All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hans Haakenson family in Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  03:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit of clarification - the children's names and ages on the Doan tree match the children in the 1865 census I posted. Their mother Is clearly not the woman of similar name who was raising a family in Sweden at this time.
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2014 :  06:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In regards to Hans' mother and at this site, was her name Maren Haagensdtr or is there another last name following Haagensdtr?

( Hans was actually born in Skedsmo, Akershus 20 Oct 1837 - parents Haagen Evensen and Maren Haagensdtr.
See birth/baptismal record #79
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=545&idx_id=545&uid=ny&idx_side=-40 )
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2014 :  09:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her name is Maren Haagensdatter, the name behind is the place they were living, in this case "Stalsbergeie" - i.e. a farm/cottage under the main farm Stalsberg.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2014 :  17:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you very much. When I look further across this line, I see what appears to be referance to Ole, Larson, Olson and another name I can't make out. Could this be a referance to other family members?
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  00:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a new question but since it is connection to the above messages, it might be best to add it to this thread.

In a reply from Hopkins on page one, there is a list of my great grandfather Hans Haakensen and his family. Hans had an older daughter named Hilda Leanora Cleo Haakensen, Birth, 2 Oct 1886 in Bergen, Hordaland, Norway. Here is my question. Hilda did not sail with her family and I understand she came to the U.S. before the rest of them. Did she sail from Bergen and if there was a baptismal record was Mathia her mother or was it Hans' first wife. Also, could this have been Bergan with an (a)?

Hans Haagensens first wife was Maren Henrikke Hansdatter. They were married Sept 17 1871, #68. Maren Henrikke died of cancer Jan 6 1874, (church record name her Maren Henriette Haagensen, née Hansen) #6 on right page.

Maren Henrikke was born in Eidsvold 1843, parish records for Eidsvold were lost in a fire in 1877. Further info is therefore very difficult to find. (Edited by - eibache on 03/11/2014 16:47:40)

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  02:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hans married Marthea Larsen in 1885, so it is reasonable to guess a daughter born in 1886 was born to her (not to a first wife who died in 1874). Hilda Leonore's birth-baptism record was posted on page one of this thread by jwiborg. Her name appears in blue. Click on the name to see the record. It is found in th# churchbook for Var Frelsers menighet, Oslo Domkirke, Oslo fylke.

Which leaves the question of Hilda Leonore's emigration. Do you find her in US records? As she is your ancestor, maybe you know her married name and have found her in 1910 census? That census tells year of immigration. Maybe you know if she immigrated as a single, or married, woman.

In 1900 Norway census, Hilda is with her family in Kristiania (aka Oslo).
Family listed is
Hans Haakensen b 1837
Mathea b 1860
Hilda b 1886
Margit b 1890
Rut b 1895
Alf b 1897

Stephen P Morse website is a great entry point for finding US incoming passengers. I'll take a look, and you might try as well.

Edited by - JaneC on 02/01/2015 02:27:25
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  02:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I will search through the emigration information.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  03:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joseph John Kolvek was perhaps her husband's name? Married in USA? So most likely she should emigrate under maiden name. The family emigrated 1903, so if she emigrated before them, she should be in USA 1910 census.

How sure are you that your ancestor Cleo is Hilda Leonore? I ask because you did not seem to know her mother's name, which would be a way of differentiating the various Haakensen families. A copy of the original of her death record should or may tell her mother's name.

In addition you are saying your Cleo was born in BERGEN, whereas Hilda Leonore was born in OSLO. Perhaps you are referring to a faulty family tree of someone else - or you may have bona fide evidence your Cleo was born in Bergen. It's hard to sort fact from fiction as things are stated.

Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska
Joseph Kolvek 42
Cleo Kolvek 46, born 1894 in Norway ---------
Russel Kolvek 26
Agnes 29
Barbara - 3 grandchildren
John
James age 1, born about 1939

Your family?

