All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for Great-Grandfather Ole Stenfield's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  17:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The closest I came to the name was in the 1865 Norwegian Census with the farm name Steenfjeld and a John Johnson, which fooled me into thinking that he was perhaps the father of Ole. This John Johnson carried the farm name forward to the 1900 Norwegian Census where he was listed as John Johnsen Stenfjeld. The 1865 farm Steenfjeld was in the Parish of Grong and as we have seen from much of the data posted by Einar, that parish is closely connected with Ole and his family.

There were four families living on Steenfjeld in the 1865 census and at least three of them are listed for occupation as (nomadiserende). So perhaps Ole worked and lived there for a brief time before he left in 1898 and ended up using that farm name.

However I cannot find a farm name like that in the Oluf Rygg list for Grong.

And that name is gone in the 1900 Census. The closest name is Stenaamoen.

Edited by - AntonH on 04/12/2016 17:38:54
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  18:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed the the book History of Alaskan Domesticated Ungulates in online and does mention your Ole.

Ole Johansen Stenfjeld. March 20. —Ole Keogh. March 27 ...... hundred of theseanimals in Norway and Lapland and their shipment across the Atlantic and the

Link here scroll down as the book starts off with some dark pages

https://hlrm120.community.uaf.edu/files/2013/10/annualreportonin1899unit.pdf

From the book Section 12

Herders.—On the 30th of July, 1898, (>7 Laphmders, Finns, and Norwegians, with their families, reached the Eaton Reindeer Sta- tion.their contract with the (Jovernment expired on flanuary 31, 1899, and receiving their discharge from the service of the AVar Department they went to the placei- mines near Cape Nome, where the larger number of them secured mines.They left the station for the mines at Golovin Bay and Cape Nome as follows:
"1899"
March 10. —Ole Johansen Stenfjeld.

This would indicate that Ole Johansen Stnefjeld was likely living in or around Cape Nome when the 1900 Census was taken. I have not found him.

I also wonder about my posting of Ole Johnsens arrival into Canada in 1898. There are some things that match i.e. arrival year of 1898, the birth year of this Ole and the reference to Fladanger, traveling to Seattle-Tacoma. However it also would make sense that he travelled with the rest of the group on the ship Manitoban since he seems to have been with the group for all of its activities.

Edited by - AntonH on 04/12/2016 23:23:11
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  19:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps in answer to Janes question about the census listing of Lapperne i Overhalsen. It also may answer the Stenfjeld question. As the author explains it as a Saami counting district not as a farm.

I Overhalla prestegjeld, som i dag tilsvarer Røyrvik, Namsskogan, Høylandet, Grong og Overhalla kommuner, var det talt opp over 100 samer som et eget ”sogn”; Lapperne i Overhalden. Disse var alle satt opp med tilhold på ulike ”fjell”; Tromsfjeld, Stenfjeld osv. som tilsvarte den norske ”gård” som tellingsenhet. Sammenlikna med folketellingsopplysningene fra 1801 for Bindal, Nærøy og Vikna kan det da virke som om opplysningene for Overhalla er fullstendige eller pålitelige. Slik er det nok ikke.

Here is the Google Translation which is fairly clear.

In Overhalla parish, which today corresponds Røyrvik, Namsskogan, Highlands, Grong and Overhalla municipalities, it was counted over 100 Sami as a separate "parish"; Lapps in Over Halden. These were all set up residing on different "mountain"; Troms Fjeld, Sten Fjeld etc. Which corresponded to the Norwegian "farm" as counting device. Compared with census data from 1801 for Bindal, Nærøy and Vikna can it seem as though the information for Overhalla is complete or reliable. So it is probably not.

The paragraph was taken from this dissertation.

http://www.nfk.no/Handlers/fh.ashx?FilId=11242

Edited by - AntonH on 05/12/2016 01:50:34
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  20:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found Steinfjellet on the map, see Stoerrebaertie in the sami language.
Zoom to see that there is both norwegian and sami language names in this area of the map.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 04/12/2016 20:30:58
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  21:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So interesting!

1891 census
Ole Jonas Jonassen and family
link

Edited by - JaneC on 04/12/2016 23:20:16
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  00:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This family belonged to what the old censuses named "Fjellfinner" Mountain-finns because they lived as nomades unlike "Sjøfinner" Sea-finns who lived along the coast in permanent houses.

Today we use the name Same (Sami) to avoid what many consider as a discriminating word of the indigenous people

There are many persons in the Snåsa area named Stenfjell (Stone-mountain) today.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/12/2016 00:09:14
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  00:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curious why was Ole's wife emphatic that he was "not Lapplander or Saami, but Norwegian"? (from the opening post) Certainly he was Norwegian - born in Norway and a citizen of Norway - but of Sami (Lapp) heritage, right?

