All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 Mariners
 Christianii S. Bergh / C S Bergh (Captain)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  18:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, well that's what I was missing then! I didn't see it.
..... see it.

Edited by - JaneC on 11/12/2014 18:31:27
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  19:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Here's that marriage record - see #10.
Buskerud fylke, Sandsvær, Klokkerbok nr. I 4 (1840-1856), Ekteviede 1848, side 223.

Wow
"Ungkarl" bachelor Nils Sørensen Christiansen Berg "Sømand" Sailor.

Place of Living; Myre in Sandsvær and Milwaukee in Wisconsin in "Nordamerika" North America

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

rosscampbell
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  02:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have concluded that Jennie S. Bergh's ancestry has been established. Thanks to all who contributed. Sorry to MarkLay that I hijacked his topic. Below are some notes explaining why I am convinced of Jennie S. Bergh's ancestry.

The obituary for Jennie S. (Berg) Pope identifies her parents as Nelson and Mary Lunde Berg and states that she was born in Oconomowoc [in Waukesha County], Wisconsin, on April 6, 1860. Jennie died Monday, October 1, 1928 (the date was hand-written on the obituary that was clipped from a newspaper) in Janesville, Wisconsin.

The transcribed death record (found on FamilySearch.org) for Gerta Maria Lunde Lee (she had married Heldor K. Lee some time after her children were born), identifies Gerta's parents as Jacob and "Kesine" Lunde. It states her birth date and place as 28 November 1825 in Norway. She died 11 January 1879 in Janesville, Rock County, Wisconsin.

The transcription says "Lands" instead of "Lunde" but I'm confident that it is Gerta Maria "Lunde" and not Gerta Maria "Lands" as transcribed. I believe she
is buried near H. K. Lee in the cemetery but is identified as Mary Bergh. She went by the name Mary but my cousin has a photo of her that has "Gerta" on the
back. My cousin was confused about the name "Gerta" until I pointed out evidence that Gerta was her birth name. The marriage record of her son Charles S. Bergh identifies his mother as "Gertha". The name on her photo, the name on her son's marriage record, and the name on her death record lead me to believe that the marriage record has her first name wrong. Her first name was Gerta (not "Greta").

I am happy to see that the marriage record has the name "Lunde". That is the convincing evidence I was looking for that my Gerta Maria Lunde is the same person as Greta Maria Jacobdatter Dahl. I see that the name "Dahl" shows up in the far right column (father's name?) on the marriage record. I don't know why "Dahl" was attached to Gerta Maria Jacobdatter by Gerhard Naeseth. Would that be typical? Is it atypical that Gerta would identify herself as a Lunde?

Thank you Kåarto for the translations. jkmarler is too quick to ween me. :) In the U.S., the word "sailor" would usually apply to someone who was not an officer. Is it possible that "Sømand" could apply to an officer or captain? It is family lore that he was an officer and therefore "royal" in some way.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  10:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rosscampbell

I am happy to see that the marriage record has the name "Lunde". That is the convincing evidence I was looking for that my Gerta Maria Lunde is the same person as Greta Maria Jacobdatter Dahl. I see that the name "Dahl" shows up in the far right column (father's name?) on the marriage record. I don't know why "Dahl" was attached to Gerta Maria Jacobdatter by Gerhard Naeseth. Would that be typical? Is it atypical that Gerta would identify herself as a Lunde?

Thank you Kåarto for the translations. jkmarler is too quick to ween me. :) In the U.S., the word "sailor" would usually apply to someone who was not an officer. Is it possible that "Sømand" could apply to an officer or captain? It is family lore that he was an officer and therefore "royal" in some way.

Well, I guess I differ on the interpretation of Greta's farm name in the marriage record. Perhaps some of the Norwegian readers on site will look and interpret. To me it does appear as "Lands. It does not not have the mark above it, usually employed to mark u, but I could be wrong. Her father's name is given as Jacob Olsen Dahl. On page one of this topic is a short discussion about Norwegian naming practices. It's entirely possible that a person might be known by several different names throughout their life depending on which farm they lived but they are almost always their father's child.

It wasn't that I was trying to get rid of you, but I thought you seemed observant and might appreciate the intricacies. Also I wouldn't want you to miss the other marriage, who I think might be Greta's sister, on the same page.

Apparently Greta was born in Sandsvær as well and her mother's name will likely be recorded on Greta's baptismal record. It will be worth your while to get your feet wet in the records.

This hijack might not be so bad for the original poster as you might think. Christian Sørensen Berg was the only real possible we had discovered for his C.S. Bergh, and perhaps there is a family tradition preserved by other family members about him which would only be uncovered by exploring the possible's family. At any rate, since a brother to that Christian was a sailor (not likely a captain) perhaps that Christian also was a sailor.

Just checked at the digitalarkivet and in the 1801 census there is no farm named Lunde or Lands in Sandsvær--there are numerous farms named "Lande" however.