Edited by - JaneC on 02/01/2015 17:12:48
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  19:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cleo married the same Joseph Kolvek you are talking about, but it was at least 15 years after she imigrated to the U.S. During that time she had 2 children out of wedlock. One son was Russell and the other was my dad, Arthur. Arthur's birth Certificate listed him as Baby Boy Hogonson. About 6 months after his birth, Arthur (Baby Boy Hogonson), was turned over to a children's shelter in Minneapolis or St. Paul. He was taken out of the shelter and raised by Christian A. and Emma Sabin in the Detroit Lakes, Becker County, Minnesota area. I don't know if he was adopted or not but he was listed as Arthur Sabin in the 1920 census.

Thank you for your research in formation. As some family members have said, "Cleo is a bit of a mystery in her early years".
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  21:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed. Cleo has been a difficult search for you I am sure. The new information is interesting but does not quite answer the question, how do you link Cleo to Hilda Leonore? That question remains. Plus a new question arises, how do you link Arthur to Cleo? I can't bring up Arthur's birth record on Minnesota Historical Society website based on the criteria you state. But apparently Russel is older? born circa 1914 (per 1940 census) and Arthur born circa 1915 (per 1920 census). Christian O Sabin (1872-1929) was born Fairbault, MN to Norwegian parents (same source).

Well, you may not want the forum to check Cleo's identity (as Hilda Leonore, or not). Perhaps you have evidence that seems conclusive, already, linking Arthur to Cleo and Cleo to Hilda. My own take is that a lot of wide-of-the-mark info is slung around and Arthur's ancestry might actually be an open question.

Edited by - JaneC on 02/01/2015 21:27:00
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  22:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here Cleo is in 1930 census aged 47 living with her brother Alfred Hawkinson:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQK3-D36
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  22:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay,great. I also found an online discussion (Rootsweb) that says Cleo is named in Alf's obit - no further details in the post.
Go to Top of Page

sabingd
Medium member

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  22:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hilda Lenora Cleo Haakinson has been very elusive to say the least. On my father's birth certificate she showed her name as Ella Hokanson but on the Baptismal Certificate she is listed as Lenora Haakinson. I took my DNA test and it linked me to Cleos family.

In Minnesota an Illigitamate child's birth certificate is sealed but my dad got a copy of it in the late 1940s from the Ramsy County, Minnesota court house. The historical society is not allowed to open it to the public for 100 years which was 1914. As of last month it hadn't been opened yet.

My father met Cleo in the 1940s and she welcomed him in but she said she did not know his father's name and and she didn't disclose much other ther than the events relating to him. But it did link him to Cleo for sure

There is a family tree that has a few incorrect entries but it does include Russell and my father with Cleo. http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/10700384/person/-585860801?ssrc=

All of you are great!
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  23:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sabingd

Hilda Lenora Cleo Haakinson has been very elusive to say the least. On my father's birth certificate she showed her name as Ella Hokanson but on the Baptismal Certificate she is listed as Lenora Haakinson. I took my DNA test and it linked me to Cleos family.

The doble aa is apart in some names replaced by the letter Ċ (same pronunciation)

Haakinson;
Haakensen or Haakonsen in Norway.

Reg, Hokanson, Hok..... in English and Hċk...... Haak..... in Norwegian is pronounced almost identically.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 02/01/2015 23:58:35
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  01:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the "Russell Starvick" grandson in the family in 1920 the same as Russell Kolvek? Marcell is a sister to Russell Kolvek and your Arthur? Marcell's marriage announcement in the Omaha newspaper gives her last name as Anderson, parents as Mr & Mrs Arthur Anderson and that she was raised by her aunt and uncle Mr & Mrs J. J. Kolvek. In some records Russell as a middle initial A -- do you know what that stands for?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MD9S-6QP

The family in 1910 Yellow Medicine county, Minnesota:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M259-6W6

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/01/2015 05:19:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article