All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 Mariners
 Christianii S. Bergh / C S Bergh (Captain)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  19:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

This Christian's father is noted as Søren Christian Nielsen Berg, son of Niels Endressen Rogstad and b. abt 1786? m. Lucie on 31 Oct 1818, died in Sandsvær on 5 Sept 1840.[/b]

The father had no ability to travel with his family to North America....
Go to Top of Page

rosscampbell
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  05:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks jkmarler and my apologies to MarkLay for suggesting that the father, Søren Christian Nielsen Berg, who died in 1840, might have been aboard the Tricolor in 1844. I mistakenly associated the 1840 death date with Søren's father. I'll try to be more careful.

Do you know if Søren Christian Nielsen Berg was a ship captain? Regardless of my mistaken suggestion that Søren might have been aboard the Tricolor, Søren still may be the ship captain of family lore.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  15:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Søren as a teenager in the 1801 census:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01058279003332

Søren's & Lucie's marriage #26:
Source information: Buskerud county, Sandsvær, Parish register copy nr. I 3 (1817-1839), Marriage records 1818, page 370-371.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8578&idx_id=8578&uid=ny&idx_side=-183

Lucie not listed, not yet born, but her family in 1801 census:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01058279003443

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/12/2014 15:23:53
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  15:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucie Marie Halvorsdatter was bapt. "Sexegesima" (Sunday before Carnival) Feb. 21. 1802 in Hedenstad church, right page line 12 from top link

Hedenstad church from 1100

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 10/12/2014 15:56:13
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  16:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rosscampbell
Do you know if Søren Christian Nielsen Berg was a ship captain? Regardless of my mistaken suggestion that Søren might have been aboard the Tricolor, Søren still may be the ship captain of family lore.

Søren Nilsen was not a ship captain, but a farmer.

His father Nils Endresen Rogstad is supposed to be born in Luster ca 1751.

Luster is at the end of Sognefjord

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  18:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rosscampbell, did your Jennie ever live in North Hudson, St Croix, Wisconsin? Was she born in Milwaukee or Waukesha area in Wisconsin? Those are the areas cited by jkmarler for the Niels Bergh family currently under investigation. hat more can you tell about her, her husband, her children? What more do you know of her parents? Her siblings? The forum needs to know more about her to help you connect the dots.

Edited by - JaneC on 10/12/2014 18:30:24
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  19:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Below, this is probably the Nels who is son of Søren Christian Nielsen Berg and first came to the USA on the Tricolor.

1860 US Census
(Post Office Mapleton) Merton, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Nels Sorenson 37 born 1823 Norway, farmer
Mary Sorenson 35 born about 1825 Norway
Christian Sorenson 11 born about 1849 Wisconsin
Chas Sorenson 9
Lena Sorenson 6 ( = Annette Caroline)
Albert Sorenson 3
Jane Sorenson 3/12 (looks a lot like Jane but could be Jeni)
Jacob Sorenson 3/12
Sers Johnson 23 male (looks like Lars in original handwriting), farm laborer

Unclear if the following Jennie is married to Charles.
No indication the following is same Charles and Jennie as above.

North Hudson, St Croix, Wisconsin
John C. Fistcher 50
Olena Fistcher wife 45, born Norway
Elizabeth Berg, stepdaughter, 24, single, dressmaker
Rosabelle Buchea, stepdaughter, 17, married
Charles S Berg 29, boarder, laborer, consump (in the illness column), married, born WI, parents b Norway
Albert N Berg 4
Walter E Berg 2
Franklin C Berg 10 months, born in July
Jennie S Berg 20, boarder, seamstress, no marriage info, b WI, parents b Norway

Find-a-Grave memorial for Charles S Bergh, 1851-1884
burial Willow River Cemetery, Hudson, St Croix, Wisconsin
link

