All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Mary Johnson in Chicago, IL - born Norway in 1865
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  19:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been working on this problem for years, but have never managed to come up with any adequate reply!

Maria Johannesdotter Urness aka Hill aka Hogan aka Kins aka Johnson, daughter of "husmann" Johannes Monsson and wife Maria Hansdotter, livig on the Haugen place in Kinserdal valley, Urness farm in Hafslo parish, Luster Co., Norway, was born in Hafslo Aug. 26, 1865, but emigrated in 1885.

Maria had four older brothers and two older sisters who all emigrated to the US between 1867 and 1882. They went by different last names, Urness, Kins, Hill and Hogan. They all "started out" in Buffalo Co., WI and lived there at the time Maria emigrated in 1885.

The ONLY reference to Maria's destiny comes from a biography of one of her brothers which refers to "sister Mary Johnson lived near Chicago, IL". I SUPPOSE she must have married someone named JOHNSON, but I am unable to identify her in any census records in Illinois!

Any suggestions that may solve this problem, would be very much appreciated!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  19:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS: This inquiry is being posted simultaneously on the NORWAY Rootsweb-list, NORWAY-HERITAGE-list and the Norwegian Digital Archives. Information of importance which shows up on any of the other lists, will be reposted here.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  23:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by larsoyane

I have been working on this problem for years, but have never managed to come up with any adequate reply!

Maria Johannesdotter Urness aka Hill aka Hogan aka Kins aka Johnson, daughter of "husmann" Johannes Monsson and wife Maria Hansdotter, livig on the Haugen place in Kinserdal valley, Urness farm in Hafslo parish, Luster Co., Norway, was born in Hafslo Aug. 26, 1865, but emigrated in 1885.

Maria had four older brothers and two older sisters who all emigrated to the US between 1867 and 1882. They went by different last names, Urness, Kins, Hill and Hogan. They all "started out" in Buffalo Co., WI and lived there at the time Maria emigrated in 1885.

The ONLY reference to Maria's destiny comes from a biography of one of her brothers which refers to "sister Mary Johnson lived near Chicago, IL". I SUPPOSE she must have married someone named JOHNSON, but I am unable to identify her in any census records in Illinois!

Any suggestions that may solve this problem, would be very much appreciated!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane

Since everyone in the family appears to be going their own way with their names, perhaps she didn't marry but adapted Johannesdatter to Johnson --which would be a typical variation over here. There are some good Cook county and Chicago databases in familysearch....
Go to Top of Page

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  00:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jackie and other listers!

Thank you very much, Jackie, for your latest comment on this topic!

I am familiar with the many great databases on ancestry.com as well as on FamilySearch. I am using these every day looking for "lost" persons.

My thought was, maybe someone else will view the sources with a "different eye", and maybe you see things that I just haven't discovered!

Thanks again for any suggestions!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  01:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lars: You might try contacting the IDA Library in Belvidere Illinois. They have records of Norwegians in Boone County. The librarian there was very helpful in finding information for me ...no charge, but a donation to the library was requested.

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  02:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to ask, but did either of Mary's parents have a dødfallsprotokol?
Go to Top of Page

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  07:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear lornejohnson, Jackie and other Listers!

Thank you very much for your latest comments on this topic!

I am familiar with the IDA library in Belvidere. IL. They have helped me several times finding marriage licenses from Boone Co., IL. Now, whether they can find out what happened to Mary, I don't know. Before I ask them I would rather check to see whether there are any good alternatives for "our" Mary in Boone Co., IL. And I also have to add: Very few emigrants if any at all from Luster Co., Norway settled in Boone Co., IL when they came over from Norway!

You Jackie ask about "dodsfallsprotokoll". I presume you mean the list of survivors? Mary's father died too early (1873), so a list from that time would be of no use to us. When the mother Maria died in 1902, all it says is: "10 children in all, 7 of whom in America, all of major age". It does tell us that "our" Mary was still alive at that time, but that's all!

One way of searching for her, which I have also tried, is to check the 1900 census giving in the birth year plus/minus 2, the emigration year plus/minus 2, birth place Norway and first name starting with "Mar", then limit myself to Wisconsin and Illinois..., then browse the "matches" primarily looking for girls born in August! It takes time, but it MAY pay off... It has been a helpful procedure in other cases!

Thanks again for your great assistance in this matter!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  13:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So in the mother Maria's probate 1902 is stated she has 10 living children, 3 in (presumably) Norway, 7 in USA?

In 1865 census on Haugen in Hafslo, I count 9 children; one is already grown and gone (if I hear you correctly that Marie is youngest):

Mons Johannesen born about 1844
Hans b abt 1847
Martha b abt 1849
Nils b abt 1852
Anna b abt 1855
Johannes b abt 1857
Lars b abt 1859
Christoffer b abt 1862
Marie age 1 in 1865 census

Edited by - JaneC on 05/03/2015 23:00:58
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  20:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://archive.org/stream/historyofnorwegi00flomuoft/historyofnorwegi00flomuoft_djvu.txt

You might try searching through this document for Norwegians from Luster County....although it may predate the immigration of "your Mary".

Also ......are you familiar with Martin Johnson's work in Boone County genealogy? I can send you several links of places to look in Illinois and Wisconsin web sites that Martin Johnson sent me if you're interested.

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

lornejohnson

Canada
287 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  20:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some places to look.

