All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Herman Sandersen South Africa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  16:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an H Sandersen arrival into England, birth abt 1874. Not much useful information on the original manifest. Port of Embarkation is listed as Adelaide. Landing port is Pliymouth.

Mr H Sandersen
in the UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Name: Mr H Sandersen
Birth Date: abt 1874
Arrival Date: 14 Feb 1896
Ship Name: Pentaur

Edited by - AntonH on 07/11/2015 16:49:54
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  17:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelaBoger

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

[quote]Originally posted by jkmarler

Could someone on forum please look at the location where Olaf went rømt. Is that Durban?

I'm not sure exactly what it says there, but underneath England says "ditto", so it was somewhere in England, if I'm reading that correctly.

Under the column labelled hvor is the word I'm wondering about.
Fra means from, Til means to and hvor is part of the column asking (I think) where he mustered out.
Go to Top of Page

AngelaBoger
Starting member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  17:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AngelaBoger

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by jkmarler

Could someone on forum please look at the location where Olaf went rømt. Is that Durban?

I'm not sure exactly what it says there, but underneath England says "ditto", so it was somewhere in England, if I'm reading that correctly.

Under the column labelled hvor is the word I'm wondering about.
Fra means from, Til means to and hvor is part of the column asking (I think) where he mustered out.

I think it says London... If you look lower down someone's says Lpool (for Liverpool).. So the first letter looks like an L to me.
Go to Top of Page

AngelaBoger
Starting member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  17:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Here is an H Sandersen arrival into England, birth abt 1874. Not much useful information on the original manifest. Port of Embarkation is listed as Adelaide. Landing port is Pliymouth.

Mr H Sandersen
in the UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Name: Mr H Sandersen
Birth Date: abt 1874
Arrival Date: 14 Feb 1896
Ship Name: Pentaur

Hmmm... Seems promising, but it doesn't say anything about his nationality does it? Does it have a picture of the passenger list?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  18:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No no nationality listed, he could very easily be English. Ancestry.com where I found the record does let you look at a scanned copy of the original manifest.

Edited by - AntonH on 07/11/2015 22:31:49
Go to Top of Page

AngelaBoger
Starting member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2018 :  19:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I finally have a little bit of new information. I found his application for naturalization in South Africa, which gave the following information:-

He was born in Porsgrund.
In 1904 he said his age at his next birthday would be 30, so we still have a birth year of circa 1874.
On 12 November 1904 he claimed to have been residing in South Africa for 3 years 5 months, so his estimated arrival in South Africa was June 1901.
His occupation was that of a seaman.

Does anyone have advice now on how to find some documentation on him?
Thank you!
Angela
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2018 :  21:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Porsgrunn is in the county (fylke) of Telemark so we can look there. I do not think any of the candidates we surfaced earlier were from Telemark.

Useful to be able to narrow the search down to one county. But I am not finding a lot of good candidates. Maybe only this one.

Eilef Hans. Sanden in the 1900 Norwegian Census

This may be the baptism record for Eilef, born in Sauherad, Telemark. Should be called Eilef Hansen. That is probably what the Saude stand for in the 1900 Census.

Name: Eilef Sigurdsen
Birth Date: 9 jun 1876
Baptism Date: 18 jun 1876
Baptism Place: Sauherad, Telemark, Norway
Father: Hans Sigurdsen
Mother: Kirsti Anne Eilefsdatter
FHL Film Number: 1282566
Reference ID: p12 #30

Confirmation

The NHDC version of the 1900 Census shows him as Eilef Sanden and does not show a connection to him for 1910 Census.

NHDC 1900

Edited by - AntonH on 23/03/2018 22:46:01
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2018 :  22:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this is Eilefs mother in the 1865 Census, not yet married, but living on the Sanden farm.

Most likely
her as she married Hans Sigurdsen in 1869. #7

One of their sons left for Wisconsin in 1895

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 24/03/2018 01:17:15
Go to Top of Page

AngelaBoger
Starting member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2018 :  22:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.. That doesn't really sound like a match either. :(
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2018 :  15:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finding Porsgrunn as his birth place was positive but the negative side is that Sander is a very uncommon name in Telemark. In the 1865 Census there is only one Sander found for Telemark and not in Porsgrun but in Brevik. However Brevik and Porsgrunn can be considered close enough to be one. He is however of an age where he could have fathered a child in 1876.

Link

However in the 1875 Census he is using the first name of Ingvald, Not married and no children.

Link

In 1875 Census there are a few more Sandersen names in Telemark again mostly in Brevik. Here is a family with the father having the last name Sandersen and the children also using the last name of Sandersen. No Hermann so he would have to have been born after 1875 to fit this family.

Link

You can also search the 1885 Census for Telemark. No Sandersen shows up in Porsgrunn but several in Brevik (Brevig). None named Hermann. The only male named Sandersen and born 1874 plus/minus 2 is Adolf who also shows up in 1875.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 24/03/2018 16:30:10
Go to Top of Page

AngelaBoger
Starting member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2018 :  17:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Finding Porsgrunn as his birth place was positive but the negative side is that Sander is a very uncommon name in Telemark. In the 1865 Census there is only one Sander found for Telemark and not in Porsgrun but in Brevik. However Brevik and Porsgrunn can be considered close enough to be one. He is however of an age where he could have fathered a child in 1876.

Link

However in the 1875 Census he is using the first name of Ingvald, Not married and no children.

Link

In 1875 Census there are a few more Sandersen names in Telemark again mostly in Brevik. Here is a family with the father having the last name Sandersen and the children also using the last name of Sandersen. No Hermann so he would have to have been born after 1875 to fit this family.

Link

You can also search the 1885 Census for Telemark. No Sandersen shows up in Porsgrunn but several in Brevik (Brevig). None named Hermann. The only male named Sandersen and born 1874 plus/minus 2 is Adolf who also shows up in 1875.

Link

In that 1875 census you shared for Ingevald Sorensen, what does this mean? " Smededreng (hos Jeremiasen i Porsgrund)" Does that mean he's visiting someone in Porsgrund?

If the 1875 census was taken very early in the year, it could be possible he had a son born right after it was taken, but it appears to say he's unmarried at that time.

Edited by - AngelaBoger on 24/03/2018 18:00:45
Go to Top of Page

AngelaBoger
Starting member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2018 :  18:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How would a person order one of these books? It's showing me a price list of census records in a book form. There's one for 1891 Prosgrunn, but I don't see how to order it. http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftlst_e.html#Top
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2018 :  21:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Smededreng (hos Jeremiasen i Porsgrund

It means he is working as a blacksmith apprentice at Jeremiassen in Porsgrunn.

For the book try contacting them at this mail address

rhd-web@sv.uit.no

Edited by - AntonH on 25/03/2018 01:27:26
Go to Top of Page

AngelaBoger
Starting member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2018 :  23:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! :) I will do that.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2018 :  00:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a long shot, birthyear doesn't match and last name a bit mangled, so Herman Sandkjen:
https://digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01037167003878
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article