Edited by - JaneC on 10/12/2014 20:23:44
Go to Top of Page

rosscampbell
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  05:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JaneC, I do think the Charles and Jennie are the same people in 1860 and 1880.
Thank you for the link to Charles S. Bergh's grave marker on findagrave.com. Charles died in St. Paul and I did not know that he was buried in Hudson, Wisconsin. I know that Charles S. Bergh and Elizabeth Bouchea were married 31 December 1874 in Hudson, Wisconsin, and were living there in 1875. The Jennie S. Berg that you list in the 1880 census is the sister of Charles S. Bergh and is my great grandmother. I suspect that she was living with her brother to help care for him. Jennie married Anson Thomas Pope on 8 March 1883 in St. Paul, Minnesota, where I believe her brother Charles S. Bergh was living at the time. It is my suspicion that Jennie got married in St. Paul so that her brother Charles could attend. Her brother Charles was probably too sick to travel to Janesville, Wisconsin. He died the year after Jennie's marriage.
The last name "Fistcher" is actually Fischer. Olena Fischer was Elizabeth Bouchea's mother. John Fischer was Olena's second (I think) husband .
Much of the following comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson,_Wisconsin.
Elizabeth Bouchea's father, Peter Bouchea, was one of the four founders of Hudson, Wisconsin, in St. Croix County. Peter Bouchea was the brother-in-law of Louis Massey. The two of them settled in Hudson in the summer of 1840. It was not called Hudson at the time. Massey and Bouchea settled at the mouth of the Willow River, near the present-day First and St. Croix Streets. They had been part of the group who lived for some time along the river below Fort Snelling, which appears on some old maps as "Massey's Landing".
Go to Top of Page

rosscampbell
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  06:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jkmarler and Kåarto, thank you for the great links! Until I found this site, I knew nothing about Jennie S. Bergh's parents except that they were Nels Bergh and Gerta Maria Lunde and were both born in Norway.

Is there any record (other than the Gerhard Naeseth book) of the marriage of Niels Sorensen Berg and Greta Marie Jacobsdatter Dahl (or Gerta Maria Lunde according to some records on the U.S. side)?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  12:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the existing parish registers (records of pastoral acts birth/baptism, confirmation, marriage, and funerals) which contain the "vital records" for Norway are mounted online and are browseable by any with an internet computer. Of course the original records are mostly handwritten and in Norwegian but are generally easy to read (some variations in hand writing and use of language do occur).

Here is the page on which their marriage appears. There is a ton of genealogical information in the record if you look through the listings. Most interesting is Nils' occupation along with a number of other facts....

Source information: Buskerud county, Sandsvær, Parish register (official) nr. 5 (1840-1856), Marriage records 1848, page 446-447.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1126&idx_id=1126&uid=ny&idx_side=-229

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/12/2014 13:02:46
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  14:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The complete Family tree back to ca 1615 for Ingeborg Marie Halvorsdatter Hotvedt link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/12/2014 14:12:21
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  17:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rosscampbell

jkmarler and Kåarto, thank you for the great links! Until I found this site, I knew nothing about Jennie S. Bergh's parents except that they were Nels Bergh and Gerta Maria Lunde and were both born in Norway.

Is there any record (other than the Gerhard Naeseth book) of the marriage of Niels Sorensen Berg and Greta Marie Jacobsdatter Dahl (or Gerta Maria Lunde according to some records on the U.S. side)?

Wondering what records on the US side say that Gerta Maria Lunde = Greta Marie Jacobsdatter Dahl?

Another question: have you concluded that Jennie's parentage is now established? Is the forum in consensus about that?

Maybe I'm missing something.

The connection seems likely, but...

Find-a-Grave
Mary Bergh (no dates)
Burial: Oak Hill Cemetery, Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin
link

Find-a-Grave
Jennie Bergh Pope
Birth: Apr. 1860 in Oconomowoc, Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA
Death: Sep. 30, 1928 in Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin, USA
Burial: Oak Hill Cemetery, Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin
link

Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin
Anson T Pope 46
Jennie Pope 40 b April 1860 Wisconsin, married 1883, 6 children all living
Virgil Pope 16
Lizzie B Pope 14
Charles A Pope 11
Mary G Pope 8
Elsie M Pope 4
Olive E Pope 2

WISCONSIN MARRIAGE INDEX RECORD
Bergh, Charles S.
Bouchea, Elizabeth
Date: 1874-12-31
County: St. Croix
link

Edited by - JaneC on 11/12/2014 17:59:57
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  17:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it would be of interest to know how the family remembered Greta in US. Otherwise the marriage record in Norway explains at least 2 of her names.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  18:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's that marriage record - see #10.
Buskerud fylke, Sandsvær, Klokkerbok nr. I 4 (1840-1856), Ekteviede 1848, side 223.

Edited by - JaneC on 11/12/2014 18:17:35
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  18:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link to the marriage was already posted without the # . I thought maybe Ross would take a look for it for a bit of experience....and joy at finding?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article