LINKS CONTINUE IN LOWER HALF. IF LINKS DON’T GO THRU, DO A SEARCH FOR LINK.
1. www.BCHMUSEUM.ORG CLICK ON LINK. THEN CLICK ON MAPS OR OBITUARY INDEX OR RESOURCES (= DATABASE INDEXES ETC. FOR BOONE & WINNEBAGO CO.). BOONE CO. ILLINOIS. THE OBITUARY INDEX IS MISSING MANY OUT OF TOWN OBITUARIES. SEE NO. 13 BELOW.
2. www.CHERRYVALLEY.LIB.IL.US CLICK ON LINK. THEN CHERRY VALLEY HISTORY. THEN GENEALOGY LINKS (=DIGITALIZED BOOKS & INDEXES FOR BOONE & WINNEBAGO CO.). IN ILLINOIS.
3. http://GENEALOGYTRAILS.COM CLICK ON LINK. THEN ILLINOIS. THEN BOONE OR WINNEBAGO CO. OR DEKALB CO. (= DOZENS OF INDEXES & TRANSCRIPTIONS ETC. FOR THESE THREE COUNTIES ETC.).
4. www.USGENWEBARCHIVES.NET CLICK ON LINK. THEN ILLINOIS. THEN BOONE OR WINNEBAGO CO. OR DEKALB CO. (= DOZENS OF INDEXES & TRANSCRIPTIONS ETC. FOR ALL COUNTIES ETC.). VETERANS LISTS BY WAR & INF., & EARLY LAND SALES FROM STATE, ETC..
5. http://GENEALOGY.WINNEBAGOCOUNTYCLERK.COM/SIGNIN.ASPX THEN CLICK ON LINK. CREATE A FREE INDEX SEARCH ACCOUNT. THEN LOG IN. SEARCH BIRTH , DEATH, MARRIAGE INDEXES. SEARCH BY ONLY A SURNAME.
6. www.JOINERHISTORYROOM.ORG CLICK ON LINK. THEN CLICK ON DATABASES OR SYCAMORE TRUE REPUBLICAN (=DIGITALIZED NEWSPAPERS. CLICK ON TOP LEFT SEARCH ARCHIVES. THEN CLICK ON SYCAMORE TRUE REPUBLICAN IN SEARCH PUBLICATION BOX. PUT IN A SURNAME IN SEARCH FOR BOX.
7. www.DEKALB.ILLINOISGENWEB.ORG CLICK ON LINK. HAS MANY OPTIONS TO CHOOSE FROM. = DEKALB CO. ILLINOIS.
8. www.DEKALBGENEALOGY.COM/SIGNIN.ASPX CLICK ON LINK. THIS IS DEKALB COUNTY CLERKS OFFICE. CREATE A FREE SEARCH ACCOUNT. THEN LOG IN. PUT A SURNAME IN SEARCH BOX. THEN CHECK FOUR ITEMS TO SEARCH = BIRTHS, DEATHS, MARRIAGES, NATURALIZATION INDEXES. INDEXES ARE FREE.
9. www.MCHSONLINE.ORG CLICK ON LINK. PUT POINTER ARROW ON RESEARCH LIBRARY, THEN CLICK ON OBITUARIES (INDEX). THIS IS MCHENRY CO. HIST. SOC. AT UNION, ILLINOIS.
10. www.MCIGS.ORG THEN CLICK ON LINK. CLICK ON SEARCH ANCESTORS. CHOOSE FROM SEVERAL OPTIONS OF INDEXES. THIS IS MCHENRY CO. GENEALOGICAL SOC. AT CRYSTAL LAKE, ILLINOIS.
11. www.CYBERDRIVEILLINOIS.COM CLICK ON LINK. THEN DEPARTMENTS AT TOP. THEN ILLINOIS STATE ARCHIVES IN LIST. THEN DATABASES IN LIST. IT HAS DEATH & MARRIAGE INDEXES & EARLY LAND INDEXES FROM GOVT. & VETERAN LISTS BY WAR & VETERAN BURIALS AS OF 1929. AND CIVIL WAR MUSTER ROLLS DETAILED INFORMATION.
12. www.FINDAGRAVE.COM REGISTER AS A SUBMITTER. YOU CAN SEARCH BY NAME OR BY CEMETERY. 1. U.S & A STATE SEARCH. ONLY PUT IN A SURNAME & NO GIVEN NAME. 2. U.S & A STATE & COUNTY SEARCH. ONLY PUT IN A SURNAME & NO GIVEN NAME. IF A GRAVE IS FOUND IT WILL HAVE A FINDAGRAVE NO. YOU CAN ADD A GRAVE PICTURE & FOUR OTHER PICTURES. YOU CAN CLICK ON EDIT & THEN ADITONAL INF OR CORRECTIONS, WHICH WILL E-MAIL THE GRAVE PAGE SUBMITTER. YOU CAN ALSO REQUEST TO HAVE GRAVE MEMORIAL PAGE TRANSFERED TO YOUR MANAGEMENT. IF NO GRAVE IS IN A CEMETERY LIST. YOU CAN CLICK ADD A CEMETERY & ADD INF.. & BE THE NEW GRAVES MEMORIAL PAGE MANAGER. THEN YOU CAN CLICK EDIT & ADD LINKS TO THEIR FATHER, MOTHER OR SPOUSES FINDAGRAVE GRAVE MEMORIAL PAGES.
13. http://IDAPUBLICLIBRARY.ORG/DIGITAL-MATERIALS/ RESOURCES HAS LOCAL HISTORY GENEALOGY LINKS & DIGITALIZED ONLINE INDEXES, HISTORY BOOKS ONLINE ETC... ANCESTRY.COM IS AVAILABLE ONLY AT LIBRARY. HERITAGE QUEST IS FREE TO LIBRARY MEMBERS. CLICK ON IT AND ENTER LIBRARY CARD NUMBER. ALSO CENSUS INDEXES & IMAGES AND COUNTY HISTORY BOOKS ON THIS WEBSITE. ALSO A UPDATED OBITUARY INDEX ONLINE WITH OUT OF TOWN OBITUARIES SENT BACK TO BELVIDERE.
14. https://FAMILYSEARCH.ORG AT WEBSITE CLICK ON SEARCH AT TOP. THEN CLICK ON UNITED STATES AT BOTTOM LEFT. THEN SCROLL TO A STATES MICROFILMED INF.. THE ITEMS WITH A CAMERA AT LEFT OF THE ITEM HAS FREE ONLINE IMAGES OF INF. OR RECORDS. MORE TO BE ADDED IN FUTURE. MICROFILMS IN THE CATALOG SEARCH ITEMS ON WEBSITE ARE ORDERABLE INTO A BRANCH CHURCH LIBRARY FOR A FEE.

