All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Baggage Allowances on the Voyage?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  23:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anders Olsen Nøklegård signed a contract on Haugplass/Rajehaugen 1766 with Lars Nilsen Bø and sold the farm 1775 to Ole Halvorsen Skriua for 114 Daler and returned to Gjerpen and Nøklgaard.
A daughter Berthe was born on Haugplass 1771.

My ancestors brother Jon Gregarsen Tveita bought Haugplass/Rajehaugen 1880 and sold the farm 1891 to John Hansen Åsmundrud.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  07:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is all such a marvelous collection of information about my family.... and to think that it came about because I was trying to piece together information about how spinning wheels - especially Gunhild's - came to America with the immigrant families.

So, in a small way I hope to repay your kindnesses with a bit of information about a resource that started all of this for me a few years ago. I had a family photo that simply said "Peter Swenson funeral." No date, no names, no location.....and no one left to identify it for me. I knew my grandma's father was named Andrew Swenson, and searched my memory for a location....somehow I was correct, for when I googled "Andrew Swenson New Hope Township," the following is the URL I got.

http://www.scls.lib.wi.us/mcm/rosholt/photos-from-wi-past/photoswi/images/00000005.pdf

It is a PDF of a book written by a very knowledgeable man from the Portage County area of Wisconsin. The information is interesting, but the photos are beyond priceless, especially to me. On page 63, I found my family. Please enjoy the book (I forgot to check to see how to make a proper link; so sorry). The photos are mostly, or perhaps all, taken by Norwegian photographer Andrew Dahl. The state of Wisconsin now holds copyright to many of his photos.

I will be back late tomorrow if time permits; a few busy days ahead.

I am wondering if a separate thread would be permissable over in the general genealogy forum, about the Swenson family, with a link to this discussion. I know there are a few cousins, a few times removed, who may some day desire this information. Please advise.....and thanks again!

I really need to sit down at one of my spinning wheels and spin a bit to calm down, and to help me to begin to absorb all the wonderful details all of you have uncovered for me the past few days.
P.S. One of the few Norwegian words I already knew: Rokk!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  18:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome.
Thank you for sharing the PDF document with us.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  18:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Nøglegaard info.
Some also get old in the 1700s.

Ole Andersen Nøglegaard born 1767 on Haugplass in Øvre Sandsvær.
His father Anders Olsen Nøglegaard 1730-1809 was born on farm Skilbred ([enter Skilbred).
His father Ole Olsen Skilbred 1690-1757 was son of;
Ole Bjugsen Skilbred ca 1650 buried Mai. 18. 1754 and Ingeborg ca 1649 buried Sept. 20. 1712.

Churchbook for 1754, see 3. column from left under 1754 #26 26 18. do.Ole Biugsen Schielbred 104 aar (age 104)

Ole Bjugsen was most likely from Vinje

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 03/04/2014 19:31:18
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  08:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so impressed by this information going back so far into history! 2 years ago I had no idea that I would be embarking on these discoveries ..... until I found that photo. And now, I can start to really fill in the blanks! I am in a busy weekend, but will be here with more time early next week. Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  08:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Anders Olsen Nøklegård signed a contract on Haugplass/Rajehaugen 1766 with Lars Nilsen Bø and sold the farm 1775 to Ole Halvorsen Skriua for 114 Daler and returned to Gjerpen and Nøklgaard.
A daughter Berthe was born on Haugplass 1771.

My ancestors brother Jon Gregarsen Tveita bought Haugplass/Rajehaugen 1880 and sold the farm 1891 to John Hansen Åsmundrud.

Kåre

So, if I understand this correctly, at one time your ancestors owned the land that my ancestors had worked on a generation or so earlier? How incredible is that!?

Is there anyway to determine if the surname was taken from the farm because they worked there, or did they actually hold a title to it?
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  13:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
The Norwegian naming practices cam be studied Link

Simply put;
When Anders Olsen Nøklegaard moved to Raje in Sandsvær and settled down on the small farm Haugplass/Rajehaugen (Haug means heap) he may have used several names like; Anders Olsen Haugplassen.
- Anders Olsen Rajehaugen
- Anders Olsen Raje
- Anders Haugplass
- Anders Rajehaugen
- Anders Raje (when his son Ole was bapt.)
When Anders moved back to Nøklegaard he changed his name back to Anders Olsen Nøklegaard or Anders Nøklegaard.

Yes, my ancestors brother bought Anders Olsen Nøklegaards farm on Raje ca 100 years later.
My ancestor was born on another Haugplass farm 1795, ca 5 minutes walk from where your ancetors lived and where my grandmother was born 1885.

