All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Baggage Allowances on the Voyage?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2014 :  08:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am pretty new here, and have yet to find - not that I wouldn't sooner or later! - any information about how much baggage and/or household belongings immigrants were permitted to bring on board the ships.

My interest in this question is related to my great-great-grandmother's spinning wheel, which supposedly came over with them from the Gjerpen area, around 1866.

I spin on and collect antique and vintage wheels, and this question has come up from time to time. Wheels are often advertised as having been brought over on the immigration journeys, and I'm sure they were, but any other details about the process would be very helpful.

In my grandma's case, the wheel type is very atypical for her region of origin, so I wonder if it was perhaps picked up along the way, or even once in the US. Thanks for any directions or topics you might guide me towards.

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2014 :  16:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This doesn't speak to what other items a person might take with them but this article on site talks about what was expected as a basic minimum of food a person might take:

http://www.norwayheritage.com/provisions.htm

Other chapters in the same series also mention that one captain asked that everyone play their instruments at once when they went into a deep fog, to make enough noise so other vessels might be aware of them. So they carried musical instruments and it might be that having a spinning wheel is not so wild a thing.

Likely the regulations might change through time during transition from sail to steam and from smaller ships to larger ships. But obviously if your wheel came from Norway, even if your family didn't bring it, someone had to bring it.

You might also want to search NAHA's articles (Norwegian-American Historical Association) for references to your question:

http://www.naha.stolaf.edu/

Edited by - jkmarler on 30/03/2014 16:13:45
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2014 :  21:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An em. story from a family from Hjartdal (Telemark county) written by Erna Oleson translated to Norwegian by "Hjartdal Historielag" Hjartdal Historical Society from her book "Wisconsin, my home" on page 15 link

Initially they tried to sell most of it on aution, but to a lower price than it was worth because there were many emigrants who did the same, and they did not have time to wait.

From Erna Olsons book, a short summary;
After the civil war, spring 1866.
In the luggage it was clothing, blankets, yarn, heirlooms, silver and all kind of things for the household in home-made boxes and chests.
One big chest that we still have in the family is so heavy that it takes two men to lift it even it is empty.
One chest was filled with flour, dried, salted and smoked meat and fish, butter, flat-bread and other things.
The children enjoyed themselves looking forward to the journey.
In Skien town they entered a smaller ship that brought them to Oslo where a biggers ship, Laurdal, took the to N. America.
The father sighed as he looked around at familiar and beloved places and the tears on mothers cheeks were streeming down day and night, while the young boys were keen to acquire a farm and the girls whispered among temselves all they got to see and about handsome men they came to meet.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 02/04/2014 09:56:29
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  06:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

This doesn't speak to what other items a person might take with them but this article on site talks about what was expected as a basic minimum of food a person might take:

http://www.norwayheritage.com/provisions.htm

Other chapters in the same series also mention that one captain asked that everyone play their instruments at once when they went into a deep fog, to make enough noise so other vessels might be aware of them. So they carried musical instruments and it might be that having a spinning wheel is not so wild a thing.

Likely the regulations might change through time during transition from sail to steam and from smaller ships to larger ships. But obviously if your wheel came from Norway, even if your family didn't bring it, someone had to bring it.

You might also want to search NAHA's articles (Norwegian-American Historical Association) for references to your question:

http://www.naha.stolaf.edu/

Thanks again for sharing links and information about my questions. I loved reading that first article about the provisions, and have been working my way through other articles about the journeys. Love the tidbit about the musical fog horn! The NAHA looks like another website I'll have to learn to navigate; lots of potential links there, too.
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  06:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

A em. story from a family Hjartdal written by Erna Oleson translated to Norwegian by "Hjartdal Historielag" Hjartdal Historical Society from her book "Wisconsin, my home" on page 15 link

Initially they tried to sell most of it on aution, but to a lower price than it was worth because there were many emigrants who did the same, and they did not have time to wait.

From Erna Olsons book, a short summary;
After the civil war, spring 1866.
In the luggage it was clothing, blankets, yarn, heirlooms, silver and all kind of things for the household in home-made boxes and chests.
One big chest that we still have in the family is so heavy that it takes two men to lift it even it is empty.
One chest was filled with flour, dried, salted and smoked meat and fish, butter, flat-bread and other things.
The children enjoyed themselves looking forward to the journey.
In Skien town they entered a smaller ship that brought them to Oslo where a biggers ship, Laurdal, took the to N. America.
The father sighed as he looked around at familiar and beloved places and the tears on mothers cheeks were streeming down day and night, while the young boys were keen to acquire a farm and the girls whispered among temselves all they got to see and about handsome men they came to meet.

Kåre

Thanks ever so much for this! The information is very interesting, but the really best part is that I recognize the name Skien as being the area where my great-great grandparents came from.

They were married in the church at Gjerpen, several of their children were baptized there, and 1 baby buried there. 1866 is when I was told they came to Wisconsin, but I have yet to verify that. You have given me a few more clues to use, for sure. I have wondered about which route they may have taken, and the timing is very close, perhaps.

