All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 S.S. Lake Simcoe april 1903
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  23:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one experience I had was with a sailor who stowed away on a vessel coming from Cuba (as I recall) on which he was not employed about 1918. He was detained in Florida, apparently put ashore when he was discovered, even though the ship was supposed to be heading to New York which was where he lived.
Go to Top of Page

THalseth
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  07:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any idea the time frame Johan Martin Johansen would have had to leave Oslo in order to catch S.S. Lake Simcoe in Liverpool on 8 April 1903?

Since S.S. Lake Simcoe at that time was under the Beaver Line, Johan Martin likely rode on either S.S. Angelo or S.S. Montebello under the Wilson Line from Oslo to Hull. I looked through the records and still haven't found him.

How long did it take to sail from Oslo to Hull and ride the train from Hull to Liverpool? Were emigrants likely to wait long for the train or for the ship in Liverpool?

Approximately how much did the entire trip cost - Oslo to Hull to Liverpool to Saint John?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  13:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you read through the various articles on this website about length of trips, the transfer in England, etc to learn how many of those questions you can answer in those?

If your man actually was a stowaway as you mention earlier it seems to me he wouldn't be listed in the registers of the Norwegian police as a person contracting to leave as an emigrant.

Edited by - Hopkins on 04/04/2016 14:50:16
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  15:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Original Poster gives a departure date of 3 April with an arrival 17 April for the voyage. At that time 2 weeks is fairly standard for the trans Atlantic voyage. Earlier it is much much longer.
Go to Top of Page

THalseth
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  19:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for referring me to the articles. I had not fully grasped what was available on this website.

Re: stowaway, I just wanted to refute the notion that my great grandfather was a stowaway. I just find it hard to believe he is not listed both on the Norwegian emigration register and in the UK outgoing passenger list. Maybe that's what actually happened and I should accept it as a fact. (smh)

Anyway, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Have you read through the various articles on this website about length of trips, the transfer in England, etc to learn how many of those questions you can answer in those?

If your man actually was a stowaway as you mention earlier it seems to me he wouldn't be listed in the registers of the Norwegian police as a person contracting to leave as an emigrant.

Go to Top of Page

THalseth
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  20:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry I'm lost. You mean SoniaWarnet as the Original Poster on this thread. She mentions only the arrival date 16 April 1903.

S.S. Lake Simcoe made a record of a 8-day journey at that time - from 8 April to 16 April 1903. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

The Original Poster gives a departure date of 3 April with an arrival 17 April for the voyage. At that time 2 weeks is fairly standard for the trans Atlantic voyage. Earlier it is much much longer.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  20:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did your guy ever attempt to become a US citizen?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  20:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by THalseth

I'm sorry I'm lost. You mean SoniaWarnet as the Original Poster on this thread. She mentions only the arrival date 16 April 1903.

S.S. Lake Simcoe made a record of a 8-day journey at that time - from 8 April to 16 April 1903. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

quote:

My bad typo 3 for 8, two weeks is fairly standard time when captain doesn't have a record setting voyage!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  20:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John was apparently a rough and tumble kind of guy. Here's an arrest report:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn88076270/1915-02-25/ed-1/seq-1/#date1=1836&sort=date&rows=20&words=Halseth+John&searchType=basic&sequence=0&index=6&state=North+Dakota&date2=1922&proxtext=john+halseth&y=14&x=15&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1
Go to Top of Page

THalseth
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  20:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, he became a U.S. Citizen in 1910.

quote:

Did your guy ever attempt to become a US citizen?

Go to Top of Page

THalseth
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  20:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's him. Sven Hagen was his brother in law. Didn't know he was a rough and tumble kind of guy.

quote:

John was apparently a rough and tumble kind of guy. Here's an arrest report:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn88076270/1915-02-25/ed-1/seq-1/#date1=1836&sort=date&rows=20&words=Halseth+John&searchType=basic&sequence=0&index=6&state=North+Dakota&date2=1922&proxtext=john+halseth&y=14&x=15&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  21:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the two step process to become a citizen, the first the declaration of intention often contains information about which port the person arrived in in US and usually a month and year of arrival.

I see he also took an original entry homestead which means a 5 year process usually. The declaration of intention is often in the homestead file since it was the minimum requirement to file for a homestead for anyone born elsewhere than the US.
Go to Top of Page

THalseth
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  21:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a copy of his homestead papers. It says he landed at the port of St. Marie on the month of April of 1903. He filed for his homestead in 1905.

Re: previous post about his being arrested, Steve Strom the victim was his adjacent neighbor. It might have been some dispute over loose livestock, access to water, or harassment of some sort.

Johan Martin lost his homestead around that time probably due to taxes. Maybe he ran out of money due to having to pay for his bond. He and the family left the area to work for another farmer. A few years later, he bought land near the original homestead and they moved back. His wife had family in the area.

quote:

In the two step process to become a citizen, the first the declaration of intention often contains information about which port the person arrived in in US and usually a month and year of arrival.

I see he also took an original entry homestead which means a 5 year process usually. The declaration of intention is often in the homestead file since it was the minimum requirement to file for a homestead for anyone born elsewhere than the US.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2016 :  01:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saulte Ste Marie?
http://www.britannica.com/place/Sault-Sainte-Marie-Michigan
Go to Top of Page

THalseth
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2016 :  03:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it is Sault Ste. Marie. I just copied what was on homestead records.

quote:

Saulte Ste Marie?
http://www.britannica.com/place/Sault-Sainte-Marie-Michigan

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article