NO. 3 & 4 & 11 & 12 & 14 ALSO GO TO OTHER COUNTIES & STATES.
THESE ABOVE WEBSITES ARE CLICKABLE. OTHER AREA COUNTIES & STATES HAVE SIMILAR WEBSITES.
SYCAMORE, ILLINOIS NEWSPAPERS ARE FREE ONLINE AT www.JOINERHISTORYROOM.ORG .
WWW.GOOGLE.COM/NEWSPAPERS ONLINE ARE ALSO FREE.
http://CHRONICLINGAMERICA.LOC.GOV CLICK ON ALL DIGITALIZED NEWSPAPERS AT WEBSEARCH RESULTS. THESE ARE FREE ONLINE ALSO.
BELVIDERE, ILLINOIS NEWSPAPERS ARE DIGITALIZED AT www.NEWSPAPERS.COM A PAY WEBSITE. HALF OFF IF A ANCESTYRY.COM OR FOLD3 MEMBER. FREE AT IDA PUBLIC LIBRARY HISTORY ROOM.
ROCKFORD, ILLINOIS NEWSPAPERS ARE DIGITALIZED AT www.GENEALOGYBANK.COM A PAY WEBSITE.
FREE AT DOWNTOWN ROCKFORD PUBLIC LIBRARY HISTORY ROOM.
OTHER NEWSPAPERS DIGITALIZED AT www.NEWSPAPERARCHIVES.COM A PAY WEBSITE.
THE PREVIOUS FOUR WEBSITES EACH HAVE DIFFERENT DIGITALIZED NEWSPAPERS ONLINE.
PRINT THIS PAGE & PASS IT ONTO OTHERS. PRINT IT OUT BEFORE CLICKING ON A WEBSITE LINK.
PASS IT ON IN EVERY NEWSLETTER ISSUE & E-MAILS. RESEARCHERS NEW TO TRACING ANCESTORS NEED TO KNOW OF THESE WEBSITES. WHEN I TALK TO THEM, THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THEM.
MARTIN W. JOHNSON BELVIDERE AREA HISTORIAN FOR 45 YEARS.

Lorne Johnson
Go to Top of Page

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  01:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jane, lorne and other Listers!

First of all I wish to thank you very much for your comments on this problem. Next I must apologize for not including all of my findings on this family at once. However, I didn't consider that adequate for researching "Mary near Chicago".

Now, another problem with this information: I have compiled most of it, including the names and birth dates for the nephews and nieces of Mary's in Buffalo Co., WI, from old transcripts of the church records which I have partly produced myself in the 1970's and early 1980's, and at that time I never copied the sponsors' names. I travelled from church to church in the Mid-West, and was under extreme time pressure!

Nowadays we have archives.com and other online sources for many of these records, but in view of the fact that I am fighting multiple health issues and am about to complete a project that has been going on for almost 40 years, I have never subscribed to any of them, except for ancestry.com! And of course I use FamilySearch. These sources have so far given me most of what I need, but I am fully aware of the developing of many new online services, in particular all of the various newspaper databases.

As all of these new databases have become available, there has also been a rapid developing of various lists and forums, where I can post questions asking for help to find information unavailable to me, and I feel people are mostly very helpful. As a return service I try to help back where and when I can!

Thru the years I have seen obituaries for most of Mary Johnson's siblings, and also for many of the children, but these obituaries have not been classified and are hard to find in my archives. Thus, where exactly I have the information that Mary Johnson lived near Chicago, IL, I am unable to tell, but I do recall very clearly that wording!

Now, since you mention archives.com and other online services, I would like to try an experiment: I am posting below an excerpt of my manuscript of the Johannes Monsson Haugen family where all missing details have been pointed out in separate chapters starting with this particular sign: ¤¤¤¤¤ I expect most of these births can be found on archives.com, possibly with the exception of some from Naples township, Buffalo Co., WI where I understand the church records are missing(?). And maybe the little sister Maria shows up as a sponsor to children born after 1885?

Here we go:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Johannes Monsson Haugen, son av føregåande husmann og herifrå plassen, var f. 17.12.1820 og d. som husmann i Haugen 29.9.1873. Han gifte seg 29.5.1844 med Mari Hansdotter frå Grov, Valaker (bnr. 1, a). Ho var f. 22.8.1823 og d. som enkje i Haugen 12.8.1902. Johannes fekk 13.6.1845 feste på heimeplassen i Haugen og tok over styringi av plassen på same tidi. Han og Mari vart buande på plassen levetidi ut og fekk tolv born i lag:

1. Christi Johannesdotter (1844-1844).

2. Mons Johannesson (1845-1925), hamna som gardbrukar på Kroken (s.d.).

3. Hans Johannesson, f. 2.2.1848,
Hans J. Urness utvandra til Amerika i 1867 og gifte seg i Buffalo Co., Wis. 26.12.1871 med Synneva Johannesdotter frå Utladalen under Fortun i Luster, i Amerika kjend som Susan Forthun. Ho var f. i Luster 4.8.1846 og utvandra òg til Amerika i 1867. Hans og Susan farma ei tid i Naples township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men flytte i 1901 til ein "homestead" i Benge precinct, Adams Co., Wash. der Susan d. 19.8.1921. Hans Urness d. i Whitman Co., Wash. 15.1.1926. Dei fekk åtte born i lag:

a. Marie, kjend som Mary Urness, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 1.10.1872, d. i Colfax, Wash. 6.5.1935. Mary gifte seg i Adams Co., Wash. 19.5.1909 med William Henry Tipton, f. i Gary, Ill. 19.10.1860. Han d. i Spokane, Wash. 29.8.1936. Mary og William farma visstnok først i Benge precinct, Adams Co., Wash., men flytte sidan til ein farm i Lacrosse precinct, Whitman Co., Wash. Dei fekk ei dotter i lag.

b. John G. Urness, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 24.1.1875, d. i Colfax, Wash. 18.11.1938. Han gifte seg i Buffalo Co., Wis. 12.7.1900 med Mabel Alvira Nelson. Ho var f. i Waupaca Co., Wis. 9.6.1878 og d. i Pomeroy, Wash. 12.10.1959. John og Mabel tok først over heimefarmen hans i Naples township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men flytte 1911 til ein farm i Antigo township, Langlade Co., Wis. Derifrå flytte so huslyden i 1920 til Colfax, Whitman Co., Wash. der John livnærte seg som kolonialhandlar (“grocery store owner and operator”). Han og Mabel fekk tre born i lag.

c. Johanna, kjend som Jennie Urness, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 1.2.1882, d. i Spokane, Wash. 15.9.1943. Jennie gifte seg i Colfax, Wash. ?.11.1909 med Silas Franklin Webster, kjend som Frank Morgan, f. i Whitman Co., Wash. 28.4.1885. Han d. i Spokane, Wash. 1.5.1953. Jennie var lærar (“school teacher”), men farma sidan i lag med Frank, først i Mockonema precinct, Whitman Co., Wash. og sidan i Waverly precinct, Spokane Co., Wash., men vart skilde. Dei fekk sju born i lag.