And though I speak virtually no Norwegian, I plan to sit with a cup of coffee and scroll through that entire PDF of the book you mention, looking for more clues. I am fluent in Spanish, so enjoy reading through texts I have little hope of ever understanding; I love studying languages, even ones I don't know!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  15:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome.
The 1866 family from Hjartdal in Telemark who em. via Skien to Oslo where they entered ship Laurdal, perhaps your ancestor sailed with them on the same journey.
No passenger list from this journey exist, but some info exist including a photo of Laurdal

The family I wrote about were followed to Skien by friends and neighbors for a last farvell which was common.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 31/03/2014 15:58:14
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  06:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks once again. I truly hope to find a record of my family's voyage; one account I have found states 1866, and another, 1867. So, I have begun searching all the passenger lists, starting with ships that sailed from Porsgrunn. I will work my way out from there, and likely search a few years either side of the above dates. If I can't find them on any lists here, I have made a note that some lists held in Canada may help.

In case anyone has a fast, fast search method, or is by marvelous chance related: the names were Peter John Swenson (or variation), husband; Gunhild Olsdr Swendsen (or variation), wife; and Andrew/Andreas, son. There may have been/should have been perhaps, another son: Martin John Peterson. Their home was in Gjerpen.

Additionally, I was spurred to ask about baggage because of how different my great-great grandmother's spinning wheel was from the most typical variety of the time. Just today I came across a postcard on this site showing the typical variety. Hers was tiny and very slanty, more of the small German variety. (Articles for Newbies, #1. Early Norwegian Emigrants is where I found the postcard.)

I am truly enjoying this web site, and so very grateful for all the help.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  14:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Petter Svendsen, Nøklegaard, his wife Gunil Olsdatter and their children Andreas and Gurine Petrea left Gjerpen 1867, see #27-30.

The info in the 1865 census say Petter Svendsen was born in Sweden.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/04/2014 14:00:43
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  14:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Petter Svendsen and Gunhild Olsdatter had a a daughter Febr 15 1862 (she died the same day), a son July 15 1863 (he died the same day), and a son Martin Nov 12 1864, #3.

The daughter Gurine Petrea was born June 28 1866, #53.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/04/2014 14:47:09
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  16:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some info from Gjerpen to America link

Jan Petters occ. when he em. "smed" Smith

Bark Amelia left Porsgrunn April 18. 1867

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  16:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter Svendsen and Gunild Olsdatter were married Dec 28 1856, #59.

Jan Peters father was Svend Andersen, Sweden and Gunilds father was Ole Olsen Nøklegaard.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  16:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sue.
They married in Gjerpen church on Dec. 28. 1856.
Jens Petter Svendsen bachelor and smith from Fossum (Iron works) and Gunhild Olsdatter Nøklegaard.
Fathers; Svend Andersen from Killea in Sweden and Ole Olsen Nøklegaard, see last couple #59

More photos from Gjerpen church build ca 1150-1250 link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 03/04/2014 00:47:50
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  17:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They em. because Fossum Iron-works estebl. 1540 was closed 1867.
Fossum Iron-works

Nøklegaard genealogy link

Your family is mentioned ca 2/3 down;
"G.br.selveier" Farmer Ole Olsen Nøglegaard from Gjerpen bap. Jan. 1. 1795 dead April 18. 1875 son of Ole Andersen Nøglegaard, married 1. time Oct. 12.1826 Gunhild Aslaksdatter from Tufte (new link) bapt. Dec. 16. 1792 dead feb. 10. 1827, daughter of Aslak Halvorsen Tufte.

You need a translater

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 02/04/2014 17:55:18
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  17:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't begin to thank all of you who have posted since last night....I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face, but will be OK.

I had found hints in my searches of the Gjerpen records that they had had a daughter who did not survive. You have given her a name. The other baby I did not know about. I had also wondered about Martin. I so, so appreciate this information. Also knowing my grandpa's trade, and verification that he was born in Sweden. He lived in a very, very Norwegian community here, and didn't admit to his Swedish origins until the 1905 period, which I understand to have been an important time in Norwegian-Swedish relations.

I have a copy of a photo of Peter and Gunhild on my wall; they have provided me with much strength these past years since the rest of my family died, as I found the photo by pure luck. I will come back later today with a link to the source for that photo. That time period is when I also fell in love with the Gjerpen church. It is one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen, and I have spent a good bit of time living in Mexico, where there are beautiful churches on every corner. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  22:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Nøklegard family is interesting.
To understand what is written is to learn the abbr.
dpt - baptized
d- dead
g - married
s.a. - son of
d.a. - daughter of
g1g - 1. marriage
g2g - 2. marriage

Hopefully this translater works ca 90 % well.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 02/04/2014 22:50:03
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  22:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nøglegaard and Nøklegård is the same farm.
Ole Olsen Nøklegård 1795-1875, his father Ole Andersen Nøklegård 1767-1842 mentioned above was born in Buskerud County, on a small subfarm under Bø in Øvre Sandsvær municipality called Haugplass or Rajehaugen located to a small village named Raje, bapt. in Hedenstad church build ca 1100.

Ole Andersens parents was Anders Olsen Nøklegård and Gunhild Mikkelsdatter, Anders was known as Anders Olsen Raje when he lived in Sandsvær.

Ole Andersen was bapt. in Hedenstad church April 17. 1767, see left page 3. bapt. from bottom link
Hed (Hedenstad) 17.ej (same bapt. as above, April 17) Anders Olsen Rajes "Søn" Son Ole

Gunhild Mikkelsdatter was from Søndre (Southern) Sætre in Luksefjell, a smalt village in the woodland between Gjerpen and Sandsvær, today ca 500 persons lives there.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 02/04/2014 23:54:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article