All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 1886 Passenger List
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LinLod
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  15:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for information on Samson and Anna Didriksen. According to Digitalarkivet, they left Kristiania on May 14, 1886 on the Marsdin, shipping line shown as Gjemre. Their journey originated from Trondheim on May 10, 1886 on the ship Christiania, line Thingvalla. I have tried to locate them through US ports and also Quebec but have had no luck. Hopefully someone can help point me the correct direction to locate their port of entry.

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  15:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you found them in the 1900 US Fed census? This appears to be a birth of child of theirs in Oct 1886 in Minnesota:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FD3F-X8S
Go to Top of Page

LinLod
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  17:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have census information from Minnesota in 1895 and 1905 and also the US Census. The information piece I am missing is where they landed. Samson had a brother who sailed on the Hekla on May 28, 1886. I have found him but have had no luck finding Samson or Anna.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  17:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon and Anna Dedrike arrived Philadelphia on May 31st, 1886, on the S/S British Princess.

Go to Top of Page

LinLod
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  18:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I went into Family Search for both this Simon and Anna. The British Princess record from Philadelphia clearly shows that they were both born in Poland. My Samson and Anna were born in Norway so this is not the correct record.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  18:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason to collect the information from the 1900 (and other) censuses is to help you by finding if they had applied to become US citizens.

The Declaration of Intention record (the first papers filed in the naturalization process) of the 1880-1910ish era usually contains the name of the port the person landed and the month and year of landing, getting closer to the information you say you want.

As to the Simon and Anna Dedrike, have you looked at the actual record or have you merely scavenged from from the transcriptions? I wouldn't be too quick to eliminate them until you have exercised due diligence.

We, on forum, can't see without having to go looking anything which you haven't shared --like a link to the records you already have. We don't know what you have or have not unless you tell us. We don't know how thorough you have been. Most invariably, people who say they have it all, don't have it all.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  18:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm 99.99999% sure it's the correct people.
It would be too much of a coincidence if there is a Simon and Anna Dedrike arriving at the same time as Samson and Anna Didriksen.

I see that the original record also says Poland.
When were Samson and Anna Didriksen born?

Simon and Anna are born 1856 / 1866.

Edited by - jwiborg on 12/02/2015 18:54:31
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  18:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to the Samson Didriks. the op mentioned:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/gen/vis/8/pe00000000087775

Here is a link to his other listing for the same travel:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/gen/vis/8/pe00000000996960

Samson is aged 34 and Anna is aged 25.

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/02/2015 19:08:45
Go to Top of Page

LinLod
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  19:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Minnesota 1895 Census shows that Samuel and Anna Derickson (name was change from Didriksen after arrival in US) arrived in the US 9 years previous. None of the Minnesota or US census forms shows any information on arrival. Samson's naturalization papers were filed in Ramsey County, Minnesota. The copy of this form does not include any information on immigration. They were filed in 1897. The ship list I have seen from the British Princess is a copy of the actual passenger list. It shows that Poland is the place of birth and location of last settlement for both Simon and Anna. My Samson and Anna were both born in Norway (1853 and 1864). The Norwegian Digitalarkivet records show that they left from Trondheim and went through Kristiania.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  19:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaving Christiania on the same day, you will find a girl named Elise T. Monsen (17) from Nord Aurdal, Norway.
Destination: Evansville, Minnesota
Ship: Marstin
Agent: Gjemre
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/gen/vis/8/pe00000000996955

I.e. leaving Oslo on the same ship, using the same agent, and having the same destination (Minnesota) as Samson and Anna Didriksen,
We would expect them to use the same travel path.

Quite interesting then, that there is a girl named Elise T. Monson (19) arriving Philadelphia on May 31st, 1886, on the S/S British Princess. Listed as born in Germany.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  19:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, the 1900 census says he came in 1886, been here 14 years and is "Na" meaning naturalized. Which papers did you get--the actual certificate of citizenship or the declaration of intention?

This is copied from the Iron Range naturalization database. One will be the declaration (probably the Volume X and the other is the certificate of citizenship.
:
Naturalization Record
First Name: SAM
Last Name: DERICKSON
County: RAMSEY
State: Minnesota
Code: 126
Reel: 44
Volume: 17
Page: 216

Naturalization Record
First Name: SAM
Last Name: DERICKSON
County: RAMSEY
State: Minnesota
Code: 107
Reel: 38
Volume: X
Page: 300

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/02/2015 19:21:51
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  19:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is also a girl named Ingeborg A Solseth (18) leaving on the same date, using the same agent Gjemre.
I wonder if she could be a distant cousin to the male Ingberg Solset (18) who arrived Philadelphia on May 31st, 1886, on the S/S British Princess. Listed as born in Germany.
Go to Top of Page

LinLod
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  19:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jkmarler asked about which page I have for naturalization information. I have a copy of page 300. It shows 3 forms--the top one is signed by two character witnesses; the middle form is where Samuel swears that he will support the Constitution of the US and the bottom form states that he is admitted as a citizen of the US. Would the other form--page 216 contain the information that I am missing?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  20:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there are no guarantees.

It sounds as if you have the actual record of his citizenship and not the declaration. Book X should come before Book 17 so it doesn't make sense and I can't say for certain. The other book may be his declaration or not, or it may be some other Sam Derickson or it might be a "muff." If the other book isn't his declaration then the declaration must have been filed somewhere else or under a different version of his name. Where were they living in 1892 and what name were they going by then?

But Jan has found 2 5 other travelers from Norway with the same travel descriptions as Samson & Anna in the Norwegian database who were on the ship in question on the date in question in the port in question. This is very strong circumstantial evidence that the Simon and Anna are yours, if the Samson and Anna who left in 1886 are yours.

Passenger lists are notoriously scrambled, poorly written and spelled and even if the original says Poland it might have been a clerical error rather than anything else.

I think you should still try for the Declaration because, unless there is a "family tradition" or a truly detailed history or obituary on Samson there may not be another record which will tell the information you seek and confirm Jan's finding.

Edited by - jkmarler on 12/02/2015 21:39:21
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  20:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can continue...
There is an Anton Iversen (20) from Faaberg, Norway, leaving on the same ship, using the same agent, May 14th, 1886.
Could he be "related" to the Russian guy Anton Iverson (20), who arrived Philadelphia on May 31st, 1886, on the S/S British Princess?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  20:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And what about Guri O. Rødningen (45). She left Oslo on the same date as Samson and Anna Didriksen, using the same agent as them, and leaving on the same ship.

I wonder if she could be related to the german male Gare O Rodninger (45), who arrived Philadelphia on May 31st, 1886, on the S/S British Princess...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article