All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for Great-Grandfather Ole Stenfield's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  21:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rachel_Turner

Kare:

A question regarding establishing Sami heritage: How do people in Norway formally establish Sami heritage? In the US if you have American Indian or Alaska Native heritage there is a procedure for establishing your bloodline as a direct descendant of an Alaska Native enrollee. Is there a similar procedure for establishing Sami heritage?

I am a bad teacher
Perhaps your question can answered here

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/12/2016 21:22:07
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  22:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To answer Janes question on the timing of the arrival in Washington and in Alaska I looked at the report.

INTRODUCTION OF DOMESTIC RlilNDIiHR INTO ALASKA.

"The 67 Laplanders, Finns, and Norwegians and their families who were brought from arctic Norwa}^ in connection Avith the relief of destitute peoples in the mining regions of Alaska arrived at the P^aton Reindeer Station, Unalaklik, July 30, 1898, and on the 31st of Jaiuuiry, 1899, they were transferred from the care of the War Department to that of the Interior.

Tho reindeer were landed fi'oiii the ocean steamer on the 27th of March, 1898, at Haines, Alaska."

The Declaration of Naturalization took place in Jefferson County, Washington on 18 June 1898. So there is perhaps time for Ole to have filed out Naturalization papers in the state of Washington before the ship sailed to Alaska. But the reindeer would have had to have arrived earlier, I am not sure that makes any sense.

Ole Johndsen Stenfjeld
in the Washington, Naturalizations, 1853-1980
Name: Ole Johndsen Stenfjeld
Record Type: Declaration
Declaration Date: 18 Jun 1898
Declaration Place: Jefferson, Washington, USA

Edited by - AntonH on 06/12/2016 00:46:12
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  22:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another Herder who was released from Service on March 27, 1899. From the above report.

March 27. —Lauritz Larsen

This is likely him from Ancestry.com

Lauritz Larsen
in the Washington, Naturalizations, 1853-1980
Name: Lauritz Larsen
Declaration Date: 17 Jun 1898

And a whole group released on March 1,, 1999.

March 1- Thoralf Kjeldberg, Wilhelm Basi, Otto M Leinan, and Ole G. Berg.

Found one of them.

Name: Ole G Berg
Declaration Date: 17 Jun 1898

Also found Otto M. Leinan, found Base as William Basje There were twenty Declarations on 17 Jun 1898 in Jefferson, Washington.

There were five Declarations on 18 Jun, 1898 including Ole and a quick look turns up three of them from the report, Ole, Karl Ove Sutre, and Thoralf Hedevin Kjeldsberg.

There were a total of 25 Declarations in June, 1898 in Jefferson County.

Edited by - AntonH on 05/12/2016 23:42:02
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  00:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my!!!! Great find!!

This certainly means Rachel's Ole is indeed the Ole Johnsen Stenfjeld who filed a declaration of intent to become a citizen in June 1898 in Washington, as his record is adjacent to cohorts.

I still don't understand the timing. The Manitoban expedition recuperates near Seattle/Port Townsend in early March. They sail south to San Francisco? And in any case then north to Alaska.

They arrive Alaska by late March 1898.

Yet Ole and colleagues are in Washington again the following June 1898, right?

So they have to leave Alaska after arriving and travel south to Jefferson county, Washington, to file for citizenship in June 1898...

...then north to Alaska again? Certainly possible but sort of a long journey to accomplish that errand.

But anyway, wow, Great find Anton!!

Edited by - JaneC on 06/12/2016 02:26:10
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  01:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A list of Lapland reindeer drivers and others January and February 1898 includes Ole Johnson Stenfield. From "Report on Introduction of Domestic Reindeer into Alaska," Vol 8, page 106. Sheldon Jackson
link

Without having studied this work or the whole of Sheldon Jackson, in a quick look, it seems the date refers to a recruitment period.

He is on the "From Karasjok" list, with a note "fr Røros".
link"

Karasjok
link

What an adventurous undertaking, for these drivers who signed on!

(Fyi Anton the link to a report you posted earlier didn't work for me, but you posted the relevant info...)

Edited by - JaneC on 06/12/2016 02:35:20
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  02:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed timing is strange at best. I think it is highly unlikely that he or the other herders were in Jefferson County in June of 1898. They were likely in Alaska by then. Why are they registered in Jefferson for a Declaration then is a question. Also only 25 of the 67 herders were listed for a Declaration. What about the rest of the group?

Also the online copy of the report you have posted is different than the one I provided a link to . Yours has some Norwegian paragraphs but my link is all in English. Pages are quite different as well.

My link works when I use it so here it is again. It is a PDF document.

https://hlrm120.community.uaf.edu/files/2013/10/annualreportonin1899unit.pdf

Let me know if it works.

The rep;ort you have linked to has a different title and date than the one I linked to, same author.

Yours is Introduction of Domestic Reindeer into Alaska 1898

and mine is

Introduction of Domestic Reindeer into Alaska Ninth Annual Report 1899.

So it may not be surprising that it differs quite a bit in content.

In the Table of Contents on your report, the title of page 12 is Herds and in mine on page 12 is the title Herders.

There is a two page discussion of Herders in my report that I have not found in yours.

I hope that you can use the link I provided since I do not seem to be able to copy and paste very well from this document.