d. Malena, kjend som Lena Urness, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 3.10.1884, d. ved eit ulukkeshende nær Valley, Wash. 17.5.1915. Lena gifte seg i Whitman Co., Wash. 10.6.1907 med John Frederick Moore, f. i Columbia Co., Wash. 12.12.1876. Han d. i Moscow, Idaho 3.5.1929. John gifte seg som enkjemann att 10.11.1918 med Cora Ellen Russell. Ho var f. i Idaho 8.11.1894 og d. i Wenatchee, Wash. 19.2.1988. John Moore farma i Rock Springs precinct, Whitman Co., Wash., men andre kona Cora flytte som enkje til Colfax, Whitman Co., Wash. og gifte seg att med ein Leinweber. John fekk i alt fire born; av dei var ei dotter frå første ekteskapet med Lena Urness.

e. Cecelia, kjend som Celia Urness, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 12.1.1887, d. i Colfax, Wash. 22.11.1968. Celia gifte seg i Palouse, Wash. 24.9.1913 med Ralph Ward Conner. Han var f. i Whitman Co., Wash. 30.10.1887 og d. i Colfax, Wash. 6.4.1955. Celia var lærar (“school teacher”), men sidan farma ho og Ralph fleire stader, for det meste i Lacrosse precinct, Whitman Co., Wash. før dei til sist flytte inn til Colfax, Whitman Co., Wash. der Ralph livnærte seg som maskinkøyrar (“county road department heavy equipment operator”). Dei fekk to born i lag.

¤¤¤¤¤ (three additional children died in infancy - info? - one a twin brother of Cecelia's - two of them may have been named Andrew and Marion!)

4. Martha Johannesdotter (1850-1904),
Martha Johnson utvandra til Amerika i 1871 og vart der borte gift med husmannssonen Nils Sjurson frå Hammaren under Urnes i Hafslo (1843-1907) (s.d.).

5. Nils Johannesson, f. 8.1.1853,
Nels J. Kins utvandra første gongen til Amerika i 1870, men kom attende til Hafslo eit par år etter, for so å utvandra på ny i 1878. Han busette seg først i Naples township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men gifte seg i Shell Lake, Wis. 5.9.1904 med enkja Lucinda Isabell Goreham Bolin, f. i Jackson Co., Ia. 26.5.1882. Nels og Lucinda slo seg ned som farmarar i Bashaw township, Washburn Co., Wis. der Nels d. 28.11.1920. Lucinda vart sidan attgift med søstersonen hans Nils, Henry

¤¤¤¤¤ (middle name?)

Hogan (1883/1884-1934), son av innerst Anders Halstenson herifrå Haugen under Urnes (1853-1937) (sjå nedanfor), men vart buande på farmen i Bashaw township, Washburn Co., Wis. Ho d. i Shell Lake, Wis. 30.11.1965. Lucinda fekk to born, eitt frå første ekteskapet sitt og eitt frå ekteskapet med Nels Kins:

a. Alma Elizabeth Bolin Kins, dotter av Lucinda og første mannen hennar, var f. i Washburn Co., Wis. 29.4.1903 og d. i Ft. Meyers, Fla. 23.1.1985. Ho gifte seg første gongen i Chicago, Ill. 1.1.1922 med Mathew John Orr, f. i Clayton Co., Ia. 16.8.1898. Han d. i Chicago, Ill. 13.3.1937. Mathew Orr var kredittstyrar og advokat (“credit manager and attorney”), og han og Alma budde i Chicago, Ill. Som enkje gifte Alma seg 2.3.1939 att i St. Augustin, Fla. med Rowland James John, kjend som James Kortebein, f. i Chicago, Ill. 28.3.1903. Han d. i Ft. Myers, Fla. 20.8.1991. James Kortebein var televerksarbedar (“telephone company employee”), og han og Alma budde mange år i Mundelein, Ill. og sidan i Golden, Mo., men flytte som pensjonistar til Ft. Myers, Fla. Alma fekk ei dotter, som var frå første ekteskapet.

b. Henry Nels Kins, f. i Washburn Co., Wis. 16.7.1905, d. i Washburn Co., Wis. 12.1.1975. Henry tok over heimefarmen etter foreldri sine i Bashaw township, Washburn Co., Wis., men var ugift.

6. Anna Johannesdotter (1855-1855).

7. Anna Johannesdotter (1856-1930), vart gift med innerst Anders Halstenson i Haugen under Urness (1853-1937); dei budde ei tid her i Haugen (sjå nedanfor).

8. Johannes Johannesson, f. 7.12.1858,
John J. Hill utvandra til Amerika i 1876 og gifte seg i Pope Co., Minn. 17.10.1882 med Johanna Olivia Johnson. Foreldri hennar var komne frå Solør, men Johanna var f. i Chicago, Ill. 30.12.1864. John og Johanna farma først i Naples township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men flytte i 1897 til ein farm i Walden township, Pope Co., Minn. I 1902 tok dei so “homestead" i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D. der John d. 15.6.1923. Johanna Hill d. i Minot, N.D. 19.12.1955. Dei fekk tretten born i lag:

a. Johannes, kjend som John Hill, Jr., f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 26.8.1883, d. i Mondovi, Wis. 9.6.1965. Han gifte seg i McLean Co., N.D. 11.11.1908 med Magdalena Marie, kjend som Lena Kerzmann, f. i Lyon Co., Minn. 24.4.1891. Ho d. i Bismarck, N.D. 3.11.1945. John og Lena farma først i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D., men flytte 1935 til Washburn, McLean Co., N.D. då John vart vald til kommunedomar (“County Judge”). Dei fekk tre born i lag, mellom anna denne dotteri:

- Gladys Arlene Hill (1924-2004), vart gift første gongen med Curtis Wilbur Keck (1926-1953) og sidan attgift med Cecil Everett Hill (1915-1975), son av husmannssonen Christopher Johannesson herifrå Haugen under Urnes (1863-1946) (for båe ekteskapi, sjå nedanfor).

b. Mina Otilia, kjend som Minnie Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 8.6.1885, d. i Britt, Ia. 2.9.1962. Minnie gifte seg i Minot, N.D. 18.11.1907 med Charles Wallace Welsh. Han var f. i Boonesboro, Ia. 4.4.1877 og d. i Britt, Ia. 14.12.1937. Charles og Minnie farma først ei tid i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D., men flytte tidleg til Britt, Hancock Co., Ia. der Charles livnærte seg som snikkar (“carpenter”). Dei fekk ti born i lag.

