All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 S.S. Lake Simcoe april 1903
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SoniaWarnet
New on board

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2016 :  22:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I looked on the forum but I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. I am hoping you could kindly help me if you can.

My great great grand father and his son, my great grand father came to Canada from Liverpool on the SS Lake Simcoe ship, arriving in St-John New Brunswick on April 16th 1903.

I would like to know stories or facts about this specific trip ( besides the Rendell letters). I know they broke a speed record but I don't know much more.

What was the name of the captain of the Lake Simcoe ship?
What were the life conditons of the crew?

My ancesters, Alexandre and Noel Warnet, were steerage passengers. They left Liverpool on april 8th 1903 and reached St-John on the 16th.

Thank you very much!

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  00:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The info and photos on this website -
http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=lasim
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  17:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alice Rendell's letters are online as you know, and here is a book that seems relevant:
https://books.google.com/books?id=yWa9BwAAQBAJ&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=ss+lake+simcoe,+rendell+letters&source=bl&ots=PEyciIY4FT&sig=2rTSqdWGAVRXNL41e6evjOFJE4Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLybbmgdfKAhWCPCYKHaJqBpYQ6AEIDTAB#v=onepage&q=ss%20lake%20simcoe%2C%20rendell%20letters&f=false

Various archives have materials related to the Barr Settlement in Saskatchewan, Canada and the Rev. Isaac Barr.
http://scaa.sk.ca/gallery/populism/search_metadata.php?ID=18854&status=search&metadata=full&part=14&imagesize=small&ImageStartPage=&ImageEndPage=&&bool1=&field1=RepositoryCode&search1=SSUSC&match1=exact&MediaLimit=&ap=&ln=&browsefield=RepositoryCode&start_display=&exhibit_path=

Edited by - JaneC on 01/02/2016 17:55:33
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  18:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The signature of the Master on the April 1903 journey. What does it say?
Edit: Seems like the Captain is Clarence Troop?

Edited by - jwiborg on 01/02/2016 19:32:39
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  19:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
St. John Daily, May 19, 1904

Go to Top of Page

SoniaWarnet
New on board

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  22:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, thank you all for those replies. It is very much appreciated! Does anyone know how the crew was living? How was it compared to steerage passengers class? Any details about this journey is appreciated and if anyone comes across infomation about my ancesters Alexandre and Noel Warnet I would be delighted to know abour it. I did not find anything about them on this Lake Simcoe ship. Thank you once again!
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  02:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again, is it your Facebook project "Famille Warnet-t" ?
Nice.

Edited by - JaneC on 02/02/2016 02:06:19
Go to Top of Page

SoniaWarnet
New on board

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  00:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes!! You found me!! Our family does not have many details about our past and it's only recently that I've started doing our genealogy. Researches aren't always easy and I am hoping to find more answers about my ancester's journey on this forum. Any detail is more than welcome!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  17:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't appear that either Noel or Alexandre Warnett are Norwegian which is the focus of this site.

Here is an Alexander Warnett b abt 1877 who came to US 1908 or so:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJHP-2DM

Familysearch.org is a freely searchable site which you might find useful in the beginning. Good Luck.
Go to Top of Page

THalseth
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2016 :  19:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new on the forum.

A bit off the topic from the original poster, but this has to do with SS Lake Simcoe April 1903. According to the U.S. Border Crossings from Canada to U.S. records, my great grandfather Johan Martin Halseth disembarked SS Lake Simcoe at Saint John, New Brunswick on 16 April 1903. I have scoured the records from the UK Passenger listing - Liverpool, 8 April 1903 and the Norwegian emigration records and haven't found him anywhere. Alice Rendell in her diary mentioned that the ship pursuer caught 20 stowaways on the ship. I wonder if there is any record that would tell us the names of the 20 stowaways. My family has mentioned that my great grandfather might have been a stowaway. My great grandfather most likely changed his surname from Johansen (or Johannesen) to Halseth when he got to Saint John. He was born in 9 Aug 1880 to Edvard and Pauline Johansen in Økernbråten, Østre Aker, Akershus, Norway. He was christened as Johan Martin Edvardsen, but I believe the family decided to keep the surname Johansen according to the1900 and 1910 Norwegian censuses. I haven't found any records of him besides his baptism and confirmation records. Let me know if I missed something or if anyone knows the names of the 20 stowaways on SS Lake Simcoe. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2016 :  22:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A list from 1900, containing male residents eligible by the Constitution for voting from Vestre Aker parish, shows a factoryworker Johan Martin Johansen, residing at "Edv. Pedersens house" in Nydalen, Vestre Aker
Census-1900, taken December same year, does not list him residing there.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2016 :  23:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is this record for a Johan Martin Johansen from 1903 no month given. However the person is listed as 28 yers, which is a little old for your guy.

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/gen/vis/8/pe00000000531657

Same person different data base.

http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=141288&merk=141288#ovre

Edited by - AntonH on 29/03/2016 01:58:39
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  00:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the record that is probably what you have been using found in Ancestry.com.

Johan Halsett
in the U.S., Border Crossings from Canada to U.S., 1895-1956
Name: Johan Halsett
Birth Date: abt 1881
Race/Nationality: Norwegian
Arrival Date: 17 Apr 1903
Port of Arrival: St John, New Brunswick, Canada
Ship Name: Lake Simcoe
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Residence Place: Nor
Residence Country: Nor
Record Type: Manifests
Line Number: 8

I have looked at the original manifest and noticed the two people directly below him are Iver O Sarlien and Marit O. Sarlien. This link probably shows these two leaving from Oslo April 3, 1903. Have not yet found Johan. Click next for Marit's record.

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/gen/vis/8/pe00000000539330

Here is a different data base with the same information.

http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=148961#nedre

Edited by - AntonH on 29/03/2016 02:08:56
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  01:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

There is this record for a Johan Martin Johansen from 1903 no month given. However the person is listed as 28 yers, which is a little old for your guy.

3 and 8 can easily be mixed when transcribing, so if it reads 23, the age is correct...
Go to Top of Page

THalseth
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  02:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I checked the records and it looks like this Johan Martin Johannesen got on ship Hekla on 21 May 1903 from Kristiania and it went to New York, arriving on 5 Jun that year. So this has to be a different guy.

I keep thinking perhaps my great grandfather might have been a stowaway on both trips - from Kristiania to Hull and again from Liverpool to Saint John, NB. I don't know if that would have been possible.

quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

3 and 8 can easily be mixed when transcribing, so if it reads 23, the age is correct...

Go to Top of Page

THalseth
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  23:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever seen records of stowaways on ships?

Any idea what usually happens to a stowaway if caught by the ship pursuer?

I have thought about the idea of cross checking the UK outgoing passenger list with the US and Canadian Border Crossing lists. Not sure if it would be worthwhile with the name changes, etc..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article