All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The ships
 Bark Juno's trip from Bergen to Quebec 1856
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maryhektner
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2017 :  22:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have reason to believe that my ancestors Sjur and Marta Gullicksen (Dyrdal) and their children may have travelled to America on the Bark Juno. They registered to leave the Aurland parish (Sogn og Fjordane) on April 20, 1856. The Juno departed Bergen on April 30, 1856 and arrived at Quebec July 5, 1856.

Our family lore is that their ship (name unknown) was blown off course, almost down to the Bahamas, then turned north, finally arriving in port on the 4th of July. The family ran out of food during the voyage and the youngest child Botolv, age about 1.5 years old, died and was buried at sea. When they finally landed, the captain got a contract to haul pig Iron up the Great Lakes, possibly to Minnesota and the family stayed on board for the rest of the trip. It is said that they were on board almost 3 months. When they landed they travelled by ox cart to Southern Minnesota.

I know that no passenger records exist for this voyage but I am hoping for suggestions on trying to gather info about the Juno's voyage that might help to shed light on the family story. Might there be an account of the voyage, or a record of the Juno going inland from Quebec? I do not how to research these questions and would appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2017 :  00:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An article from the Bergen newspaper Bergensposten in May 1856:

Bergen, May 3rd.
On April 30th, the barque Juno headed by Captain M. Huun was cleared for Quebec with 170 emigrants.
In addition to this ship, 7 more ships are said to be headed for America with all together about 1500 Passengers.
Several of these are leaving behind good farms in their home country.
The desire for emigration have epidemically hitten the people in the Voss area, and the properties fall sharply in value for this reason.
What we would like, is to give an urgent warning against this, in our opinion, wanton greed from the certain to the uncertain.
But in these times heavy migration to the West we should refrain from that; because nothing is more thankless than to speak to deaf ears.
Go to Top of Page

maryhektner
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2017 :  16:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this very interesting article!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article