c. Christian, kjend som Chris Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 23.3.1887, d. i Bismarck, N.D. 24.9.1954. Chris gifte seg i Washburn, N.D. 30.6.1916 med Jennie Sophia Rostad, f. i Pope Co., Minn. 4.7.1895. Ho d. i Northwood, N.D. 19.5.1974. Chris og Jennie farma nokre år i Deepwater township, McLean Co., N.D., men flytte først i 1920-åri til Washburn, McLean Co., N.D. der Chris var kommunerevisor (“County Assessor and Auditor”) og sidan vegvoktar (“Highway department field man”). Han og Jennie adopterte to born.

d. Ella Ananda Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 21.1.1889, d. i Minot, N.D. 15.10.1978. Ella gifte seg i McLean Co., N.D. 13.3.1911 med Floyd Reinier Myers, f. i Adams Co., Ia. 15.3.1883. Han d. i Minot, N.D. 24.1.1967. Floyd og Ella farma i Loquemont township, McLean Co., N.D., men flytte som pensjonistar til Minot, Ward Co., N.D. Dei fekk sju born i lag.

e. Marie Christine Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 6.10.1890, d. i Minot, N.D. 8.10.1916. Marie gifte seg i McLean Co., N.D. 20.4.1910 med John Peter Kerzman. Han var f. i Lyon Co., Minn. 17.1.1886 og d. i Minot, N.D. 16.5.1966. John og Marie farma i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D. og fekk to born i lag.

f. Oliver Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 17.12.1892, d. ved eit ulukkeshende i McLean Co., N.D. 11.10.1915. Oliver var farmarbeidar (“farm laborer”) og budde heime hjå foreldri i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D. Han var ugift.

g. Melvin Julius Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 23.8.1894, d. i San Haven, Rolette Co., N.D. 16.12.1923. Melvin gifte seg i McLean Co., N.D. 19.1.1919 med Esther Jennie Anderson, f. i Wright Co., Ia. 19.11.1900. Ho d. i Portland, Ore. 30.12.1992. Melvin og Esther farma i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D., men Esther gifte seg att i Minot, N.D. 19.3.1927 med Carsten Ronshaugen og budde med han først i Minot, Ward Co., N.D. og sidan i Portland, Ore. Ho fekk i alt fire born; to av dei var frå første ekteskapet med Melvin Hill.

h. Carl Alfred Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 17.7.1896, d. i San Haven, Rolette Co., N.D. 26.1.1946. Carl gifte seg i Washburn, N.D. 8.11.1916 med Brynhild Olsdotter Sønstenes frå Synstenes i Lom, i Amerika kjend som Bertha Sonstenes. Ho var dotter av gardbrukar Ole Olson på Synstenes og kona Kari Syversdotter frå Skamsdalen og f. i Lom 13.2.1888, men utvandra til Amerika i 1910. Bertha d. i Minot, N.D. 9.11.1979. Carl og Bertha farma i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D., men som enkje flytte Bertha til Minot, Ward Co., N.D. Dei adopterte to søner.

i. William Bernard, kjend som Bill Hill, f. i Pope Co., Minn. 6.6.1898, d. i Minot, N.D. 15.10.1979. Bill gifte seg i Washburn, N.D. 14.8.1927 med Lotta, kjend som Lottie Moxness, f. i McHenry Co., N.D. 4.11.1901. Ho d. i Minot, N.D. 2.7.2000. Bill og Lottie farma først i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D., men flytte sidan til Velva, McHenry Co., N.D. der Bill livnærte seg som frisør (“barber”). Dei fekk fire born i lag.

j. Arnold Clarence Hill, f. i Pope Co., Minn. 8.5.1900, d. i Bismarck, N.D. 9.1.1979. Arnold gifte seg i Washburn, N.D. 3.6.1922 med Edith Bjork. Ho var f. i Pierce Co., Wis. 30.7.1901 og d. i Garrison, N.D. 12.4.1991. Edith var lærar (“school teacher”), medan Arnold tok over heimefarmen etter foreldri sine i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D. Han var òg ei tid kornmøllestyrar (“grain elevator director”) og likeins kommunalråd (“County Commissioner”). Han og Edith fekk fem born i lag.

k. Hilmer Joseph Hill, f. i Pope Co., Minn. 2.4.1902, d. i Minot, N.D. 7.11.1934. Hilmer gifte seg i Washburn, N.D. 6.6.1925 med Hazel Mae Johnson. Ho var f. i Shelby Co., Ia. 28.7.1903 og d. i Harvey, N.D. 3.3.1998. Hazel var lærar (“school teacher”), medan Hilmer farma i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D. Som enkje gifte Hazel seg 1.5.1947 att med Julius Schmidt, ein snikkar (“carpenter”). Ho fekk fem born, som alle var frå første ekteskapet med Hilmer Hill.

l. Clifford Myron LeRoy Hill, f. i McLean Co., N.D. 8.4.1904, d. i Minot, N.D. 30.4.1961. Clifford gifte seg i Washburn, N.D. 5.11.1924 med Gertrude Mae Whittaker, f. i Washington, D.C. 29.3.1902. Ho d. i Minot, N.D. 1.2.1982. Clifford og Gertrude farma først i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D. til dei i 1939 flytte til Ryder, Ward Co., N.D. Clifford var nokre år leiar for eit oljeselskap (“oil company manager”), og han og Gertrude flytte i 1943 vidare til Carrington, Foster Co., N.D. Frå 1951 var parfolket busett Minot, Ward Co., N.D. der Clifford var hotellstyrar (“hotel manager”), medan Gertrude var kontordame (“office worker”). Dei fekk to born i lag.

m. Floyd Walter Hill, f. i McLean Co., N.D. 28.12.1907, d. i Minot, N.D. 26.8.1994. Floyd gifte seg i Minot, N.D. 7.4.1928 med Julia Josie Snippen. Ho var f. i McLean Co., N.D. 29.11.1906 og d. i Minot, N.D. 7.3.1995. Floyd og Julia tok over farmen etter broren John i Roseglen township, McLean Co., N.D., men flytte i 1988 som pensjonistar til Minot, Ward Co., N.D. Dei fekk fire born i lag.

