All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Name connection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

StevenDopp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  03:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been long passed down through the family that Johan Olsen Brandvig was the father of Claus. In the family book, "Claus Johnson, Jacob Brandvig, Christian Brandvik: From Norway to North Dakota" by Virginia Vleck (1993) states that all three are brothers and their parents are Johan Olsen and Johana (Anna) Olsen. It contains an 1880's photo of the Brandvik farm. My mother supplied the photo for the publishing of the book.

Claus likely paid for Jacob and his mother to emigrate to North Dakota. Also, all three had farms in close proximity of each other in North Dakota. Plus I have a few photos of the three brothers and their families.

However, I don't think the Vleck book is completely correct as I think Karen Colanusdatter was Claus' mother and Johan Olsen Brandvik was his father. I will try to email you what I have written so far.

quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

Johan Olsen Brandvig was married in 1856:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/327/pv00000000457657

As I understand it, you believe that this is the same person who fathered Claus? If so, how did you come to this conclusion?

Looking at the 1865 census, I see that Johan Olsen Brandvig has a 14 year old daughter Inger Maria

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01038315001187

She must have been born around 1851, hence before Klaus. So if the two Johan Olsens are identical, Klaus should be Johan's fourth child, and not his third.

Edit:

On the other hand, this daughter may have been his wife's rather than his. I doubt the census people would distinguish. Here is the baptism of Inger Maria:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000004630158

Edited by - StevenDopp on 17/12/2020 03:08:56
Go to Top of Page

StevenDopp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  03:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this link shows that Johan Olsen was the father and Karen Colbanusdatter the mother of Claus. Both appeared to live on the Mollergard farm at the time. https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000004630447
Go to Top of Page

StevenDopp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  03:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your work. I will take a look at all the links you have found.
Go to Top of Page

StevenDopp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  04:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I am having a difficult time reading the link, unfortunately. I assumed that Anders Halvorsen was my Karen's husband and that he was simply much older than my Karen.

quote:

There is a problem with the marriage in Frosta in 1845: According to the record, the bride was 50 years old:

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/2467/171

That would make her 57 years old in 1852, when Klaus was born.

So there are likely two Karen Colbanusdaughters involved. According to the 1865 census, the younger one, living with her son at Møllergård, also originally came from Frosta ("Frosten"), which is not surprising, given the peculiar name. Quite possibly the two women were related.

Go to Top of Page

StevenDopp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  04:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. It would make sense that she and her mother moved to Orland. I wonder if my Karen ever married? The 1900 US Census states that she was a widow. Perhaps she lied to the Census official?

quote:

This is likely the baptism of your Karen Colbanusdatter: #17 https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/17055/13

Åsen was a subparish of Frosta. According to Åsen bygdebook, her parents were Colbanus Hansen (1790-1820) and Kirsti Arntsdatter (ca. 1787 - ) although the ministerial book clearly says Kirsti Eriksdatter. They were married in 1818, had one child in 1819 who died 20 weeks old, and then Karen in 1820. The book also says they lived at Skogtrøa, although the church book seems to say something different.

Then Karen and her mother moved to Ørland (close to Bjugn) in 1836, (#3 & #4)

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/2447/320

Edited by - StevenDopp on 17/12/2020 04:10:50
Go to Top of Page

StevenDopp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  04:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The baptism link indicates that a Pedersen and not Johan was the father of Inger. This would make sense and might explain how Claus could have lived on the Brandvik farm. Anne, I think, had a child from a previous marriage so was likely more tolerant of Johan with a son (Claus) from a previous affair.

quote:

Johan Olsen Brandvig was married in 1856:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/327/pv00000000457657

As I understand it, you believe that this is the same person who fathered Claus? If so, how did you come to this conclusion?

Looking at the 1865 census, I see that Johan Olsen Brandvig has a 14 year old daughter Inger Maria

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01038315001187

She must have been born around 1851, hence before Klaus. So if the two Johan Olsens are identical, Klaus should be Johan's fourth child, and not his third.

Edit:

On the other hand, this daughter may have been his wife's rather than his. I doubt the census people would distinguish. Here is the baptism of Inger Maria:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000004630158

Edited by - StevenDopp on 17/12/2020 04:09:28
Go to Top of Page

StevenDopp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  04:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This site indicates that Ane had Inger with Johan Peter Pedersen https://www.innstrandslekt.no/getperson.php?personID=I19989&tree=slektstre1

Edited by - StevenDopp on 17/12/2020 04:15:15
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  11:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevenDopp

I believe I found the location of the property on Google Maps. It is near the Brandvik farm. Can anyone help me find the name and address of the property owners? I will write to them.
Perhaps there are some old photographs of Claus and Caren there. Thank you!