Edited by - AntonH on 06/12/2016 03:32:25
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  02:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's so much documentation of this endeavor that perhaps it's possible to uncover at least some of answers with further research - that Rachel can do.

Edited by - JaneC on 07/12/2016 14:34:23
Go to Top of Page

Rachel_Turner
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  03:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear All:

This document indicates a timeline for the 1898 caravan first traveling on the Manitoban: https://www.nps.gov/akso/beringia/projects/Products/2007/CEED-Final%20Catalog-1-52(b).pdf Apparently they traveled from Bessekop, Norway -> New York (on the S/S Manitobian) ->Seattle, WA USA (by train) -> Haines, Alaska -> Unalakleet, Alaska (by boat). They reached Unalakleet on July 27, 1898. Coincidentally, Unalakleet, Alaska is the birthplace of my grandmother (his daughter); however, many years later. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing a date for when the caravan arrived in Seattle.

My apologies, the link is not working: The name of the document is "The Sami Reindeer people of Alaska". I found it on google, and it is a pdf.

Edited by - Rachel_Turner on 06/12/2016 03:20:23
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  03:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course, the timing in 1897-1898 means that the reindeer were part of the "Gold Rush" era. Just looking at news coverage there were numerous initiatives reported to bring reindeer to Alaska during 1897-1898. Some were government sponsored and funded and at least one shipment of 40, particularly ill fated to have lost all but 15 of the reindeer on the voyage, was ordered by a private individual. The reason for the Manitoban to carry the reindeer and their drivers and herders was because the Canadian Pacific was the apparent winner of the bid.

But strangely in the Grand Forks Herald (Grand Forks, N.D.) published on 4 Mar 1898, was a report that the Grand Forks railroad depot was expected to see the reindeer in town about 5 o' clock that day. The whole outfit was travelling by train in two sections from Jersey City, N.J. to Seattle. While at St. Paul a switch from the Chicago, Milwaukee and St Paul railroad was made to the Great Northern railway for the rest of the trip and the trip was expected to take 6 1/4 days from coast to coast. Counted as passengers were listed 43 Laplanders, 10 Finns and 15 Norwegians + their families for a total of 113 people.

The train consisted of: 2 sleeping cars, 2 cooking cars, 28 stock cars, 10 box cars, 5 baggage cars. In addition to the 537 reindeer were 418 sleds, 511 reindeer tack, 3,000 bags of moss.

The Seattle Daily Times on Tuesday 8 Mar 1898 reports that "the Government's reindeer herd" arrived yesterday evening, so 7 March 1898.

Edited by - jkmarler on 06/12/2016 12:51:54
Go to Top of Page

Rachel_Turner
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  03:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am capable of conducting the research that pertains to the US side (the time after Ole immigrated to Alaska). I needed help researching my heritage on the Norwegian side, especially since I don't speak Norwegian. All of you have provided more than ample help in that regard. What you have uncovered is fascinating and answers so many questions (or at least gives many clues) we have had regarding our Grandfather. Thank you so much. My aunt, whom I have been sending your genealogical research on Ole to, is especially grateful.

Rachel M. Turner
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  03:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Rachel, sometimes they link together and it is hard to separate them. So we just keep churning out the information and probably go back and forth from the US to Norway and we expect you to sort it all out.

You seem to be more interested in the Norwegian data. If so you are going to have to step out of your comfort zone. You can obtain the pages in the Bygdebok that Einar refers to when he obtained the information on Ole and his family in Bjørnør, Sør-Trøndelag. The information will be in Norwegian but it is not that complicated. They use the same terms over and over again i.e. birth, marriage and death so with the help of an online dictionary and Google Translate you can do fairly well.

The book I would start with is

Brattgjerd, S. Bjørnørfolket, v. 2 1993 DL576.B575 B73 Farms Osen herred (part II)

Einar can probably tell us what pages we should start with.

You cannot use the link that Einar gave us for the online book at Nasjonalbiblioteket since you need an Norwegian IP Address to use that site.

However you can obtain use of the book through your local Family History Library or you can obtain scanned copies of the pages of interest from the Research Librarian at the University of North Dakota. They will charge you a very reasonable fee but it is well worth it.

I will email Michael Swanson of UND and see if they have a copy of the book.

Edited by - AntonH on 06/12/2016 04:23:56
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  04:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Einar can you provide us with the volume of the Bjørnør Bygdebok and the specific pages in that book for the information you found on Jonas Torkilsen (1819) - 1895). It may be time for Rachel to start digging in the Norwegian records. As far as I an tell we cannot use the Link you provided to Nasjonalbiblioteket as it has informed me that one needs a Norwegian IP address.

When I have tried to use the service I get this message.

Bokhylla.no is an online service giving users with Norwegian IP addresses access to every book published in Norway up until 2000.

Edited by - AntonH on 06/12/2016 04:33:36
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  13:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My posting 03/12/2016 : 09:35:07 is a translation into English from Bjørnørboka regarding who lived at Andalslia in 1875.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 06/12/2016 15:07:44
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  16:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Enar, I am also interested in which Voume and which page in the book did the translation come fomr.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  20:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here it is:
Sigurd Brattgjerd
Bjørnørfolket
Gårds-og slektshistorie for Bjørnør
Osen Bind II
Page 478

Einar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article