9. Lars Johannesson (1860-1936), fekk ta over heimeplassen i Haugen etter foreldri sine.

10. Christopher Johannesson, f. 6.5.1863,
Chris J. Hill utvandra til Amerika i 1882 og gifte seg i Eau Claire, Wis. 4.7.1901 med Elen Andersdotter Reseland frå Resaland i Hafslo, i Amerika kjend som Ella Reseland. Ho var f. i Hafslo 14.11.1880 og utvandra til Amerika i 1900. Chris og Ella slo seg ned som farmarar i Mondovi township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men flytte i 1942 inn til sjølve Mondovi, Buffalo Co., Wis. der Chris d. 30.5.1946. Ella Hill d. same staden 13.6.1964. Dei fekk seks born i lag:

a. Myrtle Borgny Hill (1902-1981), vart gift med Bertin, kjend som Bert J. Sie (1897-1983), son av gardbrukarsonen Johannes Nitter Hermundson frå Sie (1859-1898) (s.d.).

b. James Alexander, kjend som Jim Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 9.10.1903, d. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 26.11.1977. Jim gifte seg i New Richmond, St. Croix Co., Wis. 6.6.1928 med Vernie Mabel Minnie Lieberman, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 14.7.1903. Ho d. i Eau Claire, Wis. 27.7.1972. Jim og Vernie farma i Gilmanton township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men Jim var også butikkmann (“store clerk”). Dei fekk tre born i lag.

c. Bella Mathilda Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 12.3.1907, d. i Mondovi, Wis. 14.2.1992. Ho gifte seg i Buffalo Co., Wis. 30.10.1929 med Clayton Myron Wulff, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 3.8.1902. Han d. i Eau Claire, Wis. 4.9.1984. Clayton var snikkar (“carpenter”), og parfolket budde i Mondovi, Buffalo Co., Wis. Dei fekk ei dotter i lag.

d. Allen Benard Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 23.4.1911, d. i Mondovi, Wis. 10.5.1949. Han gifte seg i Buffalo Co., Wis. 7.6.1933 med Ruth Vergene Eaves. Ho var f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 10.6.1913 og d. i Janesville, Wis. 5.9.1995. Allen var bokhaldar (“bookkeeper”), og han og Ruth budde på ein liten farm i Mondovi township, Buffalo Co., Wis. Ruth gifte seg som enkje att i Mondovi, Wis. 20.10.1951 med Ray Moore. Ho fekk i alt tre born, som alle var frå første ekteskapet med Allen Hill.

e. Cecil Everett Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 19.7.1915, d. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 31.10.1975. Cecil gifte seg første gongen i Buffalo Co., Wis. 12.2.1938 med Theresa Goldene Hageness. Ho var f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 5.5.1918 og d. i Eau Claire, Wis. 27.2.1996, men vart skild frå Cecil i 1955. Theresa gifte seg 12.7.1957 att med Russell Thompson, medan Cecil gifte seg att i Washburn, McLean Co., N.D. 15.6.1957 med Gladys Arlene f. Hill, sonedotter av husmannssonen Johannes Johannesson herifrå Haugen under Urnes (1858-1923) (sjå ovanfor). Gladys var f. i Burleigh Co., N.D. 14.9.1924 og d. i Eau Claire, Wis. 17.2.2004. Ho gifte seg første gongen i Washburn, McLean Co., N.D. 6.10.1947 med Curtis Wilbur Keck. Han var f. i McLean Co., N.D. 28.9.1926, men d. i Bismarck, N.D. 20.10.1953. Curtis Keck var seljar (“car salesman”), og han og Gladys budde i Washburn, McLean Co., N.D. Cecil var byggarbeidar (“construction worker”) og budde levetidi ut i Mondovi, Buffalo Co., Wis. Han fekk i alt fem born, fire frå første ekteskapet og eitt frå det andre; dessutan hadde Gladys to søner frå første ekteskapet sitt.

f. Mildred Irene Hill, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 27.5.1919, d. i Durand, Wis. 24.11.1997. Ho gifte seg i Buffalo Co., Wis. 27.12.1941 med Martin Herbert Ambuehl, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 12.9.1913. Han d. i Durand, Wis. 25.1.1991. Mildred var lærar (”school teacher”), medan Martin var køyrekar og sidan televerksarbeidar (“drayman and later a telephone officeworker”). Han og Mildred budde i Durand, Pepin Co., Wis., men var barnlause.

11. Maria Johannesdotter, f. 26.8.1865,
Mary Johnson tente ei tid på Gjelde i Årdal, men utvandra derifrå til Amerika i 1885 og gifte seg

¤¤¤¤¤ (lived near Chicago, Ill. - biographies needed for her as well as for all of her children!)