Møllergård is located at the address

Brandvikveien 14
7165 Oksvoll

Here it is on a modern map.

In the phone book I find no person registered at this address. According to the property information at the map website, the property is used today as a museum and a library, plus storage.

Here is the museum website
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  13:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting. It would make sense that she and her mother moved to Orland. I wonder if my Karen ever married? The 1900 US Census states that she was a widow. Perhaps she lied to the Census official?

quote:

This is likely the baptism of your Karen Colbanusdatter: #17 https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/17055/13

Åsen was a subparish of Frosta. According to Åsen bygdebook, her parents were Colbanus Hansen (1790-1820) and Kirsti Arntsdatter (ca. 1787 - ) although the ministerial book clearly says Kirsti Eriksdatter. They were married in 1818, had one child in 1819 who died 20 weeks old, and then Karen in 1820. The book also says they lived at Skogtrøa, although the church book seems to say something different.

Then Karen and her mother moved to Ørland (close to Bjugn) in 1836, (#3 & #4)

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/2447/320

It generally is much easier in US to be a widow than an unmarried mother or divorcee-- more socially acceptable.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  13:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Claus and family in the 1885 Dakota Territorial census transcription:
19-007-04 Johnson, Klaus 32 Head Farmer Norway Cass
19-007-05 Johnson, Betzy I. 27 Wife Norway Cass
19-007-06 Johnson, Clauda 6 Daughter Dakota Cass
19-007-07 Johnson, Oscar 4 Son Dakota Cass
19-007-08 Johnson, Unetta 1 Jan Daughter Dakota Cass
19-007-09 Iverson, Ans 22 Servant Farm laborer Norway Cass
19-007-10 Stoley, John 23 Servant Farm laborer Norway Cass
19-007-11 Lumn, Louis 30 Servant Farm laborer Norway Cass
19-007-12 Machter, Caroline 60 Mother Norway Cass

Here is Claus' marriage in Minnesota Official Marriage System:
GOODHUE M6-573 12/06/1877 JOHNSON, CLAUS A. SOON, JANETTE PEDERSON

Here is Claus' probate index listing at NDSU Archives:
Johnson, Claus A. 205-2884 Died Mar. 14, 1914 Raymond Township, Cass County, ND

Claus' 2nd marriage is recorded in the Zion Lutheran church at Harwood records on 9 April 1883. He is listed as "enkemd" which abbreviates widower. This marriage record records his mother's name as Karen Kolbjorson and his father as Johan Olson and his birth places Throndhjem. Berit's name is listed as Berit Iversdatter Moen and her birthplace as Dovre, Norway and her parents as Iver Moen and Marit O Moen.

Please excuse me if you already have this information.

Edited by - jkmarler on 17/12/2020 14:23:10
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  14:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacob Andreas Brandvig m Oline Moen on 19 Nov 1889. His parents are listed as Johan Ols Brandvig and his wife Ane Olsdtr and his birthplace as Bjugn, Throndhjems __, Norway and Oline's parents are listed as John Moen and his wife as Anna Olsdtr and her birthplace as Dovre. Witnesses to the wedding are Iver J Moen and Claus A Johnson. From the Zion Lutheran church records at Harwood. Jacob is listed as resident or member of N.M.River and Oline is listed as member of the congregation. N.M. might be short for North Maple?

Karen Colbjornson's death is recorded as occurring 10 March 1901 with burial 13 March 1901 and her age is listed as 83 years. Claus Johnson is identified as her son. Also found in Zion Lutheran Church records.

Edited by - jkmarler on 17/12/2020 15:07:09
Go to Top of Page

StevenDopp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  15:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating. Thank you for the information. Could you provide me with the links, especially for the marriage information? I am especially interested in the marriage information about Janette Pederson. I have often speculated that my mother's middle name, Jeanette, in honor of Claus' first wife. The family always thought the name of Claus' first wife was Jonetta Sohn or Schoen and that she was from Goodhue County, Minnesota, but originally from somewhere in Norway (I don't know where in Norway).