Edited by - JaneC on 05/12/2016 01:25:24
Go to Top of Page

Rachel_Turner
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  02:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JaneC:

Yes, I am curious too. I suspect her emphatic stance is associated with feelings of prejudice. For example, I recently read a diary of a woman with Sami heritage from Alaska who was 1/2 Eskimo and 1/2 Lap. As a child, she was often called "dirty little Lap" when she played with children on one side of the river, and "dirty little Eskimo" when she played with children on the other side of the river. Our family does have a history of prejudice. My Great-Great Grandfather, who was German, apparently actively discouraged all of his daughters from marrying Eskimo men (even though they were all 1/2 Eskimo), and I suspect he may have held similar prejudices against Laplanders. The question I still have is whether Ole attempted to pass as non-Lap, thus convincing my Great-Grandmother and her father that he was non-Lap, or whether my Great-Grandmother knew he was Lap, and told my father (her grandson) otherwise. I am very proud of my Eskimo heritage, and to learn that I am also indigenous Sami is very exiting to me.

Rachel M. Turner
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  09:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sami people, ca 40 000 in Norway, are 100% Norwegian, but have their own Parliament and flag. Every Norwegian who have spoken Sami at home, or have a parent, grandparent or Ggrandparent who spoke Sami at home has the right to vote in the election to the Sami Parliament.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  16:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also interesting (re Sami parliament etc)

Here is the 1898 trip departure for the trip arrival Anton posted earlier - Ole Johns. Udvoren, age 25, residence Flatanger, departing Trondheim bound for Seattle: link

in Grong
Jonas Torkelsen 45 born in Grong
Elen Olsdatter 65 born in Vefsen
Torkel Jonassen 24 born in Sverige
....a foster child
link

Here are the adjacent locations, including Steenfjeld: link

Edited by - JaneC on 05/12/2016 19:04:09
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  17:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on Ole leaving Norway, Jane. Maybe we can eliminate him.

There is a farm Udvorden in Nord-Trøndelag so may not be the Ole of this topic.

In the 1875 Norwegian Census there are three John or Johan living at the farm Udvorden, municipality Flatanger of the age to have fathered a child Ole around 1873.

Here is a Ole Johnsen born 1873 living at Udvorden in the 1875 Census.

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1875&knr=1749&kenr=003&bnr=0023&lnr=00

Here is his baptism record, see number 41.

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20050503030796

I think he is a better fit than Ole Johnson Steinfield for the person traveling to Quebec in 1898.

I rather suspect that Ole Johnson Steinfeld traveled on the Manitobian along with the other herders and the reindeer in 1898.

Edited by - AntonH on 05/12/2016 18:15:08
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  18:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I think we can eliminate the Ole who travelled to Canada in 1898. Here is likely the brother of Ole Johansen Udvorden, named Johan traveling to Tacoma in 1889.

https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/gen/vis/8/pe00000000103340
Go to Top of Page

Rachel_Turner
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  19:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding Ole's date of birth: I think most U.S. Census documents from the early 1900's are showing 1874 (although I've seen a few that estimate 1879). There is a birth date of May 3, 1874 that seems to show up frequently for him.

Regarding emigration route taken from Norway: My first inclination was that he took the Manitoban.

Rachel M. Turner
Go to Top of Page

Rachel_Turner
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  19:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kare:

A question regarding establishing Sami heritage: How do people in Norway formally establish Sami heritage? In the US if you have American Indian or Alaska Native heritage there is a procedure for establishing your bloodline as a direct descendant of an Alaska Native enrollee. Is there a similar procedure for establishing Sami heritage?

Rachel M. Turner
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  19:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, without meaning to interrupt your question to Kåre, Ole was born 03 May 1873 according to his birth-baptism record and according to his confirmation record. Not sure of the intent of your birth date comment but it is normal for the birth year to vary in later life records.

Earlier it was said Ole Jonas Jonassen (Johnson) lived at Almenningen in 1891. Yet we found him listed with his family at Fjøsvandet in Bjørnør. On the link is an Ole Jonas Jonassen born 1873 Bjørnør as a hired man living away from family at Alminding in Bjørnør, so seemingly he was enumerated twice.
link

Ordering copies of naturalization papers can be a bit pricey (declaration of intent followed by final papers) but may tell more about his arrival in the USA. Posted earlier, this may be your Ole Johnsen Stenfield filing declaration of intent in Jefferson county, Washington, in June 1898. To a Norwegian of this era, a "j" and "i" were interchangeable.
link

The herders (and herd) of the Manitoban passed through Port Townsend, Jefferson county, Washington when?? I thought I read several months earlier, in March 1898.

The herders of the Manitoban were said to be recruited in Finnmark, which if true is not a geographical fit for Ole. But certainly doesn't rule out that he could have connected with the expedition.

Crew for Klondike
Colorado Chieftain 1898
link

Group photo of the herders 1898:
link

Edited by - JaneC on 05/12/2016 22:18:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article