12. Andrea Johannesdotter (1871-1959), vart gift med husmann Ingebrigt Larsson på Hammaren i Kinserdalen under Urnes (1868-1942).

~~~~~

Anders Halstenson Haugen, frå Ombandsneset under Eide i Luster, var f. i Luster 14.12.1853 og gifte seg i Hafslo 21.10.1877 med Anna Johannesdotter, dotter av føregåande husmann og herifrå plassen. Ho var f. 23.2.1856. Anders og Anna slo seg til her i Haugen hjå mor hennar som innerstfolk og vart buande på plassen fram til 1881.
Andrew og Anna Haugen utvandra til Amerika i 1881 og busette seg visstnok først på ein farm i Naples township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men flytte kring 1894 til ein liten farm i Barronett township, Washburn Co., Wis. der Andrew òg livnærte seg som jarnbanearbeidar (“railroad worker”). Parfolket flytte sidan til Superior, Douglas Co., Wis. der Anna d. 13.5.1930. Andrew Haugen flytte som enkjemann inn hjå sonen Christ i Brooklyn township, Washburn Co., Wis. der han d. 14.4.1937. Dei fekk sju born i lag:

a. Johannes, kjend som John A. Aide, f. i Hafslo 27.6.1879, utvandra til Amerika med foreldri sine i 1881 og d. i Lampson, Wis. 27.4.1954. John Aide var arbeidar (“laborer”) og budde i Lampson, Washburn Co., Wis., ugift.

b. Henry

¤¤¤¤¤ (middle name? – WW1 draft has none!)

Hogen, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis.

¤¤¤¤¤ (exact date of his birth? – WW1 draft says Henry Hogan – born Oct. 23, 1883 – single farm laborer at Argusville, Cass Co., ND! – nearest relative sister Mary Paulson!)

.3.1884, d. i Chicago, Ill.

¤¤¤¤¤ (date of his death? – perhaps Mar. 7, 1934)

Henry gifte seg

¤¤¤¤¤ (exact date and place of marriage? - not Washburn Co., Wis.!)

1921 med enkja Lucinda Isabell Goreham Bolin, f. i Jackson Co., Ia. 26.5.1882. Ho hadde før vore gift med morbroren hans, husmannssonen Nils Johannesson herifrå Haugen under Urnes (1853-1920). Henry og Lucinda vart buande på farmen hennar i Bashaw township, Washburn Co., Wis., men skilde lag i 1930-åri. Henry skal sidan ha vore busett i Chicago, Ill., medan Lucinda vart buande på farmen i Bashaw township, Washburn Co., Wis. Ho d. i Shell Lake, Wis. 30.11.1965. Henry og Lucinda fekk ikkje born i lag.

c. Christian Bernard Hogen, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 14.1.1886, d. i Lampson, Wis. 4.11.1939. Han gifte seg i Spooner, Wis. 17.3.1910 med Hanna Christina, kjend som Christina Lennartson. Ho var dotter av Carl Gustav Lennartson og kona Anna Bengtsdotter frå Annelov i Sverige og f. i Annelov 11.7.1889, men utvandra til Amerika med mor si i 1892. Christina d. i St. Paul, Minn. 29.6.1961. Christian Hogen var jarnbanearbeidar (“railroad section foreman”), og han og Christina budde på ein liten farm i Brooklyn township, Washburn Co., Wis. Dei fekk seks born i lag.

d. Martin

¤¤¤¤¤ (middle name? – WW1 draft has none!)

Hogan, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 26.12.1887, d. i Gresham, Ore. 24.6.1968. Martin gifte seg i Hudson, Wis. 19.7.1911 med Irma Blanche, kjend som Blanche Baker. Ho var f. i Dunn Co., Wis. 20.12.1894 og d. i Gresham, Ore. 17.1.1971. Martin var farmar og jarnbanearbeidar (“farmer and railroad worker”), og han og Blanche budde i Shell Lake, Washburn Co., Wis., men flytte i 1930-åri til Portland, Multnomah Co., Ore. Dei fekk ni born i lag.

e. Maria Bertina, kjend som Mary Hogan, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 11.11.1889, d. i Bigfork, Minn. 22.8.1968. Ho gifte seg i Spooner, Wis. 17.11.1909 med Ole Jørgen Mathiasson frå Arendal i Barbu, Aust-Agder, i Amerika kjend som Ole M. Paulsen. Han var son av tømmermann Mathias Paulsen i Barbu, opphavleg frå Gunhildstad i Ramnes, Vestfold, og kona Maria Osmundsdotter frå Hodne i Evje og f. i Barbu 12.6.1885. Ole utvandra til Amerika med mor si i 1901 og d. i Deer River, Minn. 5.10.1964. Ole og Mary Paulsen slo seg ned som farmarar i Pomroy township, Itasca Co., Minn. og fekk åtte born i lag.

f. Albert

¤¤¤¤¤ (middle name? – WW1 draft record has none!)

Haugen, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 4.2.1892, d. i Washburn Co., Wis. 23.7.1976. Han gifte seg

¤¤¤¤¤ (date and place of his marriage? – about 1928!)

med enkja Maren Elise, kjend som Elise Olsdotter f. Grytemark, opphavleg frå Grytemark i Våle, Vestfold. Ho var dotter av gardbrukar Ole Sørenson på Grytemark og kona Karen Marie Jacobsdotter frå Haslum i Sannidal (Kragerø) og f. i Våle 6.10.1889, men gifte seg første gongen i Våle 5.7.1913 med Ole Olson Haugen frå Skjerpinghaugen, Skjerping på Ål. Han var son av gardbrukar Ole Thomasson på Skjerpinghaugen, Skjerping, opphavleg frå Bergahagen under Reiersgard, og kona Sissel Olsdotter frå Bakke og f. på Ål 11.11.1891. Ole Haugen var målarsvein, og han og Elise busette seg i Tønsberg der Ole d. alt 7.11.1918. Under namnet Elsie Haugen utvandra enkja i 1922 til Amerika, og ho d. i Washburn Co., Wis. 9.1.1949. Albert og Elsie tok over heimefarmen hans i Barronett township, Washburn Co., Wis., men fekk ikkje born i lag. Derimot hadde Elsie ei dotter frå første ekteskapet sitt.

g. Andrew Mons, kjend som Mons Haugen, f. i Washburn Co., Wis. 6.12.1896, d. i Wirt, Minn. 19.10.1964. Mons var farmarbeidar (“farm laborer”) og budde først hjå broren Albert på farmen hans i Barronett township, Washburn Co., Minn., men flytte sidan inn hjå søsteri Mary i Wirt township, Itasca Co., Minn. Mons var ugift.

~~~~~

7. Nils Sjurson, f. 18.2.1843,
Nels Severson, sidan kjend som Nels S. Kins, utvandra til Amerika med foreldri sine i 1866 og gifte seg i Buffalo Co., Wis. 4.6.1873 med Martha Johannesdotter frå Haugen under Urnes i Hafslo, i Amerika kjend som Martha Johnson. Ho var f. i Hafslo 24.10.1850 og utvandra til Amerika i 1871. Nels og Martha slo seg ned som farmarar i Naples township, Buffalo Co., Wis. og vart buande der levetidi ut. Martha d. i Eau Claire, Wis. 19.3.1904, medan Nels Kins d. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 4.2.1907. Dei fekk elleve born i lag:

a. Samuel N. Kins, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 27.2.1874, d. i Stockton, Cal. 30.7.1947. Samuel gifte seg i Buffalo Co., Wis. 7.6.1903 med Martha Johnson, dotter av gardbrukardotteri Anna Pernille Sjursdotter frå Øvrebø (1851-1932). Ho var f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 7.6.1878 og d. i Mondovi, Wis. 19.2.1978, nesten 100 år gamal. Samuel og Martha Kins farma i Naples township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men Samuel reiste sist i 1920-åri til Stockton, San Joaquin Co., Cal. der han arbeidde som mekanikar (“mechanic”). Han og Martha fekk fire born i lag.

b. John N. Kins, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 20.8.1875, d. i Eau Claire, Wis. 4.3.1959. John gifte seg i Buffalo Co., Wis. 31.10.1917 med Alice Johnson, dotter av gardbrukardotteri Anna Pernille Sjursdotter frå Øvrebø (1851-1932). Ho var f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 9.8.1890 og d. i Eau Claire, Wis. 9.3.1944. John og Alice farma først i Naples township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men flytte sidan til Eau Claire, Eau Claire Co., Wis. der John livnærte seg som vaktmeister (“janitor”). Dei fekk ei dotter i lag.

c. Anna N. Kins, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 5.4.1877, d. i Mondovi, Wis. 13.4.1970. Anna gifte seg i Trempealeau Co., Wis. 9.9.1898 med Henry O. Klopp, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 22.2.1876. Han d. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 23.1.1952. Anna og Henry Klopp farma i Dover township, Buffalo Co., Wis. og fekk elleve born i lag.

d. Nels N. Kins, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 10.12.1878, d. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 11.8.1880.

e. Nels N. Kins, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 17.8.1880, d. i Miami, Okla. 26.1.1970. Han gifte seg

¤¤¤¤¤ (date and place of his marriage? – 1930 census shows their ages 48 and 50, married at 26 and 28 – Nels in 1900 a single farm laborer in Dover township, Buffalo Co., WI)

med Alma V.