Both farms are now used as summer.recidences, my family sold the farm early in the 1900s

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 23/04/2014 10:01:07
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  15:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Variyng spellings for Nøklegaard in Gjerpen:
Nøklegaard, Nøglegaard, Myklegardhæ, Møgelgaard in 1585, Møckelgaardin 1593, Møcklegaardt in 1604, Nøglegaard in 1665 and Nøchlegaard in 1773.

The origin of the name starts with My...... from the adjectiv mykill which means big.
Between 1604 and 1665 M was changed to N.
The ending Gaard/gard/gård means farm;
Nøkle-/Møklegaard means "Storgård" Bigfarm in English.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/04/2014 15:50:50
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2014 :  07:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again! Just stopping by to say that I am still absorbing all of the information you have so kindly shared with me about my family. I have been reading about the mills in Norway, looking at google maps and taking small virtual "tours" of some of the places you have listed for me, absorbing the scenery and wondering what it looked like 150 or more years ago. It's been a very busy month, and will continue to be so for a bit, but I will be back here as often as I can. I only wish that I could someday repay your kindnesses in full. My friends are all totally impressed that there is such a great knowledge base here; unfortunately, none of them are Norwegian! I do have one friend researching her Danish lineage; is there a comparable site for such information for her to look at? Thanks once again!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2014 :  10:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The two Haugplassen farms;
- My ancetors farm who was first cultiveted by Even Torgersen from Gjerpen build houses there in 1763. Another name of this farm was Haugstullen.

- Your ancestors farm had many names; Haugplassen, Svensketjennhaugen, Haugen, Rajehaugen and Floglandhaugen after farm Flogland whou bought the farm 1893 and used it as a summer-pasture.
The meaning of the name "Svensketjennhaugen;
Svenske means Swede, tjenn means a small forest-lake and haugen means heap.
Not easy to translate; Swedelakeheap

From 1979 "your" farm was used as a summer recidence.

The Haugplassen farms shared a bog which also was the border between the two farms.

My ancestor Ole Johnsen was called Ole Rajehaugen even he lived on the other Haugplassen farm.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 23/04/2014 10:31:15
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2014 :  12:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here i someting to use for Denmark:

http://www.ddd.dda.dk/kiplink1.htm

http://www.sa.dk/content/dk/ao-forside

http://www.emiarch.dk/search.php3?l=en

http://www.hammerum-herred.dk/viewpage.php?page_id=1

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2014 :  17:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cottage for sale on the property Rajehaugen.
Even you do not see the farm/summer pasture you might have a certain impression of the surroundings link

Not sure when the photos will be deleted if you want to print out some of them.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 23/04/2014 17:45:44
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2014 :  18:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A typical Norwegian emigrantfamily would carry a suitcase similar to this; called an "Amerika-koffert" ("America-suitcase").

This article; Concerning Emigration?, was posted in the Norwegian "Billed-Magazin" in spring 1869.

From the article:
PREPARATIONS FOR THE JOURNEY
Chests or boxes made of strong boards - well joined and reinforced with iron fittings - should be secured for storage of the goods an immigrant expects to bring along to America. The owner’s name and destination should be painted on the boxes in large and clear letters. And the boxes should be of such dimensions that when fully packed they can be carried by two men. Too heavy boxes cause much inconvenience when they are to be reloaded at the railroad stations. Handles at each end will expedite transportation. We hear frequent complaints about the recklessness with which immigrant property is treated by employees of steamships and railroads. And it is true that these fellows do not wear silk gloves or treat things as if they were glass. The thousands upon thousands of articles they have to handle call for speed, and it may well happen that proper care is not always exercised. But it should also be remembered that the boxes are often so fragile that they scarcely bear touching without falling apart. Much trouble, many inconveniences and misunderstandings could be avoided if everyone would have his belongings packed in strong cases well marked with the owner’s name and place of destination. How much and which kinds of provisions the passengers should take along can best be explained by the shipping agents, so I will merely add that the chests or boxes in which the provisions are to be kept should be provided with locks because there could well be someone in the group of travelers whose conception of property rights might be somewhat dim.
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  04:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Here i someting to use for Denmark:

http://www.ddd.dda.dk/kiplink1.htm

http://www.sa.dk/content/dk/ao-forside

http://www.emiarch.dk/search.php3?l=en

http://www.hammerum-herred.dk/viewpage.php?page_id=1

Thank you much for those. I have passed them on to my friend. Haven't heard back from her yet; she lives in Asia at present and I believe is in the process of moving house. I hope she has the great good fortunes with those that I have had here!
Go to Top of Page

slaleike

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  04:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jwiborg: Thanks so much for that photo and the link. I love the box and so wish that our family still had something like that. The article was very interesting. I find all the little details add so much to my search for clues and data. Still trying to read everything at least twice that all of you have linked me to....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article