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/12/2014 13:11:18
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  14:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take this opportunity to read the marriage record that has been discussed lately.
Nils Søren Christiansen, Berg married Grete Maria Jacobsdatter, Lande Saturday June 10 1848.

Nils Søren Christiansen, who was a sailor, was born in Myre in Sandsvær.

Grete Maria Jacobsdatter was born the same place.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 12/12/2014 16:38:25
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  14:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

[quote]Originally posted by rosscampbell

He was not an officer when he married.
"Sømand" was a sailor, and "Styrmand" is the same as Mate.
Perhaps he was promoted to Mate in America.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 12/12/2014 14:38:55
Go to Top of Page

rosscampbell
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2014 :  05:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To jkmarler,
I agree that "Lande" is what the marriage record shows and may also be what the death record shows. I suppose that Heldor K. Lee (her husband at the time of Gerta's death) may have known how to spell it for the death record. The "Lunde" that appears in the daughter's obituary may be a somewhat American-phonetic spelling by a non-Norwegian. The U.S. names "Lund" and "Lunde" are more common than "Lande" so maybe that played a part.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2014 :  05:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the baptism record found on Ancestriy.com for Grete Maria, it does list her mothers name.

Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Grete Maria Jacobsdatter
Birth Date: 28 nov 1825
Baptism Date: 26 des 1825 (26 Dec 1825)
Baptism Place: Sandsvær, Buskerud, Norway
Father:
Jacob Olsen
Mother:
Anne Carine Olsdatter
FHL Film Number: 124109
Reference ID: bk 4

Also see number 6.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1125&idx_id=1125&uid=ny&idx_side=-92

Edited by - AntonH on 13/12/2014 06:08:03
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2014 :  13:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a 15 year old Abraham Berry b. Norway (possible Abraham Berg) living in Milwaukee Wisconsin in 1850. Household head is a sailor but doesn't appear to be a family member (born in Prussia):

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11619-112611-70?cc=1401638
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2014 :  18:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rosscampbell

To jkmarler,
I agree that "Lande" is what the marriage record shows and may also be what the death record shows. I suppose that Heldor K. Lee (her husband at the time of Gerta's death) may have known how to spell it for the death record. The "Lunde" that appears in the daughter's obituary may be a somewhat American-phonetic spelling by a non-Norwegian. The U.S. names "Lund" and "Lunde" are more common than "Lande" so maybe that played a part.

Greta Marie Jacobsdatter born 1825 on Søndre (Southern) Lande.
Parents; Jacob Olsen Dahl 1789-1842 and Anne Karine Olsdatter Laugerud 1796-1868.
Lande (owner was Jacob Anundsen Lande b. 1868) was sold out of this family 1896 to Trade manager Thorvald Johnsen.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2014 :  13:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nos. 12 & 13 are each going to North America (Greta)right hand page:
Source information: Buskerud county, Sandsvær, Parish register (official) nr. 5 (1840-1856), Migration records 1848, page 622-623.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1126&idx_id=1126&uid=ny&idx_side=-315
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2014 :  18:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Nos. 12 & 13 are each going to North America (Greta)right hand page:
Source information: Buskerud county, Sandsvær, Parish register (official) nr. 5 (1840-1856), Migration records 1848, page 622-623.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1126&idx_id=1126&uid=ny&idx_side=-315

Wife Grete Jacobsdatter Lande who married on June 3. Nils Søren Christiansen Berg that 4 years ago emigrated to North America with his mother and siblings.
Last column; With her husband to Milwaukee in Wisconsin.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

rosscampbell
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  05:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a question related to this discussion.

Looking through the Sandsvær kirkebøker at "https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/1126/44?indexing=" at the image identified by "SAKO, Sandsvær kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0005: Ministerialbok nr. I 5, 1840-1856, s. 72-73" there is an 1844 entry, fifth from the bottom on the right-hand side, that refers to "Anne Karine Olsdr Lande" and "Grete Maria Jacobsdr". What does the note say? Is this note related to the information on the previous page in the same image? [The two may be mother and daughter and, if so, are likely to be my ggg-grandmother and gg-grandmother, respectively. 1844 is when Grete Maria Jacobdr's future husband sailed for America. It was four years later, in 1848, that Nils Sorensen returned and married Grete Maria Jacobsdr.]
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  13:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The two names you mentioned are faddernes to the baptism of #83. They are witnesses / godparents to Inger Maria. Other names in the set are Isak Sjulsen Landemoen, Kittil Halvorsen Hagen, Hansjørgen Jørgensen Øen.

Anne Karine is a widow and Greta is an unmarried woman.

The next column contains the names of those who may have baptized the child at home, and for entry 83 is empty.

Which note did you mean?

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/01/2018 13:55:42
Go to Top of Page

rosscampbell
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  19:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you jkmarler. The "note" I was referring to is the paragraph of text in which the names appeared. I did not know what that column of text was. Thanks for explaining it. You said that Anne Karine was a widow. Is that what the word/symbol preceding her name means? And the symbol preceding Greta Maria's name?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article