¤¤¤¤¤ (middle name?

Dyer. Ho var f. i Idaho Co., Idaho 17.10.1866 og d. i Hood River, Ore. 5.5.1949.

¤¤¤¤¤ (1910 census shows Nels Kins, married farmer, lodging at a hotel in Portland, OR – alone, ”born in Washington” – 1918: model laundry engineer at The Dalles, Wasco Co., OR – 1930: truck farmers, Columbia River Highway, West precinct, Hood River Co., OR – 1942: high way worker same address!)

f. Albert Lenwick, kjend som Albert N. Kins, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 20.4.1882, d. i Stockton, Cal. 4.8.1965. Albert gifte seg i Woodland, Cal. 1.7.1912 med Ada Della Miller. Ho var f. i Yolo Co., Cal. 19.4.1894 og d. i Stockton, Cal. 22.1.1981. Albert var dels farmar og dels mekanikar (“farmer and mechanic”), og han og Ada budde i og kring Stockton, San
Joaquin Co., Cal. Dei fekk to born i lag.

g. Martin N. Kins, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 30.3.1884, d. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 7.11.1907. Martin farma i Naples township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men var ugift.

h. Henrietta Mathilda Kins (1886-1975), vart gift med husmannssonen Ole Hansson Eide frå Yttrishaugen under Yttri (1871-1932) (s.d.).

i. Nora Kins, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 27.12.1887, d. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 4.3.1888.

j. Nora Caroline Kins (1889-1964), vart gift med John Olson (1878-1939), son av husmannssonen Anders Olson frå Jervateigen under Bolstad i Luster (1833-1912) (s.d.).

k. Ella

¤¤¤¤¤ (middle name?)

Kins, f. i Buffalo Co., Wis. 17.7.1891, d. i Grand Forks, N.D. 4.12.1981. Ella gifte seg i Buffalo Co., Wis. 20.10.1915 med Johan Adolf, kjend som Adolf Gulbrandson Berger frå Brandbu, i Amerika kjend som Adolph G. Berger. Han var son av paktar og skogsarbeidar Gulbrand Iverson på Berger, opphavleg frå Slettebakken under Sørum, og kona Eolina Andreasdotter frå Furuset på Vestre Toten og f. på Brandbu 23.1.1894. Han utvandra med mor si til Amerika i 1907 og d. i Seattle, Wash. 5.11.1976. Ella og Adolph Berger farma først i Modena township, Buffalo Co., Wis., men flytte sidan til ein farm i Farmington township, Walsh Co., N.D. Dei vart skilde kring 1940, og Ella flytte sidan til Grand Forks, Grand Forks Co., N.D., medan Adolph byte namn til John A. Berger og flytte til Seattle, King Co., Wash. der han gifte seg att to gongar. John fekk fem born, som alle var frå første ekteskapet med Ella Kins.

¤¤¤¤¤ (his occupation in Seattle, WA?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a LARGE family to say the least, but I wanted to show you all I have on these people, and any additions or corrections that can be located, will be very much appreciated!

Thanks again for your great assistance in this matter, and Good Luck!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  02:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lars, well it's clear you desperately need help as you know so little! Teasing...

Really, this is impressive work!

Johan Adolf Berger seems to have married Kinsey Renah McClintock(?) and in 1953 city directory in Seattle (and other years) is listed John A Berger (wife Renah) - carpenter. He next married Anne F Deale (?) in Seattle, 1968. Norman G Berger was a witness, and your John had a son Norman G, so presumably it is your guy. l write this from memory; will check on Ancestry.com but tomorrow.

Edited by - JaneC on 06/03/2015 03:54:36
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  07:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this comes under the category of "over-achiever"

John A. Berger's obit was published in the Seattle Daily Times Saturday 6 Nov 1976, pg 30 col 5:

"John A. Berger

Beloved father of Norman, Seattle; Mrs. Ellen Tarrain, Grand Forks, N.D.; Mrs. Mabel Shaw, Melrose Park, Ill. Brother of Ole P. Berger, Seattle; four grandchildren, three great grandchildren. Member of the Ballard Eagles No 172. Visitation Saturday. Mittlestadt Mortuary. Services and Interment at Grand Forks, N.D."

John is buried in Memorial Park Cemetery in Grand Forks, N.D. in 1st Addition, Section 23, Lot 30, grave 1. Buried on 10 Nov 1976

Ella Berger is in the same plot in grave 2, buried on 9 Dec 1981

Lloyd Berger is in the same plot in grave 3, died on 7 Feb 1952, buried on 16 Apr 1952.

"Home is the place, that when you go there, they have to take you in."

In the 6 May 1967 Seattle Daily Times issue an Anne F asks a divorce from John A. Berger.

There is also an ad published in 1973 with a picture of a John A. Berger announcing an insurance sales award. The man looks too young to be a 79 year old so perhaps there is more than one John A. Berger in Seattle.
Go to Top of Page

larsoyane
Starting member

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  09:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jane, Jackie and other listers!

Thanks a million for new facts about the Bergers. I was surprised to see he was buried with his 1st wife! Wel, his occuopation in Seattle, WA was what I was missing, and now I know!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  13:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the old man draft of 1942 the possible middle initial of Albert Haugenis dealt with:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11864-166259-38?cc=1861144

Edited by - jkmarler on 06/03/2015 13:57:30
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  15:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minnesota Official Marriage System Online (MOMS)

A bride Lucinda Kins married a groom Henry Hogan
09 June 1921
St Louis County, Minnesota
https://moms.mn.gov/Search?S=1

I just thought, if I lived in Washburn county, Wisconsin, in 1921 and wanted a fun yet convenient wedding-and-honeymoon getaway, where would I go? Duluth! for the wedding and a Lake Superior North Shore cabin getaway after.

Edited by - JaneC on 06/03/2015 15:53:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article