I understand that this website will be closing down in January. I would like to be able to keep this discussion going after it the first of the year. My email address is dopphomefl@gmail.com

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Here is Claus and family in the 1885 Dakota Territorial census transcription:
19-007-04 Johnson, Klaus 32 Head Farmer Norway Cass
19-007-05 Johnson, Betzy I. 27 Wife Norway Cass
19-007-06 Johnson, Clauda 6 Daughter Dakota Cass
19-007-07 Johnson, Oscar 4 Son Dakota Cass
19-007-08 Johnson, Unetta 1 Jan Daughter Dakota Cass
19-007-09 Iverson, Ans 22 Servant Farm laborer Norway Cass
19-007-10 Stoley, John 23 Servant Farm laborer Norway Cass
19-007-11 Lumn, Louis 30 Servant Farm laborer Norway Cass
19-007-12 Machter, Caroline 60 Mother Norway Cass

Here is Claus' marriage in Minnesota Official Marriage System:
GOODHUE M6-573 12/06/1877 JOHNSON, CLAUS A. SOON, JANETTE PEDERSON

Here is Claus' probate index listing at NDSU Archives:
Johnson, Claus A. 205-2884 Died Mar. 14, 1914 Raymond Township, Cass County, ND

Claus' 2nd marriage is recorded in the Zion Lutheran church at Harwood records on 9 April 1883. He is listed as "enkemd" which abbreviates widower. This marriage record records his mother's name as Karen Kolbjorson and his father as Johan Olson and his birth places Throndhjem. Berit's name is listed as Berit Iversdatter Moen and her birthplace as Dovre, Norway and her parents as Iver Moen and Marit O Moen.

Please excuse me if you already have this information.

Go to Top of Page

StevenDopp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  15:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing! Thanks again for the information.

How did you access the Zion Lutheran church records? Any idea where Beret Moen, Oline's sister, was born? Are you saying that Oline was born in Dovre or that Ane Olsdtr was born in Dovre?

quote:

Jacob Andreas Brandvig m Oline Moen on 19 Nov 1889. His parents are listed as Johan Ols Brandvig and his wife Ane Olsdtr and his birthplace as Bjugn, Throndhjems __, Norway and Oline's parents are listed as John Moen and his wife as Anna Olsdtr and her birthplace as Dovre. Witnesses to the wedding are Iver J Moen and Claus A Johnson. From the Zion Lutheran church records at Harwood. Jacob is listed as resident or member of N.M.River and Oline is listed as member of the congregation. N.M. might be short for North Maple?

Karen Colbjornson's death is recorded as occurring 10 March 1901 with burial 13 March 1901 and her age is listed as 83 years. Claus Johnson is identified as her son. Also found in Zion Lutheran Church records.

Go to Top of Page

StevenDopp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  15:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Tore:. My guess was 14 Brandvikveien but I was not sure. I found it a few days ago on Google maps but was not sure of the address. I couldn't find out who lived there either. I am glad to hear it is now a museum and I will contact the museum. Perhaps they have a few old photos. Perhaps they would be interested in what I have found about Claus as he was living there at the time of the 1865 Norwegian census. I will definitely have to visit now.

quote:

quote:

I believe I found the location of the property on Google Maps. It is near the Brandvik farm. Can anyone help me find the name and address of the property owners? I will write to them.
Perhaps there are some old photographs of Claus and Caren there. Thank you!

Møllergård is located at the address

Brandvikveien 14
7165 Oksvoll

Here it is on a modern map.

In the phone book I find no person registered at this address. According to the property information at the map website, the property is used today as a museum and a library, plus storage.

Here is the museum website

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  16:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Amazing! Thanks again for the information.

How did you access the Zion Lutheran church records? Any idea where Beret Moen, Oline's sister, was born? Are you saying that Oline was born in Dovre or that Ane Olsdtr was born in Dovre?

quote:

They are in the ELCA pastoral acts records database at Ancestry. Perhaps your local library has the Library Edition of Ancestry which has been made available for an extended period for patrons of participating libraries (North Dakota State Library is participating with many local public libraries in North Dakota offering the service.) So I don't have links since I don't have a private subscription.

The records are labelled as being from Zion Lutheran at Harwood but the notes amongst the records indicate there may have been several small congregations who consolidated with other churches and ended up as Zion Lutheran.

Her birthplace was recorded as Dovre, Norway just like Oline's in her marriage to Claus, see above.

Edited by - jkmarler on 17/12/2020 16:26:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article