241142.jpg

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2015 :  00:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small letters, old Language, not easy to understand all of it.

"Fæsteseddel" Contract from Halvor Kittilsen (the landowner) to Halvor Jørgensen (the tenant) about leasing land. Settlement and accounting on land and forest.........Rødklev for a annual fee ....................1792

The two lines at the bottom is from 1889

Usually was maturing payment between Christmas and New year.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2015 :  04:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I can assume from this that Halvor Jorgensen never owned the land ,,,,he was a renter only? Would he have the right to pass this land rental agreement onto his offspring when he died 1815. Would there be information on this under Rocklev as well ?

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2015 :  10:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tenants/Cottagers owned the houses but leased the land. When Halvor died 1815 his heirs could take over the houses and continue on Rødklev on the same conditions as the father.
If a tenant wanted to move to a better place he could take the houses with him or sell them to the next leaseholder after fixed prices according to how well the houses were maintaned or whether it was set up new houses on the farm.
The houses were made of cogged timber and were "easy" to take down and put up again somewhere else.

The Lease-terms in time, obligations and rights were stipulated by the Law that gave reasonable good legal protection for peasants. The main problem was that the farms were to small to make a living.

If the tenant died the widow retained the same rights on the farm until she married again.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 20/07/2015 14:13:07
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2015 :  19:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is witness Johnannes Halvorsen Kleven ...page 48, line 116, 1836 Bo, Telemark ......however I don't know the significance of this ?? Translation please on the mother's name.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20051011050061.jpg&siz=gigant

Lorne Johnson

Edited by - lornejohnson on 22/07/2015 20:16:38
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2015 :  20:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting find Lorne.

Since the father's name is Thomas Nilsen, what do you know about Gunnild's family regards siblings etc?

The mother's name is Johanne Larsdatter Askilt ___ i Bøe.

A lot of the names seem familiar to me. Remember that in order to be a faddernes you have to have been confirmed so each of these people are likely at least 15 years old and the year is 1836, even enough time for at least some of the other faddernes to come from a younger generation.

There is an Ole Halvorson Hægna. Wasn't Johannes' sister married to a Halvor LiHægna? Perhaps this is a son?

There is an Ingeborg Knudsdatter. Didn't Johannes' sister Anne have an Ingeborg who was a Knudsdatter? Perhaps this is her.

Keep looking to see if Johannes pops up elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2015 :  21:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never found any record of siblings for Gunnild. Seems to me that she may have been an only child .?? Yes the other witnesses Ole Halvorsen b 1795 and Ingeborg Knudsdat b 1811 are definitely part of the family ...just not sure of the parents of the birth announcement ??

Johannes and Gunild had a son Nils Johannesen b. 1822 ...too young to be a grandfather in 1836 (14 years old)

With the farm name Kleven attached to witness Johannes Halvorsen and the other witnesses that are known family members....this strengthens the theory that my Johnnnes Halvorsen could indeed be the same candidate that we are interested in .

Lorne Johnson

Edited by - lornejohnson on 22/07/2015 21:39:48
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2015 :  21:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lornejohnson

Johannes and Gunild had a son Nils Johannesen b. 1822 ...too young to be a grandfather in 1836 (14 years old)

Only too just!
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2015 :  00:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
History on Gunild's parents has them married 1793, Gunild born 1794 and her father's death 1798. I looked for a second child (Thomas) birth record from 1794 to 1800. Nothing found. ... so I don't think Thomas Nilsen would be a brother to Gunild Nilsdat.

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2015 :  04:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so continue looking for any other instance in which Johannes appears.
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2015 :  07:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the search continues.

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2015 :  20:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possible son of Johannes Halvorsen and Gunild Nilsdat. as witnesses #89, page 90, 1841

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20051011050110.jpg&siz=gigant

What is the farm name on Halvor Johannesen and Ingeborg Halvorsdat ....please

He also shows up on #99 same page as a witness ( Halvor Johannesen)

Lorne Johnson

Edited by - lornejohnson on 23/07/2015 20:22:13
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2015 :  04:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Completed the search for Johannes Halvorsen as a witness to births in Boe circa 1818 to 1843 when he left for America. Only found his name surface the one time in 1836. It is rewarding however to have found him listed with the farm name Kleven....his death record found at the IDA Library USA also listed him the same way. ....and that he was in company of known relatives also listed as witnesses. I have had no reply from arkrivet regarding the probate info on his father Halvor Jorgensen ....not even acknowledgement of the inquiry??

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article